• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hey frontier could you add me to the syndicate? I think my origin name is CorkyCorky , or atleast I hope it is...

Corky

All done :)

Lol Gaf is 548 on the leader board with 2 members and 56 minutes playtime

hell yeah bullfrog logo

When do you guys reckon we can fire up a juicy 4 players coop run :3? Everything about the coop seem so overwhelming at this point, the SP almost comes across somekind of lightweight tutorial to all of this.

frontieruk

hell yeah bullfrog logo

When do you guys reckon we can fire up a juicy 4 players coop run :3? Everything about the coop seem so overwhelming at this point, the SP almost comes across somekind of lightweight tutorial to all of this.

I'm game when ever, I'm dedicated to this game for the rest of the day be it on LIVE or Origin so if we can get the people in let's do it.

Corky

I'm game when ever, I'm dedicated to this game for the rest of the day be it on LIVE or Origin so if we can get the people in let's do it.

Same here, just holler at me on origin and I'm game as well :), problem is voicechat though right now I have a ghettosetup with using skype on my iphone as a mean of communication since I lack a mic for my desktop.

frontieruk

Same here, just holler at me on origin and I'm game as well :), problem is voicechat though right now I have a ghettosetup with using skype on my iphone as a mean of communication since I lack a mic for my desktop.

Lol it's gotta be better than the guy I play tf2 with, his mics got a loose connection, sometimes all I get is crackles other times he sounds like a robot.

I've got Skype, I'm sure I know my username I'll just check...

Yup frontieruk lol

Minion101

Banned
I've playing the PC version with a gamepad and I haven't had any issues other then having to edit a config file to get the resolution I needed. This is a pretty badass world.

frontieruk

I've playing the PC version with a gamepad and I haven't had any issues other then having to edit a config file to get the resolution I needed. This is a pretty badass world.

good to hear as it's how I intend to play online, as im still mastering the keyboard part of keyboard and mouse... I dint seem to have enough fingers :(

XNarte

So what are the impressions from my fellow Starbreeze fans on GAF?

I love both of the Riddick games and Darkness 1 because they all have this unique Starbreeze atmospheric quality to them. I know the single player isn't supposed to be the greatest in this game, but can anyone attest to this game having any qualities that identify it as a Starbreeze game. I don't care about the shooting mechanics or how linear the story is or any of that, because the shooting mechanics in Darkness were wonky but I still loved that game.

I haven't played this yet but I saw a video review and it was hard to tell if this game nails the atmosphere as well as the past 2 Starbreeze games. If anyone knows what I mean by this certain Starbreeze feel and feels the same, let me know!

I love both of the Riddick games and Darkness 1 because they all have this unique Starbreeze atmospheric quality to them. I know the single player isn't supposed to be the greatest in this game, but can anyone attest to this game having any qualities that identify it as a Starbreeze game. I don't care about the shooting mechanics or how linear the story is or any of that, because the shooting mechanics in Darkness were wonky but I still loved that game.

I haven't played this yet but I saw a video review and it was hard to tell if this game nails the atmosphere as well as the past 2 Starbreeze games. If anyone knows what I mean by this certain Starbreeze feel and feels the same, let me know!

Personally if I didn't know it was a Starbreeze game going in, I never would have guessed. Part of what I consider key to the Starbreeze experience is going around at your own pace talking to people and soaking in the atmosphere. You never do that in this game, you're basically shuttled from one set piece to another. Sometimes people talk at you, but you have no control over when that happens or the outcome of anything outside of combat.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Personally if I didn't know it was a Starbreeze game going in, I never would have guessed. Part of what I consider key to the Starbreeze experience is going around at your own pace talking to people and soaking in the atmosphere. You never do that in this game, you're basically shuttled from one set piece to another. Sometimes people talk at you, but you have no control over when that happens or the outcome of anything outside of combat.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I dunno, I just finished playing 3 huge RPGs in a row, so I'm in the mood to play something small, focused, and single-minded.

hell yeah bullfrog logo

I'm up for 4 player tonight, actually, though I'll probably be playing through Hard with my Syndicate. If you can't find people, I'll see if my roommate is down for playing some Normal. If so, we'd love to join you guys.

(there's no question that the SP is the tutorial. The real meat of the game is the multiplayer)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

No it doesn't feel like a Starbreeze game at all. It's a completely run of the mill corridor crawl.

Corky

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I dunno, I just finished playing 3 huge RPGs in a row, so I'm in the mood to play something small, focused, and single-minded.

I'm up for 4 player tonight, actually, though I'll probably be playing through Hard with my Syndicate. If you can't find people, I'll see if my roommate is down for playing some Normal. If so, we'd love to join you guys.

(there's no question that the SP is the tutorial. The real meat of the game is the multiplayer)

I'm up for any run from anywhere inbetween 18:00 CET to like 00:00 CET

Here's a Rock Paper Shotgun review of the single-player mode: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/24/syndicate-review-pc/
They nail it:

There are flashes of real excitement, when it grants you the space and the headcount to decimate a room full of goons with a combination of ultra-guns and mind control and thus like Sir Bad of Ass, bad-ass ruler of Badassia. But then it’ll collapse into ten minutes of making some lifts go up and down, hammering F to slowly open some doors and listening to boring people say boring things.
This is exactly what I complained about, the ratio of pointless time wasting filler to action is way too high for my tastes.

epmode

A pretentious, way over-the-top, overly negative review of a multi-platform game from RPS? What a shock. Can't stand that site most of the time.
It's probably the best non-forum videogame news/criticism site on the internet so I can understand why you don't like it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yea I'm up for it :)

btw, that level we did - was that the entire level? 1 out of 4 ?

There are 9 levels in co-op iirc.

They nail it:

This is exactly what I complained about, the ratio of pointless time wasting filler to action is way too high for my tastes.

Strangely, I felt like the quiet sections were few and far between. The single player in my experience is at 11 for like, 90% of the time.

It was nice to get at least 2 minutes of downtime.

Another reason I never listen to giantbomb anymore. Gerstman.. I am dissapoint.

5/5 ? please.

The co-op is pretty god damn awesome.

frontieruk

There are 9 levels in co-op iirc.

Strangely, I felt like the quiet sections were few and far between. The single player in my experience is at 11 for like, 90% of the time.

It was nice to get at least 2 minutes of downtime.

The co-op is pretty god damn awesome.

Heh you able to join us trin?

and I have to tab out of the game to use the origin overlay too

d00d3n

I think the Starbreeze atmospheric quality boils down to feeling physically present in the world (visible feet, nice situational animations, head bobble and so on) and to great visual design. Both of these components are in the game. Sadly, there is no exploration, no stealth, no optional areas and strict linearity through the levels. The great atmosphere seems wasted in a game where you mostly run from room to room and shoot at people that are magnetically drawn to you.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I really want to like this game, but I hit a game-breaking bug at the first boss fight. I died once, respawned as normal, then died again and respawned stuck inside the train. I can't move, can't jump out, and it checkpointed me right there. Reloading the campaign doesn't fix it, nor did restarting the game and loading.

I even tried starting using the chapter select and went all the way back through the previous mission, but when you complete it, it just dumps you back to the chapter select. Meaning, I have to start a new campaign all over again...

I think the Starbreeze atmospheric quality boils down to feeling physically present in the world (visible feet, nice situational animations, head bobble and so on) and to great visual design. Both of these components are in the game. Sadly, there is no exploration, no stealth, no optional areas and strict linearity through the levels. The great atmosphere seems wasted in a game where you mostly run from room to room and shoot at people that are magnetically drawn to you.
Great post. I've only just begun the campaign
returned from the train shootout
but I completely agree. It's definitely a Starbreeze game: the world is wonderfully detailed & atmospheric, and there's a real sense of physically being there. The shooting mechanics are great, the firefights are satisfying, but there's definitely a feeling of confinement to everything. You're constantly being funneled. I wish they'd open things up a bit more, like the firefights in co-op mode.

I'm having a blast with it, and dying to put more time into co-op. But yeah, there's more potential to this than what I've experienced so far.

It's probably the best non-forum videogame news/criticism site on the internet so I can understand why you don't like it.
That site gives PC gamers a bad name, imo, although they can be hit and miss. RPS also completely buried Fallout New Vegas for inexplicable reasons. It was one of the worst reviews I've read and came off incredibly haughty and elitist and still leaves a sour taste in my mouth to this day. Frankly, I'd take a few pages of GAF impressions like in this thread over any review from a journalist, even from the "best non-forum video game site on the Internet".

frontieruk

Here's our stats so far, com'on PC gaf we need your help!

e3XGR.png

All current members are now Board members which allows them to add people to the Syndicate.

Corky

Omg that was a blast guys, I haven't had this much fun in a coop game since L4D.

frontieruk

So this looks like it achieves what I wanted out of a new Deus Ex... is it good?

Well Corky and I are having a blast in Co-op and I'm hoping kami_sama is too, even though it seem mostly picking my sorry ass up off the floor lol, it's surprising how quickly you get attuned to the other players in the co-op without voice you know where they'll be and what they'll be doing.

epmode

Sorry, Origin is required to activate it just as steam is required to activate steamworks games
The Steam comparison was helpful, thanks!

So this looks like it achieves what I wanted out of a new Deus Ex... is it good?
From the RPS review:

Syndicate is Deus Ex: Human Revolution without the stealth, hacking or conversation. It takes the concept of being a hard-as-nails cyborg enforcer in a near-future world dominated by sinister corporations and leaves you free to indulge in the power fantasy, rather than worrying about what the right thing to do is, how to build the most efficient character spec and whether you’ve found all the side-missions. You’re a walking war machine, so go wage war.
Syndicate comes across like Human Revolution’s half-wit cousin even at the best of times, but even more so at the worst of times – these godawful boss fights. The difficulty doesn’t so much spike as transform into a thousand-foot tall stalactite of infuriating, grinding cruelty. They’re certainly not impossible, although I did abandon the game what appears to be minutes before the end because I couldn’t face a fortieth miserable attempt at vanquishing my sucker-punching nemesis, but they are this amount of fun: 0. Like Human Revolution they render your special abilities useless, and like Human Revolution they destroy the sense that you’re a superhuman whirlwind of destruction. Instead you’re a guy who hides behind pillars, swearing and frantically wishing your health would recharge a whole lot more quickly.

Got the game for the Xbox. Any people have a Syndicate going and need an extra person?

GT = MattyIce1982

My first impressions so far. Made it to mission 7 and did 3 of the co-op missions. I really like the game, except whoever decided to put bloom on blast on certain parts. Man, I feel like I gotta wear sunglasses at some points lol.

Top Bottom