• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

PKrockin

I like Ludger a lot better with slicked back hair. Multicolored hair over the eyes just doesn't work for a 20-year-old in a technologically advanced world IMO.

You'd think if Namco wanted him to be a shell for the player they would have gone with a little simpler haircut and outfit. Not that I can complain too much about the character design.

MSMrRound

okay, I totally forgot, but what do you do with mystic artes again?

You mean using Mystic Artes?

Get your characters to level 42. They will learn a skill known as "special". Equip it. Upon doing a linked arte while in overlimit, just hold normal attack button and mystic arte will automatically trigger.

If you want to use your linked partner's mystic arte instead, just hold L1+attack button.

heiyu

I only played it on normal but I stuck to duel blades 99% of the time. Hammer and guns just felt weird and the game never really needed you to use them anyways.

wat-meme.jpg

am i the only one and scanning every enemy so i can hit all weakness? then again im playing it on hard

PKrockin

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wat-meme.jpg[IMG]

am i the only one and scanning every enemy so i can hit all weakness? then again im playing it on hard[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm playing on hard too so I'm mixing up blade and hammer attacks to kill enemies faster. The gun has bad damage and combo ability right now so I only switch to it for one or two attacks usually. I swear, Power Swinging an enemy straight into orbit is way more satisfying than it has any right to be.

heiyu

Yeah, I'm playing on hard too so I'm mixing up blade and hammer attacks to kill enemies faster. The gun has bad damage and combo ability right now so I only switch to it for one or two attacks usually. I swear, Power Swinging an enemy straight into orbit is way more satisfying than it has any right to be.

im loving the bullet fiesta with alvin and aoe everything

Man fuck this final dungeon, I'm in the second area and I literally can't go anywhere. Every path I take disappears at some point.

Edit: finally got it, what a horribly designed area. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired.

Okay I only need 5 cats left and I've used that Japanese guide that's been posted around but I'm still coming up short, I think there's one or two in Canaan? My kitty dispatch is complete for every area I believe and I can enter Canaan at any time. Any help?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't sure how I felt about some of the Xillia 2 outfits, but I prefer most of them when I actually unlock the old one and compare. Jude's hair is the only thing I reverted back for now.

demidar

I wasn't sure how I felt about some of the Xillia 2 outfits, but I prefer most of them when I actually unlock the old one and compare. Jude's hair is the only thing I reverted back for now.

I'm a bit busy at the moment so I can't check up on this, but when I took a look a Jude's outfit I didn't realize he was wearing chaps. I mean I think they're chaps. Can someone else check for me? Seems like a really weird piece of clothing for a guy wearing a lab coat.

Papercuts

I'm a bit busy at the moment so I can't check up on this, but when I took a look a Jude's outfit I didn't realize he was wearing chaps. I mean I think they're chaps. Can someone else check for me? Seems like a really weird piece of clothing for a guy wearing a lab coat.

Haha, it does look like it. The lab coat makes it not really stand out though.

I just finished the game! Massive ending spoilers please don't click this!

I got the true ending. Overall a very solid ending and I was not expecting it to end with Ludger dying and all of the fractured dimensions to disappear. I thought either Elle would die or the fractured dimensions would disappear. And the fat, old Rollo made me smile. :D

One thing that bugged me is that I wish Elle would have called Ludger "Daddy" at some point during the end of the game. Technically he isn't her father in the Prime dimension but it would have been nice to see just how my she cared from him.

I sort of want a sequel now even though there is literally no chance. I have really grown to love these characters. Playing along side Gauis was really badass, his mystic arte was amazing!
yea, I felt she should've called him dad as well. Since it seemed like she was about to right before she got cut off when chronic was at marksburg. I enjoyed playing with Gaius as well, dude was awesome in 1 and 2, he's alright in my book.

Finalow

once again I really like the opening, both Xillia and Xillia 2 openings are really good.

I did read a (pretty huge?) spoiler about Ludger and Elle when I was trying to search some Xillia's story recaps since I didn't remember it too well. fuck me etc, basically what I read was that (possibly huge spoiler)
Victor is Ludger from another dimension or something.
hints that I got during these last 2 chapters (7-8) are almost confirming it. and now that I think about it, it doesn't seem hard to figure out.
well if I'm right I just hope that it's not the major plot twist of the game.

Why the hell was
volt
so hard? It destroyed me for some reason. Had no problem up until then. Had to learn guns tho and now I like them a lot, hammer too.

Finalow

did anyone get the platinum? Now that I read the battle challanges after playing the game for 15-20 hours I'm not so sure if I want to go for it. some of them seem to be very specific and annoying as hell since you have to do the thing 10, 20 or even 40 times.
is there a better guide than this for them?

Why the hell was
volt
so hard? It destroyed me for some reason. Had no problem up until then. Had to learn guns tho and now I like them a lot, hammer too.
that's pretty much the first serious boss you get, if you can even call the ones before him bosses.
in that fight I had to use items for the first time!

PKrockin

Why the hell was
volt
He destroyed me too but I don't think I had anyone's equipment upgraded. He would kill multiple party members in a few seconds with the slamming attack. With no way to go back and buy armor I decided to just set it to Moderate for that battle.

He destroyed me too but I don't think I had anyone's equipment upgraded. He would kill multiple party members in a few seconds with the slamming attack. With no way to go back and buy armor I decided to just set it to Moderate for that battle.
Lol I'm playing on moderate, feel kind of scrubby now.

did anyone get the platinum? Now that I read the battle challanges after playing the game for 15-20 hours I'm not so sure if I want to go for it. some of them seem to be very specific and annoying as hell since you have to do the thing 10, 20 or even 40 times.
is there a better guide than this for them?

that's pretty much the first serious boss you get, if you can even call the ones before him bosses.
in that fight I had to use items for the first time!
I kept trying to do a no item run, kind of dumb but I usually the type that hoards healing items.

Papercuts

Why the hell was
volt

I really do think that was a worse difficulty spike compared to Gattuso in Vesperia that I never really found bad. His weakness makes the fight...well, kinda dull since you don't have many options, but whattttt at that attack that wipes your entire party and stunlocks you by hitting you once. I don't think he really needed that, haha.

I really do think that was a worse difficulty spike compared to Gattuso in Vesperia that I never really found bad. His weakness makes the fight...well, kinda dull since you don't have many options, but whattttt at that attack that wipes your entire party and stunlocks you by hitting you once. I don't think he really needed that, haha.
That stun attack was a little ridiculous, I had to lame it out and build the meter and almost spam gun artes. I should already of expected it though, some bosses difficulties are weird in these games.

Finalow

I'm playing on normal, I'd go for moderate or harder but I don't really want to waste time grinding, with some later bosses like
Chronos or Muzet
I'm sure that on higher difficulties than normal I would have needed some grinding. also the rewards for playing at higher difficulties are pretty much meaningless.
they were still quite challenging on normal, so I'm not complaining.

Datschge

along with the "mc failure", which yes, sucks a lot, I'd call the debt a failure as well, I'm not really sure what they tried to do there but it's just annoying, really. the whole (in-game) reason behind it was pretty stupid too.
Imo the debt system is clearly used as a game design mechanic to restrict access to areas. The developer needed a tool that would have the player go through the world in a linear fashion again even though it was by design already mostly explored after Xillia 1. I don't consider it a bad idea per se, it's easy to play along with it and avoid most of its annoyances. But yes, its integration into the story is silly and the presentation of the mechanic comes across as arbitrary and opaque, kind of similar to e.g. how abilities are inanely locked away in Metroid Other M (compared to the somewhat more natural approaches in the other Metroid games).

Nice you got to it. So you enjoyed what you saw, did it live up to what we were talking about? :p Things just took a complete 180 on that chapter.

I'm now on chapter 14, game will be over soon. I'm going to miss these characters. I'm just praying for a nice finalization to the Xilia series. After playing this, I'm now actually kind of looking forward to playing another Tales game, and Hearts R, is the next one to come over, before Zestiria which will only be out sometime in 2015. I'm very much looking forward to those 2 games now, specially the latter.

I think
it would have had more of an impact on me if I didn't make the Ludger/Elle's dad connection early on. Still, it was an impressive sequence and raised the dramatic tension nicely.

I'm just finishing up the character side stories I have left before I tackle the final chapter. Overall I'd say it's one of the better stories featured in a Tales of game.

I'm honestly wondering if Zestiria will be able to live up to it. I know they're going for a different tone than with Xillia 2 but I'm still very curious.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh I'm on the edge of either buying this or Neptunia Re:Birth right now. I love Tales, but I'm worried about everything being recycled in this game and I just finished Xillia 1 not that long ago so it's still fresh, but I love the battles of the first game and the cast (Leia still the best <3). Then again I've never played a Neptunia game before and don't really know what to expect from those games, but I've heard then are fun RPG that spoof gaming companies and stuff. Just need something to tide me over to Danganronpa 2 next week and don't know which game I want to jump on yet.

ohlawd

Ugh I'm on the edge of either buying this or Neptunia Re:Birth right now. I love Tales, but I'm worried about everything being recycled in this game and I just finished Xillia 1 not that long ago so it's still fresh, but I love the battles of the first game and the cast (Leia still the best <3). Then again I've never played a Neptunia game before and don't really know what to expect from those games, but I've heard then are fun RPG that spoof gaming companies and stuff. Just need something to tide me over to Danganronpa 2 next week and don't know which game I want to jump on yet.

this is easy, dude

Tales of Xillia 2.

I mean, I haven't played Re:Birth and probably never will but yeah, ToX2. Totally no bias here.

Taruranto

This isn't even a choice, as mediocre Xillia 2 is, it isn't a Compile Heart game.

Hugstable

Banned
this is easy, dude

Tales of Xillia 2.

I mean, I haven't played Re:Birth and probably never will but yeah, ToX2. Totally no bias here.

This isn't even a choice, as mediocre Xillia 2 is, it isn't a Compile Heart game.

lol Tales it is then, are the recycled areas all over the game though? Always been a bit worried about that, but I keep hearing that the story is even better than the first game (which I enjoyed immensely)... and LEIA in new clothes!

ALso I've never played or looked much into a Compile Heart game so I have no idea how they play or how bad they can be -___-

ohlawd

lol Tales it is then, are the recycled areas all over the game though? Always been a bit worried about that, but I keep hearing that the story is even better than the first game (which I enjoyed immensely)... and LEIA in new clothes!

Know how most things nowadays are made from recycled shit? ToX2 takes that to a whole new level in recycling. I recycle like a mofo, very meticulous at that and Bamco have out-recycled me. That's quite the feat.

You should switch to new clothes for Leia. Her new clothes suck.

Hugstable

Banned
Know how most things nowadays are made from recycled shit? ToX2 takes that to a whole new level in recycling. I recycle like a mofo, very meticulous at that and Bamco have out-recycled me. That's quite the feat.

You should switch to new clothes for Leia. Her new clothes suck.

O_O. That much recycling? Are there new areas lol? Is Leia still have her clothes from the original Xillia?

O_O. That much recycling? Are there new areas lol? Is Leia still have her clothes from the original Xillia?

No, everyone has new outfits, thankfully. But yeah, there's a ton of recycling. I'm not really complaining because it's still set in the same world(s). There's no logical reason why there wouldn't be an overlap in locations.

8-4 LTD sucks!

Just watched the Japanese version of a scene I just saw and "..." got translated to a cuss word for the main character. Yeah, that silent protagonist was totally me there, right? No.

ohlawd

I don't have a problem with recycled areas. I prefer it at times since I'm lazy and I hate seeing new shit.

yeah there are some new areas.

you can unlock old outfits eventually for all characters.

Top Bottom