• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag |OT| A Little Kirito in Your Pocket

W-00

Thanks, and congrats on clearing the Tower! I made it up to Floor 95 and then the boss slaughtered a bunch of my units. I'll try again, of course, but probably after I make a few more goes at the QP tower. Which may actually pose more of a challenge, since I took advantage of the retry bug the first time through, so I'm not sure how well my box can handle it. Oh well, at least PirAsuna has multiple departures.

Speaking of, PirAsuna has already proven very useful. Between her and the buff bow units got today (Happy Birthday, Sinon), I managed to solo the M +1 Pirate mission and clear QP 15 in the allotted time, so I was able to limit break my Yui and unlock her immortality.

On a related note: wow at the buff to bows. I haven't tried out the buff to gun users yet, but if it's at all comparable then they probably aren't hot garbage anymore. Kind of makes me want to take a pull on Sinon's birthday banner... But even with the discount that would leave me with less than a full multipull left, and I don't want to get down that low right now.

EDIT: PirAsuna and Sakuya also made short work of the QP 20 boss. Now I just have to figure out how to best use my units to reach the QP 25 boss...

chrono01

I know I said I was staying out of the Pirate banner, but I'd really like to clear more of those Quarter Point medal missions and I just don't see that happening without a pirate character.

I also heard that some people like going to Town 66666 when they scout, claiming that it gives them better luck. I'm sure it's just confirmation bias, but still I wanted to try it.

So now that the good-characters banner is up, I went to Town 66666 and made an 11-pull. Argo did not sparkle...

But I heard the 4* sound! I now have Pirate Asuna - my first debuffer, my first team buffer (unless you count Yuna's defense buff), and my second 4* water character.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but after the new vote banner came out I did an 11-pull on the weapon banner and got Alice's sword. Between her new sword and her buff, I was finally able to clear QP10 fast enough to get the medal.
So jealous, I want that Asuna. Congrats, on her as well as clearing QP10!

I still need a +ATK buff character, and receiving another debuffer (my only current one is Philia) in the same character would be nice. I'll probably pull for one of them later this evening, on the Asuna/Kirito rate-up banner. I probably won't get either of them, as rate-up's have been poor for me in the past, but if I can manage at least one of the pirate characters just so I could have those buffs in my back-pocket, that'd be nice.

Gratz on the 4* (Asuna is supposedly the best from the banner) and good luck with the QP clearing. One thing if you are having trouble is that the enemy spawns isn't very consistent. Sometimes you get 4 groups of enemies and occasionally you get less, so that can really affect the timing. Compared to the Lvl100 tower, the QP seems easier to survive, but harder to S rank.

I cleared the Lvl 100 tower yesterday, the last fight is really tough, only barely cleared it with 2 dead, but I'll take it, and probably not go for the S. I kind of want to pull Pirate for a second buffer/debuffer for multi-fight rankings, but I should probably save up for a better light unit
Congrats on clearing Floor 100! \

I reached there a couple days ago and when I saw both bosses attacking me at once, I was like...nope! I love the game, but when I'm fighting more than one boss at the same time, and they're as aggressive as they were, I find it difficult to parry/keep track of their attacks. Even with a damage reduction/healing character, I didn't last long. Maybe if I had more characters to bring (such as a +ATK/Debuffer) I would have done better. Oh well, there's always next time.

I need a nice light/dark character too, which is what I was saving for. I already have three nice water (Rainy Day Rain/Leafa/Sakuya), but the buffs the pirate characters provide. I'm tempted...

Edit:

I couldn't resist, so I pulled.

First I did the discount/birthday banner for Sinon, since it's cheap hacking crystals. Nothing but gold, oh well I expected that.

Then I did 2x multi-pulls on the pirate banner, hoping for Asuna/Kirito. Nope, both gold. Damn.

Frustrated, I did one more multi-pull...RAINBOW! Hoping for Pirate Asuna...I GOT ASUNA! It also pushed me over 12 record crystals, so I did the guaranteed scout (since I had nothing to lose, as the crystals would have expired anyway). Pirate Kirito! Man, 750 MD spent (+125 for the Sinon banner), but I think it was worth it. I can almost LB my Festa Leafa from 85 to 90 now (still 7 crystals short...).

W-00

Frustrated, I did one more multi-pull...RAINBOW! Hoping for Pirate Asuna...I GOT ASUNA! It also pushed me over 12 record crystals, so I did the guaranteed scout (since I had nothing to lose, as the crystals would have expired anyway). Pirate Kirito! Man, 750 MD spent (+125 for the Sinon banner), but I think it was worth it. I can almost LB my Festa Leafa from 85 to 90 now (still 7 crystals short...).

And now it is my turn to be envious of you. I know Asuna is better so I shouldn't complain, but I really wanted Pirito. I have a set of 4* water dual blades (ALO Kirito's, I believe), but no dual blade user to use them. Meanwhile the best weapon I can give PirAsuna is a 3* flame rapier.

I was sorely tempted to roll in the Sinon banner. I even came up with a little plan to justify it: Go in to the skill trial to "talk myself out of it" and have my finger slip a couple times on the way out. But when I went into the skill trial I ended up talking myself out of it for real. I need characters to cover light, dark, and fire, and I already have one of the light chars in the banner, so the odds of getting something useful in that sense would be minuscule. Plus, even with today's buff gun users are still trash.

S

I reached there a couple days ago and when I saw both bosses attacking me at once, I was like...nope! I love the game, but when I'm fighting more than one boss at the same time, and they're as aggressive as they were, I find it difficult to parry/keep track of their attacks. Even with a damage reduction/healing character, I didn't last long. Maybe if I had more characters to bring (such as a +ATK/Debuffer) I would have done better. Oh well, there's always next time.

I need a nice light/dark character too, which is what I was saving for. I already have three nice water (Rainy Day Rain/Leafa/Sakuya), but the buffs the pirate characters provide. I'm tempted...

Edit:

I couldn't resist, so I pulled.

First I did the discount/birthday banner for Sinon, since it's cheap hacking crystals. Nothing but gold, oh well I expected that.

Then I did 2x multi-pulls on the pirate banner, hoping for Asuna/Kirito. Nope, both gold. Damn.

Nice pulls! I decided to try Sinon banner myself since it was cheap and there were 2 debuffers in the banner. No dice. Still, I have both OS and Bride Sinon, so I get to play around with their improved movesets.

For floor 100, theres a trick to the start that makes the 2 Mino portion easier to pull off. When the level starts, immediately run upwards to avoid the slam attack that releases earth in a X shape, while staying in range for the water mino's poison. Basically run straight up out of the purple area while staying in the orange zone. Then parry the poison. The earth mino would have run up after his attack just in time to get hit by the poison and stunned. Then just wait. The water mino will walk up to you and either do the parriable swipe or the 4 hit attack (also parryable). Parry SS3 and you'll hit both of them if you position nicely. This will happen twice more before the earth mino wakes up. I usually use the last parry to recharge MP.

The earth mino will heal usually heal while the water mino either attacks/guards or runs away. Don't chase the water mino. Just hit the earth mino to regain mp / dodge / parray if he attacks. Shortly after the poison cloud will come in, and you can parry and stun the earth mino again. Then repeat the above steps until the water mino dies. You can practice this by sending in your spare r4 units once at a time to practice the starting part before sending in your real units

The earth mino (usually back to full life) then wipes all your buffs (this includes the super armor), gives you a defense debuff (it wears off after a bit) and also cancels your combo =(. He also gains all the poison moves the water mino has. This part is straightforward but long, and mistakes are heavily punishable (WF units are probably 3 shotted even with the shield up, you can heal through the poison but you probably can't take many hits while doing so). Basically dodge the poison moves, block the charge (and parry at the end), and parry the swipe attack. For this part, I try to stay at full life and SS3 only when MP is full or if super armor is wearing off. This is so that if you get hit or poisoned, you have the Mp to heal up and reset the fight.

Good luck with Lvl 100!

W-00

Well, I managed to S-rank everything in the QP tower, so my Yui is now limit-broken twice. It took me 56 seconds to clear QP25, so I didn't get the last batch of tickets, but I'm okay with that. It would only bring me up to 8 tickets, and I don't think there are any more sources of tickets, so I wouldn't be able to limit break Yui again even if I had them.

I was only able to pull it off as much as I did because of my recent luck and the recent buffs. The team was PirAsuna (to debuff and parry the cannonballs), AliceV2 (to deal a bunch of burst damage during the first time the boss was stunned), and Rainy Sakuya (to deal the majority of the damage). Neither Alice nor Sakuya would have been fast enough back when the event started, so thanks for the buffs, Bamco! And thanks for PirAsuna, Argo!

chrono01

And now it is my turn to be envious of you. I know Asuna is better so I shouldn't complain, but I really wanted Pirito. I have a set of 4* water dual blades (ALO Kirito's, I believe), but no dual blade user to use them. Meanwhile the best weapon I can give PirAsuna is a 3* flame rapier.

I was sorely tempted to roll in the Sinon banner. I even came up with a little plan to justify it: Go in to the skill trial to "talk myself out of it" and have my finger slip a couple times on the way out. But when I went into the skill trial I ended up talking myself out of it for real. I need characters to cover light, dark, and fire, and I already have one of the light chars in the banner, so the odds of getting something useful in that sense would be minuscule. Plus, even with today's buff gun users are still trash.
Don't be too jealous, I don't have a gacha weapon for Pirate Kirito or my Rainy Day Rain. I really wish they'd make those rates higher, as they come secondary for the characters. :(

Yeah, probably a smart idea to skip the Sinon banner, but it was 125MD so I went with it. Gun users are apparently getting buffed in September, aren't they? It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, as bow users have gotten quite an upgrade. They still can't parry, but that doesn't really matter to characters such as Rainy Day Sakuya as you can face-tank most stuff anyway, haha. I should give her a try, I haven't play her after the buff.

Nice pulls! I decided to try Sinon banner myself since it was cheap and there were 2 debuffers in the banner. No dice. Still, I have both OS and Bride Sinon, so I get to play around with their improved movesets.

For floor 100, theres a trick to the start that makes the 2 Mino portion easier to pull off. When the level starts, immediately run upwards to avoid the slam attack that releases earth in a X shape, while staying in range for the water mino's poison. Basically run straight up out of the purple area while staying in the orange zone. Then parry the poison. The earth mino would have run up after his attack just in time to get hit by the poison and stunned. Then just wait. The water mino will walk up to you and either do the parriable swipe or the 4 hit attack (also parryable). Parry SS3 and you'll hit both of them if you position nicely. This will happen twice more before the earth mino wakes up. I usually use the last parry to recharge MP.

The earth mino will heal usually heal while the water mino either attacks/guards or runs away. Don't chase the water mino. Just hit the earth mino to regain mp / dodge / parray if he attacks. Shortly after the poison cloud will come in, and you can parry and stun the earth mino again. Then repeat the above steps until the water mino dies. You can practice this by sending in your spare r4 units once at a time to practice the starting part before sending in your real units

The earth mino (usually back to full life) then wipes all your buffs (this includes the super armor), gives you a defense debuff (it wears off after a bit) and also cancels your combo =(. He also gains all the poison moves the water mino has. This part is straightforward but long, and mistakes are heavily punishable (WF units are probably 3 shotted even with the shield up, you can heal through the poison but you probably can't take many hits while doing so). Basically dodge the poison moves, block the charge (and parry at the end), and parry the swipe attack. For this part, I try to stay at full life and SS3 only when MP is full or if super armor is wearing off. This is so that if you get hit or poisoned, you have the Mp to heal up and reset the fight.

Good luck with Lvl 100!
Wow, thanks for the tips, appreciate it!

Will have to go back in there later and give it a few more tries. :)

Well, I managed to S-rank everything in the QP tower, so my Yui is now limit-broken twice. It took me 56 seconds to clear QP25, so I didn't get the last batch of tickets, but I'm okay with that. It would only bring me up to 8 tickets, and I don't think there are any more sources of tickets, so I wouldn't be able to limit break Yui again even if I had them.

I was only able to pull it off as much as I did because of my recent luck and the recent buffs. The team was PirAsuna (to debuff and parry the cannonballs), AliceV2 (to deal a bunch of burst damage during the first time the boss was stunned), and Rainy Sakuya (to deal the majority of the damage). Neither Alice nor Sakuya would have been fast enough back when the event started, so thanks for the buffs, Bamco! And thanks for PirAsuna, Argo!
Congrats on the S-rank clear (and LB2 Yui)!

W-00

Gun users are apparently getting buffed in September, aren't they? It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, as bow users have gotten quite an upgrade. They still can't parry, but that doesn't really matter to characters such as Rainy Day Sakuya as you can face-tank most stuff anyway, haha. I should give her a try, I haven't play her after the buff.

The September buff is supposed to be for all ranged classes: guns, bows, and rods. Gun users also got a buff at the same time as bow users; it just wasn't nearly as good. Apparently their firing rate was increased and they recover MP faster. It just isn't enough to stop them from being nearly completely useless. I say "nearly" because I did find a use for OSinon while reclimbing the QP tower. She turned out to be capable of soloing the cannon floor. So I suppose as long as the enemies don't move and gun-users have a longer range than the enemy, they can be useful.

And yeah, definitely give Sakuya a try. She was already pretty awesome before the buff, and now she's even more awesome.

Congrats on the S-rank clear (and LB2 Yui)!

Thanks.

chrono01

The September buff is supposed to be for all ranged classes: guns, bows, and rods. Gun users also got a buff at the same time as bow users; it just wasn't nearly as good. Apparently their firing rate was increased and they recover MP faster. It just isn't enough to stop them from being nearly completely useless. I say "nearly" because I did find a use for OSinon while reclimbing the QP tower. She turned out to be capable of soloing the cannon floor. So I suppose as long as the enemies don't move and gun-users have a longer range than the enemy, they can be useful.

And yeah, definitely give Sakuya a try. She was already pretty awesome before the buff, and now she's even more awesome.
Oh, I had no idea that gun users already got their buff. I wonder what else ranged classes will get in September. I wonder if it's a means to allow them to parry, maybe time an attack to reflect whatever is being thrown your way?

Will be interesting to see!

Man I miss this game. But the gacha is just so damn unforgiving. It was a lot of fun to play, though.
The gacha has something classed "record crystal", where you earn a random number for summoning on a specific banner, and after you gain ten of them, you can use them to scout on that same banner with a 4* guarantee at one of the characters advertised on that banner (as well as a few past/extra characters added in). They also have something called "step-up summons" frequently, where your odds of pulling a 4* increase with each step, capping at 2x at Step 3. After that, it's reset back to one and you can do it all over again. It's still RNG as to whether you get anything or not, but they did make it somewhat easier to get a 4* (as for whether it's the 4* you want, that's another matter entirely).

The game is a lot of fun, but there's still a lot of grinding to be had. That's really my only negative, aside from fighting multiple enemies at the same time (targeting can be iffy) and parrying sometimes requires faster reaction than what a touch-screen can provide. They do seem to be steadily improving the game though, and with the IP as popular as it is, I'm sure it'll be around for a while yet.

W-00

Man I miss this game. But the gacha is just so damn unforgiving. It was a lot of fun to play, though.

Like chrono01 (and Draggyrider on the previous page) said, it's gotten a lot better about the gacha. Sure, the base rates still suck, but the Step-Up Scouts give you discounts/better odds (200 and 250 at normal rates, 200 and 250 at 1.5x rates, and a couple tries at 2x rates) and you can eventually guarantee a 4* from the Record Crystal Scouts (60% odds of it being from the current banner, 40% of it being from a previous banner, I believe).

Plus, it feels like they're giving diamonds out like candy lately. I think I've gotten around 1000 in the past two weeks (I was down to 60 after pulling Summer Festa, then I after a little while I made another multipull on SF (250), a weapon multi-pull (150), and a Pirate multipull (250), and I currently have almost 400 diamonds. All of that without spending a penny.

Looking at the wiki, the Summer Festa banner started on August 7, so yeah, all of that in two weeks. Chances at the gacha are individually low, but you can get a lot of them.

Also, I'm not sure if it's started yet, but they're having some sort of Comeback Bonus campaign that gives something special to people who have been gone for 30 or more days. I'm not sure what the bonus is, though.

If you decide to come back, pull on Summer Festa. Leafa is the prize, but all three of them are strong.

Articalys

There are three main things preventing me from giving this a go again:
1) Knowing I'll never be able to read the event stories I missed
2) All the units/weapons I missed
3) Having to build up a full spread of elements/weapons

Though it does sound like for players who stuck with it, they're being rewarded for their persistence, which is nice.

There are three main things preventing me from giving this a go again:
1) Knowing I'll never be able to read the event stories I missed
2) All the units/weapons I missed
3) Having to build up a full spread of elements/weapons

Though it does sound like for players who stuck with it, they're being rewarded for their persistence, which is nice.

Well this is actually a pretty good time to come back. Besides the comeback campaign for new players, they've also started up upgrading the old characters (on their birthdays, and we have a bunch coming up soon,, thinkto better keep up with the power creep, so your old guys won't be so outclassed. The revival banner is also still present which has a collection of favourite units from previous banners.

As for the event stories, yeah that kind of sucks, I think reddit has a database of stories though. They also started re-running old events like Fairy kirito. As for elements/weapons, I've been playing since launch and I'm still missing some of them, assuming you are referring to melee gatcha 4* with combo window. Its not really a big deal except if you aim for top 3 during rankings, and thats mostly whale territory these days. A good optimised clear with (good but off element / not so good but on element) 4* char + random 4* weapon is generally still good enough for top 10.

Regarding the grind, all I can say is that SAO has nothing on FGO Moonfest. The grind is super easy if you pull the relevant banner due to 2x bonus, and manageable otherwise.

On other things, what title do you guys have that you really like and display usually?

W-00

On other things, what title do you guys have that you really like and display usually?

I don't have a display title. I recall that I once got one that I was eager to show off, but I couldn't figure out how at the time and I've since forgotten what it was. Maybe a good ranking title. If I manage to clear the Mirage Tower, I'm definitely showing that off (we can show off and equip the same one, right?).

And I'm close to clearing the Mirage Tower. I just cleared the 99th floor last night. I was surprised at how easy it was after the trouble I had on the 95th floor (I tried to solo it with Sakuya, but had to call her back because she was almost killed and ended up using one of SF Leafa's departures to clear it). Though 99 still required the last departures for Sakuya and SF Liz.

I figure SF Leafa (for massive damage and facetanking) and PirAsuna (for buff/debuff) are locks for the 100th floor team. For the third member, I'm trying to decide between AliceV2 (with her updated sword) and Sailor Suit Philia (with a 3* earth bow). Alice probably has more burst damage, but Philia has facetanking and HP regen. I've seen a video of Philia soloing the 100th floor (with a 4* off-element bow, but not limit-broken), but the video didn't show what rank she got. Does anyone know what the time limit for S-ranking the 100th floor is?

EDIT: I am also once again dangerously tempted to pull on Sinon's birthday banner. I mean, even in the worst-case scenario, those are some half-price hacking crystals and they might come in handy. But I want to save diamonds for when the guaranteed scouts come out. It sounds like there will be one multipull with a guaranteed 4* and another multipull guaranteed to provide 10 record crystals. Is that right? Do we know when that will be happening?

Articalys

Well this is actually a pretty good time to come back. Besides the comeback campaign for new players, they've also started up upgrading the old characters (on their birthdays, and we have a bunch coming up soon,, thinkto better keep up with the power creep, so your old guys won't be so outclassed. The revival banner is also still present which has a collection of favourite units from previous banners.

As for the event stories, yeah that kind of sucks, I think reddit has a database of stories though. They also started re-running old events like Fairy kirito. As for elements/weapons, I've been playing since launch and I'm still missing some of them, assuming you are referring to melee gatcha 4* with combo window. Its not really a big deal except if you aim for top 3 during rankings, and thats mostly whale territory these days. A good optimised clear with (good but off element / not so good but on element) 4* char + random 4* weapon is generally still good enough for top 10.

Regarding the grind, all I can say is that SAO has nothing on FGO Moonfest. The grind is super easy if you pull the relevant banner due to 2x bonus, and manageable otherwise.

Ah, that's a bit of a shame. The stories were actually the biggest draw since the rest of the game is mostly grinding, so if those are inaccessible...

I don't have a display title. I recall that I once got one that I was eager to show off, but I couldn't figure out how at the time and I've since forgotten what it was. Maybe a good ranking title. If I manage to clear the Mirage Tower, I'm definitely showing that off (we can show off and equip the same one, right?).

And I'm close to clearing the Mirage Tower. I just cleared the 99th floor last night. I was surprised at how easy it was after the trouble I had on the 95th floor (I tried to solo it with Sakuya, but had to call her back because she was almost killed and ended up using one of SF Leafa's departures to clear it). Though 99 still required the last departures for Sakuya and SF Liz.

I figure SF Leafa (for massive damage and facetanking) and PirAsuna (for buff/debuff) are locks for the 100th floor team. For the third member, I'm trying to decide between AliceV2 (with her updated sword) and Sailor Suit Philia (with a 3* earth bow). Alice probably has more burst damage, but Philia has facetanking and HP regen. I've seen a video of Philia soloing the 100th floor (with a 4* off-element bow, but not limit-broken), but the video didn't show what rank she got. Does anyone know what the time limit for S-ranking the 100th floor is?

EDIT: I am also once again dangerously tempted to pull on Sinon's birthday banner. I mean, even in the worst-case scenario, those are some half-price hacking crystals and they might come in handy. But I want to save diamonds for when the guaranteed scouts come out. It sounds like there will be one multipull with a guaranteed 4* and another multipull guaranteed to provide 10 record crystals. Is that right? Do we know when that will be happening?

Now that they have titles with effects, you can equip 2 in the menu. One is for display, the second for effect. If you want the effect of the one you display (e.g Mirage castle), simply don't set anything in effect (the title won't appear in the effect list if you are displaying it)

For me, my 3 favourite titles are:

Midnight Beater - You aren't just a Beater, but a midnight one! The Beater title from the story is that icky black and bronze, but this one is in cool silver. Plus its the very first event in NA, so most likely only launch players have this.

Ordinal 1st - Love this one due to the tie-in to the movie, since Ordinal Scale had rankings itself. First NA ranking, and somehow managed to top it (probably due to people rerolling for OS and therefore not ready for the ranking). I really wish the title had gold letters like the Ordinal Scale one. Might only be superstition, but I feel like my ranking brackets are way harder when I equip this, which is why I use the Beater one more often.

Supreme Ruler of the Twilight Castle - First tower, probably caused all of Global to freak out over the difficulty. Took me nearly the entire month of the event to get through (was stuck at the scythe for weeks), and I had crappy units doing it as well. Thank god I was a hoarder and had a box full of 4* armor and accessories. No immortal schoolgirls, not even an earth character for resists. Used my whole box of chars for it. Slimes? SD Kirito with a healer friend. Golems? Rechka can do it slowly and steadily. Lizards? Meet the pointy end of SD Asuna's rapier. The gleam eyes at the end met a slow and painful death at the hands of SAO Silica's dagger. And it was very slow and painful since Silica's SS3 heals and does 0 damage, and i didn't really dare to parry, so i took down its multiple health bars with autoattacks over 10 mins.

Ah, that's a bit of a shame. The stories were actually the biggest draw since the rest of the game is mostly grinding, so if those are inaccessible...

Well I'm not sure if the stories will go to archive if you weren't playing since I haven't missed any yet. As for the grind. it depends? The events are getting much harder than the farmfests from the start. Like the tower event going on right now, you'll most likely hit the point cap way before you hit the top of the tower, thanks to all the retries (each character can only be used a few times before you reach the next checkpoint, and no retries allowed) so good planning is needed to get to the top. I'm not sure if that counts as grinding in your books.

W-00

Well, I cleared the tower. I decided to bring Sailor Philia as my third, and I'm glad I did. She ended up doing the lion's share of the damage.

I failed the first parry, so I never got the earth minotaur stunned (I was always too busy to pay enough attention to the water minotaur to parry him after that). I debuffed them with PirAsuna and fought with SF Leafa until they'd gotten her to half HP with little MP. Then I switched in Philia and fired away until the water minotaur was dead. Then I tried to renew the debuff, but my timing was poor and Asuna got whacked. I went back to using Leafa for a bit, but pretty soon she only had a sliver of health left (and no MP), so I went back to Philia and she survived the fight easily.

It took long enough that I only got a B-rank, though. I'll have to decide if I care enough about those last four diamonds to go through that again.

Unfortunately, it turns out that you can't use the same title for both effect and display, so I can't show it off and use it at the same time.

Also: wow, what a disappointing amount of diamonds from the last two chapters of ALO. I was hoping that there would be enough content there to tempt me into a pull, but there wasn't.

Articalys

Got bored waiting for FGO maintenance to end, so redownloaded this and confirmed I can't view stories I missed. Was worth a shot, at least.

The insane amount of events/banners/features going on at once did drive home just how barebones the game was as launch, though. Seems like every gacha game these days is basically an endurance test for players that punishes anyone who drops out midway and wants to try and get back into it later.

Still amusing to see the disparity between the near-perfect story dialogue translations and the somewhat broken system text.

Well, I cleared the tower. I decided to bring Sailor Philia as my third, and I'm glad I did. She ended up doing the lion's share of the damage.

I failed the first parry, so I never got the earth minotaur stunned (I was always too busy to pay enough attention to the water minotaur to parry him after that). I debuffed them with PirAsuna and fought with SF Leafa until they'd gotten her to half HP with little MP. Then I switched in Philia and fired away until the water minotaur was dead. Then I tried to renew the debuff, but my timing was poor and Asuna got whacked. I went back to using Leafa for a bit, but pretty soon she only had a sliver of health left (and no MP), so I went back to Philia and she survived the fight easily.

It took long enough that I only got a B-rank, though. I'll have to decide if I care enough about those last four diamonds to go through that again.

Unfortunately, it turns out that you can't use the same title for both effect and display, so I can't show it off and use it at the same time.

Also: wow, what a disappointing amount of diamonds from the last two chapters of ALO. I was hoping that there would be enough content there to tempt me into a pull, but there wasn't.

Actually you can =). Just tested it. Simply go to Titles -> Effect. If you have anything slected there, press it again so its unselected. Then go Display and pick the Castle title. As long as nothing is selected in effect you get the displayed title effect

W-00

Actually you can =). Just tested it. Simply go to Titles -> Effect. If you have anything slected there, press it again so its unselected. Then go Display and pick the Castle title. As long as nothing is selected in effect you get the displayed title effect

Ah, yes, that works. Thanks.

Lots of news from the game's notices:

• 5* chars
  • Guilds
  • HeathCliff ranking (4* upgradable to 5*, gainable solely via point reward)
  • Step up scout guarantees a 5* at step 5
  • Master + 2 Difficulty
  • Evolution system from 4* -> 5*
  • Ranged characters have some form of dodge/parry

Not sure how i feel about all this, need more details to be sure. But sure seems like OS banner powercreep all over again, where everything pretty much got reset. I'm hoping 5* power is pretty much the same as a Lvl 100 4* with special skill slots usable at lvl100, and they are unable to be limit broken further, since that dovetails nicely with the evolution mechanic. and limits the power creep a bit. So banners are the same as before except you get chance to get a fully limit broken and skill slotted version as well. That sounds better than "Sorry! All the chars you got over the past year are useless now"

W-00

From what I've read, so far the only 4* that is getting evolved (for the time being) is the winner of the vote (and Heathcliff). So I hope we can all agree to vote for SF Leafa (I think all three of us rolled her). Too bad that the choice at the top of the list has an unnatural advantage...

I really hope 5* are roughly what you suggest, Draggyrider. If my shiny new SF Leafa is powercreeped out so suddenly by something I only have a tiny chance of getting, I'll probably just drop the game. Which would be a real pity, because these last few weeks have been the most fun I've had with it.

Also, I really hope that the chance for a 5* isn't carved out of the 4% odds of getting a 4*. If they're introducing a new tier, at least give us slightly better odds of pulling something decent.

Well we'll know tmr. The main issue with my suggestion is how that will work with the 4 5* shown in the notice, since evolution is supposedly coming later. Just from looks, it seems to be Start dash Kirito, Asuna, Leafa + ALO Sinon, so it would make sense for those to be able to evolve to 5* eventually. But does that mean you can't roll those 5* while they implement the evo system? Or you get whatever the equivalent of 5* hacking crystals?

Probably will never happen, but maybe we'll log in tmr and see those classic units transform into a 5* =) Sure would be a nice thank you for the people who've been playing since the start. Well a guy can dream.

As for votes, probably Rain or Leafa. More inclined for Rain since I do have start dash Leafa who's actually pretty good cept for lack of combo window.

chrono01

I have both Rain and SF Leafa, so here's hoping one of them win. I'm going to vote for SF Leafa though, since I have her weapon. I don't currently have a set of gacha dualblades for Rain, so I'm using the 4* exchange ones. :(

W-00

So now I hear that the top 4 winners of the vote will all get upgraded to 5*. If that's the case, then the obvious winners are OSKirito (top of the list, and studies have shown that there is a statistically-significant percentage of people who care enough to vote but don't care enough to do more than choose the first name on the list. This is probably why Cheer Yui was one of the winners in the first vote banner), OSuna (because she's better than OSKirito and lots of people have her), and Rainy Rain and SF Leafa (because of course those two will win).

It didn't hit me at first, but the free Eugeo we're getting is a water type. Now I'll be able to field a full water team if the situation calls for it.

I get the feeling that it might be a good idea to wait to roll on the 5* Step-Up Scout banner. We know the characters are 5*, but do we really know how good they are? It might be better to wait and see what other people think of them before blowing diamonds on them and potentially be disappointed (especially if better 5* characters come out soon).

chrono01

So now I hear that the top 4 winners of the vote will all get upgraded to 5*. If that's the case, then the obvious winners are OSKirito (top of the list, and studies have shown that there is a statistically-significant percentage of people who care enough to vote but don't care enough to do more than choose the first name on the list. This is probably why Cheer Yui was one of the winners in the first vote banner), OSuna (because she's better than OSKirito and lots of people have her), and Rainy Rain and SF Leafa (because of course those two will win).

It didn't hit me at first, but the free Eugeo we're getting is a water type. Now I'll be able to field a full water team if the situation calls for it.

I get the feeling that it might be a good idea to wait to roll on the 5* Step-Up Scout banner. We know the characters are 5*, but do we really know how good they are? It might be better to wait and see what other people think of them before blowing diamonds on them and potentially be disappointed (especially if better 5* characters come out soon).
The only problem with everyone thinking Rainy Day Rain and SF Leafa will win and placing their votes elsewhere is that they won't get any votes, and thus, won't win. Haha. I'm a little worried about it personally, so I voted for SF Leafa (Rain seems a bit more popular, from my experiences). I hope they both win, I'd love to have them as 5*.

For the 5* banner, I won't have enough MD to do the full step for a while so I'll be waiting anyway. I have a feeling they'll all be good though, to encourage people to whale. It's the anniversary, after all.

W-00

Yeah, I voted for SF Leafa, too.

Looks like I won't be having any personal experience with the quality of the new 5* characters in the banner any time soon. Guaranteed 11-scout, MC scout from those, and MC scout from 200 days left me with no 5*.

They did, however, leave me with...
... a slightly stronger wind box (Maid Asuna).
... my first scouted-4*-mace-user and second debuffer (Cosplay Yuna).
... my second water-rapier user and third debuffer (Beach Yuuki).
... and my first dual-blade user (Yukata Rain).

Overall, I'd say that went rather well. Rather well, but...

I'm gonna need more equipment...

chrono01

Yeah, I voted for SF Leafa, too.

Looks like I won't be having any personal experience with the quality of the new 5* characters in the banner any time soon. Guaranteed 11-scout, MC scout from those, and MC scout from 200 days left me with no 5*.

They did, however, leave me with...
... a slightly stronger wind box (Maid Asuna).
... my first scouted-4*-mace-user and second debuffer (Cosplay Yuna).
... my second water-rapier user and third debuffer (Beach Yuuki).
... and my first dual-blade user (Yukata Rain).

Overall, I'd say that went rather well. Rather well, but...

I'm gonna need more equipment...
Congrats!

Better luck than me, 4* crystal scout gave me Summer Alice (new at least), and 3x multi-pulls on the step-up gave me nothing but Hacking Crystals. Amazing start to this anniversary, that's for sure!

The reason I chose the step-up before the guaranteed one is because the latter is around longer. I wanted to be sure that I had the opportunity to pull on both, so I went with the one that expires the soonest first. Still need to pull on the weapon banner too before the guaranteed scout, since that one ends the same time as the step-up.

W-00

To be fair, only one of those 4* units was luck. The other three were all guaranteed.

Since you brought up weapons, I decided to do a weapon scout.

I should not have done a weapon scout. Not only did I not get any of the featured weapons, but I got a third each of the Emerald Rod and the Bloody Club. Why is that bad? because I thought they were my fourth of each, so I pulled the others into my inventory and now they're taking up valuable inventory slots!

I'm awfully tempted to make another weapon pull, just so I might be able to get a fourth and free up the inventory slots, but I don't want to get that low on diamonds.

chrono01

To be fair, only one of those 4* units was luck. The other three were all guaranteed.

Since you brought up weapons, I decided to do a weapon scout.

I should not have done a weapon scout. Not only did I not get any of the featured weapons, but I got a third each of the Emerald Rod and the Bloody Club. Why is that bad? because I thought they were my fourth of each, so I pulled the others into my inventory and now they're taking up valuable inventory slots!

I'm awfully tempted to make another weapon pull, just so I might be able to get a fourth and free up the inventory slots, but I don't want to get that low on diamonds.
True enough on the guarantee. Can't really lose when you have that backing you huh (unless you get a duplicated). >_<

Sorry to hear about your weapon pulls. I'm hoping for one of the featured weapons too, but I'm not about to get my hopes up. It'll be a while until I save up enough for it though, since I have the step-up to do first and we don't seem to be getting a lot of free MD for the anniversary. I kind of expected an anniversary quest that gave out MD or something, even a daily login that does so. We'll get 25 MD in a few days, and we just got Eugeo who's a free 5/6* character so that's nice, and we're also getting anniversary diamonds over the next couple of days (not sure if they'll add up to another guaranteed scout or not).

I guess we're all guaranteed a 6* character if we do all five-steps, and another (hopefully) when the characters we have are voted in, so it's not all bad. I was hoping to pull a 5* in my earlier gacha draws though, especially since I'm three steps in. All of that wasted MD, but at least I got a bit of hacking crystals out of it.

Truth be told, my luck in the past couple of months has been abnormally high (at least in-regards to characters, not so much weapons), so it had to balance out eventually.

Resist the urge to rage-pull for more weapons, that never ends up well.

W-00

Ow. Oh, ow. My weapon pull just became even more painful.

See,,, there's... there's a guaranteed 4* weapon scout that I didn't know about!

At least it will last until the end of October, so there's no rush to pull on it.

chrono01

Ow. Oh, ow. My weapon pull just became even more painful.

See,,, there's... there's a guaranteed 4* weapon scout that I didn't know about!

At least it will last until the end of October, so there's no rush to pull on it.
LOL!

Wow, look on the positive, at least those two 4* weapons you pulled are in addition to your 2x guaranteed ones. That's actually pretty nice, since it's already rare to pull a weapon at all and you got one in each scout.

Haven't done any scouts yet, still debating what I need to do. I have a stash of almost 900 diamonds, and most of the new story chapters undone, so I should be able to hit 1150 for the guaranteed 5 *. On the other hand lots of guaranteed scouts, and if I somehow strike the jackpot, then I can save all those MDs for another rainy day.

I'll probably go through the ranking and decide if I need the 5* to get top 10 since I really want that heathcliff.

On the 5*, that party leader skill seems pretty good. Atk +6% is actually quite a lot. Like, an R4 vs R5 is is about 500 ATK/CRIT and ATK+5%, so your whole party is getting half an R5. And I really wish those 5* can be evolved from the start dash 4* since they were lazy enough to reuse the whole sprite X(.

W-00

LOL!

Wow, look on the positive, at least those two 4* weapons you pulled are in addition to your 2x guaranteed ones. That's actually pretty nice, since it's already rare to pull a weapon at all and you got one in each scout.

Those weapons I mentioned are 3* weapons... with another of each I could evolve them into 4*s, but as it is, they're barely useful. I mean, they're better than not having anything for Maid Asuna and Cosplay Yuna, but they definitely weren't worth rolling for.

It seems that people haven't really taken to using 5* for rankings quite yet. There's only one player above me in my bracket who is using a 5* (Freegeo). The others are all still using 4* teams. So far I''m the 8th ranked, but I don't expect that to last long at all. Still, it's a little surprising that I was able to rank that high at all, given that I'm using an all-elemental team (Freegeo, PirAsuna, Sakuya) and the boss resists elemental attacks. So far I've just been using Freegeo to parry and SS3, switching in PirAsuna to debuff, parry with her, and switch in Sakuya to take care of the rest. I have to renew the debuff about midway through the fight, but so far that hasn't proven difficult. That's gotten me under a minute in M +1.

Once I get Cosplay Yuna leveled up and unlocked I'll make a more serious go of tackling the boss. Being non-elemental, she should do more damage to the boss than PirAsuna. I'll probably also try using OSuna instead of Sakuya and actually playing properly instead of facetanking.

chrono01

Haven't done any scouts yet, still debating what I need to do. I have a stash of almost 900 diamonds, and most of the new story chapters undone, so I should be able to hit 1150 for the guaranteed 5 *. On the other hand lots of guaranteed scouts, and if I somehow strike the jackpot, then I can save all those MDs for another rainy day.

I'll probably go through the ranking and decide if I need the 5* to get top 10 since I really want that heathcliff.

On the 5*, that party leader skill seems pretty good. Atk +6% is actually quite a lot. Like, an R4 vs R5 is is about 500 ATK/CRIT and ATK+5%, so your whole party is getting half an R5. And I really wish those 5* can be evolved from the start dash 4* since they were lazy enough to reuse the whole sprite X(.
Yeah, if you're at 900 MD now with story chapters to complete, 1150 should be easily doable for you.

I too want a 5* for those leader abilities!

Those weapons I mentioned are 3* weapons... with another of each I could evolve them into 4*s, but as it is, they're barely useful. I mean, they're better than not having anything for Maid Asuna and Cosplay Yuna, but they definitely weren't worth rolling for.

It seems that people haven't really taken to using 5* for rankings quite yet. There's only one player above me in my bracket who is using a 5* (Freegeo). The others are all still using 4* teams. So far I''m the 8th ranked, but I don't expect that to last long at all. Still, it's a little surprising that I was able to rank that high at all, given that I'm using an all-elemental team (Freegeo, PirAsuna, Sakuya) and the boss resists elemental attacks. So far I've just been using Freegeo to parry and SS3, switching in PirAsuna to debuff, parry with her, and switch in Sakuya to take care of the rest. I have to renew the debuff about midway through the fight, but so far that hasn't proven difficult. That's gotten me under a minute in M +1.

Once I get Cosplay Yuna leveled up and unlocked I'll make a more serious go of tackling the boss. Being non-elemental, she should do more damage to the boss than PirAsuna. I'll probably also try using OSuna instead of Sakuya and actually playing properly instead of facetanking.
Oh, my mistake. That makes more sense, given your disappointment, haha.

I haven't tried the ranking yet, but I will later today. Congrats on that 8th place ranking, even if it doesn't last.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Redownloaded the game and got enough to do the 250MD scout. Got nothing good but used the record crystals for the special scout. Unreal luck considering this is who I wanted.

x4TNlB4.png

MrBS

Got a 5* Leafa from the new scout. Woo I guess. Are guilds good for anything yet? No one will join mine, I'd join someone else on my friend list but I seem to have mostly Koreans on my list these days!

chrono01

Redownloaded the game and got enough to do the 250MD scout. Got nothing good but used the record crystals for the special scout. Unreal luck considering this is who I wanted.

Got a 5* Leafa from the new scout. Woo I guess. Are guilds good for anything yet? No one will join mine, I'd join someone else on my friend list but I seem to have mostly Koreans on my list these days!
Amazing start, you two. Congrats!

Welcome to the game. :)

Welcome to our very small community =)

I'm assuming you are playing on Asia server? What time zone are you on? I joined a random reddit guild from my country. Right now guilds don't do much, but theres a list of guild missions datamined from reddit (along the lines of Guild kill X number of bosses, clear mission under X seconds, etc)

Got Nin Leafa from the Record crystal scout. Not a 5*, but I like that banner's style but didn't manage to pull it last time. Ranking wise, managed to get 1:29 with no damage at Master +2, only good for 12th place though. I can go faster since I missed some parries, but 1 minute for the VIP ticket is going to be hard.

Jeffrey

I heard that the game added 5*. Played around in the test mode, doesn't seem hugely different besides tag ss3?

Seems kinda underwhelming for lower rates to pull lol.

Curious if this game is worth coming back to. I enjoyed it at launch but the amount of events and new units is overwhelming lol.

No energy system is bad!

Uh... I can't progress the story cuz I don't have Leafa... wtf? what do i do....

Not even a 3 or 2 * version? She doesn't have to fight and can stick around at the back of the party. You can do the other quests like ranking or the tower thats coming tmr while waiting for diamonds to pull her.

W-00

So, as expected, I've been knocked out of the top 10 in my bracket. I'm down to 15, so far. And I haven't even come close to repeating that score. I tried Cosplay Yuna and OSuna (still led by Freegeo), since they aren't resisted like elemental characters, and it went hilariously badly.

At this point, I think there are only three ways I can claim a higher score.
1: Seriously luck out at the character and weapon pulls and get either Kirito or Asuna and their weapon.
2. Just luck out at the weapon pull and get Sinon's bow or at least Sakuya's bow.
3. Bow units get their parry released before the ranking event is over.

Well, I suppose there's also the option of limit-breaking Sakuya again. That probably wouldn't actually make much difference, but I'm 10 HC away from being able to, so unless I get really lucky another multiscout would give me enough. What do you suppose the odds are that Argo would know that I would like Hacking Crystals and instead opt to give me 4* characters that would be useless in the ranking?

Curious if this game is worth coming back to. I enjoyed it at launch but the amount of events and new units is overwhelming lol.

If you're coming back on your old account, now would be a good time to join. There's a Welcome Back campaign going on for players who haven't logged in for 30 days that will net you a free 4* after (I think) five days.

MrBS

I'm assuming you are playing on Asia server? What time zone are you on? I joined a random reddit guild from my country. Right now guilds don't do much, but theres a list of guild missions datamined from reddit (along the lines of Guild kill X number of bosses, clear mission under X seconds, etc)
I guess I'm on Asia server I'm in Australia to GMT+10 is what I roll. I usually only play for a few minutes a day on the train ride to work or evening back to clear dailies and whatever new missions are available. I do however spend the hours necessary to grind out the free characters to max stat lvl 100 ;)

chrono01

Step 4, more hacking crystals. Welp.

At least I'm guaranteed a 5* on my next multi, but still...welp. I kind of expected the rates to be better for the anniversary. :/

W-00

The guaranteed weapon scout gave me two garbage 4* (5% MP reduction) weapons: Tulip Mace and Venus Heart Rod,

I could give the mace to Cosplay Yuna and the rod to ALO Seven, but I'm not convinced that they'd be such big upgrades over their existing 3* equipment, and even if they are, I don't expect to be using either character very much.

Alternatively, there's the exchange shop. I have two R4 Exchange Swords and am one R3 from being able to make a third, so I could get Sinon's bow for Sakuya and only sacrifice the rod. Does anyone know when we'll get a chance to use the anniversary tickets?

But assuming that my luck completely fails there, I also have Premiere's lance. My only lance-user is still Sachi, and Cosplay Yuna is probably more deserving of a 4* weapon than her, but Premiere's lance is easily a better weapon than the Tulip Mace and I might regret exchanging it if I roll a better lance-user. Between Premiere's lance and the Tulip Mace, which should I sacrifice?

So, as expected, I've been knocked out of the top 10 in my bracket. I'm down to 15, so far. And I haven't even come close to repeating that score. I tried Cosplay Yuna and OSuna (still led by Freegeo), since they aren't resisted like elemental characters, and it went hilariously badly.

At this point, I think there are only three ways I can claim a higher score.
1: Seriously luck out at the character and weapon pulls and get either Kirito or Asuna and their weapon.
2. Just luck out at the weapon pull and get Sinon's bow or at least Sakuya's bow.
3. Bow units get their parry released before the ranking event is over.

Well, I suppose there's also the option of limit-breaking Sakuya again. That probably wouldn't actually make much difference, but I'm 10 HC away from being able to, so unless I get really lucky another multiscout would give me enough. What do you suppose the odds are that Argo would know that I would like Hacking Crystals and instead opt to give me 4* characters that would be useless in the ranking?

If you're coming back on your old account, now would be a good time to join. There's a Welcome Back campaign going on for players who haven't logged in for 30 days that will net you a free 4* after (I think) five days.

I've been experimenting and managed to shave 20+ s off my time (up to 1:06 now with some damage). Some things I've found:

• pattern is always Parriable -> Unparriable->Parriable -> Unparriable initiallly. At half and 1/4 HP he will do a big unparriable AOE
  • Elemental damage is better than neutral element damage. The boss resists non-parried attacks from everyone, but he has an additional neutral resistance (its in the notice!), so the neutral damage boost is canceled by that additional resist. My Lvl 100 Yui was doing about 200k damage per SS3, Lvl 95 Rain was 270k, which is a very big difference.
  • ATK Buffs seem more effective at increasing DMG output than DEF debuff. Tanabata Yuuki's ATK boost made Rain do 310K damage, Cosplay Asuna's only cause the damage to go to 290k. Pirate should outperform both.
  • Switch as much as you can. Ranking accessory has +6% damage when switching. Optimal Path is probably something like 5* parry -> Support SS3 -> main DPS SS3 -> 5*combi SS3 + main DPS SS3
  • An attack right before a parry means you can use 5* Eugeo SS3 without dropping combo
  • Immortal Units like Raindrops / SF banner take surprising little damage when facetanking coupled with a ATK debuff from cosplay banner. Something like 10k total.

Based on this, your optimal party is probably something like 5* Eugeo + Pirate Asuna/Kirito + Element DPS. I'm not sure who you have and what weapons they got, but I recall you mentioning SF Leafa and Yukata Rain, both of which can be good options. If you just want the under 1 min achievement, SF Leafa can face tank the unparriables while attacking to build up combo. You still want to parry everything you can for the bonus damage.

On weapons, I wouldn't trade the only R4 weapon I have of a certain type. Gatcha R4 is a big upgrade over upgraded R3 even if its not matching element. I think its best to only trade spares and if the new weapon is for a Unit you can envisage LBing to 100, so stuff like Yukata Rain, Sf Leafa. Sakuya probably can't help much in this ranking since she can't parry, but she'll be great once the range updates come in. I'll wait since you'll like get another 2 R4 Exchange swords by the end of the month.

W-00

Yeah, I've got SF Leafa with her weapon and YRain with one of the ticket 4* weapons from before Exchange Swords. I've also got SF Liz with Bride Alice's sword and Alice V2 with her +1 sword.

I tried it with Leafa before and did worse than with Sakuya, but I'll give her another try.

Well, after moving a few weapons (SF Liz, give Freegeo the June Blade. Maid Leafa, give PirAsuna your natural 3* rapier) and accessories around and changing out Sakuya for Leafa, I'm back to being #8 in my bracket. About 45 seconds in M +1, and that was a far from ideal run (I missed a lot of parries).

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'm on Asia server I'm in Australia to GMT+10 is what I roll. I usually only play for a few minutes a day on the train ride to work or evening back to clear dailies and whatever new missions are available. I do however spend the hours necessary to grind out the free characters to max stat lvl 100 ;)

The random guild I joined seems to have some pretty nice ppl, so I'll likely stay in that for a while. But if our community gets large enough to warrant a GAF guild, I'll definitely join.

Well, after moving a few weapons (SF Liz, give Freegeo the June Blade. Maid Leafa, give PirAsuna your natural 3* rapier) and accessories around and changing out Sakuya for Leafa, I'm back to being #8 in my bracket. About 45 seconds in M +1, and that was a far from ideal run (I missed a lot of parries).

Thanks for the advice.

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, what's the point total needed for top 10 in your bracket? I've always heard AS brackets are tough while EU's is pretty chill. Mine seems really competitive. 10th place for me is currently at 4.07M, 3rd is 4.65M

I broke the M+2 1 min barrier and got 4.2M, good for 7th (for now), but theres a bunch of scary whales with Lvl 100 everything behind me. Newest trick is that some characters can SS3 twice per parry (the recent Yui is one, I think I saw Yukata Rain doing it in a vid), and have the second SS3 partially count for weakness damage. So Parry ->SS3 -> press SS3 again.

W-00

Congrats on breaking the barrier and taking 7th place.

The current #10 in my bracket has 3633724 points. But I expect that to move rather quickly - I've already been bumped down to #9.

Is the 2-for-1 parry coming off of a 5* parry, or any parry? If it's off of any parry, I might bump Freegeo off the team and replace him with YRain. Only three of the players above me are using 5* characters. Stunners are considerably more common. The current #3 (about 4.3 mil) is showing off by only using two characters: YRain and a water Leafa that I don't recognize (her outfit is a dark two-piece).

Top Bottom