• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia is getting really confusing.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This game is beginning to make no sense. I just got upto the part where the Great seed had lost control, just after all the mana links have been severed. At the moment, i am completely lost with the story:(.

Firstly, when lloyd and company set off to tehe'alla, which world was declining? If it was sylvarant that was still declining then why were there monsters present on Tethe'alla?

Secondly, What exactly do the summon spirits do? So many people in the game have said so many things that I just don't know what they do.

Thirdly, Do the mana flows protect the great seed from letting it have too much mana or does it protect the seed from letting it germinate?

Deku Tree

The answers to all your questions will be revealed by the time you finish the game. Those are some of the key plot questions and their answers will be fleshed out as the game progresses.

psycho_snake

ok deku, but can you just answer my first question. I think that was explained a long time ago but I dont know which world is declining:(

Deku Tree

Sylvarant is the declining world. But monsters start appearing in the other world because it is starting to decline because of what the chosen has already done at the temples of the summon spirits in Sylvarant.

psycho_snake

thanks alot, I just need to know something else. When a world begins declining, do the summon spirits of that world become sealed? Also, what did Kratos mean when he said that the summon spirits provide mana to the great seed?

Deku Tree

psycho_snake said:
When a world begins declining, do the summon spirits of that world become sealed? Also, what did Kratos mean when he said that the summon spirits provide mana to the great seed?

No to the first question. For the second question, KEEP PLAYING THE GAME! Seriously, it's like you've read half a book and there is alot of foreshadowing but you can't wait to get to the end of it to learn all the secrets.

psycho_snake

Deku Tree said:
No to the first question. For the second question, KEEP PLAYING THE GAME! Seriously, it's like you've read half a book and there is alot of foreshadowing but you can't wait to get to the end of it to learn all the secrets.
I know Im very impatient, the story is just so gripping that I really wanna find out what happens next, but don't spoil it. I'm just confused again aboutthe summon spirits (Im very sorry). When Colette began regenerating the world, werent the summon spirits sealed up in order for her to awaken them.

Ulairi

Banned
psycho_snake said:
This game is beginning to make no sense. I just got upto the part where the Great seed had lost control, just after all the mana links have been severed. At the moment, i am completely lost with the story:(.

Firstly, when lloyd and company set off to tehe'alla, which world was declining? If it was sylvarant that was still declining then why were there monsters present on Tethe'alla?

Secondly, What exactly do the summon spirits do? So many people in the game have said so many things that I just don't know what they do.

Thirdly, Do the mana flows protect the great seed from letting it have too much mana or does it protect the seed from letting it germinate?

The part about monsters in Tethe'alla is explained that every seal that Collet completed started to hurt the other world. It is the Yingyang thing.

ruffles

About the ending:

What name did Lloyd give the tree? Is it suppose to end like that or is there a better ending?

ruffles said:
About the ending:

What name did Lloyd give the tree? Is it suppose to end like that or is there a better ending?

That's what I wan to know too. Apparently there are eight endings or something.

Scott

ruffles said:
About the ending:

ManDudeChild said:
That's what I wan to know too. Apparently there are eight endings or something.
There is only the one ending, but there are 7-8 variations on it. Basically, the variation you get depends on your affection levels, a few decisions you make (like who you choose to talk to outside in the snow town, for example), stuff like that.

There's a good ending guide at GameFAQs by "Cyllya," that breaks down all the differences between the variations, and how to get them. It's worth checking out. :)

As for the question, the answer is given in Tales of Phantasia:
Lloyd names the tree "Yggdrassil."

I haven't bought the game yet. It's on sale this week at Target only for $34.99. Should i bother getting it now or wait until the price drop even more?

Prospero

Jade Knight 08 said:
I haven't bought the game yet. It's on sale this week at Target only for $34.99. Should i bother getting it now or wait until the price drop even more?

Don't pay more than $30, and only buy it if you like AI handholding in your RPGs. The much-vaunted "battle system" consists of tapping the A button as fast as you can, while the computer allies heal you and cast group attack spells without your help. I gave it twenty hours and got bored to tears.

Also, there's a reason that this thread has several mentions of Shin Megami Tensei in it.

Deku Tree

Prospero said:
Don't pay more than $30, and only buy it if you like AI handholding in your RPGs. The much-vaunted "battle system" consists of tapping the A button as fast as you can, while the computer allies heal you and cast group attack spells without your help. I gave it twenty hours and got bored to tears.

Also, there's a reason that this thread has several mentions of Shin Megami Tensei in it.

It sounds like you never really learned how to use the battle system. If I was tapping the A button the whole time, I wouldn't have played ToS for more than a few hours.

You assign different moves to combinations of the A button plus up, down, left or right on the analogue stick and you can assign other moves to the c stick. You get new moves as you lvl up. You can also press the b button to block. And you can choose between a number of party members so that you can in some situations have a full party in battle without a healer.

Not to mention the variety of moves that can be combined through U.Attack, the special moves, and the new techniques that can't be learnt depending on if you go at T or S. My favorite battle moments in ToS were all when it was one on one battles. Those really, imo, bring out the battle system and strategy.

Prospero

Deku Tree said:
It sounds like you never really learned how to use the battle system. If I was tapping the A button the whole time, I wouldn't have played ToS for more than a few hours.

You assign different moves to combinations of the A button plus up, down, left or right on the analogue stick and you can assign other moves to the c stick. You get new moves as you lvl up. You can also press the b button to block. And you can choose between a number of party members so that you can in some situations have a full party in battle without a healer.

Just exaggerating in my earlier post--I did actually do all that stuff, and still found the game to be boring. "Real-time" RPGs just aren't my bag--I don't enjoy the game unless I can control all of the characters, and I found the story to be needlessly convoluted, and mediocre when it did make sense. But to each his own.

Prospero

ManDudeChild said:
You do realise that you CAN control all the characters, right?

Well, yes, but not to the extent that you can in a turn-based RPG. Whenever you're handling one character, the game's AI is handling all the others, with the exception of the C-stick commands (which are more ornamental than anything else, as the AI is more than capable of handling those tasks on its own).

Top Bottom