• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
this is a general question that may relate to syndicate as well :

When getting a long list of commands in places like for example a console menu, how does one "scroll" through them? Ages ago I remember a dir/ or dir\ maybe command in msdos but I've forgotten it long since.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has to be by origin, no way in game I can see

Hmmm, ok. I wasn't sure if Syndicate would populate your friends list with your origin list, or if they were separate (dumber things have been in games).

I'll add you in a bit. Just got out of the shower. Gotta get dressed and then hop into Syndicate.

frontieruk

this is a general question that may relate to syndicate as well :

When getting a long list of commands in places like for example a console menu, how does one "scroll" through them? Ages ago I remember a dir/ or dir\ maybe command in msdos but I've forgotten it long since.

Not worked it out, I did notice putting a letter and pressing tabs list all the commands with that letter

God damn this game is so slow some times. Shut up Rosario Dawson, let me go run around and shoot dudes. I have zero interest in what you have to say.

frontieruk

Hmmm, ok. I wasn't sure if Syndicate would populate your friends list with your origin list, or if they were separate (dumber things have been in games).

I'll add you in a bit. Just got out of the shower. Gotta get dressed and then hop into Syndicate.

Bugger it's in game sorry my fail :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So yea about the Syndicate mouse acceleration thing...

I'm on crack and apparently got the mass effect 3 demo mixed up with Syndicate. Sorry bout that. =p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So yea about the Syndicate mouse acceleration thing...

I'm on crack and apparently got the mass effect 3 demo mixed up with Syndicate. Sorry bout that. =p

For a second I thought you said you were playing a cracked version of Syndicate and I was about to get my popcorn ready.

I just finished the game on hard and must say that I'm very impressed. I think they've nailed the combat; every weapon has a real punch and the reaction when you hit or kill an enemy is so satisfying. It reminded me a lot of FEAR, both with the smart ai and how important it is to use the "bullet time" to get through tough encounters. The breaching adds even more options to the combat and I really like how quick and easy it is to use them on enemies even while shooting. I got through hard on 360 without too much trouble but it certainly made the larger encounters very tense. As a shooter I think it's great, but as others have said it is very linear and it would have been nice to be able to explore the levels a bit more freely.

Some more plus and minuses:

+The guns! I mostly used the ACR-10 and it feels so good to pop heads with the semi-auto mode. The power weapons like the minigun and flamethrower are also a ton of fun and it's nice to see a game where these weapons are actually really powerful.

+Graphics, it ran smoothly on the 360 and there's some very good looking environments. Lighting is for the most part really impressive, but there are times when the bloom gets excessive. Why am I blinded by certain walls?!

+Good variety both in environments and combat scenarios. They keep introducing new enemy types and weapons, so it never got boring even though I played through it pretty much in one go.

-The story is decent and there's some fairly interesting characters, but I was hoping for something a bit more original. Way too predictable after the first missions.

-A couple of the boss fights dragged on a bit. I don't want to sit and shoot thousands of bullets into a dropship!

-As far as I can tell there were no hidden upgrade chips that you could find in the levels, you simply get them when you're suppossed to in the story.

Overall I really enjoyed it and it was nice to play a fps where the combat is actually fun and also very challenging without feeling cheap. Looking forward to try out the co-op tomorrow!

Finished the single player. Took me roughly 7 and a half hours. I enjoyed it a lot, the weapon variety and overall gunplay were very good. Will try the coop soon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ok let's see

- Narrow fov
- Some of the worst bloom ever
- Occasional bad textures
- Glitchy 30 fps QTEs
- Mouse controls feel bad ( probably due to mouse acc )
- A feeling of lack of polish
- Very linear, even by modern standards

With that said, this is probably one of the better games I've played in a while. I told myself that I would only try the game for a couple of minutes and then go to bed, it's almost 2:30 am now...

I'm having so much fun with this I can't believe it. The guns feel and sound amazing. The gameplay is ten times better than any other modern fps and comes close to my favorites like crysis 2 in that regard.

I'm in love. The things I have issues with I certainly hope we can fix with tweaks ( things like fov, bloom and mouse acc ).

Anyone? Do you know of the top JG?

I think there are around 4 boss battles in the single-player, not including the tough, armored guys that you'll run into a few times a level.

In the co-op, those tough armored guys (various types and combinations of them) are really the only boss battles, although there are certain missions where you fight a few agents (fast, agile, recover each other, take a SHIT TON of damage) and those are fucking annoying if you don't have a good team.

Huh? What bloom?
ibiknI6eoz7aAC.jpg

Just finished the game. My thoughts:

+good looking, stylish art direction
+combat is a lot of fun

-story is dumb
-characters are annoying
-the dialogue is also dumb
-main character's name is the worst ever (Miles Kilo)
-linear as FUUUUUUCK
-lots of button mashing to open doors
-the amount of cumulative time in which they take control away from you or only give you the barest semblance of control (looking around, moving forward slowly etc) puts Call of Duty to shame. I felt like I was watching more than playing sometimes.

I can safely say I'm never going to bother playing the campaign again because even though the actual game parts are great, the parts that aren't really the game slow it down and make it not really worthwhile to go back.

I am looking forward to the co-op though which seems like it'll be all the good parts of the game with none of the filler.

All in all, very disappointed in Starbreeze for the campaign, I'd say this is their worst yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Milestone 11 boss fight was pretty fun. Reminded me of Phantom Gannondorf from OoT.

EDIT: Geez, the graphics are a ton better in Milestone 12. Looks great.

Corky said:
Ok let's see

- Narrow fov
- Glitchy 30 fps QTEs

With that said, this is probably one of the better games I've played in a while. I told myself that I would only try the game for a couple of minutes and then go to bed, it's almost 2:30 am now...

I'm having so much fun with this I can't believe it. The guns feel and sound amazing. The gameplay is ten times better than any other modern fps and comes close to my favorites like crysis 2 in that regard.

I'm in love. The things I have issues with I certainly hope we can fix with tweaks ( things like fov, bloom and mouse acc ).
Sums up my feelings on the game perfectly. I agree with everything that you said (although I'm on PS3 so mouse lag isn't an issue for me). I'm really enjoying this even though I can tell it's not the best made or most polished game ever. I also have to echo that the gunplay in this is fucking amazing. Reminds me of the original FEAR.

I really want to like this game, and I enjoyed what I played so far but man, dat FOV. I think I'm going to hold off a bit because I had an instant negative reaction once I started playing and see if there's any patches or community fixes.

Ok let's see

- Narrow fov
- Glitchy 30 fps QTEs

Good stuff corky, I'm leaning towards getting it any day now rather than wait for a sale after reading impressions like this. Crysis 2 was also my fav fps campaign in a long time so we might have similar tastes.

One more question: for those who tried the public match-making co-op for PC how fast did the game fill up? that's my only concern, the size of the pc community.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good stuff corky, I'm leaning towards getting it any day now rather than wait for a sale after reading impressions like this. Crysis 2 was also my fav fps campaign in a long time so we might have similar tastes.

One more question: for those who tried the public match-making co-op for PC how fast did the game fill up? that's my only concern, the size of the pc community.

Crysis 2 is also one of my favorite FPS campaigns and I'm enjoying this a lot. It seems quite a few of the people I know on here who liked Crysis 2 are liking this too, even though they aren't that similar. The gun combat is just plain great and the chip abilities are really fun.

Also, I'm starting to see why a couple people were complaining about the "mash to open" bits. They become super common later on in the game. They don't bother me but they are overdone.

Crysis 2 is also one of my favorite FPS campaigns and I'm enjoying this a lot. It seems quite a few of the people I know on here who liked Crysis 2 are liking this too, even though they aren't that similar. The gun combat is just plain great and the chip abilities are really fun.

Well I'm sold, gonna buy it tomorrow.

I am pretty sure I will be picking this up, probably for my 360. Jeff's love for it on Giant Bomb pretty much sold me as I pretty consistently like the games that he likes. Glad to hear it is getting some love, as I had some decent expectations for it.

frontieruk

OK got my head around the Syndicate setup on PC,

NIN90 is a (board)member, thetrin has a friend request and will be added next time I login to co-op as long as he's accepted.

Anyone else wanting in on PC add me (same nick as here) via the ingame add friend option in co-op and I'll get you added and into the syndicate.

Someone asked about population of coop players, tried after I saw your post no one was about or all the games were private but I sat in a lobby along 3x for 4 minutes each time.

Anyone interested in setting up the 360 syndicate?

legbone

Thanks. Is it worth it for single player alone though?

i'm loving the campaign. but i'm easily pleased when it comes to games. i also got it with a $20 credit from amazon. but i'm telling you, it is one badass game. and coop has been pretty good with randoms. at least in the demo it was. i haven't played coop in the final game. probably won't get around to it until after i beat the campaign. i'm afraid the community may be dead by then though. i have a bad feeling this game isn't doing too well. damn shame too, because it is one of the best shooters to come out in the last couple of years.

frontieruk

I'm going to sit down and play with the ini / console tomorrow

Some new cool things to look at

showFPSToggle - lots of pretty graphs about your system and a framerate counter
showFPSLiteToggle - fewer pretty graphs and a framerate counter

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Thanks. Is it worth it for single player alone though?

Single player = 2/5
Co-Op = 3/5

It's not really worth it period. I've hit the point in the campaign where massive levels of mediocrity reign supreme. Not only has the story gone in the most incredibly dull cliched route possible but there are multiple bullet sponge bosses in rapid succession, timed platforming segments and rooms with so much bloom that you can't actually see the enemies.

What a waste of money this shit was. It's not just a disgrace to the Syndicate name, it's just a shit shooter period.

I like the co-op a lot, but it's a crying shame the thing is a broken, freeze happy pile of shit.

What a fucking disgrace. It has now frozen on me more than 50% of the co-op missions I've attempted.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I like the co-op a lot, but it's a crying shame the thing is a broken, freeze happy pile of shit.

What a fucking disgrace. It has now frozen on me more than 50% of the co-op missions I've attempted.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I was scared about this problem with the 360 version after the demo and went with the PC version instead. Is anyone else experiencing these issues on consoles too in the final version?

I was scared about this problem with the 360 version after the demo and went with the PC version instead. Is anyone else experiencing these issues on consoles too in the final version?

Ah, I should have clarified.

Yeah, 360 version. Installed, uninstalled, it makes no difference.

It's frozen on me more here in two evening sessions than it did during my entire two weeks with the demo.

I am not instilled with confidence going forward, I'll say that much.

Don't get me wrong. I like the game a lot. But it is frustrating as hell to get to a boss, or a final segment and then have it herp some derps all over you. And then lose most of your progress. Or have your friends freeze up mid mission and then drop out unexpectedly. Horray.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, this game really kicked it up once you hit Milestone 13. The past few have been incredibly awesome with some of the best shootouts I've ever played. Holy crap.

Also, just curious but what happens in Milestone 15
if you shoot her. Does the game just end?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Played up to Milestone 9. I guess I'm just flying through the campaign. I'm finding a fair bit of challenge in the campaign.

Holy fuck was that first boss a huge pain in the ass.

Then I played about 2 hours of the coop with my roommate. Wow. That's a lot of fun. I'd love to play through the co-op with some more people. It's a real riot.

Weird thing to notice, but the huge lamp structures in the first co-op are carbon copies of the lamp structures in the first level of the original Syndicate, haha.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played up to Milestone 9. I guess I'm just flying through the campaign. I'm finding a fair bit of challenge in the campaign.

Holy fuck was that first boss a huge pain in the ass.

Then I played about 2 hours of the coop with my roommate. Wow. That's a lot of fun. I'd love to play through the co-op with some more people. It's a real riot.

Weird thing to notice, but the huge lamp structures in the first co-op are carbon copies of the lamp structures in the first level of the original Syndicate, haha.

The missions get a lot longer toward the end. I thought I was flying through too but I played more tonight and the past few milestones are about twice as long as the earlier ones.

Also, I'm starting to see why a couple people were complaining about the "mash to open" bits. They become super common later on in the game. They don't bother me but they are overdone.

I'm seeing a lot of overlap between fans of the two games on my friends list too.

It kind of makes sense, they're not entirely indifferent. Sci-fi shooters with a solid foundation of great shooting, sprinkled with liberal use of powers that can be creatively applied to combat scenarios.

I finished the game and enjoyed it, but sometimes I feel like they clutter the screen with so much information and leave out the important stuff. The last boss battle for example:
I couldn't tell it was the guy above doing the healing, so I thought that they were healing each other. So obviously I over-thought the battle and drove myself nuts trying to whittle them down to almost-dead, before hitting the killing shots immediately. When I saw them healing, even when both were down, I finally understood. 30 seconds later, end of boss battle.

....Huh.

I thought the gametrailers review said there was a new-game plus, where you could restart with all your chip upgrades and add more.

Not a deal-breaker, happy to simply replay the old missions and reallocate points as needed, but if anybody knows if it IS there and how to get at it, let me know. :)

RedStep

It's frozen on me more here in two evening sessions than it did during my entire two weeks with the demo.

Don't get me wrong. I like the game a lot. But it is frustrating as hell to get to a boss, or a final segment and then have it herp some derps all over you. And then lose most of your progress. Or have your friends freeze up mid mission and then drop out unexpectedly. Horray.

Get out of Party Chat (I know you're in there, don't lie). We had nothing but freezes last night, got out of a party tonight (just use in-game chat), not one problem. Sucks but it works.

JambiBum

Beaten, but yes, party chat is the issue. Use the game chat and you will be just fine.

Co-op question:

How the heck do I unlock new guns? Is it a matter of spending my tokens on an attribute for a gun that actually unlocks it? Or is there a very limited number of starting weapons?

Top Bottom