• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

FSLink

Banned
Man Volt is bullshit on Hard or above. Playing him on Unknown and he's random as fuck, and I know how the weakness system works and how effective Bullet Fiesta is. It doesn't matter when he decides to randomly splash on all my party members.

RangerBAD

Man Volt is bullshit on Hard or above. Playing him on Unknown and he's random as fuck, and I know how the weakness system works and how effective Bullet Fiesta is. It doesn't matter when he decides to randomly splash on all my party members.

Oh, shit this game has Unknown difficulty? Just beat it to unlock? Does it carry over to to post game somehow?

FSLink

Banned
Oh, shit this game has Unknown difficulty? Just beat it to unlock? Does it carry over to to post game somehow?

Yeah it unlocks for post-game and it carries over to New Game Plus.

Managed to beat Volt, had to spam Crossfire to get Overlimit bar up quickly and spammed Mortar Fire and Bullet Fiesta. Elize and Jude were basically item bots for Alvin and Ludger. Setting Jude to do nothing but block helped.

so what is the point of affinities for non party members?

also, my questions from the previous page:

1. what is special about arcane arts compared to normal artes again?

2. any way to keep my team from constantly burning through TP?

Bladenic

Are there trophies that require you to main different characters, orr can you just use the same character the whole game?

There are titles that are unlocked when a character does their special skill like Jude's teleport step, and it's a lot faster to do controlling the character yourself than the AI.

FSLink

Banned
Man I love the weakness system so much. Also love that arcane artes do more damage if you do them after a chain of artes. Really adds some flexibility to the combat system in combos.

I think I like it better than Graces despite TP.

Nothing will top Destiny remake though, I preferred the CC system in that and the more flexible combos.

Do jobs reappear after you clear them? I keep trying to clear the board and new shit keeps popping up in areas i thought i already cleared.

Man I love the weakness system so much. Also love that arcane artes do more damage if you do them after a chain of artes. Really adds some flexibility to the combat system in combos.

I think I like it better than Graces despite TP.

Nothing will top Destiny remake though, I preferred the CC system in that and the more flexible combos.

And everyone having their own blast calibur/mystic arte bar.

Do jobs reappear after you clear them? I keep trying to clear the board and new shit keeps popping up in areas i thought i already cleared.

The normal white text jobs will respawn, there is no end to them. Complete them to earn medal points, but they can't be cleared forever.

Weird, it isn't there
If you quit one of those expendable endlessly respawning quests, it might not reappear.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah I think shared overlimit bars need to die.

It worked fine in Vesperia (especially the PS3 version where you can get up to 8 bars and distribute them around). Though Overlimit itself was overpowered in that game, haha. Spamming moves should have definitely not have been a Lv1 thing.

I think I'm more disappointed that there isn't dual mystic artes for every team combination (or at least the common ones, they couldn't do one for say Leia/Alvin, Rowen/Elize, Gaius/Muzet?), that would have been worth making the Overlimit bar a team thing.

demidar

It worked fine in Vesperia (especially the PS3 version where you can get up to 8 bars and distribute them around). Though Overlimit itself was overpowered in that game, haha. Spamming moves should have definitely not have been a Lv1 thing.

I think I'm more disappointed that there isn't dual mystic artes for every team combination (or at least the common ones, they couldn't do one for say Leia/Alvin, Rowen/Elize, Gaius/Muzet?), that would have been worth making the Overlimit bar a team thing.

Vesperia's distributed shared overlimit bar is a barely acceptable compromise.

Dual mystic artes for each character? There are 9 characters so that comes to 36 mystic artes if my maths isn't wrong, not counting individual mystic artes. Graces f had 7(8?) characters with 4 blast calibers + 1 Exceed blast caliber which comes to 35(40?) for reference.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Okay what the hell? so I have fought all the shadows in the ex dungeon but I have not been able to fight the final boss of the dungeon so how exactly am I suppose to fight these guys or how do I reach them specifically? I have already done the two request for the characters as well.

so what is the point of affinities for non party members?

also, my questions from the previous page:

1. what is special about arcane arts compared to normal artes again?

2. any way to keep my team from constantly burning through TP?

You need to get party member affinity to level 8 to take them with you into the
EX Dungeon
. They also give you things like arte/skill books for raising their level high enough.

1. Arcane arts deal more damage and can be linked into mystic artes during overlimit with a certain skill.

2. Other than making them not attack at all, no. Even when I tell them to conserve their TP at 25/50/75% they will still deplete it.

That's why I'm looking forward to Zestiria which seems to be using some kind of fast charging 4 sectioned bar for artes instead of traditional TP. Deplete-able resources and the AI in Tales games doesn't seem to mix well. Which is why I hope they step away from it for future games.

For the trophy for killing 18 gigant monsters in 2 minutes, is this talking about the elite monsters on the job board, or something else?

Soriku

On Hard I found Volt by himself not too bad except when he uses his laser beam attack which hits almost the entire battlefield. His slam attack is annoying, but manageable when he's on his own. Though it's bullshit when he does the slam like four times in a row.

Those two Djinns he summons are ridiculously annoying with their lightning spell though. Having them there and stunning the party is what makes the fight annoying.

Did you eat some defense food too?

Bladenic

EX Dungeon
. They also give you things like arte/skill books for raising their level high enough.

1. Arcane arts deal more damage and can be linked into mystic artes during overlimit with a certain skill.

2. Other than making them not attack at all, no. Even when I tell them to conserve their TP at 25/50/75% they will still deplete it.

That's why I'm looking forward to Zestiria which seems to be using some kind of fast charging 4 sectioned bar for artes instead of traditional TP. Deplete-able resources and the AI in Tales games doesn't seem to mix well. Which is why I hope they step away from it for future games.

For #1 that was Xillia. To use an MA in Xillia 2 you trigger it during over limit link arte. The arcane artes are just there.

For #1 that was Xillia. To use an MA in Xillia 2 you trigger it during over limit link arte. The arcane artes are just there.

I know but he was asking about arcane artes specifically. Mystic artes can be used the same way as they were in Xillia 1 if you have the "Special" AND "Single Artes" skills equipped.

RalchAC

EX Dungeon

Ai in Tales games doesn't mix well with anything. It can be dumb as hell sometimes. And I don't understand why there aren't strategy shortcuts like in Vesperia. It's not something that hard to implement, right? Changing everything manually is terrible and breaks the page if the battle.

FSLink

Banned
On Hard I found Volt by himself not too bad except when he uses his laser beam attack which hits almost the entire battlefield. His slam attack is annoying, but manageable when he's on his own. Though it's bullshit when he does the slam like four times in a row.

Those two Djinns he summons are ridiculously annoying with their lightning spell though. Having them there and stunning the party is what makes the fight annoying.

Did you eat some defense food too?

I didn't eat any defense food this time around, but I managed to do it just by spamming Mortar Fire or Bullet Fiesta Link Artes thanks to Crossfire building up meter fast at Lv1.

Yeah the trick is definitely to destroy the Djinn's as fast as possible, since although they don't do much damage on their own, their spells and lasers can keep you trapped and Volt can do his bullshit body slam.

Vesperia's distributed shared overlimit bar is a barely acceptable compromise.

Dual mystic artes for each character? There are 9 characters so that comes to 36 mystic artes if my maths isn't wrong, not counting individual mystic artes. Graces f had 7(8?) characters with 4 blast calibers + 1 Exceed blast caliber which comes to 35(40?) for reference.

Well I wasn't expecting one for every combination when the JPN game came out, but I hoped for one of each pair at least. :p Oh well.

Zafir

Ai in Tales games doesn't mix well with anything. It can be dumb as hell sometimes. And I don't understand why there aren't strategy shortcuts like in Vesperia. It's not something that hard to implement, right? Changing everything manually is terrible and breaks the page if the battle.

I always wondered where they went to myself. They were missing in Xillia too and it really bothered me. Used to use them a lot.

Cess007

This game is surprisingly darker and depressing. I've just finished Leia second personal chapter and damn, it was sad:
Seing Agria again, now all in a kind of tsundere friendship with Leia and knowing she will die it's depressing :(

aravuus

Wait so, there are multiple endings? I'd love to get them all, could I do it on one playthrough and if possible, could someone give me as non-spoilery guide for them as possible? I remember reading that you get
a joke ending or something if you pay back all the debt,
but that one I'm probably gonna skip.

Wait so, there are multiple endings? I'd love to get them all, could I do it on one playthrough and if possible, could someone give me as non-spoilery guide for them as possible? I remember reading that you get
a joke ending or something if you pay back all the debt,
but that one I'm probably gonna skip.

They can all be gotten in one playthrough and there's only one missable one. In Chapter
you must
refuse to do something several times.

For the rest,
there's two real endings you choose from after the final boss, and there are two joke endings, one for clearing all your debt, and one for beating the bonus dungeon.

I tried to be as vague as possible.

Finalow

that trophy for 450 transformations seems awfully long, more than it should have been probably. unless I'm missing some items/tricks for making it faster.

-

how do I get the bad and the true ending? I know that I have to make some specific choices in chapter 15 and 16 but I'd like to know which ones. just knowing if it's R1 or L1 should be fine.
edit: oh I didn't read the post above mine. how about the true ending though?

Mendrox

that trophy for 450 transformations seems awfully long, more than it should have been probably. unless I'm missing some items/tricks for making it faster.

-

how do I get the bad and the true ending? I know that I have to make some specific choices in chapter 15 and 16 but I'd like to know which ones.

You will get to the point and just know it. You have to basically press R1 about 8 times to get one ending. :)

Finalow

For the trophy for killing 18 gigant monsters in 2 minutes, is this talking about the elite monsters on the job board, or something else?
there is not trophy for that, it's just a battle challenge. but yes, it's for those elite monsters.

You will get to the point and just know it. You have to basically press R1 about 8 times to get one ending. :)
that's the bad ending I presume? Ok.

aravuus

They can all be gotten in one playthrough and there's only one missable one. In Chapter
you must
refuse to do something several times.

For the rest,
there's two real endings you choose from after the final boss, and there are two joke endings, one for clearing all your debt, and one for beating the bonus dungeon.

I tried to be as vague as possible.

Thanks! Couldn't ask for a better explanation, really

Is there a point to affinities for NPCs like Elle and Julius?

If you get Elle, Julius or Bisley's affinity high enough, you can get a weapon in your mailbox late in the game.

Fun note: You WILL need to do a new game+ and carry over affinities for Elle's affinity weapon cause the required amounts of points is too high for one playthrough, lol

Their affinity rankings are hidden though, so you can never tell how much points you have.

kewlmyc

Is there a point to affinities for NPCs like Elle and Julius?

I don't think those characters have affinities.

You can check by going to Ludger's status screen and pressing square to see your current ones.

They do actually, they're just not shown. You get special weapons for reaching a certain amount of points with Elle, Julius, and Bisley. It's impossible to get the necessary amount with Elle in one playthrough, but it is possible with Julius and Bisley. All of this is according to the strategy guide.

EDIT: Dammit, dakkumauji.

aravuus

Chapter 12, here we go, I guess? Chapter 12 seems to pop up all the time in this thread as the one where shit hits the fan.

I still really like the game but damn, the recycled content from ToX1 and huge amount of repeated content even then really drag the game down. I also highly dislike the pacing of the story thanks to the clear cut chapters, it's like half the time the world just freezes around you to wait for you to kill gigantos, do side stuff and finally tell Vera you're ready to continue. Removes all sense of urgency from the plot. I rarely complain about immersion or whatever, but the "do you want to continue the main story?" text box is one hell of a turn off for me.

I also like it when my JRPGs feel like adventures, like every earlier Tales game did. You travel to far-away lands, meet new people, etc. There's none of that in ToX2. Trigleph is your base of operations. You hang out around there, teleport somewhere to advance the plot, teleport back, hang out a bit. Rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile, Elle just keeps getting better. Elle yeah, motherfuckers

e: oh yeah, and fuck the "world map" indeed. i literally sprint through them now, they're so boring

e2: okay yes holy shit chapter 12 haha, definitely didn't see this coming

Pachimari

So I'm playing through Tales of Xillia 1 and wow is this fantastic so far! I just learned about Links between characters.

I can't let go of this game at the moment and it's my first Tales of game. Might get Xillia 2 sometime soon.

CentroXer

Banned
So I'm playing through Tales of Xillia 1 and wow is this fantastic so far! I just learned about Links between characters.

I can't let go of this game at the moment and it's my first Tales of game. Might get Xillia 2 sometime soon.

wow, Xillia 1 is your first tales of game and you love it? Xillia 1 is considered among the weaker in the main series.

Play Tales of Symphonia 1, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia after ToX. You will say wow.

Vylash

You picked a great place to start, it's the best Tales game to date

I had problems with him on moderate lol. Forced me to have to rely on items. I am thinking about just playing on normal first, but the difficulty curve is weird and normal is way too easy.

aravuus

Xillia 1 best Tales game?! I know opinions and all but...

And I think Symphonia is shit

The only objectively negative thing about Xillia 1 was its rushed ending, and even then it wasn't bad. Like Chacaracdaracx (gr8 username br0) said, why dismiss it?

RalchAC

This game is surprisingly darker and depressing. I've just finished Leia second personal chapter and damn, it was sad:
Seing Agria again, now all in a kind of tsundere friendship with Leia and knowing she will die it's depressing :(

Yes. This game is making me feel like a bad person. Chapter 6 made me feel quite guilty and Leia's chapter 2 was great too.

The chapter feel a lot better in this game in general. I hope they keep those "character chapters" in Zestiria (well, unless character are as bad as in Graces. In that case I hope they won't exist XD)

I'd say play other game before jumping onto Xillia 2. If you have a 360 Tales of Vesperia is great (insert avatar quote here). The former reuses a lot of assets and stuff from the original, so it'd be nice if you space both for a while.

wow, Xillia 1 is your first tales of game and you love it? Xillia 1 is considered among the weaker in the main series.

Play Tales of Symphonia 1, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia after ToX. You will say wow.

Nah, Xillia 1 is pretty good. I recommended it to a friend of mine as an entry point to the series (since it's in Spanish) and he loved it. IMO the people that find it "weak" are mostly Tales fans since we are used to certain things that were missing in Xillia. Like post-game content, a decent crafting system and loads of free costumes (I remember Vesperia having a ton of costumes, but most are paid DLCs nowadays, sadly D:).

If you haven't played older games, you won't missed them so much. Probably.

Xillia 1 best Tales game?! I know opinions and all but...

That crown belongs to Vesperia, obviously. But Xillia 2 could perfectly become a kind of close second for me. I still need to buy that Tales of Symphonia Collection but so far I think my ranking is: Vesperia, Xillia 2, Xillia, Graces, Eternia and Abyss.

aravuus

CentroXer

Banned
And I think Symphonia is shit

The only objectively negative thing about Xillia 1 was its rushed ending, and even then it wasn't bad. Like Chacaracdaracx (gr8 username br0) said, why dismiss it?

Xillia 1 had some problems going on since it was actually incomplete(elympios section of the game is laughable short). The world is barren with very few sidequests to do. The overuse of collecting materials is quite tiresome and the battle system, while ok cant hold a candle to Graces F.

I consider it an okay Tales game, but Vesperia destroys it.

after being burned by Symphonia, Abyss, and Graces, I was completely ready to ignore the franchise forever before Xillia saved me

If there is a game that saves the Tales of series, it is Vesperia. Fantastic game from start to end.

Top Bottom