• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Seda

That sounds annoying. Will they sell mega-gald DLC packs so I can pay off the debt right away?

Probably, but how the debt system works is that, once you complete a chapter, you need to spend <some amount> more before the next opens up. It's not a total amount that needs to be reached. It's also not at all difficult to reach these payments.

In addition, in most cases, paying off the amount of debt needed to open up a chapter does not automatically start it, you usually have to speak with one of the characters somewhere (marked on your map). The only exception to this - I believe - is after chapter 7, where paying the amount will throw you into your choice of chapter 8 or 9 (interchangeable chapters).

Probably, but how the debt system works is that, once you complete a chapter, you need to spend <some amount> more before the next opens up. It's not a total amount that needs to be reached. It's also not at all difficult to reach these payments.

In addition, in most cases, paying off the amount of debt needed to open up a chapter does not automatically start it, you usually have to speak with one of the characters somewhere (marked on your map). The only exception to this - I believe - is after chapter 7, where paying the amount will throw you into your choice of chapter 8 or 9 (interchangeable chapters).

It doesn't sound too bad when you put it that way.

I'm still a terrible sucker for DLC packs of mass-gald, though. It really helps when equipment shopping.

LuuKyK

Chapters don't even progress until you pay off a certain amount. If you pay more, you get a bonus.

I thought it was more like Atelier games, as in you have a deadline to pay a certain amount. I am glad I was wrong though, I dont think I would like it in a Tales game.

Also, how does this bonus work? Is there a limit to it? Or you can keep paying so that you almost pay the amount you need for the next chapter (considering that they are not completely separate values, of course)?

Is it a considerable amount you have to pay each chapter? How does it affect the things you actually need to buy, like new weapons, armors and such?

FSLink

Banned
It doesn't sound too bad when you put it that way.

I'm still a terrible sucker for DLC packs of mass-gald, though. It really helps when equipment shopping.

Really unnecessary when you get money for completing sidequests and just battling normally. I upgraded my equipment most of the time, got items, and was still able to progress through chapters just fine. It's not as bad as it sounds. You can always just use a Grade Shop option to get Gald faster after you beat it instead of wasting money on that kind of DLC for Tales.

Seda

Is it a considerable amount you have to pay each chapter? How does it affect the things you actually need to buy, like new weapons, armors and such?

Not really. Typically, killing a new giganto monster (who are mostly pushovers, save a few exceptions) will get you more than enough to continue. You'll get even more money to work with if you do some easy quests as you explore.

The are two types of quests: Red ones are usually more important and lead to unique rewards (weapons, attachments, etc.) White ones are only for money and points. Points are used to determine your job rank, which only affects what quests you can take.

Really unnecessary when you get money for completing sidequests and just battling normally. I upgraded my equipment most of the time, got items, and was still able to progress through chapters just fine. It's not as bad as it sounds. You can always just use a Grade Shop option to get Gald faster after you beat it instead of wasting money on that kind of DLC for Tales.

I know, but it's just so convenient. I can't resist. And it's more useful than $20 costume packs for Street Fighter.

I didn't like Elle's voice at first but I got used to it, and it fits her character.

With the debt system, Nova will /always/ pop up if you pass the full amount for the next payment threshold in total gald. It's best to keep your total gald amount always around 60-70% of the next payment amount, that way she doesn't pop up nearly as often.

IkqHC70.jpg

Nova to Rudger: "FUCK YOU, PAY ME!"

I know, but it's just so convenient. I can't resist. And it's more useful than $20 costume packs for Street Fighter.

Namco to playerbase: "Fuck you, pay me!"

Zafir

If anyone in Europe was wanting the guide that only seems to be available in the US, you can get it from BookDepository for £16.

FSLink

Banned
That sounds much more like Capcom.

Capcom's been better about it lately than Namco imo. Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost has way more extraneous money grabbing DLC than say Ultra SF4. The costumes is worse in Tales of too, way more expensive and they used to be unlockable in Tales of. Namco handles their properties better though, Capcom has some of the most renowned franchises in history but mismanages them outside of RE/SF/MH, lol. Anyway that's off topic.

if that chick shows up always after passing the gald threshold, why not just pay it all off and not progress?

I guess you could, but it's faster to just progress through the chapters + get access to better monsters/better quests. Plus the story's good in this game that you don't really want to waste that much time grinding for money imo.

Seda

if that chick shows up always after passing the gald threshold, why not just pay it all off and not progress?

Let me put it this way:

Say you need to pay 20,000 to open up the next chapter. If you pass 20,000 in your wallet, Nova will pop up asking for a payment. You can pay as much or as little as you want. however, if you are still above 20,000, she'll pop up again after the next battle or map transition.

Once you pay off the 20,000, a *star* will show up on your map which indicates who you talk to progress the story. You can continue wandering and killing monsters and doing quests or whatever. However, the 20,000 gald threshold is "still there", in a sense that she'll still pop up at that point. Paying more here can net you bonus items and such.

Let me put it this way:

Say you need to pay 20,000 to open up the next chapter. If you pass 20,000 in your wallet, Nova will pop up asking for a payment. You can pay as much or as little as you want. however, if you are still above 20,000, she'll pop up again after the next battle or map transition.

Once you pay off the 20,000, a *star* will show up on your map which indicates who you talk to progress the story. You can continue wandering and killing monsters and doing quests or whatever. However, the 20,000 gald threshold is "still there", in a sense that she'll still pop up at that point. Paying more here can net you bonus items and such.

Just to add to this, it's not just after the next battle or map transition. It's literally every single time your gald total is above the threshold and there has been some change to your gald, positive or negative. If you sold or bought something, she'll come a-ringing. If you completed a mission, she'll come a-ringing.

And yeah, you'll get bonuses for paying off certain amounts. And the debt total is extremely high. No amount of gald DLC will actually pay it off completely. I'm not even sure if you can hold enough gald to pay it off in one sitting. (Even if you are able to without getting constant reminders)

Zafir

If you pay more than the required amount, does it take it off the next payment, or is it just bonus and you'll still have to pay the full amount next chapter?

Just to add to this, it's not just after the next battle or map transition. It's literally every single time your gald total is above the threshold and there has been some change to your gald, positive or negative. If you sold or bought something, she'll come a-ringing. If you completed a mission, she'll come a-ringing.

So you're basically telling me that I'm going to want to murder her by the end of the first chapter?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Currently playing Graces F.

Still in the children's era, but so far I find the characters to be adorable. So cute.

Wondering whether to buy Xillia 2 1st day or wait... hmmm.

Seda

I wouldn't worry too much about the debt system. Once you get familiar with it you learn how to manage it.

Basically, for me, it's
a) complete chapter.
b) Nova has a new bill that needs to be paid.
c) I kill newly appeared Gigantos for tons of money.
d.) Pay off amount.
e.) Continue with new quests and exploring new areas before moving on, keeping my balance at about 75% of the 'threshold' amount, either by buying items or paying bonus amounts to Nova.

Or in other words, you get plenty of money to make it not really a headache. I'm not anywhere close to paying off the full amount yet, I figure there are methods to that once I get deep into post-game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Currently playing Graces F.

Still in the children's era, but so far I find the characters to be adorable. So cute.

Wondering whether to buy Xillia 2 1st day or wait... hmmm.

If only they stayed that way...

My amazon order says shipped but the tracking number has not been scanned into the system yet.

Amazon Canada user here, mine hasn't even shipped yet, and I bet that it'll only be released on the actual day that it comes out. Now do I wait and pay less (E3 discount), or cancel it and go buy it physically at a store on it's launch...

I just discovered Tales of Card Evolve and all the beautiful artwork that goes with it. O_O

Of course it's ending next month, but so there are so many amazing portraits, including so many side character that never had any official art.

And of course, my favorite Tales characters (the older dudes) have very few cards, or in some cases, none at all... ;_;

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just hope Gamestop's not going to be like "sorry dood, we didn't get enuff CEs." The downside to ordering online is that there's no magazine rack to knock over if they mess up.

SaintZ

Ok I'm on Chapter 7
and I just beat Chronos... barely. What the hell, it was so hard. I used like 13 Life Bottles to survive. I beat him spamming Ludger's Chromatus Transformation and just made sure everyone was alive long enough for the gauge to fill again and again :S

I have to say, I don't like the multiple dimensions stuff. It gives me some serious Bravely Default vibes and it's not very nice (specially since I finished BD not too long ago). Revisiting the same areas all over again is really tedious, and I know I can sprint through them but I just need to stop and get all the loot before leaving the area D:

And I don't know why they did this but not only I can't change an active party member for someone in the bench during a battle like in Xillia 1 but I can't change my party AT ALL unless I'm inside a town?! WTF. Who thought this was a good idea?!?!

As for the debt system, I don't mind it that much now. It's not as awful as I thought it would be. Also, I really like Nova. She's really funny and her calls are awesome, heh.

Rpgmonkey

I noted actual times in the OT. They should take roughly that long.

Yeah I think about 20-30 hours for a run through the main story and keeping side stuff to a minimum is right.

I'd actually recommend this if you have the time to go through the game more than once. A second run with the "perfect" choices, grade shop stuff, harder difficulties, Ludger's voice unlocked, extra sidequest scenes, and the bonus scenes unlocked from doing the supporting cast's quests helps to give a second wind to the main story and provide some slightly new perspectives to things. That and a "95% main story" first playthrough keeps the recycled and tedious stuff to a minimum and makes the first experience with the game feel fresher and smoother, imo.

I think some of their story/gameplay ideas for this game are more interesting when you're going through it again and you can see how things differ or get taken to their limits in another playthrough.

Eusis

I just hope Gamestop's not going to be like "sorry dood, we didn't get enuff CEs." The downside to ordering online is that there's no magazine rack to knock over if they mess up.
The downside to reality is that there aren't even any more magazine racks to knock over.

Well, there's accessory racks I guess.

zulux21

4 for me :|

Well, at least I've got the whole weekend to play it when it comes out

I wish I had one of those, but alas I will be going to a geek convention this next weekend. It's all good though I was planning on using this week to speed run millia's side of the xillia story anyways.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The downside to reality is that there aren't even any more magazine racks to knock over.

Well, there's accessory racks I guess.

Or I could throw their preorder binder on the floor.

I might do that for fun regardless of how this turns out.

That sounds much more like Capcom.

Also SCAMCO.

I just discovered Tales of Card Evolve and all the beautiful artwork that goes with it. O_O

Of course it's ending next month, but so there are so many amazing portraits, including so many side character that never had any official art.

And of course, my favorite Tales characters (the older dudes) have very few cards, or in some cases, none at all... ;_;

Yup, avatar lined up and everything.

Top Bottom