• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm guessing Rapier for fast attacking and Mace for brute force?

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

sorry what i mean is the battle skills, non combat ones are a must from those branches

rapier has accuracy and sp up.

mace has status recovery.

though for actual attacks the mace is useful if you want to stunlock something. take mogura and or lisbeth for some lulz. just know that a lot of the mace skills have knockback so keep that in mind when trying to follow up an attack.

nynt9

Ok, I have the game, but I don't really get the combat system. I just spam O, occasionally use square, and sometimes L+O. When my partner tells me to use a sword attack, I use L+O but it doesn't always result in a double attack. Then she tells me to stun the enemy, I don't know what to do. I'm fairly certain I'm playing the game completely wrong.

Ok, I have the game, but I don't really get the combat system. I just spam O, occasionally use square, and sometimes L+O. When my partner tells me to use a sword attack, I use L+O but it doesn't always result in a double attack. Then she tells me to stun the enemy, I don't know what to do. I'm fairly certain I'm playing the game completely wrong.
If you're still using default skills. I'm pretty sure Square has the skill that Stuns assigned to it.

Though it only seems to work when it's completely cooled down.

Yukianesa

Neo Member
I definitely had to go more than half way for some of them, also there's 4 parameters for each stat isn't there? Sword Skill + 3 unique parameters. Sword Skill definitely counts towards getting the outfits.

Sorry, yeah I meant all four parameters.

It's either half way or a bit more than that.

It's difficult to gauge the exact requirements because there's no way of telling when you unlock a costume, but I'm certain you don't need do more than half/slightly more than half.

Use EXT Onslaught to stun enemies. That's the square button if you haven't reconfigured your skills.

You shouldn't need to spam circle for burst attacks. It's probably a better idea to auto-attack to regenerate SP quickly and then use one of your sword skills to finish off the enemy. If you want to use burst attacks, be on the lookout for "Just Attacks" so that you can keep your risk level as low as possible.

Your partner might ask for a co-operative attack or ask you to use a sword skill. Depending on which it is, you might not see the cut-in where both you and your partner use sword skills at the same time.

The battle system is fairly open, there's no wrong way of playing the game unless you're auto-attacking everything to death.

Go to OT's first page, scroll till you see Stuarts comprehensive guide link. He quoted a few posts of mine and I touch up on that stuff.

Come on guys most of this simple info is all there. :p And plus this is a game of experimentation, you have to try things out!

ramyeon

Sorry, yeah I meant all four parameters.

It's either half way or a bit more than that.

It's difficult to gauge the exact requirements because there's no way of telling when you unlock a costume, but I'm certain you don't need do more than half/slightly more than half.

Use EXT Onslaught to stun enemies. That's the square button if you haven't reconfigured your skills.

You shouldn't need to spam circle for burst attacks. It's probably a better idea to auto-attack to regenerate SP quickly and then use one of your sword skills to finish off the enemy. If you want to use burst attacks, be on the lookout for "Just Attacks" so that you can keep your risk level as low as possible.

Your partner might ask for a co-operative attack or ask you to use a sword skill. Depending on which it is, you might not see the cut-in where both you and your partner use sword skills at the same time.

The battle system is fairly open, there's no wrong way of playing the game unless you're auto-attacking everything to death.
Yeah it's annoying that it doesn't alert you when it unlocks. When I did Asuna I checked after every battle after awhile though, definitely didn't pop till I maxed or nearly maxed both Sword Skill and Stun in the Buff graph. May have been because all the other parameters in that graph were basically empty though.

Voror

sorry what i mean is the battle skills, non combat ones are a must from those branches

rapier has accuracy and sp up.

mace has status recovery.

though for actual attacks the mace is useful if you want to stunlock something. take mogura and or lisbeth for some lulz. just know that a lot of the mace skills have knockback so keep that in mind when trying to follow up an attack.

Ah, my bad. Still getting used to the systems and whatnot.

I'll keep all this in mind, thank you.

Ryuukan

conquered

tlxhia.jpg

good night sweet prince

Why no body told me that rappiers were so op! o_O

They kind of aren't lol, they are one of the weakest, if not the weakest weapon you can use. Skills get broken halfway by your enemy easily, they aren't quick, and the damage is so so. I guess you could get away with the defensive debuffs on the enemy, but honestly, as soon as I got my SP skills, I never used it again.

pixxxelz

They kind of aren't lol, they are one of the weakest, if not the weakest weapon you can use. Skills get broken halfway by your enemy easily, they aren't quick, and the damage is so so. I guess you could get away with the defensive debuffs on the enemy, but honestly, as soon as I got my SP skills, I never used it again.
I'm kicking ass with them tbh, I haven't tested most of the weapons though

I'm kicking ass with them tbh, I haven't tested most of the weapons though

Eh, wait until you use and level up a 2 handed axe, or a katana with the SP skills that you got from the rapier. Also although doable, if you are new to the game I would not recommend using it against high leveled foes. You would need some good skill management to be able to pull skills off without having your animations broken, not to mention putting in a good dent in the enemy's HP bar. Do use it if you like it and get those SP skills, but I can't really say anything notable about it, but that I like to use it when I want to challenge myself even more against high levelled enemies.

Parakeetman

Eh, wait until you use and level up a 2 handed axe, or a katana with the SP skills that you got from the rapier. Also although doable, if you are new to the game I would not recommend using it against high leveled foes. You would need some good skill management to be able to pull skills off without having your animations broken, not to mention putting in a good dent in the enemy's HP bar. Do use it if you like it and get those SP skills, but I can't really say anything notable about it, but that I like to use it when I want to challenge myself even more against high levelled enemies.

there might actually be footage of me fighting a
golem
with the rapier on my yt chan. am pretty sure i posted it in here somewhere.

there might actually be footage of me fighting a
golem
with the rapier on my yt chan. am pretty sure i posted it in here somewhere.

I think I remember you posting it quite a while back. It can be quite the struggle to actually get a fight finished with it. For me it's the fact that one little touch and your whole skill animation will break. The rapier also has in my opinion the longest animations too, so putting that together with the fact that it inflicts low damage and that it breaks easily, one can see why it isn't an ideal weapon in this game.

pixxxelz

its an ok support weapon but for actual firepower a lot of other weapons outclass it.
I see, like I said though I haven't used most of the weapons yet, but so far the rappier seems to be my favorite

I'm eager to try the katana actually but I don't think I have one yet, (I'm not sure though) I did try the two handed axe and I can say I'm not very fond of it, I might give it a chance later but right now rappier it is, thanks for the heads up though I'll try not to waste all my skill points in it

I see, like I said though I haven't used most of the weapons yet, but so far the rappier seems to be my favorite

I'm eager to try the katana actually but I don't think I have one yet, (I'm not sure though) I did try the two handed axe and I can say I'm not very fond of it, I might give it a chance later but right now rappier it is, thanks for the heads up though I'll try not to waste all my skill points in it

The thing about the katana is that in order to actually be able to use it, just like the 2Handed Sword you will need to unlock it's skill tree first, by maxing the Scimitar for the Katana, and the 1Handed sword for the 2Handed Sword. Just like Parakeet said I would start with the rapier for the SP skills, then go with the Mace for the status skills. After these two important ones are out of the way, I would max the Scimitar out and get the Katana. I won't get into specifics with it, but it is in my opinion the best weapon of the bunch.

Parakeetman

combining the katana with the 2h axe battle skills makes for a pretty good combination, just know that the katana is not exactly made for dealing with lots of enemies at once it is more a focus weapon

the scimitar is an unusual weapon with odd sword skills but it at least does decent damage. the hard part is finding a decent scimitar

ramyeon

I know some people were confused about Strea and changing her stat graphs. You don't need to reset her to do it (In fact resetting her will just revert her to the way she was at the start anyway). It may take longer than other heroines since her graphs are all balanced and they need to be skewed the other way first, but it does work if you're praising the right actions consistently. Half way to getting her Def outfit and I didn't touch her battle tactics menu at all.

pixxxelz

The thing about the katana is that in order to actually be able to use it, just like the 2Handed Sword you will need to unlock it's skill tree first, by maxing the Scimitar for the Katana, and the 1Handed sword for the 2Handed Sword. Just like Parakeet said I would start with the rapier for the SP skills, then go with the Mace for the status skills. After these two important ones are out of the way, I would max the Scimitar out and get the Katana. I won't get into specifics with it, but it is in my opinion the best weapon of the bunch.

combining the katana with the 2h axe battle skills makes for a pretty good combination, just know that the katana is not exactly made for dealing with lots of enemies at once it is more a focus weapon

Then that means at least I'm on the right track XD, thanks for the advice guys

ramyeon

Scratch what I said before, Strea is really easy to change. At least Defence was. Only took like 10 minutes or so. She seems to have a really wide range of moves to draw from. Also she's the only partner who can change costume without going back to town? Weird.

Scratch what I said before, Strea is really easy to change. At least Defence was. Only took like 10 minutes or so. She seems to have a really wide range of moves to draw from. Also she's the only partner who can change costume without going back to town? Weird.

Not weird at all since... Actually without going into spoilers from her scenes, that's just how her personality is LOL. She is shameless and doesn't care about that type of stuff.

ramyeon

Not weird at all since... Actually without going into spoilers from her scenes, that's just how her personality is LOL. She is shameless and doesn't care about that type of stuff.
Haha fair enough, I may have slept with her over 15 times but I don't really know anything about her personality lol.

dragn

i read u get a skill point for every 10 weapon mastery (shield,evasion too), is that right? and what are the 3 stars on every skill :>

kiryogi

Banned

So what exactly does she ask you for the parameter reset? It's during Talk about battle right?

ramyeon

Yeah but don't you have to reset Strea?
Nope.

Edit: Oh man when I was going for Buff she kept using Attack skills and now that I want her to use those she's using Buffs all the time hahaha. Just need them to come up so I can praise them and get them to show more often :( timing praise for switches still sucks ass.

kiryogi

Banned
Nope.

Edit: Oh man when I was going for Buff she kept using Attack skills and now that I want her to use those she's using Buffs all the time hahaha. Just need them to come up so I can praise them and get them to show more often :( timing praise for switches still sucks ass.

I don't get it, I never see her parameters budge. It's driving me nuts XD

ramyeon

I don't get it, I never see her parameters budge. It's driving me nuts XD
I'm not sure why it's not working for you. It does take a little longer than others for her graph to move since they're all so balanced by default (Resetting doesn't give you a blank graph, it'll just take her back to being totally balanced again). But it shouldn't take too long. Attack is taking me the longest of all though, it only just moved now and I've been doing it for about 10-15 mins.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm not sure why it's not working for you. It does take a little longer than others for her graph to move since they're all so balanced by default (Resetting doesn't give you a blank graph, it'll just take her back to being totally balanced again). But it shouldn't take too long. Attack is taking me the longest of all though, it only just moved now and I've been doing it for about 10-15 mins.

I think I finally figured it out. . .I'm only noticing the buff/atk/def icons finally showing up on the left. I never saw them before until now. Do you just wait around waiting for her to do something and let her do all the fighting while sandbagging? Ever since I told her to focus on attack all I ever see are DEF/BUFF wtf. XD

Yukianesa

Neo Member
i read u get a skill point for every 10 weapon mastery (shield,evasion too), is that right? and what are the 3 stars on every skill :>

Use a sword skill a certain number of times and the sword skill will increase in damage.

1 star - 100 times - 20% damage increase
2 star - 1000 times - 50% damage increase
3 star - 10,000 times - 100% damage increase

Doombear

Just had Strea reject a bridal carry at mood 5.
Weird.

Happened about 4 times tonight while on the road to Rank 5 (finally got it) and it was annoying. I started leaving the room at Mood 5 and then positioning her so she was facing away from the door entering the Inn instead before starting the Bridal Carry. Worked every time after that. Before that, I even had her freak out just outside the Inn. Very strange, but she is Rank 5 now so... time to work on outfits.

ramyeon

I think I finally figured it out. . .I'm only noticing the buff/atk/def icons finally showing up on the left. I never saw them before until now. Do you just wait around waiting for her to do something and let her do all the fighting while sandbagging? Ever since I told her to focus on attack all I ever see are DEF/BUFF wtf. XD
Nope you should be ordering her to use skills (R+Right on D-pad). Just praise ATK whenever you see it, they'll become more frequent as you praise them. You also need to raise ATK Support, Coop or Switch. Switch is the easiest imo. Get the aggro (Make sure Target is next to your name) then command her to Switch and just as Kirito jumps back press praise, the timing is kinda important... too early and you'll praise her earlier skill, too late and it won't register at all. Oftentimes when it's successful she'll combo into a skill.

Lusankya

I'm not a fan of fanservice but I think it can be in good taste... probably.

Well, fanservice comes in a wide variety. E.g. in Ace Attorney you speak of fanservice when there are a lot of returning characters, so it's not like it's always related to some sexual stuff.
In general it's stuff that seemingly more often than not will be bad for the fans when the name implies it should be the opposite.

ramyeon

Finally done with Strea! During this I finally worked out how to reliably praise switches, so it was a good learning experience I guess
if a little tedious
lol. She doesn't have a 4th outfit like the others (I think it's added in the big patch though?)
2014-08-22-153609v6k06.jpg

Buff

2014-08-22-165933n8kw6.jpg

Attack
Only 3 left plus Philia later on. I'm at 18 hours and I haven't even fought the first boss yet lolol.

kiryogi

Banned
Finally done with Strea! During this I finally worked out how to reliably praise switches, so it was a good learning experience I guess
if a little tedious
lol. She doesn't have a 4th outfit like the others (I think it's added in the big patch though?)

Only 3 left plus Philia later on. I'm at 18 hours and I haven't even fought the first boss yet lolol.

So only praise her when I see the icon for ATK skill right? I see her doing her sword skilks but no icon ever pops D:

Top Bottom