• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Does anyone know if there are any missable trophies this time? Was hoping I don't have to play through the story twice this time since there is only the one side.

Seda

\
The way the characters come together feels very forced, there's not much chemistry between them so watching the skits isn't much fun, the cities and other locations are tiny and you can't even talk to everybody you see (and that feels really weird), the item gathering seems like a waste for a potential crafting system, there's no cooking, the titles don't do anything (I know they didn't do anything in some previous Tales games, but they were really useful in others as they changes your stats or gave other bonuses)...of course, just like Graces there's no real over world map.

I hear Xillia 2 is better, but does it actually fix any of the issues I mentioned? I get the impression Namco Bandai just dealt with the rigors of HD development by simplifying everything to keep development costs down. It's especially jarring after my previous JRPG on PS3, which was Ni no Kuni.

I apologize for the rambling!

Cities, towns, and field areas are nearly exactly the same, although there are a few new dungeon-type areas. Cooking is the same. Looting is the same. There are even more titles alike to doing a certain 'thing' in battle XX amount of times - Grade is gained in the same way.

There is a sort of crafting system in ordering 'custom' items from stores now, which require certain loot items. Stores no longer have levels you need to increase by selling to them, stocks once again change depending on merchant, and more custom items become available anywhere as you progress through the game.

Battles work largely in the same way, with a few slight differences. Ludger has different weapon types that he can switch between mid battle, and the way resists and weaknesses work is a little different.
Ludger also has a transformation mode he can eventually access.

Eusis

Why would they? Game is already released in Japan since a year ago :)
I imagine if someone like Bandai Namco went "yo take this down" they'll go "well ok" anyway. Even if it's kind of silly versus, say, somehow launching it here first THEN in Japan.

Xenoflare

Yeah I honestly think if it's not for a slight lisp on her VA's part, then someone forgot to do the de-essing. All the characters had super sharp "s" sounds.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. She had no lisp in those 1080p animated cutscenes. Which in the end led me to think that she just had a borked mic or suffered from bad post recording processing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, preordered the LE. I don't know why. Maybe I'll put some of the swag on my desk at work. It's been months since I've really sat down to play a lengthy game like this, so I guess that's why I'm so hyped.

Persona7

Banned
If the CE/LE came with the Lulu plushie, I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

It does in NA.

81FCLeAMMPL._SL1500_.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

That's a good legnth, but I hope they mean 40 hours in Game Reviewer Time, where they usually rush through it as quickly as possible

Game Reviewer Time is the opposite. They're always like "this game is 80 hours!" when it's like... 20. Because they don't know how to play games or count.

So, for them to say Xillia 2 is 40 hours means that it's probably about 35 minutes.

Sifl

Sorry if this was answered already. I remember reading that a lot of Xillia 2 is reused/same areas from Xillia 1. I was just curious how much of it is going through the same areas again, because Xillia is kind of fresh in my mind so I'm not sure if I want to jump right into this if it feels too familiar.

Datschge

If you found the areas annoying already in Xillia 1 I'd take a break first if I were you.

Game Reviewer Time is the opposite. They're always like "this game is 80 hours!" when it's like... 20. Because they don't know how to play games or count.

So, for them to say Xillia 2 is 40 hours means that it's probably about 35 minutes.
Is that Japan Time's cousin? xD

SaintZ

I got the game already and had the chance to play for a few hours.

Impressions so far:

- I can't believe how nerfed Jude feels next to Ludger
waq685xu9z.gif
I tried using him but I just couldn't. Ludger is just faster and has better artes.
- I don't like Elle's voice.
- Rollo is adorable, I need a big plushie of him.
- The debt system is awful
waq685xu9z.gif

- I hope the game doesn't try to repeat the Leia/Elize situation with Elize and Elle.
- I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new mechanics:
pistols & side step.
- I just beat
Volt. OMG, what kind of cheap bastard. He destroyed me the first time he started bouncing. The second time, after he did it again, only Alvin got left standing but it gave enough time to use life bottles on everyone and take Volt down. It was really close D:
- The story is interesting so far.

Now going back to play for a bit more
iuvgqnvb3iajzn7u0h.gif

Danny Dudekisser

Sooo, I had the CE preordered from Gamestop, but Amazon just opened up preorders again. Should I switch over? Not sure who's going to be more reliable for release date delivery...

Cheska

Sooo, I had the CE preordered from Gamestop, but Amazon just opened up preorders again. Should I switch over? Not sure who's going to be more reliable for release date delivery...

It doesn't look like Amazon is offering release date delivery for this title, so I'd stick with Gamestop.

I was going to do the same, but I got the sweet E3 deal on it, and the difference in price is pretty significant... I'm just going to wait it out.

Eusis

It doesn't look like Amazon is offering release date delivery for this title, so I'd stick with Gamestop.
They did, but it was in a convoluted manner because it seemed they just modified every existing order to be with a shipping estimate of the 19th at once, and if you modify the order the date changes to the 21st.

Though you might've had to pick one day shipping even if Amazon offered it, Diablo III UEE has the same release date but wasn't two day = release last I checked.

Vylash

i know someone who wasn't getting release date delivery, he bugged customer service and they upgraded him to one day shipping and he's getting it on release, worth doing

Seda

I got the game already and had the chance to play for a few hours.

Impressions so far:

- I can't believe how nerfed Jude feels next to Ludger
waq685xu9z.gif
I tried using him but I just couldn't. Ludger is just faster and has better artes.
- I don't like Elle's voice.
- Rollo is adorable, I need a big plushie of him.
- The debt system is awful
waq685xu9z.gif

- I hope the game doesn't try to repeat the Leia/Elize situation with Elize and Elle.
- I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new mechanics:
pistols & side step.
- I just beat
Volt. OMG, what kind of cheap bastard. He destroyed me the first time he started bouncing. The second time, after he did it again, only Alvin got left standing but it gave enough time to use life bottles on everyone and take Volt down. It was really close D:
- The story is interesting so far.

Now going back to play for a bit more
iuvgqnvb3iajzn7u0h.gif

I didn't like Elle's voice at first but I got used to it, and it fits her character.

With the debt system, Nova will /always/ pop up if you pass the full amount for the next payment threshold in total gald. It's best to keep your total gald amount always around 60-70% of the next payment amount, that way she doesn't pop up nearly as often.

I'll be out of town by the time Amazon finally delivers this. :(

Considering trying to grab a CE from GameStop on Tuesday since they occasionally get extras.

I just popped in the original Xillia last night and picked up my Milla playthrough again on Unknown difficulty. Man. So much fun. I love how the Devil Arms make upgrading the weapon shops in NG+ completely pointless.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Rarutos

m0H70cC.jpg

Just got my copy of the CE that I ordered from Bamco's store! It's packaged really well and the stuff in it is really nice. Gonna dig into the game now!

Top Bottom