• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Whoever designed the fuckers on the last chapter, I question their sanity. These are the worst bosses I've played against EVER in any game.

3Kaze

Finished the game and did the bad/normal/true endings. The story/characters are good, and most of the gameplay mechanics are also better than in Xillia 1. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of recycled content. The debt system is okay and Silent Ludger was really weird but didn't bother me that much in the end.

I have a few questions about the plot.
What is really the Key of Kresnick? Is it the capacity to switch between worlds? I know Bisley's wife was the real world's key and Elle is the parallel world's key. I also don't get the whole Kresnick tribe. Is Bisley a Kresnick? I guess he is, considering he can use the Corpse Shell. And are Julius and Ludger Bisley's sons? And finally, I'd like to know what are the Time Factors. They said in chapter 12 that a Time Factor is the Corpse Shell's limit, so why are there random Time Factors when the guys can't even use Corpse Shell?

I guess I'll try to get the platinum trophy now. Is it doable on a first playthrough?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got this in with my monthly amiami shipment

(ヽ´ω`) Feel so LTTP already, but unfortunately SRW came in the same shipment so I probably won't start this for at least another month

Are the swimsuits available on psn yet?

I just watched the complete Hi-ougi exhibition.

I REGRET NOTHING!

They are amazing! Best looking ones in the whole series.

i've been spoiled by the youtube screen preview thing ...i didn't even click on the video but there a big picture of 2 characters on it ( it's a spoiler from my point of view ) and youtube put it in front of my face EVERYTIME i log-in because it knows that i love "tales of" related stuff...

So sad to be a tales fans sometimes.

So I'm currently doing a play through of all the localised mother ship Tales titles and I only have Symphonia to go. Why is Tales of Xilia 2 considered part of the main series but Symphonia 2 is given spinoff status?

So I'm currently doing a play through of all the localised mother ship Tales titles and I only have Symphonia to go. Why is Tales of Xilia 2 considered part of the main series but Symphonia 2 is given spinoff status?
Xillia 2 is like the missing parts from xillia 1.

Also sales..

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Back to the grind in this game.

I can't remember half of the stuff I did in this game outside of knowing I did a few quests and that I'm at the end of a chapter. I think I was trying to learn some of the new characters. Ugh, I hate when that happens. >_<

I'll figure it out. I think I needed a break from this game since apparently I was being too negative towards it? Whatever.

InternHertz said:
147:53, Platinum get.
It really took 3 playthroughs? Ugh...

Blech.

FSLink

Banned
So the Madoka costumes are only up on the store until January right? Are there any other costumes with a time limit?

Rpgmonkey

Finished the game with the normal and 'good' endings last night. Took 76 hours but I did do all the character events, most of the quests and loads of titles and did everything on hard. Which generally wasn't quite that bad, but a certain boss early on was hellish.
Yes, Volt, you.
Generally really liked the game overall though (and the final boss is my favourite in a Tales game, much as the fight before it was awful
because of infinite time stop and random healing, but the section after you beat Bisley the first time when you get the ultimate shell and that awesome arrange of the OP kicks in, followed by the actual final battle ending with a special hiougi is just too good)
, but probably not quite as much as the original overall.

Spoilers for both the normal and true endings:
Feel like the only one but I hated both of the endings though. It's been a fair while since a game ending's left me feeling quite so empty. The normal one (which I got first) is just utterly miserable, which while it fits with the rest of the game at least made me hope the 'good' end wouldn't be. But that is too. Considering everything they'd been through I though the least I could hope for was Ludger and Elle getting to be happy together, but apparently even that was too much to hope for.

What makes it even worse is Origin though, considering how utterly twisted the whole thing was I was looking forward to sticking a lance through his face, and yet somehow he ends up getting portrayed like a nice guy of all things. Despite Ludger having to sacrifice himself and practically have to wish for mass genocide (you can't spend the game letting us get attached to alternate Mira, Elle who herself is from another world, etc and brush off making the whole lot vanish) in order to clean up Origin's mess and save one little girl who'd done nothing wrong, and all he has to say is pretty much 'Yeah I like people, guess you'll have to keep proving yourself to me :)'. And everyone's fine with that. Really? I ended up feeling sympathetic towards Bisley, much as I hated what he did using Elle it was amazing how little anyone else seemed bothered by what all the Crusniks had to go through (you've collected them all? Congratulations, now go kill someone, just because.) because of how the whole thing was set up. Ludger just didn't get a break, not one.

Bad end I'll have to get for the trophy but it's being scene skipped and the fight done on easy. Don't even want to see that thank you very much. Hate it when there's rewards for seeing bad ends unless they're directly plot relevent or something, which this one isn't.

Jumping back into this thread much, much later, I kind of agree. It kind of sours the experience relative to what they had to put up with.

That said,
I sort of like the normal ending, and I like it a lot more than the "good" ending to be honest, because it implies that everything will eventually restart, in a way. While the other Elle is gone, Ludger meets Ral and will eventually have Elle with her, and even though Elle won't have those memories and it won't quite be the same as a result, at least she and Ludger can both exist and develop a father-daughter relationship. It'd be even better if Ral doesn't get deathly ill in the real world. I thought it presented the best possible future for Ludger's family compared to the good and bad endings, even if you have to basically kill off a child to achieve it.

Hey gaf ..look at what i've got in the mail :
20130103_211407.jpg
this fig is quite beautifull . fitting to be in my private collection !

Anyway about xillia 2 i've just reached chapter 10 ( i guess i've been busy ) and i have this feelign they're starting to reveal things ( or they're about to ) mila dialog in chapter 9 & 10 is very different from what the "other" might have said but hey i guess they do have different perspectives.

i'm actually having fun with muse!! and gaius is so cool to use ! Muse attitude in the main chapter and in the sub chapter is veryintresting , like a kid unleashed upon the earth without care .. she is a nice character ..but i haven't seen good combo possibilities with her yet .

the ludger, muse , gaius finish skit is incredible !!

Tales_of_xillia%202_1.png

Even the conductor can't do a thing when muse want to play !!
Yes muse is treating rowen like a kitten in the above picture .

This game could have used a better way to do quests i do like that they put a icon in the quick travel to show you once they are complete but some giganto monster ( 2 of them actually appear at random !?!? in different places ?) thanks but no thanks ... please don't do that anymore tales of team.. i don't care that this monster is overoverpowered compared to my current team ..let me find him and fight him if i want ...!

Tales_of_xillia%202_2.png

Screenshot taken during christmas season

on the subject of costumes i do like muse costume but why is "fatalize" so random to trigger ? i do like teh fact that i can use my dlc from xillia 1 in the second game but i don't like that there doesn't seem to have any costume to unlock so far except xillia 1 costumes and alts ... can't you provide some "normal" or everyday clothes to obtain in this game ?

That Milla was pretty expensive from what I saw. Same with the Jude and Yuri figure.

indeed she was ..and she got delayed 4 times !!! ( i paid for this one in march 2012 ..can you imagine how long that waiting was ? )

but the details of the fig ( the hair being a prime example ) make it all wroth it ...

i've just finished chapter 10.

So ... When Two
identical things exist in the same reality the alternate version is deleted ? that's harsh ... Mila ;-;
can't wait to see how they will deal with this issue in the story ..

The thunder temple dongeon was really cool .. the music and setting was very nice and that impression was reinforced by the boss at the end ..not that it was hard but the story got a level up in quality there ( and no i'm not talking about elle being afraid of thunder )

Ill fan is now available ..it's still a beautifull place but it's kinda weird that nothing has changed when they lost their ruler ... ( 2 years ?? ) i guess gaius and rowen are doing an awesome job.

I did musee first character chapter ... it was nothing special untill the end ... congrats "tales of team" you've caught me off guard ..i wasn't expecting this ... i stayed silent ... it was the right thing to do right ?

Muse and gaius are really good ... gaius attitude is spot-on ...and muse attitude is just like a kitten or maybe a child wanting attention while still keeping a "noble attitude" ..very funny to watch..

The game is really delivering in term of fanservice ....

Stuart444

So I've just finished Chapter 12...

FANTASTIC Chapter, the story itself is great
poor Elle :( the crying at the same ;_;
and I loved the boss fight,
The First Corpse Shell Hi-ougi caught me off guard killing 3 of my party members, Thank you Milla for saving me XD.

Tales of Xillia 2 has been fantastic throughout for me. My plan at the end will be going for the bad end first then the other endings you can get
which I hear is at chapter 15 where you make the choices for it

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sheesh, it's like he takes Tipo everywhere. :lol

I think I'm coming back to this in the summer. Just to get all of the Xillia maps out of my system, and to stop thinking that this is repetitive or that I keep thinking that I've been going through the same maps I have been through before.

It's too bad, really.

Cool. What publication do you work for that it's going up for?

I'm a San Francisco-based freelancer. I was initially going to write for Machinima's editorial site, Inside Gaming Daily, though my EIC said he would just handle the write up, so I'm off the hook. It's fine since I'm also writing the review of Ni No Kuni for Rev3Games, which you might know has Adam Sessler as its editor in chief.

I saw colleagues from 1up, Wired, IGN, @gamer, Destructoid, Joystiq, etc. So expect some Namco news from most of those sites next week.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I assume some sort of new related to Xillia next week. Considering Ni no Kuni comes out next week I thought they would wait a bit but I guess I'm not entirely surprised if this is the case.

Just finished chapter 11 .

i'm soo glad i haven't watched many movies of xillia 2 before release .i remembered part of the final encounter of this chapter ..but i knew something was "off" my spoiler radar screamed "danger" and i stopped the video..now i'm glad that i did because that was freaking awesome to see everything unfold properly ...

After the end of chapter 9 it's like the game went " now it's time to get awesome" and went crazy with that idea.

You might all be wondering why i'm taking so long to play those chapters ..first i haven't played in a while ( IRL problems ) and second i'm doing plenty of quests ..it's annoying that i have killed almost all the gigantos monsters that i have appeared and still have a freaking 18 million debt left. Same with the quests!! what do you want me to do , game ? a 20 million debt is too much. i never want to be in debt IRL because of this game!

Chapter 10 was great ( i had lot of fun with it ) but chapter 11 ? Crazy awesome ..excellent in term of narrative.
First
The ship

The ship is yet another reused location from xilia 1 but this time with a new twist that make it much intresting i was in explored territory but i couldn't relax since i had citizen to save and a nice timer that didn't stop when i when into the menu nor during battles .. quite a good idea to spice things up. i still ended getting everything in 19 minutes so i guess 30 was more than enough.

Second
Arc noir
Marco ..well.. i guess i shouldn't expect much from a character that
walk on cat tails even if they are tiny
. Seriously ? it's like he did it on purpose !
it baffles me after all the events of xillia 1 that they are still active . i would have expected a rowen/gaius/alvin team to have hunted them down to oblivion but i guess with their ressources doing this stuff in less than 2 years wasn't enough.

Third
The drama was pretty much spot-on From Alt.mila realising that
she may have kill jude dad in her universe to "Elle" parts that indicated the profond bond between the 2 characters validating the rejection she did in the after finale
. Seriously it was pretty much exceptionnal on that aspect.
The Nova phone call was also a pretty nice touch with her incredible genki attitude.i didn't hesitate and answered "someone important to me has..." to really kill the mood because IMO this was the way to act in the current circumstances.

Trully this chapter 11 was pretty much incredible.

3Kaze

End game spoilers
I was lurking on the Tales Forum and it looks like some guide confirms that Bisley is the father of both Julius and Ludger. He banged two remaining sisters from the Kresnik family. And if he can use Corpse Shell, he is also a Kresnik... which means there's some incest going on. Mind blown.

Jubern

Was there any doubt about any of that? It was pretty obvious and actually felt refreshing to me that the game didn't screamed it in your face with some grand revelation scene ahah.

Shouta

Finally got off my ass and finished the game. Got all the endings thanks to Poker minigame.

Overall, I liked the game, even more so than the first ToX. It's not without issues here and there but I think it generally improves on most fronts. It also manages to tie-up all the real big story threads that you kind of were left with in a fairly nice way. The two games put together are definitely the best story Tales has and the characters are extremely good maybe even the best in the overall sense.

The real endings could've been a lot more comprehensive, I think. It could've given the game more finality but I guess that'd basically put a period on the game and they might not want to.

Of the endings
The normal ending is probably the more feel good to the viewer. As it shows a bit more hope, in the conventional sense. The true ending is the one that is the "right" choice. It also reinforces the game's theme pretty well and meshes with the story pretty nicely on that front.

The special endings were pretty wild though and a lot of fun. It'd be nice if I saw more of those in tales games just because it'd be interesting.

Just finished chapter 12,13 and currently in the middle of chapter 14 ....

Waouh ... MUCH MUCH BETTER
The alternate world in chapter 12 was a nice diversion and the reveal were all the more intresting. i plan some delicious betrayal next but i don't have energy left in my dualsock so it's charging ATM..

45 hours so far .... loving it ..
The debt part was solved in a way i couldn't have expected.
It's somewhat ridiculous But it does feel great ...
Elise backstory ( 3rd part ) wasn't that great what a horrible naivety ! what's more is rowen that choose to let elise experience by herself the world of adult politics.

Gaius 3rd side story set - up some damn fine events .... i want to see more.

Alvin side story with the ring was "perfect" perfect i tell you.

Jude 4th side story was "unexpected".

CHAPTER 13 final fight was freaking glorious ... WHY THE HELL DID i wait for playing more ?

Now i know where to hide something if i don't want anyone to find it

After yet another hiatus , i finally completed this game.
It took me longer than i expected because i'm a completionnist and i like to play at my own pace ..but also because i was tired of the same locales as xillia 1 ( that i know by heart by now ) , not to mention the alternate version of the SAME FIELDS ..

This need to be said because that's the main flaw of xilia 2 ( aside from ludger voice )
I get it that only few thing would have changed in 2 years between Xillia 1 & Xillia 2 but 95% of the maps are the same.. the new maps they added are cool ( and you love them even more since they are "new" ) but we have so few of them.

And it's a shame because the story , starts quite fun get into gears and stops... or at least that's the impression you get since we are limited by this absurd debt system where our only reward is to be able to explore zones we already know from the previous game. The game does try to give you quests in order to make you busy and forget about the horrible padding but it doesn't work because at times all you care is to see more of the story.

Tales_of_xillia2_01.png

Muse is back ! and ...her character stories are quite ridiculous.... they feel flat

I trully loved seeing more of the cast after 2 years even if it was at the cost of the great character devellopping they got in xillia 1 . AT some point , they feel like they have reverted. Alvin & Elise are guilty of this..Rowen too.

Still those were nice stories , the drama was forced at times ..... but it was tolerable.

Now ludger and "Elle".
Ludger wasn't a bad protagonist ..it's just baffling how he doesn't talk..There is total disconnect when all he does it use his head and some simple sounds ..a total waste of character. The end of chapter 15 was totally wasted by such a decision.
"Elle" started quite badly but get better the more time you pass with her. her anger at milla was understandable given the circustances and she wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She trully felt like a compagnion ( unlike ludger ) in the end (true end ), i enjoyed her attitude...it was well done.
It was also a nice move to allow Xillia 1 dlc to be compatible.

Final dongeon was short and did his job. I rather have those places than the long dongeons the tales of series usually have. i welcome that idea.

Despite the fields and ludger voice, the game trully felt like a game that was enjoyable.
The entire cast was awesome. Both in their attitude than in battle and the battle themselves were cool ( even if again there was a lot of recycling ).

I must admit that i enjoyed having choices during my skits , i enjoyed having choices even if there was just a mean to get some extra scenes & items. True end was sad but answered the question the game ask.

Xillia 2 in the end was a fun game and a solid entry.
8/10

Tales_of_xillia2_02.png

Impressive cast.

Now spoiler time.
The reason the score is still high despite me taking time to finish this game that was
when the story was working , it worked well. The whole deal chronos/maxwell /origin was an angle i wasn't expecting. The repercussion of the alternate world on the thing taken back was also a great touch . The entire reveal on "elle" father was also beautifull.
Gaius side stories, alvin side stories ( brofist ) were excellent.
The tears at the end of the true end when ludger sacrifice his life and the departure of musee and mila left a mark. Sure it was implied that they all are working full time to fullfill their duties( i'm talking about the human side ) but still it left a mark.

Stand alone this game lose his impact if you haven't played xillia 1.
IF you did , you'd realise this is an excellent sequel , giving you more than what you expected in xillia 1. For those reasons i'm satisfied.

Now to do the arena ending.

Bladenic

For those that MAY be interested, this game is only $31.90 this week on Play-Asia.

I'm ordering. I haven't played Xillia obviously, and I'm gonna try to hold this game off until I finish Xillia (harder said than done). But then I'm not playing Xillia for the story (it's been 2 freaking years since it was out in Japan, no way I was gonna stay spoiler free that long). And this is probably the cheapest the game will ever be to import, and considering the possibility it won't be localized (and even if it does, it's a ways off yet) I don't feel bad for importing right now.

Oh yeah, I ordered that too. Probably the cheapest Asian edition I'll see for some time and better to just have it.

Definitely won't start that anytime soon but I'll look forward to glorious Sugita and Sawashiro voices and when I'm not completely sick of the maps in Xillia 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely won't start that anytime soon but I'll look forward to glorious Sugita and Sawashiro voices and when I'm not completely sick of the maps in Xillia 1.
Yes; for the love of pancakes do not do what I did before starting Xillia 2. It kinda ruined my experience with it and was a major component in the decision to drop the game for a while.

...I should finish this off, but I'm trying to finish Ni no Kuni off first.

Oh yeah, I ordered that too. Probably the cheapest Asian edition I'll see for some time and better to just have it.

The quest system in xillia 2 doesn't help if you don't want to feel this way.

I took breaks but i was able to enjoy the game in the end.

Shouta

As long as you aren't trying to do a ton of stuff in either game, getting sick of the maps isn't that big of a deal. =P

3Kaze

Yeah, you can even use the dash boots and clear the maps quickly in TOX2. But it still annoyed me because I had to find every random loots and treasure chests to get the titles/grades and trophies. So I know what Dark Schala went through lolz.

As long as you aren't trying to do a ton of stuff in either game, getting sick of the maps isn't that big of a deal. =P

i was actually trying to do everything ( the most i could ) without a faq.

So yeah ...

I did plat Xillia 1 after all , so seeing xillia 2 was a little too much.

Bladenic

So I got this today, already played 10 hours (dat Tales addictive combat). Yeah I haven't played Xillia, but I just couldn't wait considering how Tales starved they've kept us NA players. Plus I've spoiled myself on most of Xillia anyway, I don't really care about the story. I am however worried about the gameplay and environments, but I'll deal with that when Xillia finally comes out.

Anyway, impressions up to before chapter 6:

-The silent protagonist thing is awkward as hell. Like terribly so. Horrible decision.
-I'm sad Julius isn't playable, I LOVE his design.
-Ludger is fun to play as, however I HATE the dual pistols. Weak, clunky, and SLOW. Never would have thought a big ass hammer would be faster to move with than small pistols.
-I like the link system and artes.
-Fixed party is weird. Or at least, only changing members in town is dumb and weird.
-I really need to look up a strategy menu translation, Elise needs to stop running up to the damn enemy when she has plenty of TP left. Reminds me of Estelle.
-Playing on hard, the boss during the Alvin/Elise chapter was INSANE. Super cheap. Had to go to moderate and still barely won, I hate that the flunkies would appear immediately after being killed halfway through the fight. Kurt all over again.
-based on videos of Xillia, Jude has been nerfed like crazy. So slow. He's still really fun to use though.
-And the award for worst gameplay mechanic/interruption has to go to Nova and the debt system. Why anyone ever thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
-Really liked the fact that the violence was amped up. No longer is it mostly awkward or lol worthy.

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Really hoping playing this doesn't ruin Xillia for me (it probably will).

dual pistol are weak only at the start of the game. once you get better pistol and better artes , you'll revise your opinions .

There are plenty of good things to do with the pistol , especially once you find how to launch in the air with them. :)

Fixed party shoudln't have been there . i get that they couldn't provide change during the battle ( not enough memory ) but it should have been available in the menus.

Jude was nerfed .but it's still quite broken with the right tools, xillia 1 jude was quite a god with the speed, the sidestep and the artes cancel

Nova ...well nova.... ***sigh*** my problem isn't nova , but the freaking debt system in place

Bladenic

Chapter 7 was sooo long. Also I can't tell if I'm sucking or if this game is really hard on Hard. Had to turn the difficulty down to NORMAL (yuck) for
Chronos
and to Moderate for Musee, but I beat the last boss of the chapter on Hard though I went into Corpse Shell 3 times. Some of the bosses seem insanely cheap. The boss from Alvin and Elise's chapter was crazy cheap, and then comes chapter 7's boss with his quad magic spamming. Ugh.

I know this is non news to Xillia 1 players, but OMG Milla is soooooo fun to play as. Love her so far. Also Asbel's costume looks great on her, certainly better than it did on Asbel.

Dark Schala if you happen to read this did you ever finish it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not yet. I was planning on getting to it after I finished Ni No Kuni, and I finished Ni no Kuni a few days ago. I'll start playing it along with you if you'd like since you're around where I stopped. I'll just go at a slower pace since I'm playing Saints Row 3 with someone and I'm going through the Uncharted games right now.

The game is more difficult than the first, yep, so don't feel bad that you aren't doing as well. I like it this way, though, because the first game became so damn easy since everyone was broken. Like R_thanatos said, when you get better pistols they become more interesting to use. Especially since you can use them to boost levels again in this game.

With respect to the fixed party, I honestly think I disliked it the most. In Xillia 1, you can switch people in and out of your party in battle, which helps out a ton while you're doing a bunch of Link Chains. And I'm glad you're seeing the problems with the debt system. Padding for the sake of padding, because iirc, the base game itself is short.

Milla was definitely one of the first magic knight characters I genuinely came to adore using. She's that archetype done right. I suspect you know how to charge her spells and stuff, right? Equipping skills makes her even better.

Torraz

1. How do I get the "wood badge" I need to accept a certain quest in chapter 2? On a wiki I saw I needed a certain amount of points. Where do I see how many points I have, and when I reach that amount of points where can I pick up the badge?

2. How do I get Nova to stop bugging me after LITERALLY every single ************ battle regarding the debt repayment when I have already paid the total sum? The "remaining" # went back to 5.000, even though the total amount was the first sum - 5000.

3Kaze

1. How do I get the "wood badge" I need to accept a certain quest in chapter 2? On a wiki I saw I needed a certain amount of points. Where do I see how many points I have, and when I reach that amount of points where can I pick up the badge?

2. How do I get Nova to stop bugging me after LITERALLY every single ************ battle regarding the debt repayment when I have already paid the total sum? The "remaining" # went back to 5.000, even though the total amount was the first sum - 5000.

1. At the top left corner when you take your quest. You don't have to pick it, it's like a title/rank.

2. You can't. If you exceed twice the amount of money you have to pay (iirc), she will harass you.

For the second question , paying the debt only allow you passage to the next area/chapter.
You can replay the same amount you did and you'll receive item ( semi rare ) in your mailbox in your appartment , this range from special books teaching skills to love potions and other rare stuff , you can try to aim for those rewards now or you can decide to tackle the debt trully later ( in another playthrough ) , it's almost impossible to pay the debt if you're not in new game plus anyway.

Top Bottom