• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

I just discovered Tales of Card Evolve and all the beautiful artwork that goes with it. O_O

Of course it's ending next month, but so there are so many amazing portraits, including so many side character that never had any official art.

And of course, my favorite Tales characters (the older dudes) have very few cards, or in some cases, none at all... ;_;

Wonder if they'll release a new Tales of Card Evolve artbook then.

Wouldn't mind seeing all that artwork in one place if the game's going down, lol

LuuKyK

It's an online card game, but it's ending next month.

Don't be afraid of tumblr. There are many, many good things on there.

Say that to the NSFW-ish images that popped up. lol
I know there are some good things there. :)

But anyway, where can I play this?

Say that to the NSFW-ish images that popped up. lol
I know there are some good things there. :)

But anyway, where can I play this?
No idea. In Japan, I guess?

I don't know much about it. I imagine it's one of those F2P things. All I know is that there is some really sweet artwork that goes along with it.

LuuKyK

No idea. In Japan, I guess?

I don't know much about it. I imagine it's one of those F2P things. All I know is that there is some really sweet artwork that goes along with it.

Oh, bummer. I thought it was like an MMO card game or something. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't played the original through yet... but 30 hours sounds really refreshing for a Tales game... just got an email from Gamestop that my collector's edition shipped.

aravuus

I dunno, I wouldn't mind if it was ten or fifteen hours longer. There are RPGs that are just way too long, sure, but I don't think any of the Tales games have suffered from it.

Then again, it's back to school next week and I'm a tutor this year etc etc, I'm probably not gonna have as much time to play as I've had in the last couple of years

RalchAC

This Friday can't come soon enough. I'm starting to look at shop4es like twice a day in order to see if they've finally send the package.

I got a nice price too, 50.99€ for the Day-One edition, which is supposed to have the steelbook.

Meh, amazon was dun goofing so I cancelled it. I wanna get this day one, I'm going to have to pay a little more but whatever. At least I can play it tomorrow.

Vashzaron

Man, this game seems to have the same dark overlay thing Xilla 1 uses. Using the in built screenshot feature this game and Graces F has it should be obvious on the "identical" logos; (So no capture card shenanigans)
Xilla 1&2:
Tales%20of%20Xillia%202.png

Graces F:
Tales%20of%20Graces%20f.png

This is on purpose right? I'm not the only one who gets this? I don't like it at all.

Man, this game seems to have the same dark overlay thing Xilla 1 uses. Using the in built screenshot feature this game and Graces F has it should be obvious on the "identical" logos; (So no capture card shenanigans)

This is on purpose right? I'm not the only one who gets this? I don't like it at all.

Nah, I get it too. Xillia was darker than the other games. Symphonia Chronicles and Graces f look fine.

oni_saru

For ppl that already got the standard US version, did it come with dlc or anything special?

Or this time around just the CE has extra stuff?

SaintZ

For ppl that already got the standard US version, did it come with dlc or anything special?
My copy didn't have anything special :(

If you have save files of the previous Tales of games you get a Sophie, Yuri, Milla and Jude attachments for your characters though.

Seda

Or this time around just the CE has extra stuff?

It doesn't, but Xillia/Graces savedata will get you some attachments, and any costume DLC you bought for Xillia will be available in this game as well.

khaaan

It doesn't, but Xillia/Graces savedata will get you some attachments, and any costume DLC you bought for Xillia will be available in this game as well.

I was playing Xillia this weekend and I felt a bit ashamed at how tempted I was to buy the costumes, especially considering I don't even like changing the default costumes.

Seda

I was playing Xillia this weekend and I felt a bit ashamed at how tempted I was to buy the costumes, especially considering I don't even like changing the default costumes.

I ended up buying the cameo ones mostly for nostalgia and having other games' music tracks in battle. At least the games have some flexibility in alternate colors or 'hat' hair styles that don't need to be purchased. You can also unlock the Xillia 1 costumes by doing the character quests.

Soriku

Yeah I think about 20-30 hours for a run through the main story and keeping side stuff to a minimum is right.

I'd actually recommend this if you have the time to go through the game more than once. A second run with the "perfect" choices, grade shop stuff, harder difficulties, Ludger's voice unlocked, extra sidequest scenes, and the bonus scenes unlocked from doing the supporting cast's quests helps to give a second wind to the main story and provide some slightly new perspectives to things. That and a "95% main story" first playthrough keeps the recycled and tedious stuff to a minimum and makes the first experience with the game feel fresher and smoother, imo.

I think some of their story/gameplay ideas for this game are more interesting when you're going through it again and you can see how things differ or get taken to their limits in another playthrough.

Are you saying you get new sidequest and character episode scenes on NG+?

Is there a list of perfect choices?

ohlawd

I ended up buying the cameo ones mostly for nostalgia and having other games' music tracks in battle. At least the games have some flexibility in alternate colors or 'hat' hair styles that don't need to be purchased. You can also unlock the Xillia 1 costumes by doing the character quests.

that's good news. I don't really like Leia's outfit here.

Finalow

question for the importers, how's the difficulty of the japanase used in the game(s)? Not about this game in particular but more about recent tales of games and what should I expect if I decide to import ToZ.

I sure hope there's more of this perfection in Xillia 2!~!~!
I knew that someone was going to link that shit again.

I crai everytiem

Sagitario

Huh?

Still legitimately upset that there's no "Day One Edition" or anything like that similar to ToX1. I like to keep my games organized by title and case size, so having the box ToX1 came in next to a regular ToX2 case irks me just a tiny bit.

If any EU people decide they want to part with any of their steelbooks, let me know! I would definitely be interested in buying one to put the game in. That, at least would look somewhat better.

MSMrRound

No steelbook here in Asia as well.

It only comes with Collector's Edition or something.

Gonna pick up my copy in about 5 hours or so.

Ninjimbo

So I want to give the Xillia games a shot but I'm a bit hesitant because I've been burned by Tales games before. I loved Vesperia but I didn't like Abyss.

I think the reason why I enjoy Vesperia so much is because I really love the cast in that game; they're good, honorable, quirky people while the characters in Abyss, with the exception of the main female, left me somewhat...cold

So how is the cast in Xillia? Is the voice acting good? Is Johnny Yong Bosch in it?

Soriku

So I want to give the Xillia games a shot but I'm a bit hesitant because I've been burned by Tales games before. I loved Vesperia but I didn't like Abyss.

I think the reason why I enjoy Vesperia so much is because I really love the cast in that game; they're good, honorable, quirky people while the characters in Abyss, with the exception of the main female, left me somewhat...cold

So how is the cast in Xillia? Is the voice acting good? Is Johnny Yong Bosch in it?

Xillia cast is one of my favorites but YMMV. Milla and Elize have OK voice acting, the rest are great though.

Coxy

I hated Abyss too, dont worry, there's no Luke like shits in this, most of the cast is great, Elize/Teepo is a little annoying but the rest are good and interesting/likeable.

Vylash

I was in your same position last year, was constantly getting burned by Tales games and was ready to give up on the series before some people talked me into buying Xillia and I loved it, give it a try

MSMrRound

Best voice acting in ToX1 definitely go to Alvin (Matthew Mercer) as well as Rowen (done by Todd Haberkorn) imo.

Sam Riegel makes a pretty okay Jude.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wheeeee my copy of Xillia 2 CE shipped from Gamestop. Should be here on Wednesday. Can't play till Thursday, but whatever. I'm sure it'll still be awesome by then.

I'm chapter 9 already
really cool that you get Gaius, the only character which I'm still missing is Muzée, the sound quality of the game has improved greatly, btw is the VA for Milla a different one? Or does she just sound different because of the quality of the sound recording? The game has 15 chapters right? Liking the game so far, the only tedious thing is, that most places are visited twice because of the whole time thing.

chrono01

Nice, my Collector's Edition from Amazon.ca has shipped. Scheduled delivery of tomorrow!

I probably won't get around to it right away, though, since I have Akiba's Trip 2 to complete as well as Tales of Xillia [nearing the end]. Excited to see what the CE looks like.

ohlawd

Nice, my Collector's Edition from Amazon.ca has shipped. Scheduled delivery of tomorrow!

I probably won't get around to it right away, though, since I have Akiba's Trip 2 to complete as well as Tales of Xillia [nearing the end]. Excited to see what the CE looks like.
damn hahah went for the CE, huh?

my standard from FS shipped earlier. 55 bucks after taxes... oh well, still better than 78 dollars.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Game is a bit slow in the sense that the main plot is very nebulous until a certain stage. However, the main narrative is accompanied with interesting side narratives.

chrono01

damn hahah went for the CE, huh?

my standard from FS shipped earlier. 55 bucks after taxes... oh well, still better than 78 dollars.
I did. :/

I'm a sucker for exclusive DLC [especially Tales of-themed] and the inclusion of the artbook, steelbook, and Rolo plush pushed me over the edge. Also the figure, while maybe not the best of quality compared to the other figures I own, will look nice standing alongside Milla from the first game. The pocket watch looks neat, although it likely won't get any use and just remain in its box as a collector's item.

Top Bottom