• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Co-op question:

How the heck do I unlock new guns? Is it a matter of spending my tokens on an attribute for a gun that actually unlocks it? Or is there a very limited number of starting weapons?

As far as I can tell, the starting weapons are limited. Any weapons you pick up on the map will automatically bear the upgrades you've added.

frontieruk

this is a general question that may relate to syndicate as well :

When getting a long list of commands in places like for example a console menu, how does one "scroll" through them? Ages ago I remember a dir/ or dir\ maybe command in msdos but I've forgotten it long since.

Page up / down works to scroll the list in the console

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Page up / down works to scroll the list in the console

Cool thanks, I've been looking for a ea syndicate forums aaand there is none holy shit...

I found some things on some other random syndicate forum though.

I found the following commands through the console, but I currently don't have the chance to test them out yet:

xr_ppdof
xr_ppglowbias
xr_ppglowgamma
xr_ppglowscale
xr_ppglowthreshold
xr_viewscale

PP = post process, and I threw in "xr_viewscale" in case it has anything to do with FOV.

That one actually changes the internal rendering resolution. So for example sake, at 1080p "xr_viewscale 0.5, 0.5" will render the game at 960x540

Corky

Ooooh interesting saves me doing that, which forum was that from so I don't have to get my googlef-fu on

Ah sorry about that, this one. http://www.starbreezeforum.se/viewforum.php?id=22 Somehow this feels 10 steps away from being able to talk to the devs.

Also I took screens of all console commands so if gaf wants to somehow work together to find that sodding FoV setting...

untitledvvkb2.png

I got booted from the EA server playing a solo, private co-op match last night, so I can already tell this is going to be a disaster.

Get out of Party Chat (I know you're in there, don't lie). We had nothing but freezes last night, got out of a party tonight (just use in-game chat), not one problem. Sucks but it works.

No lying going on here. Damn straight I'm in there. I use that function all the time. I most definitely was in party chat. I will try it without. Thank you!

Considering how often I use party chat though, this is a significant problem for me. It's not a stretch to imagine a scenario where a friend or two and I are playing this and chatting with a few who aren't.

I hope the issue is acknowledged and they are working on some sort of fix. It's kind of unacceptable.

Sounds like a disaster to me.

Is that supposed to be a "you have no friends" dig or something? Stay classy. I was testing the waters. I don't plan on soloing the entire co-op campaign, but it is nice to know that you are there to care about how other people are playing it. Additionally, if the game can't even sustain one person playing alone I hardly see how adding 3 people will be remotely doable.

Is that supposed to be a "you have no friends" dig or something? Stay classy. I was testing the waters. I don't plan on soloing the entire co-op campaign, but it is nice to know that you are there to care about how other people are playing it. Additionally, if the game can't even sustain one person playing alone I hardly see how adding 3 people will be remotely doable.

I'm 99% sure Woo-Fu meant disaster because of how difficult solo'ing co-op would be not that you have no friends.

Anyway, I was reading the Amazon reviews and came across this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1XSGN...50SZ2EQ&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

There are times, and they're becoming way too common, when I just cannot STAND PC gamers and this is a prime example. Holy crap. And most, if not all, PC games have reviews like this about Origin and Steam being the DRM instead of the actual GAME. People review and give one star to games they haven't even played, it's unbelievable.

As far as I can tell, the starting weapons are limited. Any weapons you pick up on the map will automatically bear the upgrades you've added.

Yuck.

Does anyone else have any insight into this? The starting weapons are it, no unlocking guns, just upgrading guns you may pick up?

I've enjoyed my time with the game so far, but they're doing a few things a little wonky. And I'm not sure the co-op has much replay value tbh.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Yuck.

Does anyone else have any insight into this? The starting weapons are it, no unlocking guns, just upgrading guns you may pick up?

I've enjoyed my time with the game so far, but they're doing a few things a little wonky. And I'm not sure the co-op has much replay value tbh.

Other than maybe hard mode, I am not sure what value it has at all? I don't find any of the starter guns particularly compelling, and if they are the only ones you can unlock and use perpetually that is both boring and limited right off the bat. Plus, we did 4 maps in about 1.5 last night, which included 3 hard crash disasters. There are 10 maps total. The only thing adding time for us is that we have 3 players instead of 4.

I like the game, the UI, the concept, and the gunplay, but I feel like this could be a very short lived game.

Yuck.

I like the idea of not having to unlock stuff. Sick of every shooter being about time grinds to unlock good stuff.

God damn this game is so slow some times. Shut up Rosario Dawson, let me go run around and shoot dudes. I have zero interest in what you have to say.

Go play Call of Duty.

Beat the single player last night. Fucking loving the game. Started playing some co-op with buddies too. I like how even replaying levels they will switch up enemy spawns. For instance, the one level we were replaying we had a flamethrower enemy spawn. Intense!

I think there are around 4 boss battles in the single-player, not including the tough, armored guys that you'll run into a few times a level.

In the co-op, those tough armored guys (various types and combinations of them) are really the only boss battles, although there are certain missions where you fight a few agents (fast, agile, recover each other, take a SHIT TON of damage) and those are fucking annoying if you don't have a good team.

Thanks for the heads up got it yesterday, will sink my teeth in today!

Yeah I tried the co-op mode solo last night and got my ass handed to me. I made it to the last section of the first mission but that boss is unholy if you're just one dude.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah I tried the co-op mode solo last night and got my ass handed to me. I made it to the last section of the first mission but that boss is unholy if you're just one dude.

I played last night with just my roommate and we finished the first two missions. It was pretty doable with just two people. I think it would be a lot more FUN with more people, but with 2, it's not bad at all.

I really wish you could party up and quick match with someone (or make public slots in a private game). The fact that you can't is beyond annoying.

Go play Call of Duty.

Beat the single player last night. Fucking loving the game. Started playing some co-op with buddies too. I like how even replaying levels they will switch up enemy spawns. For instance, the one level we were replaying we had a flamethrower enemy spawn. Intense!

I'm on Milestone 9 at the moment. Are the later missions considerably longer than the ones I've already played? I feel like I'm flying through the game right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone else having trouble bringing up the Origin Overlay in Syndicate itself?

Sick burn broseph!

The SP campaign basically is Call of Duty with a sci fi skin, that's the problem.

Seriously? Not sure how you play, but are you actually using the cover mechanic and the different abilities you get throughout the game? Also, good luck with the later boss fights if you are just running and gunning. Call of Duty it is not. Sorry.

I like how even replaying levels they will switch up enemy spawns. For instance, the one level we were replaying we had a flamethrower enemy spawn. Intense!

Wha-wha-wha? Played some levels a couple times (because of hard crashes my buds and I were having) and never saw a different spawn. Did new spawns happen after * completing * the level?

Seriously? Not sure how you play, but are you actually using the cover mechanic and the different abilities you get throughout the game? Also, good luck with the later boss fights if you are just running and gunning. Call of Duty it is not. Sorry.
It's like Call of Duty in the following ways:

-extremely linear level design
-stupid story, dialogue, characters
-many many points where control is taken away from you in service to the story (either you can't move or you can only look or you can't progress in the level at your own speed because you're waiting for a scripted moment to happen)

These things get in the way of the part of the game that is actually good (the combat). Of course these are subjective. If you didn't feel this way then great I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Wha-wha-wha? Played some levels a couple times (because of hard crashes my buds and I were having) and never saw a different spawn. Did new spawns happen after * completing * the level?

It happens on different difficultly levels and also how many people are playing. My buddies played a level with just the 2 of them (no flamethrower) I came in later and we replayed it with 3 (flamethrower spawned). We also noticed enemies spawning at different sides of an area depending on if we went through a bottom or top floor.

-many many points where control is taken away from you in service to the story (either you can't move or you can only look or you can't progress in the level at your own speed because you're waiting for a scripted moment to happen)

You could say the first two points about tons of games, including non-shooters. Those are really broad complaints. Doesn't look like this game plays anything like CoD.

thetrin

These things get in the way of the part of the game that is actually good (the combat). Of course these are subjective. If you didn't feel this way then great I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I have plenty of complaints with COD, but none of the ones you listed are unique to COD in any way.

Corky

Omg just played for a another hour or two and I'm liking it even more. If only I had an inkling of literary skills I would so love to write something longer here on gaf expressing my thoughts and why I think this is one of the better shooters I've played in such a long time.

thetrin

Omg just played for a another hour or two and I'm liking it even more. If only I had an inkling of literary skills I would so love to write something longer here on gaf expressing my thoughts and why I think this is one of the better shooters I've played in such a long time.

I think the co-op is fucking tops. I'm hoping we can get more people so we can do 4 player, but it's still been awesome with just my roommate.

The single player is actually pretty good, but I really wish the game didn't have bosses.

Btw, someone said that there are 4 bosses in the game. Does this count both
the kung fu teleporting boss and the gunship, or are there actually 3 more bosses?
I guess my question is, how many bosses are there after Milestone 9?

frontieruk

I think the co-op is fucking tops. I'm hoping we can get more people so we can do 4 player, but it's still been awesome with just my roommate.

The single player is actually pretty good, but I really wish the game didn't have bosses.

the kung fu teleporting boss and the gunship, or are there actually 3 more bosses?

I'll be about later

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

There are a few more, although I'm not done so I'm not sure of the total since I'm not done. Not including the ones you mentioned and going through the onesthat I've played, one of them is really fun and the other two were pretty easy. Much better bosses than most FPS.

thetrin

There are a few more, although I'm not done so I'm not sure of the total since I'm not done. Not including the ones you mentioned and going through the onesthat I've played, one of them is really fun and the other two were pretty easy. Much better bosses than most FPS.

I found that first boss incredibly irritating and pretty difficult (I was also really drunk while playing, so I wasn't exactly bringing my A game). How do the rest of the bosses compare?

I'll be about later

Unfortunately, we're in the US and play at like, 10 at night. That can't be convenient for you. All the same, if you wanna play, we'd love the company.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I found that first boss incredibly irritating and pretty difficult (I was also really drunk while playing, so I wasn't exactly bringing my A game). How do the rest of the bosses compare?

Unfortunately, we're in the US and play at like, 10 at night. That can't be convenient for you. All the same, if you wanna play, we'd love the company.

The first boss was the worst of the lot from what I've played. I really enjoyed the one in Milestone 12 and the other two I've played were really easy and over quick.

You could say the first two points about tons of games, including non-shooters. Those are really broad complaints. Doesn't look like this game plays anything like CoD.
I know and I complain about that stuff all the time.

I have plenty of complaints with COD, but none of the ones you listed are unique to COD in any way.
I never said they were. I wasn't the one who brought up CoD in the first place.

Anyway it is what it is. I'm just happy I'm done with the campaign so I can get to the real meat of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it just me or does this game feel a lot like perfect dark? The weapons are so much fun to use

Someone said that earlier and I agree. I'm so glad the gunplay in this is good and it has alt fires. Those add so much to the gameplay and versatility of the weapons. It's a shame that alt fires have been dying off lately, aside from in Resistance.

Someone said that earlier and I agree. I'm so glad the gunplay in this is good and it has alt fires. Those add so much to the gameplay and versatility of the weapons. It's a shame that alt fires have been dying off lately, aside from in Resistance.
Do all the weapons have alt fires?

Not all of them but most of the ones you use often have them and they're all pretty useful and not super limited.
When you say alt fires are you talking about how like the Kusaragi (sp?) assault/sniper rifle lets you switch between the scope and the sights, and how the SMG has a silencer?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
When you say alt fires are you talking about how like the Kusaragi (sp?) assault/sniper rifle lets you switch between the scope and the sights, and how the SMG has a silencer?

Yeah, especially since the Kusaragi ACR functions pretty differently based on which sight you're using. I love mowing down a couple guys in full auto, throwing on DART, and headshotting a couple more through cover with the scoped, semi auto mode.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I like the idea of not having to unlock stuff. Sick of every shooter being about time grinds to unlock good stuff.

That is not at all the point he is making; what he is saying is that you can only use 4 primary weapons from the loadout screen, the rest are infrequent drops that you cannot resupply ammo for. What in the world is the point of upgrading those guns? What in the world is the point of having them in the game but not allow you a way to unlock them like you do apps and chip upgrades? It simply isn't logical, and frankly is boring.

thetrin

Are you playing on consoles or PC? If PC my name is KelticKennedy, invite me! I am looking for people too.

I'm on PC. I'll add you in Syndicate and on Origin.

EDIT: Added you.

frontieruk, could you promote me to Board Member so I could invite my roommate to the Syndicate as well? (if CEO needs to invite, please invite RIDErepublicRIDE)

Corky

Hold your horses hold your horses I'll join the gaf syndicate as soon as I'm done with the campaign ;D

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Is there a 360 Syndicate yet? I'm really loving the co-op even though I'm still pretty bad at it.
Look me up if you wanna run

Xbox GT: Mrninjaman

I am really loving this game it really scratches the cyberpunk itch. It's a setting I really love and wish we could get some more games in this setting. I'm worried now that this and Deus Ex are both out we are done with "big budget" cyberpunk for a while if only we could get a real shadowrun game now.

I am really loving this game it really scratches the cyberpunk itch. It's a setting I really love and wish we could get some more games in this setting. I'm worried now that this and Deus Ex are both out we are done with "big budget" cyberpunk for a while if only we could get a real shadowrun game now.

My dream is for Starbreeze to make a Blade Runner type game where you can explore different parts of a cool cyberpunk city and talk to NPCs and get missions. Similar to The Darkness and Deus Ex.

jtrov

Is there a 360 Syndicate yet? I'm really loving the co-op even though I'm still pretty bad at it.
Look me up if you wanna run

Xbox GT: Mrninjaman

I asked the same thing a few pages back, but I don't think there is one just yet. Definitely would like to join one though.

I'm loving the co-op as well. I'll send you a friend request.

Top Bottom