• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

Cheria was one of my favourite characters next to Hubert and Pascal, actually. And Malik ended up being pretty cool after Chapter 5.

I haven't gotten to
the part where Cheria bitches at Asbel or when Hubert joins the party
in the English version yet, but if them opening up and the VA (especially in the post-battle dialogue) gets better, that's cool. I do sorta wonder if Cheria's still rather flat during battle after that part, though.

It feels like that
Cheria's lines open up in general and, as such, so does her performance. She acts a bit more like herself in the "What else are you hiding from us?" win quote with Pascal (since this happens before those two events you mention). I think it's just Laura Bailey reacting to tsundere lines and getting in character from that though. Still sounds bored as fuck during combat

Toth

Well, I did my part supporting the series XD I have to put this on my backlog though as I am just about to start Mass Effect 3 ><

I still can't believe I am actually holding it in my hands lol

Paches

Seeking boss strategy advice:

I am on the Cedric encounter where I just came up through the hidden entrance through the caves and in to the castle and just beat the Major (one with the lance/spear thing). I am playing on Evil difficulty and switched over once I unlocked it, which I don't even know how, but whatever. The problem I am having with Cedric is his normal damage and attacks are not that big of a deal, sometimes he gets me with a couple attacks in a row on Asbel, but I have enough HP to take some shots and get healed through it. The main problem is when he goes in to EB mode and does his god mode move and virtually one shots whoever he targets, especially Cheria or Sophie. I've been thinking about bringing Pascal back in for Sophie or Richard, I need to look at her skills and see how they line up with his weaknesses, but it still comes down to just getting 1 shotted and ending up in an infinite revive and try to protect the revived person until they get topped off routine and then get 1 shotted again.

I have been grinding title stuff for a while, you get pretty good SP from the royal knights that spawn a lot around the save so there is that. I am around level 29-31 right now.

Datschge

Looked at some stream's recording of the staff roll (yay, more official romanizations) and... aw shit, regarding the closure of NTS and the opening of NBS some veterans indeed seem not to have made the cut. Four were removed from the F arc's thanks section, among them Yasuyuki Sawadaishi who was art director for Graces Wii, all "Team Destiny" games as well as the pre-team games. If I correctly understand the facebook page which appears to be his he moved from the game to the brewerage industry (haha) and has financial difficulties. Bummer. =(

Esura

Banned
It's okay Esura, I find Hubert completely useless.

One thing that is annoying me is how the party is constantly changing and I only like using certain characters. I would like to stay with the team of Asbel, Sophie, Cheria and Pascal thank you.

One thing I must say is I love the interactions between those four characters too.

Sophie - What's an airhead?
Pascal - An airhead is someone who is really smart and controls wind with their mind!
Sophie - Wow, you are so awesome!

suzu

It seems to me like the whole cast is awesome in everything but story scenes (skits, sidequests, victory quotes). In story scenes, most of them are just really boring, Asbel being the worst offender.

I agree! The main story scenes (so far) seem very flat/serious/etc. The skits and victory scenes are pretty great.

I enjoy the interactions between Malik and Sophie.

Meier

I kinda want to rent this next from Gamefly, but after so much time playing FF13-2 and now Mass Effect 3, I'm afraid my fiancee would kill me if I delved into another big RPG. Maybe some day..

http://www23.atwiki.jp/talesofgracesf/pages/65.html

Scroll down until you see &#20837;&#25163;&#22580;&#25152;&#21029;&#27424;&#29255;&#34920;. Most of the later ones are in the Zone Cage, but you obviously need them now.

Thanks, there's a couple that I'm not sure what they translate to. Do you happen to know?

&#12502;&#12524;&#12473;
&#12522;&#12501;&#12457;&#12540;&#12473;
&#12522;&#12532;&#12449;&#12531;&#12503;
&#12522;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12489;

Thanks, there's a couple that I'm not sure what they translate to. Do you happen to know?

&#12502;&#12524;&#12473;
&#12522;&#12501;&#12457;&#12540;&#12473;
&#12522;&#12532;&#12449;&#12531;&#12503;
&#12522;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12489;

Brace (Increases healing magic effect)
Re-force (Increases CC recovery speed)
Revamp (Chance of increasing CC when you dodge)
Re-feed (CC increase when you kill an enemy)

Brace (Increases healing magic effect)
Re-force (Increases CC recovery speed)
Revamp (Chance of increasing CC when you dodge)
Re-feed (CC increase when you kill an enemy)

That explains it, I haven't encountered any of those in game yet :)

It also mentions both &#12487;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473; and &#12487;&#12451;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473; in numerous places. Is one of these a typo and they're both just Defense, or are they different?

I failed to beat
Richard
under sixty seconds... for about one hour of retries and then I finally beat him 59'33. That was such a relief. The worst was when I killed him in 1'01'20 about ten minutes in.

Oh well, onto the desert.

Darackutny

Post main game thoughts:

Wow, that was a long week. I don't know where to start. The game had a lot of potential. I loved the foreshadowing by Aston about his idea to separate his sons in order for them to not fight over his town, and it tragically occurring seven years later. I also appreciated the mystery surrounding what lurked in the Sanctuary as well.

The tragedy of having Asbel exiled from his home town was great for me. I almost felt as if I was playing a new Suikoden spin-off. Richard was on the run as well at the time. It was as if they were literally going to find their castle in Gralesyde and start recruiting the other 106 stars of destiny. Of course, it is obvious that we'd see some sort of alliance between Richard's uncle and Hubert taking place as the story goes into full swing.

However, none of that happened. Instead, everything was justified. Hubert was torn by the actions of his father, realized he shouldn't have held a grudge, and joins you. Sure, I don't mind him being sent off to Strahta to be the reason for his change in character. However, I don't need him to "realize his ways" either. Lambda's actions were justified as well. Being hated for his very existence surely creates some sort of empathy in the eyes of Asbel. But why would I as the audience care for this character? Am I supposed to benefit from his social criticism? Or do I need to believe that he had a justifiable reason for his actions? Malik summed it up well: Would you destroy the world and end humanity if everyone hated you?

Ugh... It was a terrible experience. What a waste of potential.

Oh, and I also hated how all the towns were so small and lifeless. Many of the towns had one house and not enough people NPCs to engage with, but that's a minor criticism compared to the above in my opinion.

I think I'm going to pop in my old copy of FF7 now and live in the past instead. This generation is terrible.

Hmmm been a while since I've played a tales game. What are good AI settings? Does the universal rpg rule of everyone wailing on 1 baddie = success here?

Koroviev

Hmmm been a while since I've played a tales game. What are good AI settings? Does the universal rpg rule of everyone wailing on 1 baddie = success here?

Working for me. Stuck on the first boss, but I was being stupid, I know how to beat it now -_-

Also finished child arc last night :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This game surprised me a bit, I was expecting to main Cheria since I thought she was the main healer but I ended up having Sophie as my main. She is a perfect combination of Combat Fighter and Healer, strong and helpful in need. Damn, now I will be wishing that all the tales healers will be this awesome.

As for the cast, I hate the rotating cast too, but as long as Sophie is in my party I am okay with it since she is the only character I am remotely good at controlling.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seeking boss strategy advice:

I am on the Cedric encounter where I just came up through the hidden entrance through the caves and in to the castle and just beat the Major (one with the lance/spear thing). I am playing on Evil difficulty and switched over once I unlocked it, which I don't even know how, but whatever. The problem I am having with Cedric is his normal damage and attacks are not that big of a deal, sometimes he gets me with a couple attacks in a row on Asbel, but I have enough HP to take some shots and get healed through it. The main problem is when he goes in to EB mode and does his god mode move and virtually one shots whoever he targets, especially Cheria or Sophie. I've been thinking about bringing Pascal back in for Sophie or Richard, I need to look at her skills and see how they line up with his weaknesses, but it still comes down to just getting 1 shotted and ending up in an infinite revive and try to protect the revived person until they get topped off routine and then get 1 shotted again.

I have been grinding title stuff for a while, you get pretty good SP from the royal knights that spawn a lot around the save so there is that. I am around level 29-31 right now.
Maybe you might want to tone down on the difficulty if you're not used to it.
I'd advise keeping Sophie and Richard in because of their skillsets, especially since Richard's moves are anti-human. The most important thing to do is run the hell away from him or backstep away so that he doesn't hit you with his Blast Caliber. Revive after Eleth Break and pound on him. Evade rather than defend, and backstep/around-step is your friend.

cpp_is_king said:
That explains it, I haven't encountered any of those in game yet :)

It also mentions both &#12487;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473; and &#12487;&#12451;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473; in numerous places. Is one of these a typo and they're both just Defense, or are they different?
I've actually seen that in other media, but I've taken both to mean the same thing. From what I hear, one comes from English (&#12487;&#12451;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473;), and the other comes from French (&#12487;&#12501;&#12455;&#12531;&#12473;). I think they do have different meanings in the subtle sense in general (iirc, the French one has more of a medical meaning?), but overall they seem to mean the same thing in the context of the game.

Darackutny said:
The tragedy of having Asbel exiled from his home town was great for me. I almost felt as if I was playing a new Suikoden spin-off. Richard was on the run as well at the time. It was as if they were literally going to find their castle in Gralesyde and start recruiting the other 106 stars of destiny. Of course, it is obvious that we'd see some sort of alliance between Richard's uncle and Hubert taking place as the story goes into full swing.
Ahaha, that's an interesting way of looking at it. tbh, that's kind of how I felt the first time around since the
alliance stuff and feudal lord issues had a lot of potential
. But I kinda know not to expect that sort of thing from Tales after having played a lot, especially Rebirth's horrible narrative. :|

Speaking of Suikoden, the new PSP game--which I've recently just started--is surprisingly good, narrative-wise. Should really get on playing it more and posting impressions in that thread.

And man, if you dislike the towns and NPCs now, wait until you get to Xillia's should that one ever comes out.

I think it's just Laura Bailey reacting to tsundere lines and getting in character from that though. Still sounds bored as fuck during combat[/spoiler].
I have to wonder if battle quotes were recorded first, then.

bubnbob said:
I just did the
Glacial Dungeon / Kurt
, do they "open up" any time past that?
Ehhh... If you don't like them now, I don't know if you ever will.

One thing that is annoying me is how the party is constantly changing and I only like using certain characters. I would like to stay with the team of Asbel, Sophie, Cheria and Pascal thank you.
Esura, which one's your favourite out of the three? I'm a little curious.

And man, if you dislike the towns and NPCs now, wait until you get to Xillia's should that one ever comes out.

But Xillia's towns are far from plain and boring ;_;. Although there are a tiny amount of NPCs you can talk to.

(Yes I will reply to any post talking negatively about Xillia unless it's something I can agree with.)

I imagine for the battle voices, they only recorded one set of them, so they had to use the tone that the characters are first introduced as. Otherwise, it would be confusing to get a less serious Cheria in the beginning of the game only during battles. Of course, this brings the problem of having a serious Cheria in battle for the whole game, but what can you do.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My only complaint about one of the characters:

Asbel is such a weak friendship-u pushover. -_-

Big B

Agreed, the story is really weak and predictable. I had a much better time with phantasia.. or ,maybe it's he nostalgia talking

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But Xillia's towns are far from plain and boring ;_;. Although there are a tiny amount of NPCs you can talk to.

(Yes I will reply to any post talking negatively about Xillia unless it's something I can agree with.)
The designs are great, but the towns don't offer a lot outside of shops and subquests, which related to the poster's criticism of Graces' towns, lol.

I like Xillia, but I'm waiting for that inevitable director's cut!

I imagine for the battle voices, they only recorded one set of them, so they had to use the tone that the characters are first introduced as. Otherwise, it would be confusing to get a less serious Cheria in the beginning of the game only during battles. Of course, this brings the problem of having a serious Cheria in battle for the whole game, but what can you do.
Well, Cheria seems more engaged in battle in the beginning of the JP version, so I guess they used one set in the JP version too.

My only complaint about one of the characters:

Asbel is such a weak friendship-u pushover. -_-
MAMORU. MAMORU. MAMORUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Though I still like Asbel's JP voice more!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Xillia is the world's worst jrpg ever!!! There I said it. Sue me. Rofl

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Xillia is the world's worst jrpg ever!!! There I said it. Sue me. Rofl
I know you don't think that!

You already know that I don't like how some systems were streamlined, and that Milla/Jude had a billion artes with each other while everyone else didn't have a lot. Xillia has no cooking. Booooooo! Everyone just buys take-out food.

kayos90

You already know that I don't like how some systems were streamlined, and that Milla/Jude had a billion artes with each other while everyone else didn't have a lot. Xillia has no cooking. Booooooo! Everyone just buys take-out food.

Rofl I know. I was just joking. I agree with you. Most likely because of that directors cut. Rofl. You changed your avatar!!! Is it time to change mine?

It'll be better once they release the Deluxe edition!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Agreed, the story is really weak and predictable. I had a much better time with phantasia.. or ,maybe it's he nostalgia talking

It's not terrible at least. Sure it's nothing special but it does the job.

I kinda miss console RPGs with plots that are safe and not trying to be something else though. :p

jorgeton

I gotta say, I'm loving this game. Sure it's not the most sophisticated RPG out there, but it's tons of fun and I really enjoy the characters. Plot hits all the usual JRPG beats, but it's still pleasant and provides enough intrigue to keep me going. The game is also really funny. And the battle system is great, it took 20 hours for it to click but once it did... damn.

Did not expect Q1 2012 to be JRPG renaissance season, between this and FFXIII-2. I hope the streak continues and we keep getting great RPGs like these two.

Koroviev

Rofl I know. I was just joking. I agree with you. Most likely because of that directors cut. Rofl. You changed your avatar!!! Is it time to change mine?

No, I didn't even recognize Schala for a few minutes.

OT: Amazon delivers fast, apparently RH had been sitting in the mail box since Saturday ._.

So, after putting in about 40 hours in a week (dear lord what have I done) I think its safe to say that this is a great game.

The story/music are ehhhhhhhhh, but the gameplay is just too damn good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It was high time I changed mine since I'd used the old one for 1/2 of last year, and until yesterday, lol. I don't think it's that much of a change since all three of my avatars (including this one) feature the same character.

Don't change yours yet because I like the colour.

It'll be better once they release the Deluxe edition!
Premium deluxe edition... for PS3 Vita Wii U?

Features:
-New Single (buy the single CD for a costume!)
-New Preorder DLC (other people from Phantasia and ToD? Maybe?)
-Instead of 4 costumes being found in the game, there are 0! DLC ONLY
-New Future Chapter for Jude and Prologue Chapter for Milla
-Need more black feathers
-Leon Magnus costumes for everyone! (DLC only)
-Fate/Zero crossover costumes just because (DLC only)
-Mass Effect 3 costumes for Milla and Jude (DLC only)
-1 new Link Arte per character. There, that's the balance you wanted!
-More Level Up Packs for DLC! Because no one's crazy enough to get those trophies legit, right?

No, I didn't even recognize Schala for a few minutes.
lol, I guess it is a bit of a change, then.

So can I just save over my main game file with the f arc one? Or will I need to make a new save?
Eh, I would make another one just in case you don't feel like you want to do the future arc anymore. It's up to you, really. I made two when I did the f arc just in case.

Vrakanox

Any body elses game freeze really early into the game, the scene where the give sophie her name?

EDIT wow apparently the DLC called Mixophile causes my game to freeze. I tried everything, cleaning disk and restarting system but only after deleting the DLC does the game work again.

Features:
-More Level Up Packs for DLC! Because no one's crazy enough to get those trophies legit, right?

Oh god it hurts why would you do this

Features:
Now you are just giving them ideas. Terrible ideas they'll probably follow.

Truckload of questions about the grade shop. I was using this link as a reference for all grade shop info

1) If I purchase something from the Grade Shop when starting playthrough N, do I need to re-purchase it again when starting playthrough N+1? Or will I retain it since I already purchased it on a previous playthrough?

2) Any unused points that I did not spend in the Grade Shop when starting playthrough N, will they accumulate and add to the amount of grade I have after I beat playthrough N and go to start playthrough N+1?

3) What is "Inherit Mastery Skills"? Does it mean that any titles which I've starred I will keep all progress on those titles on the NG+? Or does it only mean that the mastered equip effect remains? Or something else?

4) What is "Inherit Battle Items"? Is that talking about weapons / equipment / gems?

5) What is "Nature Release"? it says "enables a chance for rank 7 natures to appear when dualizing". Not even sure what a "nature" is in the first place. A gem?

As for grade acquisition:

6) Assuming I'm at the end of the game and have completed the future arc, what is the most time-efficient way of farming additional grade before starting a NG+? Assuming there's an easy way to get a 999 hit combo, it seems like that would be huge, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do that.

I also haven't tried the Zone Cage yet but if it's possible to clear without a substantial amount of effort that also seems quite huge.

kayos90

It was high time I changed mine since I'd used the old one for 1/2 of last year, and until yesterday, lol. I don't think it's that much of a change since all three of my avatars (including this one) feature the same character.

Don't change yours yet because I like the colour.

Features:

k, I won't change it yet. If I do, it'll be another Pandora Hearts character. Did you watch Fate/Zero yet? Good? Bad? Also, someone should put the interview from lat year about what they cut in order to make the deadline for Xillia's release.

- New Single for the dubstep remix version of Progress. This will be DLC in order to change the intro
- New Preorder DLC including the costumes that were in the original version. There is no in-game costumes. Everything is paid DLC.
- New Prologue Chapter of Milla from 50 years ago. rofl
- There are no black feathers since everything is DLC anyway.
- Everyone is voiced by Wakamoto.
- Fate Zero costume for Everyone, Yay!!! (Milla = Saber, Jude = Kiritsugu, Alvin = Lancer, Leia = Sola, Elise = Ilya, Rowen = Kayneth) Alright!!!!
- They removed all of the link artes. they're all dlc.
- Max Level is 200 now.
- the hardest difficulty is now dlc just like Ninja Gaiden 3.

kewlmyc

Features:

Excluding the Mass Effect 3 costumes, I could see all of this happening. Damn you to hell Dark Schala :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
k, I won't change it yet. If I do, it'll be another Pandora Hearts character. Did you watch Fate/Zero yet? Good? Bad? Also, someone should put the interview from lat year about what they cut in order to make the deadline for Xillia's release.

- New Single for the dubstep remix version of Progress. This will be DLC in order to change the intro
- New Preorder DLC including the costumes that were in the original version. There is no in-game costumes. Everything is paid DLC.
- Fate Zero costume for Everyone, Yay!!! (Milla = Saber, Jude = Kiritsugu, Alvin = Lancer, Leia = Sola, Elise = Ilya, Rowen = Kayneth) Alright!!!!
- Max Level is 200 now.

Wait... a dubstep remix of a Tales track? LOL, has the wub-wub finally infested the RPG genre?

Bladenic

So I just cleared the first dungeon in Chapter 7, and I still don't have Hubert's second MA. Is this normal? Does he not obtain his from a story title like everyone else?

Alex

The gameplay is fantastic, great stuff and polished to a shine. The visuals look very nice despite their humble beginings but as my opinion goes as long as you have solid art direction and passable assets image quality can really carry them a long, long way. Wish it was 1080p, though! All these PS2 and up ports and so few are 1080p. Is it really THAT hard to get 1080p on such meek titles? Hm.

Story is typical Tales stuff, it works fine as context but it's nothing special, however the characters are fun and it's a really cute game overall. Liking it a lot.

Hope we get Xillia, I'm not betting on it, but it'd be nice.

- Max Level is 200 now.

This is evil especially the link artes dlc stuff.

Varion

Truckload of questions about the grade shop. I was using this link as a reference for all grade shop info

1) If I purchase something from the Grade Shop when starting playthrough N, do I need to re-purchase it again when starting playthrough N+1? Or will I retain it since I already purchased it on a previous playthrough?

2) Any unused points that I did not spend in the Grade Shop when starting playthrough N, will they accumulate and add to the amount of grade I have after I beat playthrough N and go to start playthrough N+1?

3) What is "Inherit Mastery Skills"? Does it mean that any titles which I've starred I will keep all progress on those titles on the NG+? Or does it only mean that the mastered equip effect remains? Or something else?

4) What is "Inherit Battle Items"? Is that talking about weapons / equipment / gems?

5) What is "Nature Release"? it says "enables a chance for rank 7 natures to appear when dualizing". Not even sure what a "nature" is in the first place. A gem?

As for grade acquisition:

6) Assuming I'm at the end of the game and have completed the future arc, what is the most time-efficient way of farming additional grade before starting a NG+? Assuming there's an easy way to get a 999 hit combo, it seems like that would be huge, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do that.

I also haven't tried the Zone Cage yet but if it's possible to clear without a substantial amount of effort that also seems quite huge.

1. Rebuy.
2. Basically what you'd have for a third playthrough is everything you earned in your first play + everything you earned in your second. So it's technically accumulating but like if you got 50 grade for titles in play 1 and 60 grade for titles (ie you got a few extra) then you'd have the higher 60 grade for your third play, not 110.
3. Basically what that does is inherit every title you have, and how much you've levelled it (5, Master, whatever). Which is why it's so expensive.
4. Battle items are items you can use in battle. Not equipment. Stuff like hourglasses and arcana bottles.
5. They're related to weapon dualising. Like when you beat certain enemies they drop a fragment with a nature attached to it. Then you dualise that effect onto your weapon or armour which increases the weapon's stats by a certain amount permanently (and gives it a +1, +2 etc) and then adds an effect which, say, increases physical attack by +18 or whatever. If you get that from the grade shop it unlocks a bunch of extra ones which're really awesome. Like "Barbatos-like" which raises all the weapon's stats by 15.
6. Title grinding and subquests, really. There's nothing like Tidal Wave spamming on Vesperia here. Also make sure to beat the final boss on the highest difficulty you can. If you've beat the future arc doing the extra dungeon shouldn't be THAT difficult for you. Getting all discoveries gets you an extra fairly easy 100 too.

Top Bottom