• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ramyeon

What about this "battle skill" section that has close to 100 already unlocked skills o_o;;
Apparently
Kirito's items and skills become "corrupt" on floor 76, not sure what affect this has and if it does depower him and make him lose those skills and how many are lost.
I guess just keep playing and see what happens haha.
Not quite. Your damage doesn't increase at high risk. If you have high risk level you'll end up taking more damage. The player will do more damage if the enemy has a high risk level.
Ah I see, but damage dealt decreases with lower risk right?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I guess I'm supposed to explore the Hollow areas to get good equips and whatnot to tackle the actual floors. The only thing I have accomplished it beating some lv 120 golem thing for an ore and damn was that tough.

Yukianesa

Neo Member
Dual wielding is stupid. I want a spear. Am I gimped if I just say eff it and go spear?

Absolutely not, almost every weapon is viable in some way. You can beat any boss with any weapon given the proper setup.

If you're talking about wanting to completely overpower level 250+ bosses... well, that's a different story.

Ah I see, but damage dealt decreases with lower risk right?

The enemy's risk level affects how much damage is being dealt by the player. A lower enemy risk level will mean you deal less damage to them. Maximize damage by risk breaking the enemy.

The player's risk level doesn't affect damage dealt, it only affects how much damage is received by the player.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I guess I'm supposed to explore the Hollow areas to get good equips and whatnot to tackle the actual floors. The only thing I have accomplished it beating some lv 120 golem thing for an ore and damn was that tough.

Actually it's the complete opposite. Hollow Fragment is much tougher than the actual floors themselves. It's probably a better idea to climb up a few floors and hope for some better equipment before challenging Hollow Fragment again if you're having trouble.

Just don't finish all the floors before completing Hollow Fragment!

Played around 2 hours while a couple of my friends were online playing Diablo 3. At a certain point they were trying to figure out what I was playing, no one heard of this game. I have a lot of reading up to do about gameplay mechanics. But so far so good, it really feels like a missing episode.

PewPewK

So is there any decent tutorial or video out there for understanding the battle mechanics? Their introduction in the game itself was shit. Philia keeps asking for a stun, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

The first post can help you with some of the basic stuff that we learned as we played through our import copies. But really the game is meant to be played with your own style in mind, the skill subtree allows you to go crazy with how you want to approach situations. Buffing yourself, debugging enemies, along with your weapon of choice and attack skills all depend on your preference, and really once you start seeing how the game works you will have no problems challenging enemies that are 50 levels or more ahead of you :)

Middle bar at the bottom of your screen, measures how long you can keep on pressing O until it depletes, you are better off just auto attacking after that, or use skills since the damage drops by a ton if you just keep on mashing O. Ways of bringing it back up quickly is by, I believe either parrying or dodging attacks effectively, and of course, switching with your partner.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

do whatever you want really. if you want new areas progress in story, new gear find chests to loot

Parakeetman

So is there any decent tutorial or video out there for understanding the battle mechanics? Their introduction in the game itself was shit. Philia keeps asking for a stun, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Check the OT seriously. have a bunch of vids that another gaf user linked us to which is explanation bout game mechanic stuff

just reupdated it last night adding reviews and a few other links and info

ramyeon

Yep, anyone confused should definitely check out Havian's playlist of videos on SAO on YouTube. Been watching them for awhile now and they're super in depth with just about every part of the game. From combat, to the relationships building and even individual weapon styles and skills.

It's also pretty much spoiler free so far as the story content is concerned.

darkwing

Pina is a cutie

Finally made it through the recap portion, have to say if you liked the anime, you are going to love the game, hearing the opening song in the game, wow

Parakeetman

Can I just play this and experiment without worrying about missables?

if you dont mind missing two trophies shouldnt be a problem.

though if you are a collector freak you might get stressed if you dont get the last hit bonus on the floor boss for the item that they give when defeated

Parakeetman

Purchase it a bit earlier. There are like three DLC outfits you might miss out on.

not to mention by the time you start everyone else will be far later in the game

sides for the 10000000000000 time now a lot of the patch content in terms of new areas is high lv stuff anyways.

Parakeetman

If you keep on upgrading your weapon, the higher chance it will break?

ah you will have to advance the story too to raise lisbeths skill.

but generally dont try to upgrade if the success rate is low as it will mess with durability or reverse the stats

Steel

Banned
if someone figures out how to get xlink kai or adhoc party working with the game it would be possible to play the coop mode

Hmm, I've been playing dissidia on adhoc party, does SAO not work the same way? Curious. In either case, got a couple friends to buy in by sending em screenshots and giving them my impressions. Fun battle system so far, like the hub town too.

Parakeetman

Hmm, I've been playing dissidia on adhoc party, does SAO not work the same way? Curious. In either case, got a couple friends to buy in by sending em screenshots and giving them my impressions. Fun battle system so far, like the hub town too.

it should work just that we never tested it here yet. the community would go nuts if it does work haha

darkwing

Uh I'll do that option later, there's so much to do in the world, seems overwhelming at first, I guess you need to concentrate on one thing at a time lol

Mendrox

This game is TOO BIG for me.

I think I will play Tales first because I would be spending 100+hrs on SAO if I don't stop now.

Tales are another 50-60 hours :p Have fun!

only a few hours to go including finishing work... cannot wait! I will even go home earlier. :)

MSMrRound

what is this Bridal Carry stuff with your partner

You can only do it at Mood Level 5 onwards. Don't attempt it at any other stages if not their mood will reset back to zero.

Also, if you are bridal carrying the girls, make sure that you are not seen by the other female leads, if not their mood will reset to zero.

Here's what I usually do:

If I'm not wrong Vita R2 button is for "right!" or whatsoever, O button is for the passive responses.

Sit with them at the benches around the teleport gate:

When they talk about "...legendary bench/table" or whatever hit O. Most of the other answers you can just answer with R2 which lead to more affection points gained.

Your point is to fill the affection bar by using your limited energy talk bar (which will increase the higher friendship level you have with the heroine) the correct answers so that it fills out and progress to the next level. Should you fail though, don't worry. They will gain some friendship exp as well.

If benches don't work, I find Kirito's rooom to be a very good place for conversations as well, it's easy because most of the responses are "right!", except for the "...the two of us" thingy.

Once you get their mood to level 5, this is what you need to do to get to sexy time bed talk.

Best place to do so is Kirito's room. Once you get them to level 5 [Mood=In Love], exit your room so that you go to level 1 of the Inn. Proceed to talk to partner character and select bridal carry with them (other heroines will start walking into the inn so act fast!).

Once you bridal carry them, their mood will change to Level 6 [Infatuated]

DO NOT CHANGE CAMERA CAMERA OR WHATSOEVER JUST IN CASE YOU WANT A CLOSER LOOK AT THEM OR PEEK UP THEIR SKIRTS. CHANGING CAMERA ANGLE MIGHT CAUSE THEM TO LOSE THEIR AFFECTION, PUTTING YOU BACK AT STAGE ZERO.

Bridal carry them up the stairs->screen change to Kirito's room and their mood will automatically change to "Lost"

Carry them near the bed and they will indicate they want to lie down on the bed.

It will then change into yet another conversation when you need to fill the affection gauge. Fill it to the max and you will unlock a scene with the heroine (there are three different scenarios from the last time I tried it with Strea)

Bittercup

Just to be sure since I'm OCD about missable trophies but paranoid about spoilers when reading trophy guides:
To avoid having to replay the game I have to make sure no one dies during boss battles and I get the last attack bonus.
And romance every girl.
That's all to keep in mind and I can enjoy the game without worrying about anything else?

Top Bottom