• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

maouvin

Do we have a thread for Lost Song already?

Well, here goes a new video (from PS 20th anniversary).
There's a quick glimpse of the battle UI (you'll miss it if you blink), showing the same square/cross/circle/triangle menu from HF (don't remember seeing this previously). Still nothing on skill menus.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Do we have a thread for Lost Song already?

Well, here goes a new video (from PS 20th anniversary).
There's a quick glimpse of the battle UI (you'll miss it if you blink), showing the same square/cross/circle/triangle menu from HF (don't remember seeing this previously). Still nothing on skill menus.

very cool thanks for posting this. really looking forward to this title. want to see what the team can do now that they are not held back by the psp code.

Parakeetman

Looking great, cannot wait for next year. Parakeet, I trust you will be the one posting the OT for the game? :p

yep signed on doing it. dont think ill bother translating text this time around takes too much time.

will do the western release also most likely. need to wait for bannam to do an official announcement first. as by OT rules.

yep signed on doing it. dont think ill bother translating text this time around takes too much time.

will do the western release also most likely. need to wait for bannam to do an official announcement first. as by OT rules.

Good stuff, I'm getting the Asian copy with the fastest delivery on release, so I can help out with anything that you need, for example English translations or screens.

MSMrRound

yep with the claw weapon type very cool

As long as it's not Daggers. Fuck daggers.

Argo, Silica, Sinon (for a short while at least) and Philia had the same freaking weapon in SAO:HF.

Gets kind of boring after a while, especially if I'm grinding their armor stats out.

Strea and Argo playable in Lost Song. Also, for those who weren't fans of Philia's black hair:

Strea and Argo will be playable characters in Sword Art Online: Lost Song, this week’s Dengeki PlayStation reveals.

In the world of ALfheim Online, Strea is a gnome, while Argo is a Caith Sith. Argo uses hand-to-hand combat as her battle weapon.

Outside of the new characters, this week’s issue also shows Philia’s hair color as changeable to its original golden. She was revealed two weeks ago as appearing in the game with black hair.

I feel like I remember it being said that other characters would be playable aside from Kirito but we were never told if we could change them whenever we wanted. If anything we get to control certain characters for certain missions, Stream is probably just like in HF a recruitable heroine. Doesn't bother me much tbh, if given a choice I'll probably play the whole thing as Kirito anyway.

Double post but this one is worth it:

The video shows Kirito, Asuna, Leafa, Silica, Lisbeth, Sinon, and Philia in action.

Watch it below. The game is due out for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita in Japan on March 26.

Second Trailer

This one is quite long and it actually shows gameplay. Skill palettes are there so my worries were put to bed, gameplay is still the same. The gameplay looked so fluid and fast that I was scared that they dialed back the combat by making it work through button presses only. Graphics look stunning, and the flying combat looks great. I'm ready for this :3

Parakeetman

Game really is looking fantastic and most def first thing Ill do for Philia is revert her hair color back to the original.

without the original color there is not enough color contrast with her outfit. thats what made her stand out so much in the original title i think

Eh good point. BTW what did you think of Argo's footage, if I remember correctly you are a big fan of hers. Looks like we get to control her after all

Stuart444

Also Strea:

15373906094_fd0bca0288_o.png

Taken from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949909

Looking very forward to this game now even more so. Trailer looks great

Parakeetman

Eh good point. BTW what did you think of Argo's footage, if I remember correctly you are a big fan of hers. Looks like we get to control her after all

its nice that argo seems tohave a bigger role now and her own weapon style, so will be looking forward to that. wonder if the other 2 guild leaders will show up. sskuya and alisia. sakuya in particular since she has her katana.

wonder if we will get a spear user this time around since we didnt have a main one in hf

Producer

I started playing Hollow Fragment and just finished the tutorial and got full control of my character.

I got a hang of the combat and game mechanics, but there's some skill terms that i dont fully understand, most likely because of the translation. I was hoping someone can help me out and tell me what these terms/abbreviations mean

Attack Interval
Def DW
ATK DW
CD (example: effect reduces on CD)

Also, regarding sword skills, what does the attribute and percentage number in parenthesis mean? Is that an attribute that gets buffed or is that extra damage based on the attribute?

Parakeetman

I started playing Hollow Fragment and just finished the tutorial and got full control of my character.

I got a hang of the combat and game mechanics, but there's some skill terms that i dont fully understand, most likely because of the translation. I was hoping someone can help me out and tell me what these terms/abbreviations mean

Attack Interval
Def DW
ATK DW
CD (example: effect reduces on CD)

Also, regarding sword skills, what does the attribute and percentage number in parenthesis mean? Is that an attribute that gets buffed or is that extra damage based on the attribute?

Which sword skill in particular? Ill look it up on the JP wiki.

Think the system worked too something like damage output was also based off of a percentage of the certain stats listed, besides the base damage of weapon.

DW means down. So in otherwords you give negative status effects to your targets defense or attack. For example the 1HS skill Horizontal Square has the DEF Down effect, High Accuracy Rate, takes 30% from all stats.

L+ Numerical value = Level of effect. Such as blind for example.

Try look through here you might find some useful info. Am turning in for the night.

http://gamewise.co/games/51803/Sword-Art-Online-Hollow-Fragment

Then there is this link for a small information post here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125932343&postcount=2086

Useful youtube chan.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPlCkuqWQSYjecAKc-ReMKixLLDkGnT3p

and info on the risk system since this is very important if you or your partner dont want to wind up getting 1 shotted
Risk System
The Risk status increases damage taken from attacks or sword skills. Both yourself, allies and the enemy. Also increases time between attacks. The higher the risk level the higher the negative effects.

How to raise Risk
Cancel a skill
Take critical damage
Using a Sword Skill
Be knocked back
Be staggered
Taking more than 10% HP damage in a single hit
Taking damage from behind
Get stunned
Entering Bleeding status
*1-5 can raise the level quickly, 6-9 takes some time before raising the level.

Risk Break
Risk Break occurs when the Risk level goes to the max lv V (5). With good timing, using the parry command or sword skills, it is possible to raise the target to risk break status immediately.

Effects of Risk Break
Enemy takes double damage
Enemy attack speed is decreased by x2
Enemy skill activation speed is increased by x2
All Buffs are removed from Enemy.

HIR0

Lost Song looks so good.
I remember watching a PV for infinity moment and the attack animations looked very slow.
They were better in Hollow Fragment but they look fluid in Lost Song.
Day 1 for the Asian version.

Lost Song looks so good.
I remember watching a PV for infinity moment and the attack animations looked very slow.
They were better in Hollow Fragment but they look fluid in Lost Song.
Day 1 for the Asian version.

This right here was why I thought lost song wouldn't be "time skill" based anymore. Everything looks smooth, including the fights in midair.

Producer

sorry for the late reply but thanks a bunch for the useful info and helpful links. Read pretty much everything and watched most of the vids in the youtube series and it definately helped out a ton.

Im already looking forward to Lost Song lol but for now this game looks like its going to last me several weeks.

Parakeetman

sorry for the late reply but thanks a bunch for the useful info and helpful links. Read pretty much everything and watched most of the vids in the youtube series and it definately helped out a ton.

Im already looking forward to Lost Song lol but for now this game looks like its going to last me several weeks.

no problem, glad you found the info useful and hope you enjoy the game!

This right here was why I thought lost song wouldn't be "time skill" based anymore. Everything looks smooth, including the fights in midair.

The whole problem is its the very core of the combat system which made the game interesting, if the balance is broken by too much speed making it a mindless spam fest is not going to be that amusing to play in the long run. So am hoping that will not be the case.

The whole problem is its the very core of the combat system which made the game interesting, if the balance is broken by too much speed making it a mindless spam fest is not going to be that amusing to play in the long run. So am hoping that will not be the case.

I'm sure they will strike a nice balance between both elements. We'll have to wait and see I guess. If anything I'm sure they'd release a patch, just like they did with HF that addressed all those problems.

Ventara

Alright, so I just started this game, and I just saw the tutorial telling me how I'm supposed to do what my partner asks me to do, like "Use a sword skill" or Stun them." But I'm not sure how to do these. Is the sword skill the square button? And is triangle (shield) the stun button?

deanote666

Alright, so I just started this game, and I just saw the tutorial telling me how I'm supposed to do what my partner asks me to do, like "Use a sword skill" or Stun them." But I'm not sure how to do these. Is the sword skill the square button? And is triangle (shield) the stun button?

The Ex onslaught (square by default) is stun and Parry (triangle by default) is block/stops attack.

Ex onslaught can act as a sword skill for implements but isn't a sword skill as far as your partner is concerned.

Sword skills are learned in each tier for a given weapon. The branches on those are extra skills for buffs, etc.

Producer

So, under your Sword Skills and Battle Skills, if you press Select there is this menu called 'Skill Edit'. You can add accessories like Belts, Rings, etc.

What exactly does this do? Didnt really notice a difference except for a checkmark appearing under the skill

So, under your Sword Skills and Battle Skills, if you press Select there is this menu called 'Skill Edit'. You can add accessories like Belts, Rings, etc.

What exactly does this do? Didnt really notice a difference except for a checkmark appearing under the skill

I'll be honest with you, I put well over 150hrs into the game, and even I don't know what it does, nor did I find an answer from anyone else either. It's a mystery to everyone lol.

Producer

I'll be honest with you, I put well over 150hrs into the game, and even I don't know what it does, nor did I find an answer from anyone else either. It's a mystery to everyone lol.

lol wow, thats crazy. Well at least it seems its not that important if you managed to not use it for so long.

Doombear

My understanding was that it was much like in MMO macros, where you have equips that swap in and out when you cast something. Like that, if you set an AGI+20 ring on the Skill Edit, then it will essentially equip that ring when you use the skill. You have to have the equips with you and cannot leave them in storage. If you do leave them in storage, the Skill Edit will still display just like it had before, but you won't actually be getting that equips boost when you use the skill.

It is, like so much else in this game, a mechanic that you find in many many MMOs. It just allows you to maximize your equips effectiveness combined with your skills. It sounds confusing, but if you ever had a mage in an MMO ... it might sound familiar. I was immediately reminded of my Charm macros on my FFXI Beastmaster =P

Producer

My understanding was that it was much like in MMO macros, where you have equips that swap in and out when you cast something. Like that, if you set an AGI+20 ring on the Skill Edit, then it will essentially equip that ring when you use the skill. You have to have the equips with you and cannot leave them in storage. If you do leave them in storage, the Skill Edit will still display just like it had before, but you won't actually be getting that equips boost when you use the skill.

It is, like so much else in this game, a mechanic that you find in many many MMOs. It just allows you to maximize your equips effectiveness combined with your skills. It sounds confusing, but if you ever had a mage in an MMO ... it might sound familiar. I was immediately reminded of my Charm macros on my FFXI Beastmaster =P

thanks alot for the explanation. Unfortunately i never played an mmo before so the mechanics are new for me.

if you can, can you tell me if there are other mechanics in the game that are similar/lifted from mmo's? this skill edit seems really useful and i'd want to take advantage of other mechanics that arent really explained in-game.

deanote666

I've got over 230 hours in the game. Just hit level 200 the other day but floor 110 of the concealed area glitched out, forcing me to reset so I am back down to level 198...

I noticed a damage boost when equipping certain items to skills so it is well worth the effort!

Anyone know how to avoid the glitch on floor 110 where you defeat the boss but the door doesn't open?

Doombear

thanks alot for the explanation. Unfortunately i never played an mmo before so the mechanics are new for me.

if you can, can you tell me if there are other mechanics in the game that are similar/lifted from mmo's? this skill edit seems really useful and i'd want to take advantage of other mechanics that arent really explained in-game.

I would say the other similarities and aspects of the game that make it feel like an MMO-simulator to me are a little more obvious, and not AS confusing. Bursting attacks, no hits, lowering your hate, switching, all of that is a little bit better explained. So I think you are probably good with those!

Hikami

Another info dump about Last Song.

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/sword-art-online-lost-song-story-new-characters-basic-actions-detailed

Am pretty sure its been mentioned before "have not scrolled up in a while" but the trailer in the vid mentions Yuuki. Or at least the name she goes by in the series (絶剣, Zekken).
Yeah, I've noticed Asuna mentioning Zekken in at least 3 trailers now.. not sure what to feel (´△`)
@2:02 here as well http://youtu.be/iBRA7eaN0CU

Parakeetman

I'm sure they will strike a nice balance between both elements. We'll have to wait and see I guess. If anything I'm sure they'd release a patch, just like they did with HF that addressed all those problems.

Not too sure on that, considering what they did was insane and not usually a common thing in Japan in general.

Though hopefully this time around they will be able to fit in everything that they want as this time they are able to do everything from scratch, instead of having the project broken up into reworking the old with the new. (PSP to PSV) content wise.

While other small adjustments and such will be expected am not too sure I would hold my breath on them doing another insanely huge content update like with Hollow Fragment.

We will have to most def wait and see of course, but from a business standpoint am sure that costed them a lot with the post dev costs after the game was released for that content. Though thanks to it, the game still has kept its fairly high price tag which is a good sign for title sales in general so to speak.

That and the title still is spoken of highly due to the depth with the combat system.

Truthfully I didnt like how the game was made easier, since it just allows for more spamming and less thought. Takes away the tension of knowing when to pop off moves and time them correctly with the animations.

But to get more sales to lesser skilled users am not surprised that they decided to make these fixes.

deanote666

PSN added the feature to show the percentage of the people that played the game that earned trophies for the game.

Only 4% finished the IM story line and 5% finished the HF story...

Let's hope most aren't syncing their trophies!

I got the platinum on Jan 1st! Part of the 0.1%

Top Bottom