• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag |OT| A Little Kirito in Your Pocket

Three? Are you including the the Memory of Friendship & Passing of Time banner (which hasn't started yet) or have you not made your guaranteed 4* multipull on the anniversary banner? Ah, looking at your character list, it's probably the latter. In that case, I would definitely recommend the guaranteed 4* pull. Just make sure it's the right one. Pulling on it will also give you ten Anniversary Record Crystals, so you can get another 4*.

I've made those two pulls got

4* Silica [Blessed Breath]
4* Sinon [Victorius Girl]

So now at least have someone who doesn't use Sword :)

But how do you recognize which ones are are which version on tier lists since they use different names there ?

W-00

For most of the game that hasn't really been a problem, since you could only pull characters from the banner they were part of.

Most of the time, characters released in the same banner are dressed along the same theme, so they're called by that theme for short. So your Silica is Bride/Wedding Silica, and your Sinon is Cheer(leader) Sinon.

I think the only banner they've released where the characters are in wildly different outfits is the Cosplay banner (containing Nurse Asuna, Stewardess Silica, Cop Sinon, Waitress Yuna, and Train Conductor Yui).

This Reddit post contains a list of the common names for all the banners released in the global version so far. You can look at how a character is dressed and judge which one of those categories they probably fall into. I suppose that won't help much in differentiating between similar banners (Tropical and Swimsuit, for example), but it's a start.

Thx

Is there any reason to level up low tier characters?

In some gatcha games you get extra premium currency for maxing fodder units do we have similar system here?

And is there anything special about starting Kirito or is he junk ?

Thx

In some gatcha games you get extra premium currency for maxing fodder units do we have similar system here?

There might be one mission to max out a character of a certain * level, but its been so long that I can't remember.

Generally you should max out all the 4* characters and 3* healers, since they come in handy for floor clearing. Also ranking events sometimes need up to 6 characters (so far, may have more in the future).

Nothing special about the starting Kirito as far as I know.

Nice lot of new things today. They really are upgrading the Start Dash chars, too bad its not to the current 5* banners. Also the ranking is giving out a nice load of MDs

W-00

I think there are missions for maxing out a character of 1-3 stars, each. And like Draggyrider said, you should level up the 3* healers when you pull them. Other than that, there isn't really a reason to ever mess with anything below 4*.

No matter how low-tier a 4* character is, though, it's probably a good idea to get them to level 80 and fully unlocked, especially when you're starting out. Tower events (like the one going on right now) limit how many times characters can be dispatched per section, so you need a decent number of them. You also need enough for at least two teams for events like the current ranking battle.

On another note, I was just thinking that statistically, I've made enough Plus ticket pulls that I should have gotten a 4* Exchange Blade by now an lo and behold on my next pull one came out. That's my fourth, so I can now exchange for a weapon without giving up a gacha 4*.

Out of what's currently available, I could see myself going for Asuna's water rapier, Leafa's wind sword, or Sinon's water bow. The rapier would be for my Pirate Asuna, who is very useful as a buffer/debuffer and I think stands a decent chance of becoming a 5* in the birthday vote, but she already has an off-type 4* rapier (OSuna's original rapier), so I'm not sure that's worth it. Leafa's sword would be for SF Liz, but again, she has an off-type 4* (the June Blade). Sinon's bow would be for Sakuya, who is currently stuck using a 3* weapon. Once bow-users get their parry, I think she may well be able to rival Rainy Rain in terms of usefulness, so I really want to get her a good weapon. But my teams for the ranking currently include Asuna and Liz and not Sakuya. And bow-users probably won't be getting their parry before the ranking is over. But do I want to make this decision based on a single ranking? I suppose I don't have to decide now. It's just the first day of the ranking, after all. There's plenty of time to see how things shake out.

I think there are missions for maxing out a character of 1-3 stars, each. And like Draggyrider said, you should level up the 3* healers when you pull them. Other than that, there isn't really a reason to ever mess with anything below 4*.

No matter how low-tier a 4* character is, though, it's probably a good idea to get them to level 80 and fully unlocked, especially when you're starting out. Tower events (like the one going on right now) limit how many times characters can be dispatched per section, so you need a decent number of them. You also need enough for at least two teams for events like the current ranking battle.

On another note, I was just thinking that statistically, I've made enough Plus ticket pulls that I should have gotten a 4* Exchange Blade by now an lo and behold on my next pull one came out. That's my fourth, so I can now exchange for a weapon without giving up a gacha 4*.

Out of what's currently available, I could see myself going for Asuna's water rapier, Leafa's wind sword, or Sinon's water bow. The rapier would be for my Pirate Asuna, who is very useful as a buffer/debuffer and I think stands a decent chance of becoming a 5* in the birthday vote, but she already has an off-type 4* rapier (OSuna's original rapier), so I'm not sure that's worth it. Leafa's sword would be for SF Liz, but again, she has an off-type 4* (the June Blade). Sinon's bow would be for Sakuya, who is currently stuck using a 3* weapon. Once bow-users get their parry, I think she may well be able to rival Rainy Rain in terms of usefulness, so I really want to get her a good weapon. But my teams for the ranking currently include Asuna and Liz and not Sakuya. And bow-users probably won't be getting their parry before the ranking is over. But do I want to make this decision based on a single ranking? I suppose I don't have to decide now. It's just the first day of the ranking, after all. There's plenty of time to see how things shake out.

Maybe save some MDs to roll on the original anniversary weapon banner? Depends on if you prefer prepping for the absolute best case or minimising the effect of an unlucky pull. Original banner gets you a pretty good off element rapier, an on element wind sword, an on element water bow,and dual blades which may be useful in the future. Other banner only has water rapier. Pirate Asuna is likely the best of your 4*s for ranking though, so you might want to prioritse here. I would try the original banner and maybe trade for rapier if I don't get anything good.

Thx

Oh and maxing out just means levels and attributes, not skill slots. Well skill slots that need rainbow essence anyway, since those are very rare, so only use them for your favourites / best chars, and probably not things like Black Wing Kirito.

There's lvl 50 quest with duel againt that sao Asuna jelous bodyguard from KoB. Do i really have to make it with lvl 50 Kirito and no one else ? That would seriously suck as i only have my 5* at that level.

W-00

No, you should be able to challenge that quest with any character. The catch is just that you can only bring one character.

Maybe save some MDs to roll on the original anniversary weapon banner? Depends on if you prefer prepping for the absolute best case or minimising the effect of an unlucky pull. Original banner gets you a pretty good off element rapier, an on element wind sword, an on element water bow,and dual blades which may be useful in the future. Other banner only has water rapier. Pirate Asuna is likely the best of your 4*s for ranking though, so you might want to prioritse here. I would try the original banner and maybe trade for rapier if I don't get anything good.

If I were guaranteed to get one of the weapons, I would, but I know that the only result of the expenditure of my diamonds will be disappointment. Besides, I've only just gotten back over 700 yesterday, and I don't intend to spend any until I have at least 900.

Ohh lol - I guess translatation of that part is a tribute to original Vita release quality since it doesn't say anything :D

edit: how do guild events work ? Do you have to play them in co-op with other guild mates ?

edit2: second 5* get (Silica) :) I was doing step3 scout on the banner only 2 more and another 5* guaranteed.

W-00

From what I understand, I think there will be both individual rankings and rankings for how well you do in coop with your guild members. I'm not certain, though, because the upcoming guild event is the very first guild event.

Which reminds me: I need a new guild. The guild I was in royally sucked. Very few other members were doing the Death in the Abyss Master +1 so I had to run that quest around 35-40 times to make up for them. That wasn't pleasant.

Would any of our players on the North American server be interested if I founded a GAF guild? There aren't enough of us to fill it out completely, so there would be some randoms in it, too, but at least we'd be able to work together on the guild quests.

Which reminds me: I need a new guild. The guild I was in royally sucked. Very few other members were doing the Death in the Abyss Master +1 so I had to run that quest around 35-40 times to make up for them. That wasn't pleasant.

That sounds pretty bad. I don't think they put enough thought into how guild missions work. I mean I maxed out my friends list at 60 plus, and I rarely if ever run into anyone i know, so a 10 person guild is going to take a whole lot of coordination that isn't available in game. My guild is pretty active so the quests you can do on your own are done pretty fast, but the coordinated missions are a pain.

Ranking-wise I got a tough group again. Top 3 are all whales with > 8.3M points. I'm hanging on in 7th with 7.98M, and 6th is a shade under 8.1M. And theres still quite a long way to go. Will probably need to expend some resources to increase my points for a better safety margin.

This feels like my luckiest gatcha game ever :D

I just went step 4 of gatcha getting 2x 3* healers and then I made step 5 which gave me two Asunas[water fairy].

Now time to enter poverty mode since I farmed all easily accessible diamonds. And that will be long wait since it seems like it's not worth it unless you can get to step 5 (or if it has certain 4*).

Question about tower - does characters in tower refresh when day passes or should I wait as much as possible before I enter it to get as much levels as possible?

W-00

Character departures in the tower don't refresh daily. They only refresh when you get to a new section of the tower or restart the section you're working on. So other than people with a load of characters, most people prefer to try to clear floors using only a single character (or one good character and a healer backup - you can safely bring out healers after clearing one area and before moving onto the next).

Also, you say you've cleared out all easily accessible diamonds. Have you cleared the story mode's Hard mode? I ask because it's pretty easy to miss.

Yeah everything up to lvl 85 recommended difficulty so around 2/3 of SAO on hard and few chapters into ALO on normal.

I could push a bit more but I think it will be better to prepare tower team as much as possible now (crystals, exp and equip) before current events run out

Jeffrey

Mildly interested in this again. No clue what's with all the events and modes lol.

Last I played was when they started the promo for the movie. Got the movie asuna.

Are the 5* worth whaling for?

What is with all the grind events? Also why does this game have like new units every week or 2 lol. Crazy.

What about guilds?

How do I get healthcliff?

What's the benefit of range units? Not being able to parry seems to be a huge weakness.

W-00

In my opinion, nothing in this game is worth whaling for - the odds are just too low. That said, if you have the diamonds to reach the guaranteed 5* step in the step-up scouts, it appears that five stars are basically necessary to do well in the current ranking event.

The grind events are to give players something to do.

There are new characters every week or so because it's a gacha game. Getting people to spend money on new characters is how they make money.

Guilds are pretty new. There was a guild mission that gave a few diamonds for enough runs of a particular quest, but I think that ended yesterday. There will be a guild-focused event starting on the 28th, I think. Once it starts, you won't be able to change or leave your guild until three days after the event is over. So if you want to compete, it will be important to find a good guild before that starts (I'm considering starting a GAF guild for the NA server, but haven't seen any interest yet).

To get Heathcliff, you need VIP Anniversary tickets. There are/were some missions that give them out, but for the most part you need to do well in the ranking events to get them. They haven't actually made him available yet, so even the few people with enough tickets can't get him yet.

Bamco has actually noticed that ranged units suck, and is planning of giving them the ability to parry in their own special ways soon. I'm not sure when, though.

5* have spammable third skill which allows you to switch into another character which then activates his/her own 3rd skill.

If you have 3 in your team that's 6 activations per battle from starting mp (at lvl 80) which is massive amount of damage within very small timeframe.

They also have slightly better stats than 4* and gatcha ones get passive increasing whole party attack by 6*.

Depending on what you have you might be better starting new account

Basically you can get :

1- 5* from rerolling if you get lucky
1 special gatcha with certain 4* which then gives you 10 record crystals which give you another 4*
1 certain 4+ unit from anniversary crystals you get for login bonuses
and then if you make 5 steps on a banner (2x200+3x250 diamonds) you get another 4* + 5* for sure and 49 chances for more 4/5* of which some are done at better odds for that 5*
special 151 diamonds gatcha which gives 2 certain 4* weapons

and everyone can get 5* event Eugeo just for login during anniversary and another 5* Kirito from event which have stats slightly below 4* but with that 3rd skill

without paying anything (I did all of above in a week :D )

Jeffrey

Like new units is pretty wack lol. Most games are like a month or so for new units. I blink there are new ones here lol. Seems like units generally play the same as their weapon besides ss3? Seems like ss1 and 2 is mostly just for clearing trash mobs in early maps.

But yeah the grind for this game seems pretty hard core especially with no like auto battle and no energy system.

What stuff should one prioritize for events for 'casual' play?

I'm grinding the one which gives Heathcliff. It's relatively easy. I'm doing second stage of lvl 50 version in 4 seconds plus all the loadings and skill animations and they give me 250 points so getting to 20k is doable.

Jeffrey

I'm grinding the one which gives Heathcliff. It's relatively easy. I'm doing second stage of lvl 50 version in 4 seconds plus all the loadings and skill animations and they give me 250 points so getting to 20k is doable.
What do I need to grind to get him?

What point score range would you consider to be a difficult bracket for Top 4-10?

It depends on the ranking event and the region you are in. Mostly I check reddit to see the scores people are getting. For this one, super whales are getting sub 30 on both, normal whales are sub 40, and normal F2Pers are about 45s each. But bracket difficulty also depends on what you are aiming for. Like I want top 10, but if the top 6 are all super whales, then I'm essentially competing for 4 spots with everyone else. Of course if I'm 7th, and 10 is like a million points behind, that might not be so bad of a bracket.

My 10th is 7.8M which is pretty high. Mostly, I'm just irritated that my guildmate's bracket has first at 7.92M, which seems super-relaxed. Plus missing out on the 5* upgrade seems really harsh for dropping out of top 10 this time.

Like new units is pretty wack lol. Most games are like a month or so for new units. I blink there are new ones here lol. Seems like units generally play the same as their weapon besides ss3? Seems like ss1 and 2 is mostly just for clearing trash mobs in early maps.

But yeah the grind for this game seems pretty hard core especially with no like auto battle and no energy system.

What stuff should one prioritize for events for 'casual' play?

For casual play, since getting new units is fun, I would prioritise getting team of 4* and gearing them up so that you can take on all missions and S-rank them for the MDs to pull more units. So use XP mission and crystal mission to level your units, and do all the event missions once to get diamonds. Then probably those missions that give free units, gear to equip those units. Ranking and tower is probably lowest priority, though you still want to do them to get yourself as many MDs as you can. Tower is probably near impossible to clear for casual playing though. Ranking high has cool units, but again hard if you play casually.

The last floors on the tower is out and totally not suited for beginners lol. 12 stages all with bosses XD This is going to take some effort. My OS Silica died twice trying to solo the first one, Liz had no problems though (that improved guard gauge is OP)

Jeffrey

Whew. Went a bit crazy with the wallet. $126 was what I spend to get to stage 5. Got Yuki on step 4 and 5 >. >

K got my gacha spending fill for a while lol.

Got a bunch of 4* these days as well so should be fun to lvl all this crap. Hate how the emergency mission is still so time sensitive. Should be open more often.

How many levels do i need on healers to be useful?

Max Level so 70 for 3* if you can. More ATK and MP means more healing. and the defensive stats are just in case they have to switch in to heal (instead of healing between levels)

Died at at last floor. That last floor is a pain. Going to use lousier units earlier to use them on the last floor, Rain was not enough.

W-00

My scout thanks to today's Anniversary Record Crystals returned a facetanker! From the Rainy Day banner! It was... Sakuya, the only one I already had. Oh well, that's enough diamonds to limit break somebody.

In frustration, I decided to go to the anniversary scout and pull until 5* or I was out of diamonds (I chose that scout because I was already one step in). I've heard in the past that scouting while in town 666666 gives better results. I'm sure it's just some sort of observation bias, but I made sure to be in that town anyways. First pull, and... Argo gave me flowers! 5* Asuna, get! But she wasn't done: Summer Alice came out, too. So that's my first gacha 5* and my first gacha fire unit in the same pull.

In celebration, I decided to make a weapon pull (because otherwise I didn't have much to give Asuna, weapon-wise). I made sure I was still in the same town and... got complete garbage. Oh well, I still have almost 500 diamonds. I should be able to recover before a new banner worth pulling on disappears, at least.

W-00

Then you have to return to the start of that section and try again, hopefully getting fewer characters killed or using fewer characters per floor.

Also, it appears that ranged classes got their parries in the latest update. So far it seems that it works best for gun users. Rod users can have SS3s that take so long to cast that the boss is no longer stunned and bow users have a very finicky parry (you have to dodge backwards and the attack has to hit the tip of the arrow).

EDIT: I couldn't resist and went for another 5*. Step three gave me nothing but hacking crystals, but step four gave me 5* Leafa. So now (or rather, when I have enough diamonds for another multipull) I have a decision to make: Do I want to spend 250 diamonds for Kirito, Sinon, or 100 hacking crystals? And with all these new characters, I've finally run out of rainbow essences. I should not have bothered with Alice before deciding whether or not I was going to pull again. So I'm stuck with Leafa not having all of her skills for now. There's nowhere to farm them, right? I'm stuck depending on ticket scouts to give me some?

W-00

Yeah, attack only. Supposedly there are a few 4*s where it's appropriate to include one limit break in MP, but I haven't heard anything like that with 5*s.

What do I need to grind to get him?

Note that you need 10 VIP tickets to get Heathcliff. You get most of them from placing high in ranking events, and some from farming, some from completing missions. This time, you can get 10 from missions, but if you missed the ones from the previous event, you may need to rank decently high to get 10 tix.

Currently ranked 2nd in my bracket. I'm expecting to fall off by the end of the week.

Any tips on improving your ranking? I find using a 5* SS3 at the start helps so they start regenning MP faster. Also if they don't have enough for 3x SS3, you can replace the ranking accessory for an element one since 3x SS3 is better than 2x boosted SS3.

10 tickets to just get him or fully upgrade to 5*?

Also i have a little problem with weapons I can get as many swords as i need from current events, i have gatcha rapier for Asuna but where should i farm daggers and dual swords upgradable to 4*?

Also is it possible to use low tier weapons upgraded to 4* for weapon exchange?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Note that you need 10 VIP tickets to get Heathcliff. You get most of them from placing high in ranking events, and some from farming, some from completing missions. This time, you can get 10 from missions, but if you missed the ones from the previous event, you may need to rank decently high to get 10 tix.

Any tips on improving your ranking? I find using a 5* SS3 at the start helps so they start regenning MP faster. Also if they don't have enough for 3x SS3, you can replace the ranking accessory for an element one since 3x SS3 is better than 2x boosted SS3.

Honestly I have my own method of madness on how to rank well but reddit discord keeps telling me i can do better... idk.

Anyway, my approach is three fold in a sense. 1.) look at a video. 2.) go actually do the quest to memorize attack patterns for the most part 3.) figure out your SS3 order and maximize all your SS3s by the end.

Watching a video gives you a good idea of how people are approaching the fight. It'll show you how they maneuver unparriable attacks, when to auto, etc.

Memorizing the moveset is honestly going to come from doing the quest. knowing what the boss is going to do next is pretty much muscle memory for me. I keep retrying and retrying until I get a run that doesn't get me hit. A combo that is broken dramatically lowers damage.

While i'm memorizing the moves i'm figuring out what's the best way to maximize MP spend with SS3s. This one is a bit straightfoward. I also have 4 5*s so I have a lot of flexibility on how I approach combos.

kayos90

Also i have a little problem with weapons I can get as many swords as i need from current events, i have gatcha rapier for Asuna but where should i farm daggers and dual swords upgradable to 4*?

weapons are going to come from events or scouts. 4* or 3* at the very least or bust. no point in farming weapons that aren't event weapons.

10 tickets to get him. Every additional 10 tickets gets you 50 special hacking crystals that work for him (normal ones don''t work). theres a separate upgrade crystal item that upgrades him to 5*. You get 5 for top 10, 3 and 2 for somewhat lower placing. No one knows how many you need to upgrade him. I was guessing 5, but some people think you need 10 just like the regular upgrade crystals.

Kayos, if you don't mind sharing, what teams are you using? I broke 8M today, but in 8th place right now. Using 5* Sinon, 100 Yui, 5* Free Eugeo, for the first, 5* Asuna, 95 Rain, Tanabata Yuuki for the second. Mainly mismatched R4 for weaponry.

kayos90

10 tickets to get him. Every additional 10 tickets gets you 50 special hacking crystals that work for him (normal ones don''t work). theres a separate upgrade crystal item that upgrades him to 5*. You get 5 for top 10, 3 and 2 for somewhat lower placing. No one knows how many you need to upgrade him. I was guessing 5, but some people think you need 10 just like the regular upgrade crystals.

Kayos, if you don't mind sharing, what teams are you using? I broke 8M today, but in 8th place right now. Using 5* Sinon, 100 Yui, 5* Free Eugeo, for the first, 5* Asuna, 95 Rain, Tanabata Yuuki for the second. Mainly mismatched R4 for weaponry.

Sounds like your bracket is just tough.....

I'm at 8.1 mil and #2.

I'm using 5* Yuuki, 5* ALOSuna, Swimsuit Yuuki. Followed by 5*SAOSuna, 5* Kirito, OSunav1.

I feel like I farmed million gems today :)

Finished unlocking stats on 7 lvl 80 characters now only 4 more remaining

On that note that 5* anniversary Eugeo is nice - he has stats between gatcha 4* and 5* plus his passives are like genuine 5* but at half of value. On the other hand [365 days] Kirito has stats below gatcha 4* but still he has special 5* combo SS3 skill so I made him for cleaning lower floors of tower.

Jeffrey

Still surprised they haven't revamped the emergency mission thing yet. Limited to only a few hrs is a day is pretty annoying for me atm due to busy Irl lol.

Is there any other good way to lvl units?

Still surprised they haven't revamped the emergency mission thing yet. Limited to only a few hrs is a day is pretty annoying for me atm due to busy Irl lol.

Is there any other good way to lvl units?

Assuming you are referring to the rabbit quest, its still the best way. Its up to 4 slots per day now. Besides this, there are a few missions that drop XP pots pretty often, i can't recall which of them there are besides the one fairly high up in the tower. which drops like 8 XP hi-potions and 2 X-potions. Pain to get to this time though.

Kayos, I'm up to 8.1M, but still 8th. Really hoping there aren't 3 snipers out there.

EDIT: Got to Lvl 100 of tower again, where I ran into the bug where the boss gets stuck on phase 1 and doesn't die XD. Force closing the app thankfully let me continue, but also wiped my combo X(. got him to a sliver of life before dying. Oh well will get it sooner or later

Also new event will give 7 VIP tickets! Good if you are missing some for Heathcliff, though that assume you can clear the missions.

Jeffrey

K got a like a handful of 4* and Yuki and free kirito for 5* and a few 4* weapons lvl ed up.

Now the question... How do I get good lol. Having issues with s rank lvl 80 stuff. Like the mp bosses take me like 3-4 min to beat, but I generally play defensive. The higher lvl stages I have no chance :(

Where do I get the mat to unlock skills? Rainbow essence.

Also any tips on the castle thing? Just trying to do the beginning but I run out of dudes by stage 10. And I do try to be conservative :/

K got a like a handful of 4* and Yuki and free kirito for 5* and a few 4* weapons lvl ed up.

Now the question... How do I get good lol. Having issues with s rank lvl 80 stuff. Like the mp bosses take me like 3-4 min to beat, but I generally play defensive. The higher lvl stages I have no chance :(

Where do I get the mat to unlock skills? Rainbow essence.

Also any tips on the castle thing? Just trying to do the beginning but I run out of dudes by stage 10. And I do try to be conservative :/

So basically to get a character rdy for tough content:
  1. Level to 80, unlock all attributes (the ones that use the crystals)
  2. Gear with R4 armor and accessory (I think you can only get OS and ranking ones right now, but they rotate, and matching elements gives a stat buff and enhances the effect. Gear with R4 farmed weapon / R3-4 gatcha weapon. Farmed R4 weapon is worse than R3 usually, unless they are tailored for a specific char, still the newer ones are pretty good and beat R3 sometimes.
  3. Upgrade the skill slots. The medallions you can farm them in events (Griffin drops void, crab drops earth and water), or exchange for them with stardust. Rainbow essence are rare, you get a few from completing certain missions and from the exchange shop. Priorities are the ATK up (since they don't take essence) and combo window (since keeping combo boosts damage by a ton). That said, farming medallions takes a ton of time, so the effects (besides combo window) are fairly minor, so no rush unless you really need the edge for ranking.

Ignoring whales with their Lvl 100s and R5 weapons, gearing can only get you so far. Many people hit a wall here. Once you get past the not dying stage in a mission (self healing and shield units help a lot in that), you can try to better your time. Tips here:
  • Team Comp: Tailor your team based on who you are fighting. Many bosses have elemental / weapon weaknesses which boost your damage 1.5x - 2x, so a 3 min fight becomes a 1.5 min one. They also have resistances which halve damage. This is why people get irritated when people bring wind chars to the crab fight, since he is fire element half the time.
  • Combo: Every 10 hits you/ your team does increases damage by 5% to a max of 100% damage at 200 hits. Combo is dropped by someone taking damage (including blocking!), or when no one hits an enemy for about 1.5s after the last hit (combo window gives you more time to get a hit in). Exceptions to this are shield units who don't lose combo when hit, and when you are doing an SS3 (you don't drop combo when hit in the middle of the animation). This is why the 'default' multiplayer behavior used to be spam SS3, switch when out of MP and hope the boss dies before that. Combo is usually the difference between a fast run and a slow run (assuming there are no leechers who are undergeared), so you want to keep hitting the boss and avoid all its attacks.
  • Boss knowledge: Can't keep your combo if you don't know when to dodge and when its safe to get hits in. Parrying the attacks can be parried means your team doesn't get hit, and the attack that follows the parry (usually an SS3) is a guaranteed crit (for 1.5x damage). Also, many of the newer bosses take minimal damage except after a parry. Consistency is king though, learn to recognise the timing for one parry and get that down 100% before moving to the next one.

I recommend practicing on Solo EX Storm Griffin. Most of his attacks have big windups so you can tell when they are coming. Don't bring an AI follower, so hes more predictable and try to get <50s. Plus you always need more void medallions. Aim to consistently parry the charge, the dive attack, and the stomp that generates a whirlwind. The peck comes out fast so its harder to parry consistently.

Tower wise, its a somewhat a reversal of the previous tips. The monsters hit hard, and timing is less of a concern (S rank is a few minutes). Your priority is to avoid damage. And you must also ration out your characters and even use the lousier ones to progress. That usually means one 4* per stage when starting out, paired with a healer if the 4* can't heal. When I was starting out in the very first tower, free OS Yuna cleared 2 stages with the farmed Yuna sword together with a 3* healer. She's really good against slimes btw. Other tips, learn to parry the regular mobs, especially the lizards. Hitting the golems from the back is safe and a good way to regen MP. Unless your MP is full, don't use SS3 for damage, use it to heal, that means autoing after a parry is a good idea if you need to build up MP

If you can give a list of units, we can try to give a team comp for the stages.

Jeffrey

So basically to get a character rdy for tough content:
  1. Level to 80, unlock all attributes (the ones that use the crystals)
  2. Gear with R4 armor and accessory (I think you can only get OS and ranking ones right now, but they rotate, and matching elements gives a stat buff and enhances the effect. Gear with R4 farmed weapon / R3-4 gatcha weapon. Farmed R4 weapon is worse than R3 usually, unless they are tailored for a specific char, still the newer ones are pretty good and beat R3 sometimes.
  3. Upgrade the skill slots. The medallions you can farm them in events (Griffin drops void, crab drops earth and water), or exchange for them with stardust. Rainbow essence are rare, you get a few from completing certain missions and from the exchange shop. Priorities are the ATK up (since they don't take essence) and combo window (since keeping combo boosts damage by a ton). That said, farming medallions takes a ton of time, so the effects (besides combo window) are fairly minor, so no rush unless you really need the edge for ranking.

Ignoring whales with their Lvl 100s and R5 weapons, gearing can only get you so far. Many people hit a wall here. Once you get past the not dying stage in a mission (self healing and shield units help a lot in that), you can try to better your time. Tips here:
  • Team Comp: Tailor your team based on who you are fighting. Many bosses have elemental / weapon weaknesses which boost your damage 1.5x - 2x, so a 3 min fight becomes a 1.5 min one. They also have resistances which halve damage. This is why people get irritated when people bring wind chars to the crab fight, since he is fire element half the time.
  • Combo: Every 10 hits you/ your team does increases damage by 5% to a max of 100% damage at 200 hits. Combo is dropped by someone taking damage (including blocking!), or when no one hits an enemy for about 1.5s after the last hit (combo window gives you more time to get a hit in). Exceptions to this are shield units who don't lose combo when hit, and when you are doing an SS3 (you don't drop combo when hit in the middle of the animation). This is why the 'default' multiplayer behavior used to be spam SS3, switch when out of MP and hope the boss dies before that. Combo is usually the difference between a fast run and a slow run (assuming there are no leechers who are undergeared), so you want to keep hitting the boss and avoid all its attacks.
  • Boss knowledge: Can't keep your combo if you don't know when to dodge and when its safe to get hits in. Parrying the attacks can be parried means your team doesn't get hit, and the attack that follows the parry (usually an SS3) is a guaranteed crit (for 1.5x damage). Also, many of the newer bosses take minimal damage except after a parry. Consistency is king though, learn to recognise the timing for one parry and get that down 100% before moving to the next one.

I recommend practicing on Solo EX Storm Griffin. Most of his attacks have big windups so you can tell when they are coming. Don't bring an AI follower, so hes more predictable and try to get <50s. Plus you always need more void medallions. Aim to consistently parry the charge, the dive attack, and the stomp that generates a whirlwind. The peck comes out fast so its harder to parry consistently.

Tower wise, its a somewhat a reversal of the previous tips. The monsters hit hard, and timing is less of a concern (S rank is a few minutes). Your priority is to avoid damage. And you must also ration out your characters and even use the lousier ones to progress. That usually means one 4* per stage when starting out, paired with a healer if the 4* can't heal. When I was starting out in the very first tower, free OS Yuna cleared 2 stages with the farmed Yuna sword together with a 3* healer. She's really good against slimes btw. Other tips, learn to parry the regular mobs, especially the lizards. Hitting the golems from the back is safe and a good way to regen MP. Unless your MP is full, don't use SS3 for damage, use it to heal, that means autoing after a parry is a good idea if you need to build up MP

If you can give a list of units, we can try to give a team comp for the stages.

5* freebies and Yuki

4*

OS and starter asuna

Star scientist seven

Starter silica

Starter Liz. Smile on water front Liz.

Gamer sakuya

Pop star Yuki

Kiss leafa rainy leafa

BTW why do ppl leave portrait animations on in YouTube videos? Is there a mechanic benefit?

Is there a way to chain more than 1 ss3? I can't seem to go from 5* kirito to 5* Yuki to OS asuna ss3 chain.

Also seems inconsistent from getting the combo buff between asuna and Yuki. Is it a timing issue?

Top Bottom