• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Taruranto

I really don't get all the complaints about things being recycled, it is a direct sequel after all.

1) The areas in Xillia were already bad, having to go through them again it's a chore 2) No one told them they had to use ALL OF RIEXE MAXIA AGAIN, they could easily have most of the game in Elympios (btw, Elympios connection areas suck too) 3) They were reaaaally lazy with the old areas. Literally nothing is changed. Take FFX-2 for example, when you visited an old zone you could see how things changed after 2 years. Here I could post a Xillia 1 screenshot and no one would see the difference!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
8-4 LTD sucks!

Just watched the Japanese version of a scene I just saw and "..." got translated to a cuss word for the main character. Yeah, that silent protagonist was totally me there, right? No.

This happens in multiple instances where the JP Ludger remained silent but in the ENG version there are words. It's an intentional change to alleviate many of the criticisms the game had prior to the western release.

Xenoflare

8-4 LTD sucks!

Just watched the Japanese version of a scene I just saw and "..." got translated to a cuss word for the main character. Yeah, that silent protagonist was totally me there, right? No.

It's not like the Japanese version did a better job with it, the silent protag for Xillia 2 is fundamentally flawed

I like Ludger a lot better with slicked back hair. Multicolored hair over the eyes just doesn't work for a 20-year-old in a technologically advanced world IMO.

You'd think if Namco wanted him to be a shell for the player they would have gone with a little simpler haircut and outfit. Not that I can complain too much about the character design.

Hey, whoa. As a 30 year old man with multicolored hair over my eyes in a technologically advanced world, me insultado.

This happens in multiple instances where the JP Ludger remained silent but in the ENG version there are words. It's an intentional change to alleviate many of the criticisms the game had prior to the western release.

It's still puzzling that they went in this direction at all. Silent protagonists haven't really been a thing in RPGs in years.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's still puzzling that they went in this direction at all. Silent protagonists haven't really been a thing in RPGs in years.

There's nothing wrong with silent protagonists. The problem is that Ludger has a clearly defined character but is not able to express them. The problem is flawed not fundamentally but on a layered level.

Seda

There's nothing wrong with silent protagonists. The problem is that Ludger has a clearly defined character but is not able to express them. The problem is flawed not fundamentally but on a layered level.

Tales is also largely cinematic now + all the skit interactions. Pretty different from, say, Ys Memories of Celceta.

Hugstable

Banned

All the best JRPG protags are always silent though! Yu is still pretty recent and all he says is "PERSONA"!

Still the best JRPG lead I've seen in awhile was Stocke from Radiant Historia, but Ludger looks pretty cool as well. Also to those wondering why I asked about recycled areas, just wanted to know what I'm gonna get into before playing the game, since I just beat Xillia 1 pretty recently and it's still pretty fresh. But then it's the battles and the cast of characters that usually matter to me most when it comes to Tales of games.

Xenoflare

All the best JRPG protags are always silent though! Yu is still pretty recent and all he says is "PERSONA"!

Still the best JRPG lead I've seen in awhile was Stocke from Radiant Historia, but Ludger looks pretty cool as well. Also to those wondering why I asked about recycled areas, just wanted to know what I'm gonna get into before playing the game, since I just beat Xillia 1 pretty recently and it's still pretty fresh. But then it's the battles and the cast of characters that usually matter to me most when it comes to Tales of games.

To counter your point, Yu is a terrible player insert (this is what silent protags tries to accomplish) because he has a pre-established character, most choices aside from the social link ones are mostly moot and everyone would go OH GAWD SEMPIE YER SEW COOL throughout the game.

Also, in Arena, the Anime and PQ if you choose the P3 side, he will be given a pre-established character with a default name and is fully voiced.

Not to mention the weird shift of the silence from Tatsuya to Maya throughout the P2 duology, that is just plain awkward, especially in flashback scenes in P2EP

Yes I have a bone to pick with silent protags

As it's been said, it's awkward to have an established character as a silent protagonist. I don't think it's a good fit for Tales of, a series that prides itself on plentiful interaction between the main cast members.

There are many games where you can choose your own answers but still have the main character fully voiced. I think that's the route they should have taken, but what's there isn't entirely bad. The dialogue choices make for some interesting situations and I wouldn't mind seeing it return in a future Tales of game as long as the main character is fully voiced.

Xenoflare

As it's been said, it's awkward to have an established character as a silent protagonist. I don't think it's a good fit for Tales of, a series that prides itself on plentiful interaction between the main cast members.

There are many games where you can choose your own answers but still have the main character fully voiced. I think that's the route they should have taken, but what's there isn't entirely bad. The dialogue choices make for some interesting situations and I wouldn't mind seeing it return in a future Tales of game as long as the main character is fully voiced.

This, giving a ton of dialogue choices=/=silent protagnists.

And hell, games like Ys doesn't even have much choices but it came with a silent protag since day 1, and it's not bad BECAUSE it had no dialogue choices.

It's not like the Japanese version did a better job with it, the silent protag for Xillia 2 is fundamentally flawed

For that scene I would've taken the dot dot dot and the audible sigh instead. But now that I feel a little disconnect with him, I would've preferred if he just talked the whole game now.

Oh well, whatever.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do you get into the ex dungeon?
What's a good level to be at for clearing the top tier tag match in arena? (I think it's called elite or ex...)
Also, what do you have to do to unlock the full power of the devils arms? (you get these in arena correct?)

Reveirg

I think the characters in this game like getting stronger, but I'm not QUITE sure yet.

I'm so addicted to this game, despite the irritating rehashing of, well, everything from Xillia 1. If anything, this gets me even more hyped for Hearts and Zestiria.

Huh, so that was a localization change. A good one too. With the voice option on, I have little criticism of how Ludger is written, I think his character works pretty well.

PKrockin

Ugh I'm on the edge of either buying this or Neptunia Re:Birth right now. I love Tales, but I'm worried about everything being recycled in this game and I just finished Xillia 1 not that long ago so it's still fresh, but I love the battles of the first game and the cast (Leia still the best <3). Then again I've never played a Neptunia game before and don't really know what to expect from those games, but I've heard then are fun RPG that spoof gaming companies and stuff. Just need something to tide me over to Danganronpa 2 next week and don't know which game I want to jump on yet.
If you like harem anime go for Neptunia, if you like gameplay or story go for Tales.

Hugstable

Banned
If you like harem anime go for Neptunia, if you like gameplay or story go for Tales.

I've already made my decision on that haha. I'll probably check out Neptunia if it ever goes on a deep sale, but just saying harem really kinda discouraged me from wanting it now -____-. Plus I forgot I still had another Vita RPG I've yet to finish with Atelier Totori. Gonna be getting Xillia to tide me over to DR2 next week.

ohlawd

I've already made my decision on that haha. I'll probably check out Neptunia if it ever goes on a deep sale, but just saying harem really kinda discouraged me from wanting it now -____-. Plus I forgot I still had another Vita RPG I've yet to finish with Atelier Totori. Gonna be getting Xillia to tide me over to DR2 next week.

wait, you got Totori to finish? Beat that. Atelier games should always take priority.

Unless it's vanilla Rorona or Ayesha.

when is Neptunia a harem game? Isn't the main cast composed of all girls?

Vylash

wait, you got Totori to finish? Beat that. Atelier games should always take priority.

it's never a harem so anyone who describes it as one probably hasn't played it

PKrockin

I don't mean it in a literal sense. The cutscenes I've watched look like they were taken right out of a harem anime. If you like the badly written over the top pandering and the kawaii waifu factor you'll probably like Neptunia. Granted I've never played it due to my healthy sense of self preservation :p

I just said if you like harem anime play it. I didn't say it literally was one.

Datschge

It's so inane that they still kept the rest of the voicing behind the NG+ wall though.

ohlawd

I don't mean it in a literal sense. The cutscenes I've watched look like they were taken right out of a harem anime. If you like the badly written over the top pandering and the kawaii waifu factor you'll probably like Neptunia. Granted I've never played it due to my healthy sense of self preservation :p

I just said if you like harem anime play it. I didn't say it literally was one.

yeah I know. so close though they really need that one guy so I can project myself in the game. Maybe then I'd be interested.

Finalow

I usually don't like silent main characters and in this case, yes, it doesn't work at all. really really bad.

recycling - not finished the game yet but so far a lot of the recycled areas are optional, if you want to just focus on the main story you can just avoid (most of) them.

I understand the complaints though, they weren't good areas to being with and it's ineed lazy.
even if it does make sense as "the world is the same, so are the locations" going through those areas again fighting the same bosses and (probably) the same monsters isn't really the best experience.

8-4 LTD sucks!
what? Since when 8-4 translated Xillia 2.

Imo the debt system is clearly used as a game design mechanic to restrict access to areas. The developer needed a tool that would have the player go through the world in a linear fashion again even though it was by design already mostly explored after Xillia 1. I don't consider it a bad idea per se, it's easy to play along with it and avoid most of its annoyances. But yes, its integration into the story is silly and the presentation of the mechanic comes across as arbitrary and opaque, kind of similar to e.g. how abilities are inanely locked away in Metroid Other M (compared to the somewhat more natural approaches in the other Metroid games).
um, I didn't think about that and you're probably right. although you can say that there are way better ways to restrict access to areas.
I'm not sure how it is late-game but when the "next payment" isn't huge, the lady calls you a LOT, like, every time you hit X gald (today for me it was 40k), which happens a lot unless you spend money even when you don't need to. you basically have to pay her for no reason other than "jesus christ maybe she'll stop calling me with this, I hope" - you have to waste money, or don't report quests or find some ways to avoid the annoyance. and since in this game money isn't a problem at all, you understand that she can call you a lot. if they just made her call you when you actually need to progress, it would have been bearable. you want to give her money for the rewards? Press L2, you can.

it's not as bad as Ludger being silent but it still is an awful mechanic.

did anyone get the platinum? Now that I read the battle challanges [...]
is there a better guide than this for them?
anyone?

Mayzism

Neo Member
Ludger's debt was paid off by spirius corp when he was promoted to vice president.... I still haven't beat the game. I had trouble beating the CEO after Chronos that I gave up for now since I have to work in the AM. But I only actually worked off 2 mil of debt, they paid off the 18 mil.

FSLink

Banned
Ludger's debt was paid off by spirius corp when he was promoted to vice president.... I still haven't beat the game. I had trouble beating the CEO after Chronos that I gave up for now since I have to work in the AM. But I only actually worked off 2 mil of debt, they paid off the 18 mil.

You still have to pay it back, but it's at your own pace now. Nova won't bug you about it anymore. It's worth doing for the skillbooks and stuff you get as rewards...the reward for paying off the debt is terrible though IMO.

Hugstable

Banned
Gonna have the game downloading overnight so I can finally try it out in the morning. Did they improve upon the leveling system at all (Lilium Orbs? I actually liked how they did it and would've liked to see that same system just with improvements) Been pretty in the dark on the game in terms of finding out what's new and stuff. I still have no clue what this debt system I keep hearing about is haha. I'm gonna be getting extorted for all my cash throughout the game aren't I -___-

Am I the only one expecting a Dark Souls NPC to pop up everytime this song plays?

Yeah it actually does sound a bit like Majula from Dark Souls 2.

I'm pretty sure they did Abyss too, and NieR, among many other games.

They also did Fire Emblem Awakening I think.

Reveirg

Hmmm might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find Barnauer Highroad, yet I see plenty of quests there. How do I reach that area?

Taruranto

Ch10 dungeon has some pretty cool visual.

On other hand, it appears some of my characters have already maxed some elements, what's up with that?

How do you get into the ex dungeon?
What's a good level to be at for clearing the top tier tag match in arena? (I think it's called elite or ex...)
Also, what do you have to do to unlock the full power of the devils arms? (you get these in arena correct?)
Beat the game, go to Trigleph and talk to Vera. She'll tell you about a disturbance in Drellin which removes the NPC blocking it. Good luck, it is extremely difficult even on easy.

Tag team EX matches? Who you pick determines which boss you fight and the devil arms are given for that character. You must beat the EX dungeon to be unlock those bosses for the first time. Correct me if I'm wrong on this info.

No idea if you have to unlock them this time.

kewlmyc

Holy crap! I finally realized where Ludger's ringtone is from. How did I not recognize that sooner?

What is it? It sounds familiar, but can't put my tongue on it.

Also is the reward for getting your debt paid off just the cheesy hot spring cutscene, or is there more?

Finalow

since forever? 8-4 worked on Xillia 1 and they're in the credits for Xillia 2 as well.
I know that they translated Xillia 1 but Xillia 2 isn't listed here (I guess they didn't update it yet?) and they never mentioned it during their recent podcasts, so it seemed a little strange.
I didn't see the credits but if it's clearly written "localization by 8-4 LTD" or whatever, then I guess they did it.

demidar

I know that they translated Xillia 1 but Xillia 2 isn't listed here (I guess they didn't update it yet?) and they never mentioned it during their recent podcasts, so it seemed a little strange.
I didn't see the credits but if it's clearly written "localization by 8-4 LTD" or whatever, then I guess they did it.

It would seem weird for 8-4 to not localize it, given they've localized every Tales game except that new one on Vita and possibly Symphonia.

I opened up my manual to see if I could find them in the credits but they were so cheap that a credits section wasn't included.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody know if Leia can still get the Item Everyone/Multi-Item skill in this game? It's not on Alium Orb I think.

For anyone curious about the above, it's a skill tome for Leia. "Share the Wealth LE" from hitting 15,550,000 Gald paid off. :(

I LOVE silent Ludger and the fact that in my second playthough all my choices are voiced, is a novel concept, the thing i detested about other tales hero's in the games I've played aside from the first with good ol' Lloyd , is their personality..I feel like I'm shaping my character in a way where he isn't annoying.

Finalow

It would seem weird for 8-4 to not localize it, given they've localized every Tales game except that new one on Vita and possibly Symphonia.

I opened up my manual to see if I could find them in the credits but they were so cheap that a credits section wasn't included.
they didn't localized every tales of game but most of them, yes. still I thought that it wasn't them this time since I heard nothing about it and I didn't find their name anywhere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I LOVE silent Ludger and the fact that in my second playthough all my choices are voiced, is a novel concept, the thing i detested about other tales hero's in the games I've played aside from the first with good ol' Lloyd , is their personality..I feel like I'm shaping my character in a way where he isn't annoying.

Have you played Vesperia? Yuri is by far my favorite protagonist.

Just finished chapter 10.
That was the first world I felt bad about destroying. Listening to those memories and the kid just wanting to go outside again. =[

Top Bottom