• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Xenoflare

Between the normal and true endings,
normal seems like the "good" ending to me. I know that Ludger became attached to Elle, but she was never supposed to exist in the first place and he basically stopped his real daughter from existing in order for an alternate dimension version of his daughter to continue existing. Sacrificing himself for someone who shouldn't exist and then subsequently causing the person who should exist not to exist, plus leaving behind all of the people who became attached to him, as well as his future wife... I also feel like the normal ending is more poetic and noble, where Ludger realizes that he has to put his attachments aside for the greater good. Sacrificing himself for a fractured version of someone seems like he's propagating the "wrongness" of other dimensions, and I just get a better sense that the world has been set right in the normal ending.

I'm pretty sure that the true ending is
canon since I think Baba confirmed it, and it also got the treatment of the artwork credits roll

But I agree with you. Though the main point of the story is kinda among the line of "would you sacrifice the entire world for a girl?"

With that said... anyone know what players in Japan thought of the story?

Xenoflare

I'm about half way through based on chapter number. How many character side story chapters are there?

5 for Jude and Alvin

6 for Milla

4 for Leia, Elize, Gaius, Rowen and Muzet

Plus an additional bonus chapter
once you entered the land of cannan or completed all of the character quests, I'm not too sure, but it didn't pop up when I finished all of the character quests

It shouldn't be necessary to finish all the character quests to get the bonus chapter, I did it before I finished all of Muzet's chapters.
It might just be entering Canaan and having done Jude and Milla's stories, since they have a big part in it and it popped up immediately after I finished both of theirs after I'd started the final dungeon.

ohlawd

ending spoilers

I don't feel there's anything wrong with the true ending. Yes, Ludger disappeared just so Elle, a being from a fractured dimension, can continue to exist. Consequently, he'll never meet his wife and his prime dimension daughter won't be born. But people from the fractured dimensions were real people too. Real like their prime counterparts. They had their own lives, dreams, values, basically their own person. Agria was off doing her own stuff with Leia, Presa was engaged to Alvin, stuff like that.

So it kinda pissed me off that these dimensions were getting blown out like candles. When fractured Milla was berating the party, I thought that the game would really touch on the aspect of, well, it's basically murder on a universal scale. That didn't happen obviously. The issue got swept under a rug. It all amounted to, "it sucks guys but we gotta deal with it." Every once in a while, yeah someone brings it up and Ludger feels bad for it. iunno what else to say hahah I wouldn't have minded if the entire game battered me constantly about the morality of it.

I'm not looking at it like it's a win-loss thing. Lose Elle (-1), gain wife (+1) and real Elle (+1) = +1. Lose Ludger (-1), Elle lives (+1) = 0

Gist of it is, I think Elle has the right to live even if she's "fake."

Chapter 11....

z7XfsY5.gif

Stuart444

ending spoilers

I don't feel there's anything wrong with the true ending. Yes, Ludger disappeared just so Elle, a being from a fractured dimension, can continue to exist. Consequently, he'll never meet his wife and his prime dimension daughter won't be born. But people from the fractured dimensions were real people too. Real like their prime counterparts. They had their own lives, dreams, values, basically their own person. Agria was off doing her own stuff with Leia, Presa was engaged to Alvin, stuff like that.

So it kinda pissed me off that these dimensions were getting blown out like candles. When fractured Milla was berating the party, I thought that the game would really touch on the aspect of, well, it's basically murder on a universal scale. That didn't happen obviously. The issue got swept under a rug. It all amounted to, "it sucks guys but we gotta deal with it." Every once in a while, yeah someone brings it up and Ludger feels bad for it. iunno what else to say hahah I wouldn't have minded if the entire game battered me constantly about the morality of it.

I'm not looking at it like it's a win-loss thing. Lose Elle (-1), gain wife (+1) and real Elle (+1) = +1. Lose Ludger (-1), Elle lives (+1) = 0

Gist of it is, I think Elle has the right to live even if she's "fake."

I more or less agree with all of this. Honestly, ending wise,
there is no totally good or totally bad end between those 2. Though the credits make it obvious (music wise) what is the canon/non-canon ending but if you think about it. It is like what you said, both situation has negatives/positives and there is no totally happy or sad, good or bad endings between those 2 endings.

Taruranto

The dimension thing is handled terribly, tbh.

"Some shady dude told us they are not real so we are going to blow them up, np".. wut? This is the same party that refused to sacrifice a continent in Xillia 1 and tried to find a middle-ground solution. On the top of that, Alt Milla existence proved these dimensions and the people in there are real as they come, so it's pretty fucking stupid.

Leila not bringing Agria with her from her chapter 2 is utter nonsense for example.

Varion

I cannot help but to think that Ludger just got shat on the entire adventure like I mentioned earlier, I don't like this true ending.
He really did.

True end spoilers:
I was enjoying the game well enough until the true end, but the ending itself was just awful. You spend the whole game doing all the twisted stuff Origin's trial asks of you, destroying all the other worlds and everyone in them, sacrificing Alt-Milla, even killing Julius to make the bridge, to the point where it felt like the game was just trying to be as depressing as possible... and then you head off thinking Origin's going to be the final boss because damn, after all that you need some kind of catharsis, some kind of release to make it feel like everything you did was worth it. And what do you get? You get Ludger dying too, and the characters who engineered the entire thing basically being portrayed as good guys. Bisley is the only one who seems to show any kind of resentment towards the spirits for all they've been put through, and yet he ends up being the obvious mentally unhinged big bad instead. He might have gone too far with Elle, but he was still right to be annoyed by the situation the Krusniks had been put in.

And as for the actual sacrifice part, it was hard to believe it was even the same cast. Considering how much of Xillia was spent asking 'isn't there any other way?' when faced with a terrible decision, it was amazing how not even Jude ever asked that. Not once. Everyone just accepted Ludger's decision as if it was the same level of importance as going out for a walk or something. Elle's response was the only one that felt remotely in character...just like she was the only one at all upset when Alt-Milla sacrificed herself. It was like the writer had that 'Ludger or Elle, pick one' in mind from the start, and minor details that might get in the way of that like the characters' personalities being remotely consistent was just just disregarded, and they ended up becoming magically desensitised to everything up to and including destroying entire worlds full of people over and over whenever the plot demanded it.

I'm not inherently against 'depressing' sacrifice endings if it feels it was necessary and worthwhile, like they died for something. That wasn't the case in Xillia 2; Ludger basically died to bring an end to a ridiculous game started by the three spirits, who weren't so much as criticised for their actions -- hell, Origin literally stands there saying 'Well you'll just have to keep proving yourselves to me, won't you?' as Ludger's dying, as if to rub it in a bit more, to which Jude subserviently responds 'Of course.' Ugh.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out there, going off memory for a game I haven't played in almost two years.

I believe clearing it completely is part of the endgame objective too. I am 2 chapters away from finishing the game and I just broke the 1,000,000 milestone LOL. Still 19,000,000 to go.
I'm believe I'm 2 chapters away from finishing as well and 17,000,000 to go, it's really daunting even though money comes easily. Hopefully the elite monsters don't dry up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So I've heard rumors going around that Bisley
is Julius and Ludger's father? Victor mentions that he killed his brother and father for the power he has, which means his father was still alive at the time he was Ludger's age, and Bisley has Chromatus powers and a vendetta against the Kresnik clan's curse. There's also a timeline floating around on his past and how he came to father Julius through his maid and Ludger through his tutor.

He really did.

True end spoilers:
I was enjoying the game well enough until the true end, but the ending itself was just awful. You spend the whole game doing all the twisted stuff Origin's trial asks of you, destroying all the other worlds and everyone in them, sacrificing Alt-Milla, even killing Julius to make the bridge, to the point where it felt like the game was just trying to be as depressing as possible... and then you head off thinking Origin's going to be the final boss because damn, after all that you need some kind of catharsis, some kind of release to make it feel like everything you did was worth it. And what do you get? You get Ludger dying too, and the characters who engineered the entire thing basically being portrayed as good guys. Bisley is the only one who seems to show any kind of resentment towards the spirits for all they've been put through, and yet he ends up being the obvious mentally unhinged big bad instead. He might have gone too far with Elle, but he was still right to be annoyed by the situation the Krusniks had been put in.

And as for the actual sacrifice part, it was hard to believe it was even the same cast. Considering how much of Xillia was spent asking 'isn't there any other way?' when faced with a terrible decision, it was amazing how not even Jude ever asked that. Not once. Everyone just accepted Ludger's decision as if it was the same level of importance as going out for a walk or something. Elle's response was the only one that felt remotely in character...just like she was the only one at all upset when Alt-Milla sacrificed herself. It was like the writer had that 'Ludger or Elle, pick one' in mind from the start, and minor details that might get in the way of that like the characters' personalities being remotely consistent was just just disregarded, and they ended up becoming magically desensitised to everything up to and including destroying entire worlds full of people over and over whenever the plot demanded it.

I'm not inherently against 'depressing' sacrifice endings if it feels it was necessary and worthwhile, like they died for something. That wasn't the case in Xillia 2; Ludger basically died to bring an end to a ridiculous game started by the three spirits, who weren't so much as criticised for their actions -- hell, Origin literally stands there saying 'Well you'll just have to keep proving yourselves to me, won't you?' as Ludger's dying, as if to rub it in a bit more, to which Jude subserviently responds 'Of course.' Ugh.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out there, going off memory for a game I haven't played in almost two years.

G1riOId.gif

So I got screwed over on character episodes cause I didn't think to check the world map before reading the letter-_-

They should've had a notice Or something saying that it would start the next chapter. Thankfully I've got a cloud save, now I gotta go back and play all of that.

ohlawd

So I got screwed over on character episodes cause I didn't think to check the world map before reading the letter-_-

They should've had a notice Or something saying that it would start the next chapter. Thankfully I've got a cloud save, now I gotta go back and play all of that.
it did, didn't it? there's a popup

I actually screwed up at the same place, missing out on character episodes. Was on auto pilot so I didn't read the text but I remember pressing yes and I went, "hand, why would you do that?"

Had to redo a boss fight but that's all
So I just got up to it again and it asks if I want to proceed with the main story, so I guess they did. But it should be more clear as even if you clear out the character episodes it'll ask that. Luckily I had a cloud save, otherwise I'd be pissed as my OCD with RPGs gets the best of me.

demidar

I actually screwed up at the same place, missing out on character episodes. Was on auto pilot so I didn't read the text but I remember pressing yes and I went, "hand, why would you do that?"

Had to redo a boss fight but that's all

Which chapter is that? I don't want to miss out on a character episode.

So is this
don't use chromatus more than 50 times
after you finish chapter 13 thing a major issue or is just trophy related? Like does this hinder you getting a better ending?

ohlawd

you guys are killing me here. I only posted that "make another save in case you screw up" bit to cover my ass

I always have multiple save files D:

Xenoflare

The dimension thing is handled terribly, tbh.

"Some shady dude told us they are not real so we are going to blow them up, np".. wut? This is the same party that refused to sacrifice a continent in Xillia 1 and tried to find a middle-ground solution. On the top of that, Alt Milla existence proved these dimensions and the people in there are real as they come, so it's pretty fucking stupid.

Leila not bringing Agria with her from her chapter 2 is utter nonsense for example.

she can't even if she wanted to, Alternate Milla came out of the fractured dimension because of Elle. The game indeed did a terrible job handling it, the effect of fractured dimensions is never fully seen in game besides the "it's really bad" talk.

Xenoflare

is Julius and Ludger's father? Victor mentions that he killed his brother and father for the power he has, which means his father was still alive at the time he was Ludger's age, and Bisley has Chromatus powers and a vendetta against the Kresnik clan's curse. There's also a timeline floating around on his past and how he came to father Julius through his maid and Ludger through his tutor.

I recall hearing the same, alas I don't have any proof to back it up. It does make sense though, since Victor implied it.

Xenoflare

He really did.

True end spoilers:

I completely agree
the ending kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth, it almost reminded me of Mass Effect 3, (Jesus hell Origin). And yeah, I'm not against depressing endings as long as it's done well, and I don't think that is the case for Xillia 2, I don't find any good reason to keep Elle when I destroyed many, many other worlds with real people in it. Sure she's been with us not fighting and children dying is bad.... But hey, what about those perfectly fine worlds you shattered? Everyone died there. Sure, the central theme is "would you destroy an entire world for a girl?" But the game did a terrible job convincing me to do it.

With that said, this is still probably one of the best tales of I played. I guess the reason behind my rather harsh opinion is because I love it.

Slair

I don't know if it's been said, there is a lot of scary white text peppering most of these pages. How do you get the true ending you guys are talking about? No spoilers of course, I know there is a choice at the end, is it just one of them is the right choice or is the true ending something completely separate from those choices? Thanks in advance.

The boss at the top of Helioborg hurt a lot, even on Moderate when it does the repeated slam attack that does full damage even if you're on the ground.

man, i had to do this boss fight more than ten times on hard until i learned to do melee all the way with the guns and weapon switch to the blades and spammed the elemental attacks.

I don't know if it's been said, there is a lot of scary white text peppering most of these pages. How do you get the true ending you guys are talking about? No spoilers of course, I know there is a choice at the end, is it just one of them is the right choice or is the true ending something completely separate from those choices? Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know this as well. Absolutely no spoilers as I want to experience/learn of things for myself.

3Kaze

I recall hearing the same, alas I don't have any proof to back it up. It does make sense though, since Victor implied it.

Yeah, it's official. http://kakoimamirai.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-clan-of-kresnik.html (spoilers of course)

YES... I was without TV for the whole week and was dying to start playing this, got my new TV today and started the game :D

Hmmm.. did I forgot how TOX looked like or they DID improve the graphics in this one?

Top Bottom