• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Blind swordsman was in a random jam, so I proceeded to save him. I liked his introduction.

At this point in the game I really don't know if I'll even bother to switch my warrior to anything else and take the time to level.

DarkKyo

Urban Scholar said:
Blind swordsman was in a random jam, so I proceeded to save him. I liked his introduction.

At this point in the game I really don't know if I'll even bother to switch my warrior to anything else and take the time to level.
I just got this encounter myself! He is a really cool character.
I didn't realize he was blind until he said so, I just thought he liked having his eyes closed.
He comes with a lot of great skills so I'm going to make him one of my key players.

Dechaios said:
I didn't realize he was blind until he said so, I just thought he liked having his eyes closed.
He comes with a lot of great skills so I'm going to make him one of my key players.

When he mentioned the wind that's when I knew =p. I want to use him as well but I guess time will tell.

sikkinixx

I'm part way through Chapter 3 and I'm starting to get a bit weary of the game. The leveling system has basically made me avoid using many new classes since it takes so fucking long to level them up and while doing so, they are utterly useless. Basically every random battle is -2 members because they scurry to the corner so they aren't one hit killed while my remaining heavyweights exploit the often silly AI into chasing them around while archers and mages destroy them.

And I'm sure it's my memory playing tricks on me but in FFT I remember there being more variety is missions, not just in objectives but in battlefield lay outs. So far in TO it's usually a town, where the enemy is about 3 turns away, has the height advantage and the paths are so narrow it feels like I inch my way up to them. And since you only ever need to kill the main baddie, battles can be over very quickly if you want them to be.

I really like the game, the story is great, the music is tits, it's just... I dunno... maybe I have been playing it way too much.

thefil

Finally got to chapter 2 and recruited my first Octopus.

Is it possible to recruit enemy leaders? A lot of times, somebody will show up and have some plot surrounding them (like
a girl with a brother killed in the "Galgastani" massacre at Balamusa
) and I'm curious if I missed an opportunity to add a unique character to my party.

At least I have my octopus.

Yaweee

thefil said:
Finally got to chapter 2 and recruited my first Octopus.

Is it possible to recruit enemy leaders? A lot of times, somebody will show up and have some plot surrounding them (like
a girl with a brother killed in the "Galgastani" massacre at Balamusa
) and I'm curious if I missed an opportunity to add a unique character to my party.

At least I have my octopus.

No, you can't recruit enemy leaders unless they are part of the plot. However, pretty much every single enemy leader that you kill does have an entry in the Warren Report. "Oh, great, I just murdered a renowned painter".

Yaweee said:
"Oh, great, I just murdered a renowned painter".

"Then you killed his political philosopher of a brother. I'm sure their well-known architect father will be happy to see his sons coming home in boxes. Good job."

sikkinixx said:
I'm part way through Chapter 3 and I'm starting to get a bit weary of the game. The leveling system has basically made me avoid using many new classes since it takes so fucking long to level them up and while doing so, they are utterly useless. Basically every random battle is -2 members because they scurry to the corner so they aren't one hit killed while my remaining heavyweights exploit the often silly AI into chasing them around while archers and mages destroy them.

And I'm sure it's my memory playing tricks on me but in FFT I remember there being more variety is missions, not just in objectives but in battlefield lay outs. So far in TO it's usually a town, where the enemy is about 3 turns away, has the height advantage and the paths are so narrow it feels like I inch my way up to them. And since you only ever need to kill the main baddie, battles can be over very quickly if you want them to be.

I really like the game, the story is great, the music is tits, it's just... I dunno... maybe I have been playing it way too much.

Thank God you never played the original, because you'd shoot yourself. Leveling was an absolute nightmare.

Needless to say, I beat the PS1 version, and I'm enjoying the remake immensely -- the new translation, job system, XP/SP system are all fantastic.

Fimbulvetr said:
"Then you killed his political philosopher of a brother. I'm sure their well-known architect father will be happy to see his sons coming home in boxes. Good job."

Still enjoy the hey you just killed a whole family that was into wacky black magic.

Yaweee

sikkinixx said:

I think you misremember FFT. Nearly all of the battles were "kill all enemies" starting 2 turn away from them, with obstacles in the way that didn't necessarily get in the way of your movement or aiming. There were SOME kill all in each chapter (like 3 in each of the first few chapters), but for the most part it was kill everybody. There were some particularly interesting battles in FFT, but for the most part they were an anomaly.

Yes, battles can be over quickly, for better or for worse. I wish enemy bosses weren't just soft human targets; they should have more HP than they do in most circumstances.

Side-battles can be a lot of more interesting, especially the 4 bonus dungeons. Huge variations in enemy composition. Eventually, the main story missions will have more monsters in the mix, but at your point the only place to find them is the Wildwood dungeon.

finalozzo said:
how can i recruit an octopus?
you need a beast tamer class thingy, have the actual tame (or subdue, I can't remember which is which) skill learned and equipped, then beat up an octopus within an inch of its life, stand next to it, use the skill, get a successful roll.

Wilsongt

Fuck
Cistina
. I had her at great health last night and she was well protected, only to have the Dragon come up and kill her.

What is with her being programmed to go to her death?

Yaweee

Fistwell said:
you need a beast tamer class thingy, have the actual tame (or subdue, I can't remember which is which) skill learned and equipped, then beat up an octopus within an inch of its life, stand next to it, use the skill, get a successful roll.

And you can abuse CHARIOT to help by trying, failing, moving to a different side and retrying.

bluemax

Banned
Archers, especially Canopus, are pretty OP early game.

Also I missed getting Dragoon marks in the first story mission they show up, how soon until I see them again?

Yaweee

Fistwell said:
I haven't even touched the chariot system yet. Is there some penalty to it?

In the Warren Report, there are records for:

Encounters
Victories
Victories without using CHARIOT

So there is a Title (read: achievement) linked with not using CHARIOT.

bluemax said:
Archers, especially Canopus, are pretty OP early game.

Also I missed getting Dragoon marks in the first story mission they show up, how soon until I see them again?

The Wildwood that opens in Chapter 2 has tons of marks and beasts/dragons, etc. Check the Warren Report to unlock it.

Yaweee said:
So there is a Title (read: achievement) linked with not using CHARIOT.

The Wildwood that opens in Chapter 2 has tons of marks and beasts/dragons, etc. Check the Warren Report to unlock it.
Any gameplay benefits you get from titles? Also, i've kinda inadvertently waltzed my way into chapter 3, without knowing i'd
lose access to the woods
. Can i go back at some point in time?
Thanks.

Yaweee

Fistwell said:
Any gameplay benefits you get from titles? Also, i've kinda inadvertently waltzed my way into chapter 3, without knowing i'd
lose access to the woods
. Can i go back at some point in time?
Thanks.

No benefit at all to titles. There's just a shitload of them for novelty's sake.

Wildwood will always be unlockable. There is a part of C3 when you're away from it, though, so you may have to wait a few battles.

joelseph

I was trying to do a no chariot/no death run but it is pretty tiring and I am starting to wear out. If the only reward is a title then I might just drop it.

Wilsongt said:
Fuck
Cistina
. I had her at great health last night and she was well protected, only to have the Dragon come up and kill her.

What is with her being programmed to go to her death?

I'm struggling with her too. She just keeps dieing. Last try she was at great health and near my healers down at the bottom, just to have the Dragon freakin' one shot her, ugh.

Yaweee

joelseph said:
I was trying to do a no chariot/no death run but it is pretty tiring and I am starting to wear out. If the only reward is a title then I might just drop it.

They're all just slight novelties to add replay value to the game. I like that they codified specific rules to shoot for and actually keep the necessary records.

joelseph said:

i'll stick to my original no chariot run. too bad there are no real rewards for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh shit. The story finally started to pick up when
You're ordered to kill the old people camp because they won't rally with you.
I refused to do it. Chaos path locked? Vyse left the party and became a total dick and now I'm in a totally unfair forced battle that's an uphill battle to save units. Ugh.

RDreamer

AAAAH! This is the most annoying battle ever. I'm in the woods in chapter 2, and it seems like the entire freaking other side can heal. So for the past like 30 minutes I've been doing nothing but widdling away at them while they multi heal and chasing an archer around within 1 fucking block every time while he just hits all my weak units...

Yaweee said:
Wildwood will always be unlockable. There is a part of C3 when you're away from it, though, so you may have to wait a few battles.
How big is the wood? I've only gone a cple of battles into it before a swarm of dragons proceeded to roast, chew, and spit out my ass (in that order).
Sry for the flood of questions.

Yaweee

Fistwell said:
How big is the wood? I've only gone a cple of battles into it before a swarm of dragons proceeded to roast, chew, and spit out my ass (in that order).
Sry for the flood of questions.

Opening battle

Then a branch into:
-3 or 4 battle Monster wing (left)
-3 or 4 battle Human wing (right)

In Chapter 3, an additional three battles off shoot off of the Monster wing, mostly humans with some monsters

In Chapter 4, another set of battles shoots off of the Chapter 3 part.

EDIT: Just check the talk section of the Warren Report frequently.

Masaki_

So I finally got to the Palace of the Dead and
I wish someone told me this thing had 100 floors before I got in. While I did make it to the first shop, I feel I'm unprepared for the whole thing.

However, I did learn you can make a Lich here and I want one first before I leave this place, so I'm wondering where I can find one of them Rings of the Dead before I get to floor 41.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Yaweee said:
Opening battle

Then a branch into:
-3 or 4 battle Monster wing (left)
-3 or 4 battle Human wing (right)

In Chapter 3, an additional three battles off shoot off of the Monster wing, mostly humans with some monsters

In Chapter 4, another set of battles shoots off of the Chapter 3 part.

EDIT: Just check the talk section of the Warren Report frequently.
Someone might have already mentioned this, but the enemy arrangement is semi-randomly generated in this area, so you can recruit a wide variety of dragons if you're patient enough to restart battles. I think I managed to tame all the dragon types just from just two battles (fire, water, ice, earth, wind, lightning - but maybe there are more later in the game).

Balphon

TheSeks said:
Oh shit. The story finally started to pick up when
You're ordered to kill the old people camp because they won't rally with you.
I refused to do it. Chaos path locked? Vyse left the party and became a total dick and now I'm in a totally unfair forced battle that's an uphill battle to save units. Ugh.

That starts the chaos path, yeah. As for what Vyse does there, it's funny how
depending on what choice you make, he either becomes the "hero" or reveals that he's been barely suppressing psychosis this whole time.

Crakatak187 said:
I heard it's based on the galgastani loyalty when you recruit them. I'm not sure which type of path Law, Neutral, or Chaos.

If you are asking to check character loyalty press select and highlight the name.

I'm sure basileus might know.

The recruit requirement is 50, but the loyalty quotes go from 41-60 and 61-80, so they're not a great indicator. The loyalty quotes are:

Law:
61-80: This unit often speaks on your behalf to win others to your side.
41-60: More often than not, this unit speaks in support of your decisions.

Neutral:
61-80: This unit looks favorably on your decisions and shares an understanding with you.
41-60: Though not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are.

Chaos:
61-80: This unit is prepared to put aside its own interests in the service of your cause.
41-60: Though not openly discontent, this unit makes no effort to keep counsel with you.

So if your fresh Galgastan has the 41-60 quote, your CF may be high enough. If it has the 61-80 one, it definitely is.

chris-013

Chapter 2 :
I saw ravaness and saved her but she didn't join, will she join later or my answer was bad when she asked me something ?

The beasts are too powerful ! Octopus 250HP ! o_O
I think right now the best strategy is to kill the healers than the leader and don't bother with other enemies ?

There is a way to raise the skill of weapon very fast ?

Because my Denam is a knight, he is near invincible against melee/arrow. He wears the best equipment at the moment with 1H sword and a shield. His sword rank will soon level up to 2, but I have also another knight with a 2hand mace and he don't lose a lof of defense and gain a lot of ATK so I will maybe train Denam with a mace too...

chris-013 said:
Chapter 2 :
I saw ravaness and saved her but she didn't join, will she join later or my answer was bad when she asked me something ?
You don't get her until chapter 3. Just make sure you recruit Jeunan at Brigantys (option 2 in dialogue) and bring him to the battle Bahanna and hear all his dialogue. Then after you take Coritanae, there will be a news report that opens up a battle in Bahanna where you can recruit Ravness.

chris-013

Basileus777 said:
You don't get her until chapter 3. Just make sure you recruit Jeunan at Brigantys (option 2 in dialogue) and bring him to the battle Bahanna and hear all his dialogue. Then after you take Coritanae, there will be a news report that opens up a battle in Bahanna where you can recruit Ravness.

Thanks !

Where can I tame monsters ? Dragons, octopus and gryphons ?
I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 after the fight with the pirate.

Finalow

Fistwell said:
tame is only for dragons, isn't it? I think subdue is the right one, i'm going to test it.

Yaweee

finalozzo said:
tame is only for dragons, isn't it? I think subdue is the right one, i'm going to test it.

Subdue is for Beasts, Tame is for Dragons. They can't be equipped at the same time, but I find it worthwhile to put 1 recruiting Skill on many party members, just to have your bases covered. Subdue on Denam, Tame on Canopus, Coax on my Wizard, Recruit on my Clerics, Golem on my Berserker.

You can grab units/classes that are normally very, very difficult to make on your own. Nercromancers, Liches, Divine Knights, and Fusils can be grabbed in certain battles.

Wilsongt

Die Squirrel Die said:
Is saving Cistina actually something you are meant to be able to do on your first go or is it more a WORLD replay thing?

It's required. If you choose to let her go, you get bitched at and have to save her anyway.

Yaweee

Wilsongt said:
It's required. If you choose to let her go, you get bitched at and have to save her anyway.

No, she can die and be dead as far as the plot is concerned. Saying 'Ignore her' just leads to the game not giving a Game Over if she dies. She's just dead for good then.

Use naked decoys to draw attention from her.

Wilsongt said:

I let her die. She wanted it so bad. Kept running into enemy lines. If she wants to die, fine by me.

Yaweee said:
No, she can die and be dead as far as the plot is concerned. Saying 'Ignore her' just leads to the game not giving a Game Over if she dies. She's just dead for good then.

Use naked decoys to draw attention from her.

I tried that but my decoys can't get up to agro range before she's down to barely any health and even then the enemies randomly target her sometimes, gameover.

I needed to go way back anyway. I thought I could change Canopus to a Priest and get him over there to heal her, but didn't realise that nerfed his movement range and I don't have a card to change him back to his default class. My only other save is right before Almorica castle, so pratically the beginning of the game.

How about doing some random battles? I know the enemies in those scale to the party in some fashion but what about the enemies in the scripted battles? I'm looking at what skills I have and nothing stands out to me as potentially helpful, and I don't have a lot of spare SP at this point.

Peff

Die Squirrel Die said:
I tried that but my decoys can't get up to agro range before she's down to barely any health and even then the enemies randomly target her sometimes, gameover.

I needed to go way back anyway. I thought I could change Canopus to a Priest and get him over there to heal her, but didn't realise that nerfed his movement range and I don't have a card to change him back to his default class. My only other save is right before Almorica castle, so pratically the beginning of the game.

How about doing some random battles? I know the enemies in those scale to the party in some fashion but what about the enemies in the scripted battles? I'm looking at what skills I have and nothing stands out to me as potentially helpful, and I don't have a lot of spare SP at this point.

The scripted battles scale as well but only when the level difference is huge. I completed that battle without decoys, but it needs a little bit of luck. If you buy a couple of heal scrolls or a Lobber, a unit with good range place in the leftmost square should be able to reach Cistina with relative ease, and the horn item that changes the weather can help by making ranged attacks fail more, although you still need to get rid of the mage. After that, if you can keep her far from the Dragon it shouldn't be very hard.

Balphon said:
That starts the chaos path, yeah. As for what Vyse does there, it's funny how
depending on what choice you make, he either becomes the "hero" or reveals that he's been barely suppressing psychosis this whole time.

The recruit requirement is 50, but the loyalty quotes go from 41-60 and 61-80, so they're not a great indicator. The loyalty quotes are:

Law:
61-80: This unit often speaks on your behalf to win others to your side.
41-60: More often than not, this unit speaks in support of your decisions.

Neutral:
61-80: This unit looks favorably on your decisions and shares an understanding with you.
41-60: Though not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are.

Chaos:
61-80: This unit is prepared to put aside its own interests in the service of your cause.
41-60: Though not openly discontent, this unit makes no effort to keep counsel with you.

So if your fresh Galgastan has the 41-60 quote, your CF may be high enough. If it has the 61-80 one, it definitely is.
Does it matter which one meets the requirement Law, neutral or Chaos or all of them?

Die Squirrel Die said:

I just finished that battle today. I must have tried it about 10 times. It's half luck and half being prepared. I de-equipped all armor from both Canopus and a Rune Fencer. Between the two of them I was able to finally get to her and follow her around healing her until the end of the fight. A couple times during the fight, it's like one more turn and she probably would have been dead. Total pain in the ass and hope she's worth it later.

Krelian

Yeah, that battle is a pain. As are most battles where you have to save those suicidal units.
I think I tried five times before I got it right. It was a combination of luck (missed shots from archers etc.) and Canopus using healing scrolls on her. Didn't try the naked decoy thing, maybe next time I have to save someone.

Crakatak187 said:
Does it matter which one meets the requirement Law, neutral or Chaos or all of them?

There is only one chaos frame for each clan, only the quote changes based on the unit's alignment. So no, it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom