• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
That feel when you accidentally let your partner die and lose 2 hours of weapon mastery progress (ヽ´ω`)

Mendax

more (trophy) tips:

- go alone in singleplayer to the ruins at the start of hollow area 5 (otherworld) and look for Sachi there and do her quests - gives CGs for memories trophy

- talk to Argo (about communication i tihnk?) and then about " everyone's favorite" and look in town for the girl she mentions and befriend her, date her and sleep with her - not for trophy but cute nonetheless

- do as many different hollow missions as possible for one trophy and raise the hollow area ranks to 3 to unlock the HNM bosses which are needed for another trophy - "game is not for fun" trophy

- floor 92 (dont remember if its during the floor or after beating that floors boss) hidden event with Strea if you go solo to the inn (not mentioned in event list..) - gives CG for memories trophy

That feel when you accidentally let your partner die and lose 2 hours of weapon mastery progress (ヽ´ω`)

yeah i know that feeling, 500 OSS progress lost. Now i do all grinding in multiplayer :/

Bittercup

- do as many different hollow missions as possible for one trophy and raise the hollow area ranks to 3 to unlock the HNM bosses which are needed for another trophy
A question to that: I did some hollow missions in the first area and the progress bar on the map did increase. But since then I played mainly the hollow story and some multiplayer grinding for several hours and now the bar is suddenly back to zero.
Did I screw up? Do hollow missions respawn so I can rank up? I noticed one mission during multiplayer that I had already completed before. Does this count?

Mendax

A question to that: I did some hollow missions in the first area and the progress bar on the map did increase. But since then I played mainly the hollow story and some multiplayer grinding for several hours and now the bar is suddenly back to zero.
Did I screw up? Do hollow missions respawn so I can rank up? I noticed one mission during multiplayer that I had already completed before. Does this count?

all of them are infinitely repeatable, they just aren't always available. And yes repeating missions counts for area progress. I think the third area actually doesnt have enough different missions to complete 1 progressbar..
As to area progress declining i never saw anything but maybe you just need to complete 1 rank in a single pass through the area - not sure so cant really help you there..

Mrfb17

Neo Member
So what is the deal with Hollow areas? I beat the first boss through the Church so I guess that's how you access the other areas but what's the whole levelling up individual areas part about?

Mendax

So what is the deal with Hollow areas? I beat the first boss through the Church so I guess that's how you access the other areas but what's the whole levelling up individual areas part about?

on the hollow mission battlefield map from the console room or on the hollow map in your inventory you can see the missions going on as well as a progress bar for each area. Doing missions in an area fills the progress bar and if full levels the area to rank 2 or 3. Doing so will unlock new hollow missions with bigger risk/reward and eventually the HNM bosses. You can do this in the five main areas (sea of trees, bastea, cove, void and otherworld).

Bittercup

all of them are infinitely repeatable, they just aren't always available. And yes repeating missions counts for area progress. I think the third area actually doesnt have enough different missions to complete 1 progressbar..
[...]
Thank you. That's good to know.

Mendax

just watched upto episode 15, should I finish the first season before trying this? also did it get updated with a better translation?

15-25 are irrelevant for the game, the only thing you gain is a better introduction to one of the girls; nothing more. And no, it's perfectly playable and understandable but still riddled with engrish

Mailbox

I got up to floor 85 and decided to give the hollow area a try.

It's quite a nice change up from the floor structure, and I'm intrigued to see how big it really is beyond the sea of trees.

(I only have asuna's attack outfit so far, which makes me sad)

15-25 are irrelevant for the game, the only thing you gain is a better introduction to one of the girls; nothing more. And no, it's perfectly playable and understandable but still riddled with engrish

good to know about the episodes btw is 15 onwards where the anime turns bad? annoying to here the translation hasn't been changed

Mendax

good to know about the episodes btw is 15 onwards where the anime turns bad? annoying to here the translation has been changed

no it doesn't turn bad, it takes a different turn but it's still a lot of fun and a decent story. Defo worth a watch unless you dont think much of the series in general :p

I got up to floor 85 and decided to give the hollow area a try.

It's quite a nice change up from the floor structure, and I'm intrigued to see how big it really is beyond the sea of trees.

(I only have asuna's attack outfit so far, which makes me sad)

huuuge ;p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
just finished SOA season 1 and from reading up on the game it features a character from Season 2
Sinon

Though its not that it really matters as its not as if plot points are brought into the game and such from Season 2.

Dont worry to much about that lol

matmanx1

Still slowly making progress. I got Strea to rank 5 and finished floor 80 this weekend Had to do the boss twice to get the last attacking bonus but the second time went quickly and easily.

I've slowed down a little bit now that Destiny is out and I know the patch is only a week away. My eventual goal is the platinum trophy for this game but that is a very long term goal. Fortunately the game is keeping my interest and I'm enjoying my time with it.

tensuke

Took a while to start understanding how everything worked, but it's really a lot of fun once you do. Beat the lvl 76 boss and had to restart once to get LAB, but at least nobody died either time so that's nice. Though, I think I overestimated how hard it would be, I kind of spent a huge amount of time just leveling. :3

Also got the CG bed scene with Asuna, ohhh yeah

zychi

Banned
rebought a vita, should be here by wed.

bought this to support it. any good wikis or anything I should read before jumping in? I'm up to ep 15 on the anime

Mendax

Took a while to start understanding how everything worked, but it's really a lot of fun once you do. Beat the lvl 76 boss and had to restart once to get LAB, but at least nobody died either time so that's nice. Though, I think I overestimated how hard it would be, I kind of spent a huge amount of time just leveling. :3

Also got the CG bed scene with Asuna, ohhh yeah

pay attention to any Asuna events in the event log (square button); her CGs get even better!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm really loving it, especially boss fights, but what's the use of hollow points and hollow researches?

Parakeetman

glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the game! and this month the content update patch comes out too

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
the researches unlock new combat features, new skills, new equipment and/or make stuff easier to obtain

Honestly research descriptions are cryptic(at least for me) and i don't understand their effects. For example i completed and activated the first one, what does it do?
And what the hell hollow points do?

aember

Man, I remember reading this thread a lot while waiting for the English release!

Too bad university has been keeping me busy, haven't had much time to play, but I'm happy to support the devs! Hopefully gonna have the time to dig in soon.

LMN

Been playing this game non-stop, just wanted to say that battling and winning bosses with 40 to 50 levels above you is so satisfying, and my favorite feature of this game. There are not many games that give me this kind of feeling that I can think of. After spending most of the time in Hollow area, going back to Aincrad floor feel like playing game on super easy mode XD. This game deserve more loved ;)

Bittercup

Honestly research descriptions are cryptic(at least for me) and i don't understand their effects. For example i completed and activated the first one, what does it do?
Once the first one is unlocked you can expand the research list below it and more researches are available. Some of those have rewards like skills or unlock items in stores.
If I remember correctly, some researches have hollow point requirements.

Mendax

the first one (and the first category) "proper sampling data of high rank players" only gives hollow points and unlocks more researches. The good stuff comes a bit later i guess, for example: the OSS sword skill combos unlock the option to chain sword skills which enables you to begin a second skill while the first one is still finising its animation. subitems of the OSS research can decrease sword skill SP cost. Combined this makes combat even faster :)

Corgi

Banned
howdy folks!

Picked this up recently. Game is pretty cruddy at explaining stuff. A few questions:

Should I be doing the floor stuff or the hollow place first?

What differentiates the weapons? Seems like leveling up a new weapon is a pain and im not entirely sure what are the benefits besides the passive boosts.Leveling also seems to take a long while (well from fighting and finish the first floor, i think 76?)

Speaking of skills, im having a hard time getting what the skill descriptions mean, like 30% STR %40 DEX, what does that mean?

Mendax

howdy folks!

Picked this up recently. Game is pretty cruddy at explaining stuff. A few questions:

Should I be doing the floor stuff or the hollow place first?

What differentiates the weapons? Seems like leveling up a new weapon is a pain and im not entirely sure what are the benefits besides the passive boosts.Leveling also seems to take a long while (well from fighting and finish the first floor, i think 76?)

Speaking of skills, im having a hard time getting what the skill descriptions mean, like 30% STR %40 DEX, what does that mean?

i recommend doing hollow area 1 or 1+2 first, then aincrad up to 89, then hollow area 2-6 or 3-6 and then Aincrad 90-100. training a new weapon isnt a pain, it is a slight difference in dps output but early on that doesnt matter too much imo, You should do it so that you have 1 blunt, 1 slash and 1 thrust weapon at decent or high levels because it will help a lot later on.

im not too sure about the stat percentages in the skills but i always assumed they mean that a certain percentage of the damage you do comes from those stats / that your level in those stats determines (extra) damage

deadfolk

Has there been any word on the update for EU/NA since the original announcement for 24th September? Any reason to suspect it might slip or confirmation otherwise?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
While we are at it i still have an early event, before level 80, i need to get 3 ores from enemies in a weapon facility or something similar but i really don't remember in what level is the place!

Once the first one is unlocked you can expand the research list below it and more researches are available. Some of those have rewards like skills or unlock items in stores.
If I remember correctly, some researches have hollow point requirements.

the first one (and the first category) "proper sampling data of high rank players" only gives hollow points and unlocks more researches. The good stuff comes a bit later i guess, for example: the OSS sword skill combos unlock the option to chain sword skills which enables you to begin a second skill while the first one is still finising its animation. subitems of the OSS research can decrease sword skill SP cost. Combined this makes combat even faster :)

Sadly i read your posts only now, yesterday i unlocked a mission that requires more points than the ones i have and i finally understood the use of points lol.

Mendax

While we are at it i still have an early event, before level 80, i need to get 3 ores from enemies in a weapon facility or something similar but i really don't remember in what level is the place!

the blue/green-ish exclamation mark means that it is the hollow fragment / Philia's story.
So you need to be paired up with Philia and head to the hollow area to do it, while there you can interact with her and select chat for a reminder of the current story event (will also show you a map of how to get there most of the time). For that specific event you need to go back to the Temple Front Plaza and head west into the Sacred Sword Hall and continue west to the Weapon Testing Facility. (there is another map there which is either between the testing area and the sacred sword hall or its further west than those - i dont remember but it doesnt matter much)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
the blue/green-ish exclamation mark means that it is the hollow fragment / Philia's story.
So you need to be paired up with Philia and head to the hollow area to do it, while there you can interact with her and select chat for a reminder of the current story event (will also show you a map of how to get there most of the time). For that specific event you need to go back to the Temple Front Plaza and head west into the Sacred Sword Hall and continue west to the Weapon Testing Facility. (there is another map there which is either between the testing area and the sacred sword hall or its further west than those - i dont remember but it doesnt matter much)

Oh it's in the hollow area! :O
That's why i didn't find it lol!
Thanks. :)

matmanx1

So is there any real reason to work on unlocking all of the girls costumes? I was thinking it was part of the Trophy guide but I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong, some of the outfits are very good, but with so much to do I don't think I am going to continue to focus on it.

Doombear

So is there any real reason to work on unlocking all of the girls costumes? I was thinking it was part of the Trophy guide but I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong, some of the outfits are very good, but with so much to do I don't think I am going to continue to focus on it.

My understanding is that they actually have stats appropriate for their type. The outfit you get from attack has attack stats, defense has defense specific stats, etc. You just cannot see what those stats are on their armor until the patch (hopefully) next week.

My information coming from Havian's 1.03 breakdown video.

He talks about it at 10:45 in this video where he goes over the changes that 1.03 patch brings. I imagine there are some minor spoilers in here, I haven't watched the entire thing. The 10:45 mark in the video is just him in town showing stats on Philia's Attack Armor set.

Corgi

Banned
hope you can summon random super demons mcguffins like kirito because the author has no clue how to progress the story :D

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hollow Fragment is the second game

Today I found out you could fall off the edge of the world and die. Really wish I fell off right after entering the area rather than after I cleared everything and was about to leave (ヽ´ω`)

Mendax

but wasnt a sequel to HF already announced about 2 months ago?i was under the impression that this was another new one

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
but wasnt a sequel to HF already announced about 2 months ago?i was under the impression that this was another new one
It was never formally announced, the producer simply said he was thinking about starting the planning for a sequel in an interview.

This announcement should be about the same game.

so next game to be ALO? I watched SAO S1 last week and tbh while I understand the need for rushing in that part of the story it did feel really rushed (tbh the whole season felt like it could hve been double the length)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Today I found out you could fall off the edge of the world and die. Really wish I fell off right after entering the area rather than after I cleared everything and was about to leave (ヽ´ω`)
Did you learn nothing from SAOSuicide.gif?

Parakeetman

Oh yeah. I did an experiment in that area before progressing on. lol

Top Bottom