• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I have totally lost track of this series since playing Tales of Symphonia... where is the best place to jump in on this series?

Labadal

I have totally lost track of this series since playing Tales of Symphonia... where is the best place to jump in on this series?

Personal recommendation would be Tales of Vesperia on Xbox 360. It was my overall favourite Tales of game. Tales of Graces f has better combat and crafting, but has a story and soundtrack that are not that good. (Story is decent at times.) Imo, the characters in Vesperia are more likeable, but that is a very subjective part of the game, I guess. If you have a 3DS, the Tales of Abyss port could be worth checking out.

Suck it, Nova.

http://i.imgur.com/yaLSD.png

Finished off the bonus dungeon, did the arena cameo. I guess this one is a wrap. I really hated the first half of the game when you were bogged down with short chapters, re-exploring Liese Maxima, and the debt stuff was a little more intrusive. I feel like the game picked up a ton around chapter 9 and really became a blast to play until the end.
o_O

Congratulations !

Blue Sefira & 50% exp/gald food on all the EX Gigants & bonus dungeon bosses. Switch to 80% gald food once you feel you are comfortably leveled up. I didn't have to specifically farm gald at all. With all that the bonus dungeon final boss gave me like 6.2 million alone.

thanks for the tip *...what level are you ?

Woah the Bad End boss was challenging ^^; I ended up running and guarding until I was able to transform and then rush it, over and over again until I won, it took 6 minutes.
I love the music during the short time before the boss, it's so good and fits the mood.

I got the system trophy (silver) that, at this time, no one really knows how it's obtained, 優しき骸殻抑制者. I'm glad I got it, it would have been a pain in the ass to figure out how to get it. It's one less thing to worry about :D

I bought the Madoka costumes and Kyubei attachment because they're time-limited.

kiryogi

Banned
Woah the Bad End boss was challenging ^^; I ended up running and guarding until I was able to transform and then rush it, over and over again until I won, it took 6 minutes.
I love the music during the short time before the boss, it's so good and fits the mood.

I got the system trophy (silver) that, at this time, no one really knows how it's obtained, 優しき骸殻抑制者. I'm glad I got it, it would have been a pain in the ass to figure out how to get it. It's one less thing to worry about :D

I bought the Madoka costumes and Kyubei attachment because they're time-limited.

lol yeah, I caved in on the Madoka stuff when I saw that it's only avail until January :O

That said, I still have 1600y left for the Tales costumes next week.

I also got 2100yen left in my wallet but for now I'll be sitting on it until I see something worthwhile.
I still plan on getting everything, and not only on this title, once I have a lot more money so for now I'm limiting myself to what will disappear if I wait too long.

So, after the Bad End I could go back before the choice so I went into the other route...damn the movie at the end of the chapter was so good but also so ;_;
And now I have 7 Character Episodes before going into Chapter 15, but that's going to have to wait for a few hours. Need a bit of time to let the events sink ;)

question is there a special music in battle when you have madoka costumes ? or does some moves have different voices ( like with star driver costumes in xillia 1 ) ?

Mieu

I havent played for two days!!! I don't know what's happening!!! Wait, only a few cameo costumes right? Dymlos, Ruca, and Sheena? Nothing more, nothing less?

I entered then exited the final dungeon, got some quests and an extra episode I haven't done yet.
I have ~4300 Grade as of now, got all cats and completed the cat search, I only need 150k points to get the Master Medal, and only 12.8 million to go for the debt (amassed 3 million in quests alone).

Oh and Thank You game for not explaining to me that the quest I just took would not let me choose if I want to fight the boss after speaking to the character I need to...got myself locked into a boss fight against a level 95 boss who has 14k atk power >_< So, yeah I could only load a previous save file, so I lost 20 minutes, but more importantly I lost a title I got =( The good thing is I only need to do what's required of me one more time to get it, but it's still an annoyance.

kiryogi

Banned
question is there a special music in battle when you have madoka costumes ? or does some moves have different voices ( like with star driver costumes in xillia 1 ) ?

Haven't noticed moves yet as I havent bothered switching to Leia or Elise. Oh and no music D: BUT they do say different victory lines. So far all I've gotten tho is Leia saying that "I'm not scared anymore" :D :D :D

Sagitario

I haven't checked this thread in a while because I don't want to spoil Xillia 1 more than I have done already, so I will ask: what's the consensus about Xillia 2 and how is the battle system?

Vesperia on 360 or Graces f on PS3.

I wouldn't recommend Graces as someone's first Tales.
Definitely Vesperia or Abyss on 3DS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just sent this to kayos but I figured I'd share it here. Remember how you could have comboed the Gentleman enemies into oblivion in the last game?

Same shit, different game, different dude.

Not as bad as SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! or (Milla spell spoilers for X1 and X2)
SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH
but hahaha oh wow. From the combo vids I've seen it's specific to Ludger's guns.

jae said:
Blue Sefira & 50% exp/gald food on all the EX Gigants & bonus dungeon bosses. Switch to 80% gald food once you feel you are comfortably leveled up. I didn't have to specifically farm gald at all. With all that the bonus dungeon final boss gave me like 6.2 million alone.
Nice! Glad to hear it gets easier.

I haven't checked this thread in a while because I don't want to spoil Xillia 1 more than I have done already, so I will ask: what's the consensus about Xillia 2 and how is the battle system?
Briefly, it feels better but has its share of issues.

I don't want to make super-final judgements on the thing until I've maxed everyone out and played with them for a few hours.

kiryogi

Banned
I just sent this to kayos but I figured I'd share it here. Remember how you could have comboed the Gentleman enemies into oblivion in the last game?

Not as bad as SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! or (Milla spell spoilers for X1 and X2)
but hahaha oh wow. From the combo vids I've seen it's specific to Ludger's guns.

I'm disappointed that wasn't Nore

kiryogi

Banned
xilliamadoka.png

ENTROPY

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Briefly, it feels better but has its share of issues.

I don't want to make super-final judgements on the thing until I've maxed everyone out and played with them for a few hours.

That video was such bullshit. lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That video was such bullshit. lol.
Not as bullshit as this video. :p

jK7GN.gif
Unlimited Bullets
WM8gf.gif

Sagitario said:
Let me know when you do. I am looking forward to it.
Well, for one... I really like using Gaius. I didn't think I would because I don't go for slower characters at all, but his sword reach makes up for his slower slashes. And his artes, even though they aren't cost-effective, are really nice. I'd like to equip him with a Risky Ring or something and see what damage he can do in the future.

I haven't started experimenting with Musee a lot yet.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not as bullshit as this video. :p

jK7GN.gif
Unlimited Bullets
WM8gf.gif

Well, for one... I really like using Gaius. I didn't think I would because I don't go for slower characters at all, but his sword reach makes up for his slower slashes. And his artes, even though they aren't cost-effective, are really nice. I'd like to equip him with a Risky Ring or something and see what damage he can do in the future.

I haven't started experimenting with Musee a lot yet.

Wow.... WOW.......

Torraz

Wohoo, Xillia 2 get. Guess what shipment option I'm not picking again anytime soon :|.

Now to create that tales account so I can get my preorder DLC.

Torraz

So my Asian version only included a code with the following format: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. This kinda looks like the normal PSN code format, but I was unable to use it on the JP store. I don't think this code fits the format of the tales channel as that one has four slots to input characters.

Does that mean I need an Asian region PSN account? If so, from which countries can I choose?

Decided to at least kill the final boss, the
true
ending was so (do not read if not already seen)
bittersweet ;_; May you rest in peace Ludger! and older Elle/Lulu+ young Kolulu was so cool to see
In an hour or two I'm going to get the other ending, it's free Grade and Gald ^^

I tried Ludger's voice on a NG+ to see what's up with that, and it's really weird, he's still mute but speaks your choices o_O

Got every character at full Absorber capacity, got my Master Medal and 10.8 million to go for the debt.

Once I beat the final boss for a second time it's going to be time for Grade farming. I almost need the full 10k to get everything I want in the end but I may leave some for farming in NG+ and only get the minimum necessary first. I still have to plan this out first before rushing forward.

Mieu

So my Asian version only included a code with the following format: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. This kinda looks like the normal PSN code format, but I was unable to use it on the JP store. I don't think this code fits the format of the tales channel as that one has four slots to input characters.

Does that mean I need an Asian region PSN account? If so, from which countries can I choose?

Yep, I think it says using the PSN stores from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore in the leaflet. I have the same copy. Does it have a sticker that covers the rating?

But anyway, a hong kong account should allow you to use it.

Lulu... I hope he has a shell corpse transformation hehehe

Torraz

Try the Hong Kong store.

Edit: Oh right, I LOVE the screenshot feature. :eek:

Yep, I think it says using the PSN stores from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore in the leaflet. I have the same copy. Does it have a sticker that covers the rating?

But anyway, a hong kong account should allow you to use it.

Lulu... I hope he has a shell corpse transformation hehehe

Thanks, that worked.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Decided to at least kill the final boss, the
true
ending was so (do not read if not already seen)
bittersweet ;_; May you rest in peace Ludger! and older Elle/Lulu+ young Kolulu was so cool to see
In an hour or two I'm going to get the other ending, it's free Grade and Gald ^^

I tried Ludger's voice on a NG+ to see what's up with that, and it's really weird, he's still mute but speaks your choices o_O

Got every character at full Absorber capacity, got my Master Medal and 10.8 million to go for the debt.

Once I beat the final boss for a second time it's going to be time for Grade farming. I almost need the full 10k to get everything I want in the end but I may leave some for farming in NG+ and only get the minimum necessary first. I still have to plan this out first before rushing forward.

I think that might actually be the normal ending. Oh wait, nm... the other one is.
I like the one where
Ludger is president and meets Elle's mom/his future wife at the end.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The normal ending ;-;

;-;

;-;

President Ludger is pretty boss though.

I really enjoyed this game. Best Tales game this generation for me... really the best entire package as a whole despite all the reused assets from the first game. I never finished Xillia but I had a hard time putting Xillia 2 down for the most part.

I'll write some more impressions later, but my clear time for one of the main endings + all the character episodes was 30 hours.

Lots of unlocks at the end too, nice. Vincent's outfit get.

I'll write some more impressions later, but my clear time for one of the main endings + all the character episodes was 30 hours.

Saw the second ending, the normal one, and it was also really good!
However my clear time for the first main ending was more than double yours, 66 hours. I'm still faaaaaar from done though so the total playtime will be quite higher. After all the title farming I'll still need to ng+ and ng++ the game to get all weapons and some optional bosses.

I listed which titles I still need, and it adds up to 128 more titles to get. 20 System, 77 Battle and 31 Battle Challenge. A lot of them are either link time or mindless grinding/button mashing but there are still a bunch I have to work for. All in all, it'll mostly just take time or abusing the battle system.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw the second ending, the normal one, and it was also really good!
However my clear time for the first main ending was more than double yours, 66 hours. I'm still faaaaaar from done though so the total playtime will be quite higher. After all the title farming I'll still need to ng+ and ng++ the game to get all weapons and some optional bosses.

I listed which titles I still need, and it adds up to 128 more titles to get. 20 System, 77 Battle and 31 Battle Challenge. A lot of them are either link time or mindless grinding/button mashing but there are still a bunch I have to work for. All in all, it'll mostly just take time or abusing the battle system.

I only did a handful of the normal quests during my initial playthrough as I wanted to see the rest of the story.

Mieu

I guess, I'll have to wait until someone posts the trophy guide. And then I;ll send the person some.... LOVE!!! LOL

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pretty much. It's the same thing as Xillia 1's. So, not in a hurry to platinum it.

I wanna try to abuse the system to get lots of hits today. Looks like you need a bird, two guns, and 1-damage with Ludger. While Tales battle systems can be easily exploited often, I'm a little disappointed that the Xillia and Xillia 2 hit systems are easily exploited with just one single attack over and over again. (Don't throw Blahblahblah Tidal Wave at me because you need to be in OVL for that; here you don't need OVL or anything like that.)

Graces is still my favourite Tales battle system of the generation. But to be fair, I haven't experimented with everyone in Xillia 2 yet. Need to figure out Musee. I miss using Asbel a lot. He was a boss. I should get onto finishing my second plat of the JP copy of Graces one day. Man, I miss using Judith and fast-as-hell Jude too. :/

I guess, I'll have to wait until someone posts the trophy guide. And then I;ll send the person some.... LOVE!!! LOL
They seem to be trying to figure it out on the Japanese Wiki right now.

jae

Thanks. Will do.

Is there any way to induce it into appearing? I haven't seen it yet and I've been around the fields a lot, multiple times.

Go to the lake in Elart Road (I think it is to the southwest). Do a quick save, exit, and quick load repeatedly. Eventually it will be right in your face. Shouldn't take more than 10 tries.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Go to the lake in Elart Road (I think it is to the southwest). Do a quick save, exit, and quick load repeatedly. Eventually it will be right in your face. Shouldn't take more than 10 tries.
Perfect. Thanks! :)

I'll get it done when I'm finished this character chapter.

Edit: Man, Jude's animation speeds are starting to bug me. I understand it was a necessity to nerf him because he would just break the freaking game, but attack connection feels weird for me.

Mieu

the gigant just appears randomly. i fought at level 26 and i.... uh... wiped out hehhee

i am trying the wiki for innocence r as well. looks helpful but needspatience with it.

thank you for being such a nice support group here hehehe

kiryogi

Banned
Perfect. Thanks! :)

I'll get it done when I'm finished this character chapter.

Edit: Man, Jude's animation speeds are starting to bug me. I understand it was a necessity to nerf him because he would just break the freaking game, but attack connection feels weird for me.

Did everyone get some sort of speed nerf? Leia feels weird to me too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did everyone get some sort of speed nerf? Leia feels weird to me too.
After playing a bit, I feel like that might be the case for some. Milla and Leia feel weird but I attributed Milla to
being AltMilla
. Haven't taken the time to play Elise a lot in this.

I need to take a minute to pop Xillia in a bit to see how Alvin feels there before comparing it to how he feels in Xillia 2. It shouldn't bug me because it's good that it isn't completely broken, but it's kind of bugging me in that "I was so used to the physics and speeds in the first one and now I'm relearning a character's way of connecting attacks" sort of way

Edit: I feel like I'm overleveled. Playing on hard and everything feels like cannon fodder right now.
Edit2: Nice slowdown/lag there. Heh.
Edit3: Ludger's hi-ougi's pretty fucking cool.

Shouta

So my thoughts on first two hours:

Lulu is quite cute but that is one damn fat cat. Good mascot though!
Loli is tsundere, oh god. Somewhat cute but a little annoying at times.
Jude's hair is ridiculous but his new costume is good.
Ibal is annoying as always.
Nova is cute but annoying

I dig what they changed with Jude, the feel is nice. They extended the animation a bit more and made the attacks actually go through the motion and have a bit of recoil so he has to recover from them. This was lacking in Xillia 1 so he was amazingly fast.

Torraz

Haven't had too much time yet, only around 2ish hours. Pretty fun so far, although as expected the silent protagonist is a bit jarring.

1. How do I access my free costumes? I input the codes in the PSN store, downloaded them, and get this popup every time I boot up the game that download content is being checked for. I did receive the graces/vesperia/xillia in-game accessories.

I tried playing the game on my regular PAL account and on the HK account I used to redeem the DLC but can't find the costumes.

2. Is there a way to get subtitles for the general chatter during combat?

Mieu

Just access the icon that looks like a wi-fi signal in the menu , choose the items there and press confirm.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was saying this in another thread last night, but I'll mention it here. I ended up playing Graces f last night to compare the physics and animation speeds to Xillia 2's because Graces f is considerably slower than Xillia 1 (ugh, it sounds like I'm talking about a freaking Sonic game because I'm talking about speed and who talks about physics and animation speeds in RPGs >:|). The slower speed and recovery times worked because you needed to switch between styles and recover from it, and the weak hit meter compensated for that as it kept the combo going while you're trying to recover. I think in terms of speed, it's Xillia 1 > Xillia 2 = Graces, maybe. But the rate at which Asbel, Cheria, and Hubert's artes hit, it feels like Graces' system works fast. They hit hard, and they hit often.

I think I'm starting to understand why I played that game so much. Three times, with almost 300 hours from scratch combined. It's not my game of the generation, but fuck, I had tons of fun with it and that's what matters the most to me. One of my favourite battle systems this generation. Tops every Tales game released this gen by far. Xillia 2 seems to try to create a happy medium between Xillia and Graces in terms of the battle system (and it's definitely a more decent balanced attempt at it than Xillia 1 was), but I still prefer Graces as a game overall.

Other things:
- Alvin's speed was nerfed as well. His O combos aren't as easy to connect. His O + Left on analog stick combo is less fluid as well (edit: less attacks given even at AC9 - and he just shoots after swiping with a sword when his sword combo seemed to be longer in Xillia 1 before firing off his gun). If Alvin's speed was decreased and I felt like he was the slowest character in Xillia 1, that means everyone was slowed down to a degree to allow for animation completion and recovery. This is a double-edged sword, imo. I like it in some cases, and in others I don't like it.

- Elise seems to physically attack more slowly and she seems to take a recovery time. I'm not going to talk about spellcasting because I'm hoping she'll get something that'll speed up her casting a little (she used to cast pretty fast imo). I didn't check but I'm hoping she gets Pikohan Revenge in this.

- Rowen is Rowen (Rowen was always slow to move around anyway). Meaning that if he gets the skills that he needs to do what I want him to do, he'll be fine.

- Playing as Jude in Xillia 1 and playing as Jude in Xillia 2 is like... playing two completely different people. It's kind of weirding me out. I can fire off 3-4 Houtsuikens in one place and annihilate enemies in one go in Xillia 1, but Jude needs recovery time in Xillia 2 which makes tons of sense (not being sarcastic; Jude never had recovery time in Xillia 1 and it was kind of strange). I think I loved maining Jude because he was broken as hell. You could get out of boss battles with him unscathed. He was just too fast for the opponent. That's why you could break the game with him. I'm glad they made Jude slower and easier to beat on, but I'm kind of sad that the powerhouse isn't there anymore. But it's Ludger's story, not Jude's. He's the one who's supposed to have the fanciest attacks and mechanics. So I can deal, even if it bugs the heck out of me a little in that I have to relearn the character.

- Switching it up between Blades, the Hammer to knock up, and the Guns to knock down with L1 + O is ridiculously fun. I could farm for E Cores all day with that shit. At least I'm busy "not playing the game" while playing the game. That says something (this is a good thing--not playing the game qualifies as not going through the story at a quick pace, but even then, I feel like the game has relatively poor pacing).

- Gun combos on flying enemies makes me laugh.

- The more I play this game, the more flaws I see, even though I find it more enjoyable than Xillia 1.

Edit: Last post of the page. Yay. :|

Top Bottom