• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am I the only one finding incredibly stupid the way the Hollow Area map is designed? Everytime it's a bother to understand which path I should take to reach my destination :(

No you are right, the vanilla map is pretty useless for the most part. Someone here had posted an updated image of it for people to use till the large content update comes out which should remedy the issue. Might be a couple pages back.
*edit here it is

I know it is more than just the way the map looks that is confusing at first, but this may help until we get the same link/pathing in patch 1.03 next month! It will at least give you and idea of how to get from Point A to Point B. Also if you didn't know, talking to Philia and choosing Chat shows the 'route' you need to take to get where she wants you to go.

zdLjveA.jpg

Added Doombear's post to the OT also.

Mendax

this one takes the cake <sigh>

i enter a new area and with big letters in the middle of the screen it says "Graveyar of the Royal" without a D :/

the reaper boss using some romaji written skill as his ultimate attack comes second lol.

darkwing

this one takes the cake <sigh>

i enter a new area and with big letters in the middle of the screen it says "Graveyar of the Royal" without a D :/

the reaper boss using some romaji written skill as his ultimate attack comes second lol.

well, I'd take this over the game not being released lol

and with the game having 2000+ ratings now, hopefully BN would localize the next SAO game properly

Parakeetman

well, I'd take this over the game not being released lol

and with the game having 2000+ ratings now, hopefully BN would localize the next SAO game properly

Id say actual sales numbers would drive them more towards that rather than ratings on PSN.

Im still surprised they did not address the issues with the localization in general yet.

Mendax

Id say actual sales numbers would drive them more towards that rather than ratings on PSN.

Im still surprised they did not address the issues with the localization in general yet.

wrote an email to bamco, commented on psblog and pm'ed isshak.

dead silence on all fronts, so i dont think anything is going to happen..

Bittercup

I'm working on unlocking the costumes. Finished all for Sinon and 1 for Leafa and Asuna so far.
I was wondering if the girls each have a preferable role. Just to avoid having to re-grind to a different role once I have unlocked all outfits.
For Sinon I did it in the order of buff, def, atk just to have the most tedious out of the way first but if anyone would be better to end up with a different role I would change the order.

darkwing

I'm working on unlocking the costumes. Finished all for Sinon and 1 for Leafa and Asuna so far.
I was wondering if the girls each have a preferable role. Just to avoid having to re-grind to a different role once I have unlocked all outfits.
For Sinon I did it in the order of buff, def, atk just to have the most tedious out of the way first but if anyone would be better to end up with a different role I would change the order.

hmm I'm sure someone will answer this properly but I don't think it would matter? or probably it depends on the weapons they are using

matmanx1

I don't think it matters all that much but I do weigh it somewhat according to the weapon that the girl uses. To me, there's no reason not to use Strea as an Atk type with her 2h sword whereas I've currently got Asuna set to Buff type just because rapier isn't a great offensive weapon choice.

Sylas

I really, really, really want to like this game but the engrish translation is really putting me off. :< The moment-to-moment gameplay is incredibly addictive and the combat is super fun when you get into it. I just wish they had... y'know. Put some effort into translating the game.

I think the incoming patch is killing some of my drive to play as well since I know it brings improvements to things like the Hollow area maps. Bah.

Kaname

I really, really, really want to like this game but the engrish translation is really putting me off. :< The moment-to-moment gameplay is incredibly addictive and the combat is super fun when you get into it. I just wish they had... y'know. Put some effort into translating the game.

I think the incoming patch is killing some of my drive to play as well since I know it brings improvements to things like the Hollow area maps. Bah.

I agree about the update part. Really slowed my progression and ultimately decided to wait for it before I start playing the game seriously since I feel like I'd miss on many good things.
However I'm not really bothered about the translation, although it might also be because English isn't my first language. I do realize that it's far from being a good work anyway.

Quixzlizx

So now that people have put a bunch of time into the game, is it confirmed that the localization is kind of a joke? That's really putting me off from buying it, since I know it'll be constantly killing my immersion.

matmanx1

Anyone know where there is a treasure chest in the Hollow Area with a curved sword? Curved sword is next on my agenda for Kirito but all I've got is a gimpy curved sword from one of the lower floors in Aincrad.

So far I've found 1h sword chests, 2h sword, Axe and spear but I'm far from knowledgeable about most of the Hollow Area.

Bittercup

Thank you both :)
Good point about the weapon types. I'll think about that and unlock the rest of the costumes later, when I have decided what I want.

I don't mind the translation much. I find many dialogues more charming than off-putting. Maybe because English isn't my first language and they sound like people who aren't used to speak English either :D
But I certainly don't want to downplay it. It's very lazy that the publisher didn't bother to fix the translation. This is something they should improve with a patch, not just in a sequel.

darkwing

Thank you both :)
Good point about the weapon types. I'll think about that and unlock the rest of the costumes later, when I have decided what I want.

I don't mind the translation much. I find many dialogues more charming than off-putting. Maybe because English isn't my first language and they sound like people who aren't used to speak English either :D
But I certainly don't want to downplay it. It's very lazy that the publisher didn't bother to fix the translation. This is something they should improve with a patch, not just in a sequel.

so true, English isn't my first language either but I still can understand what they are implying/saying, it's funny though lol

hopefully being no.1 in the August Vita sales will prompt BN to improve the localization on the second game , if they decide on bringing it to NA :(

MSMrRound

hopefully being no.1 in the August Vita sales will prompt BN to improve the localization on the second game , if they decide on bringing it to NA :(

Seriously. Was hoping that you guys wouldn't receive the gimped version that we Asian users got.

SGD$72 for a retail Vita game here in Singapore isn't really a joke. Most retail games sold for $50 or below. I mean, I'm glad to play (and partly understand) it, but for what I spent, I really expected something better, y'know?

Hurts when Bandai Namco gave almost a flawless localization job for Tales of Xillia 2. Hopefully they wouldn't spread the team too thin next time.

Bittercup

If a random NPC on the field dies, has this any negative impact? (trophies and gameplay)
Just saw a group fighting high level monsters and one of them died.
The guild list still says 0 dead.

darkwing

If a random NPC on the field dies, has this any negative impact? (trophies and gameplay)

hmm interesting, I believe the trophy only refers to level bosses

Mendax

Anyone know where there is a treasure chest in the Hollow Area with a curved sword? Curved sword is next on my agenda for Kirito but all I've got is a gimpy curved sword from one of the lower floors in Aincrad.

So far I've found 1h sword chests, 2h sword, Axe and spear but I'm far from knowledgeable about most of the Hollow Area.

if you are sure that a chest drops the same weapon type every time you open it then there are two chests that drop scimitars in the locked rooms next to the skeleton king NM in the northernmost room of the "hidden treasury" in Bastea (hollow area 2, SE corner)

source: i just found two there :p

matmanx1

if you are sure that a chest drops the same weapon type every time you open it then there are two chests that drop scimitars in the locked rooms next to the skeleton king NM in the northernmost room of the "hidden treasury" in Bastea (hollow area 2, SE corner)

source: i just found two there :p

Thank you! Much appreciated Mendax.

Parakeetman

In the hollow area anyways, it does not seem to count towards the # of deaths.

ramyeon

Finally got back into this a bit today. I'd gone off gaming for a bit and now I've been wanting to get Danganronpa 2 out of the way so I could focus on SAO again.

It's as fun as I remember. Hit up multiplayer to level up a bit and it almost feels like cheating. So easy to take down NMs that I finally took out the one guarding the katana I've been lusting over in the Hidden Treasury. Good times.

Eh SAO was the #1 sold Vita game in August, as per PSBlog's monthly chart. We made it folks. Take that in Bamco. Before you start doubting the value in bringing over a product from Japan, listen to the fan base! If a sequel does end up being made for the game, I hope they don't hesitate on bringing it.

I wanna wait so bad until the exp is buffed with the patch but this game keeps calling me back. I've been burning concealed area up. But I feel like it's a waste of time. Considering we could be leveling up faster.

Bittercup

Has anyone a list of the skills the girls have and to which role they belong?
I'm still confused about which role I want to take for them.
Philia ended up with the damage dealer role now but I'm not quite happy with that. I have the feeling she used more useful skills with buff or def but not sure which one was better. Even with the focus on atk, she still uses most of the time skills that don't trigger the atk icon so she probably hasn't that many attack skills I assume making atk not the ideal choice.
Kirito's skill tree is not very helpful with that. For example Philia often uses the skill war cry which is under the Elevation skill which requires Katanas first, but Philia has neither Katana nor Elevation in the friend list as main skill listed but still has war cry.
To avoid to many unnecessary re-trainings it would be nice to plan ahead.

And a separate question:
I just noticed I have a Asuna tab in my inventory, with a full set of equipment and consumables. Why do I have that? Am I carrying her stuff? The other girls don't have a special inventory tab.

Celtic

Neo Member
And a separate question:
I just noticed I have a Asuna tab in my inventory, with a full set of equipment and consumables. Why do I have that? Am I carrying her stuff? The other girls don't have a special inventory tab.

As far as I can tell, it's because you're married to Asuna. If I remember correctly, they mention at one point in the anime that when you marry someone in game it's a pretty big deal because you gain access to each other's inventory at all times.

annath

Neo Member
So I'm digging the gameplay, what I understand anyway, but this rather poor translation has me constantly wondering if I've missed/misunderstood something.

Also, I watched the anime, the first season anyway, through the end of the fairy bit, but am I to understand that this game begins immediately following the midpoint of the show?

So, there's no clearing of floors 1-75 or whatever? I just want to make sure I'm not "skipping" a bunch of content.

Bittercup

Yes, the game is like an alternative time-line after the mid point in the first season. Floor 1-75 are already cleared when the game starts.

annath

Neo Member
When is this big patch supposed to hit? I understand it is adding a lot of new content?

Having not played very much yet, only about a half an hour, would I be better served waiting until the patch to really get into it, or is the new content mostly endgame stuff?

When is this big patch supposed to hit? I understand it is adding a lot of new content?

Having not played very much yet, only about a half an hour, would I be better served waiting until the patch to really get into it, or is the new content mostly endgame stuff?

24th of September I believe. And I wouldn't call it end game content since you are encouraged to play against higher leveled foes. I'd say if you know your skills and have a well nurtured AI companion, you should be fine at level 120 or so.

Mendax

urgh these final bosses of hollow fragment #@$#@%#@$%
hollow kirito keeps one hitting me with the eclipse which he uses so sudden that i cant defend or dodge, im already level 130 so dont know what to do here. The fact that on each death i have to do that occuldion boss again before i can try kirito again is annoyingggg...

edit: new ppl be sure to grab all the dlc while its free. 21 items iirc.

edit2: patch notes by Hotsoup from Gamefaqs:
1. Esoteric skills (ultimate sword skills) and grand quest (to acquire esoteric skills) added
2. Heroine hollow area quests added
3. Legendary weapons and ultra hard hollow missions (to acquire legendary weapons) added
4. Date spot with Sachi added
5. Around 50 new hollow missions added
6. New hollow area, named Discard area added. It would consist of volcano and ice areas
7. Option to toggle camera while using sword skills added to Option menu
8. Option to toggle camera zoom added to Option menu
9. When not in combat, you can toggle camera zoom with D-pad
10. You can skip hollow mission cut scenes with start button now
11. You can receive presents given to heroines back if you give them another present
12. Easier to receive quest rewards (not too sure about this)
13. Requirements for some implements are lowered
14. Destinations for hollow missions which require you to reach a certain spot are now marked on the map
15. Weapons and other previously un-stackable items in storage can now stack to 99
16. Level cap raised to 250
17. Hollow area map has connecting lines now
18. Minimap shows the range of your current camera now
19. It is easier to select the teleporter you wish to use from the control area now
20. Col rewards from hollow missions are increased
21. New last attack bonus items are added to existing rank 3 hollow missions
22. New blue chests are added to existing hollow areas
23. Stats of equipment found in existing red chests in hollow areas have been increased
23. You can now partner with Argo
24. The amount of information that you can obtain from Argo has been greatly increased
25. Complete costumes are added for Philia and Strea
26. Item use speed has been greatly increased
27. You can now buy Hide potions from stores
28. Items which increase blacksmith success rate have been added
29. Rarity attribute added for high end weapons
30. Experience gained from defeating enemies with levels 1-15 higher than you has been greatly increased
31. Exp Pot and Exp Pot Ex items have been added
32. New reward for clearing the challenge in Sacred Sword Resting Place in under 3min has been added
33. Timing for executing OSS combo that was already recorded is made even easier
34. Sword skill damage within an OSS combo has been increased
35. Damage of ultimate sword skills used at the end of OSS combo has been greatly increased
36. Concealed area has been extended to 125 floors
37. Armor added to treasure chests found in concealed area
38. You can now warp (use teleport crystal) to leave the concealed area
39. Checkpoints at 21F, 41F, 61F, 81F, 101F added to concealed areas
40. Stats of Remains Heart, Dark Repulsor, Elucidator has been increased
41. An item superior to Infinity Moment has been added as reward for completing a very difficult challenge

Doombear

I've caught up to episode 17 in the show. I want to start playing the game, but does it make sense to wait for some kind of sale?

Any farther in the show serves no real purpose insofar as game tie in. You will maybe know a few of the other characters that are in the game, but that's not really necessary. As for waiting for a sale? Hard to really say what the game is going to be worth to you. I don't regret buying it on launch for a second. I am excited about the update this month, so I have maybe not been digging in as hard as I want to. This game is well worth the full price if you ask me (and a lot of others here too I would guess).

Mendax

I've caught up to episode 17 in the show. I want to start playing the game, but does it make sense to wait for some kind of sale?

its the #1 vita seller atm so i doubt it will go on sale anytime soon. if you really want to play it just buy it now, if you're in doubt about it and have enough to play you could sit it out but i think the earliest sale for this will be christmas

Bittercup

I finished the implement Burst TMBR which says it unlocks a battle skill. There is a skill with the same name in the skill menu but it's greyed-out and I can't use it.
Did I miss something?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Implements unlock addition battle skills which are added under existing categories in the skill tree screen. You still have to unlock the path to and pay skill points for them.

Any farther in the show serves no real purpose insofar as game tie in. You will maybe know a few of the other characters that are in the game, but that's not really necessary. As for waiting for a sale? Hard to really say what the game is going to be worth to you. I don't regret buying it on launch for a second. I am excited about the update this month, so I have maybe not been digging in as hard as I want to. This game is well worth the full price if you ask me (and a lot of others here too I would guess).

its the #1 vita seller atm so i doubt it will go on sale anytime soon. if you really want to play it just buy it now, if you're in doubt about it and have enough to play you could sit it out but i think the earliest sale for this will be christmas

I'm playing another game atm, but if I'm growing a bigger itch to play the game then I'll buy it then. I suppose I won't wait for any sale. Thank you!

LMN

Finally got the game (with reversible cover, yay!), been enjoying so far as the game-play is very addicting, though I'm still not fully grasp with the flow of the battle or how various skills work yet, guess I will need to go through this thread again for tips and guides ;)

Parakeetman

chances of it going on sale soon is unlikely but content wise you get your $$$ worth most def. plus when the large content update comes out, it will add more on top of that for free. You will need to be higher level to make use of it so its not like waiting till the content update comes out is really going to help you if thats what you are considering

Mendrox

Everybody who said that we shouldnt wait for the patch and just play was right. I haven't done too much in this game and already clock 40 hours (and I am a fast player in every game). Now that Danganronpa 2 and Destiny are out I don't have as much time and won't keep playing till the patch comes out.

Game is very good.

matmanx1

Everybody who said that we shouldnt wait for the patch and just play was right. I haven't done too much in this game and already clock 40 hours (and I am a fast player in every game). Now that Danganronpa 2 and Destiny are out I don't have as much time and won't keep playing till the patch comes out.

Game is very good.

Yeah there's so much to like right out of the box. The patch will improve things and speed leveling up but the fun factor and tremendous amount of content is already in the base, unpatched version.

I picked up Destiny last night and played it for an hour and then went and played SAO: Hollow Fragment for almost another hour before bedtime. I'm approaching 30 hours played and have just hit floor 80 so I still have a very long way to go.

tensuke

Finally bought and downloaded this tonight (Amazon credit came in yay!). Very excited to start playing, although I know Destiny will consume much of my time, and the patch comes later this month. Still, ready to jump in!

deadfolk

I bought day one, but I'm waiting for the patch so that I can finish Virtue's Last Reward and play though Danganronpa 1 before starting in.

I might actually alternate this and DR, come to think of it. Going full-on DR after finishing VLR might be a mistake.

I'm not kidding myself that I'll have P4G finished, though!

Top Bottom