• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Dice//

Banned
Yeah, nothing against not wanting to do a world map, but Xillia's implementation has been lackluster. I even preferred Graces f's corridors to Xillia's fields because at least you got some great views.

For lack of better words....and I can go on about it all day....

But Xillia's "world map"? I fucking hate it.
How that was ever a good idea to have the game take place in an RPG'd "grand canyon" is an unbelievably bad idea.

The most exciting thing you look at 90% of the time is a puddle.

FSLink

Banned
World Map or not, quick travel needs to be a standard.

Zesteria's locations look nice at least, but it's looking also somewhat empty from early trailers...we'll see how it turns out.

Also it seems Ludger yells out his Link Partner's name like the rest of the cast in New Game Plus. Kinda neat. "Jude!" I don't think there's any other voiced clips outside the voiced decision making.

demidar

For lack of better words....and I can go on about it all day....

But Xillia's "world map"? I fucking hate it.
How that was ever a good idea to have the game take place in an RPG'd "grand canyon" is an unbelievably bad idea.

The most exciting thing you look at 90% of the time is a puddle.

But it's a really cool puddle though...

FSLink

Banned
But it's a really cool puddle though...

I'm more upset at the reused ports in both games and the laughable excuse they used for "this ship has the same design as the last ship!" in this game, lol

I do think most of the new Elympios locations are real nice.

Despite my complaints I think this is probably my 2nd favorite Tales of overall.

Yeah, for what little there was it was a nice change of pace from Rieze Maxian towns.

Plus even new locations have fresh mutton!

demidar

I'm more upset at the reused ports in both games and the laughable excuse they used for "this ship has the same design as the last ship!" in this game, lol

I do think most of the new Elympios locations are real nice.

Yeah, for what little there was it was a nice change of pace from Rieze Maxian towns.

Soriku

I beat Volt on Hard. Fuck yeah.

Bullet Fiesta linked arte (Ludger's Rapid Burst + Alvin's Variable Trigger) is a necessity.

yami4ct

Finally got to see Milla again. Super glad. Maybe I'm alone on this, but she was by far my favorite character of Xillia 1, and perhaps one of my favorite characters of any Tales game. I absolutely love the journey they took her through in the first game and can't wait to see how they work Alt. Milla's life into the story.

Impressions from meeting her for like 5 minutes: Story changes to her seem interesting, fixed voice quality/no lisp is awesome and her new costume is loads better than her Xillia 1 nonsense (though the costume in the opening animation of X2 is easily her best).

RalchAC

Finished chapter 6 this morning. So far the story have been great, I'm really liking it and it makes me feel uneasy at times. Which is really cool in my book.

Muzet, Chronus and Volt have been the worst fights so far. Rowen never is on my team during magic heavy boys fights. I hate that. Chronus with his Tetraspell made me cry (most of the time I used free run since that key me avoid everything aside water which was the weakest of the bunch, I lost less Hp that way than using Magic guard lol). My neighbours could have called the police when I was fighting Muzet lol.

So far I think the game does a great job being a sequel. Things go faster and smother since they don't need to do much world building. Their interactions are better in this game, Elle is nice and the decision system, while awkward, has some really strong moments.

I didn't remember Rieze Maxia having those terribly ugly textures. World map is bad but we all knew that since that was a big problem in Xillia. Since I'm Grinding quests sometimes I just skip monsters during story chaoters. Mobs are dumb so it's easy.

I prefer Of Xillia orb than the one in this game. Maybe I'm a minority but I prefer knowing what I have ahead.

Finally got to see Milla again. Super glad. Maybe I'm alone on this, but she was by far my favorite character of Xillia 1, and perhaps one of my favorite characters of any Tales game. I absolutely love the journey they took her through in the first game and can't wait to see how they work Alt. Milla's life into the story.

Impressions from meeting her for like 5 minutes: Story changes to her seem interesting, fixed voice quality/no lisp is awesome and her new costume is loads better than her Xillia 1 nonsense (though the costume in the opening animation of X2 is easily her best).

Yeah. Her outfit is miles better in Xillia 2 than the original. In general I like new default costumes more than Xillia's.

Especially Leía. I really like the new one :)

galvenize

I'm just sad that my 5 year old PS3 is dying. Frame rate slows down when there are too many effects going on at the same time and in a action packed game like Xillia, it's a real let down. Prevents me from enjoying the game as much as I want to.

Finalow

I still remember the area before the dungeon of chapter 10, it's just a huge ugly texture copy-pasted all over the place.

Finished the game the other day, only have the bonus dungeon left I guess. Great game though, I enjoyed Xillia but it left much to be desired and this game pretty much solved that. The only two remaining issues are the world map is still kinda bad since there isn't really a real overworld and there's still a lack of real unlockable costumes and stuff, no jackets don't count. Other than that? Potentially the best Tales game, maybe.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the bonus dungeon. I'm not sure why I heard that this game had good post game content. It doesn't seem any better than what Xillia 1 had.

Jonnax

Found this Easter Egg on the job board:

xVCnkJc.jpg

A little message from Hideo Baba

Finalow

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the bonus dungeon. I'm not sure why I heard that this game had good post game content. It doesn't seem any better than what Xillia 1 had.
it's the same copy-pasted garbage ex dungeon? I asked yesterday but no one gave me an answer. : (

not really surprising anyway. I have a feeling that I won't get the platinum of this game.

Zafir

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll go for the plat either. I went for it on the first game, and enjoyed doing so, but this one seems kind of grindy.

it's the same copy-pasted garbage ex dungeon? I asked yesterday but no one gave me an answer. : (

not really surprising anyway. I have a feeling that I won't get the platinum of this game.

It's not recycled, it's just a bunch of glowy walkways against black backgrounds. The costumes you unlock have been the only interesting thing about it.

I think I'm going to give up on the platinum. At this point I just need to finish out this dungeon and grind a whole bunch, none of which is remotely compelling. And there are way too many other games I'd prefer to be playing.

Datschge

I think I'm kinda overlevelled, I'm cheesing every boss including the optional ones D:
Adapt your difficulty level regularly. (The Tales staff should consider looking at Sakurai's approach used in Kid Icarus Uprising and the upcoming Smash Bros'es, the latter even being done at their studios. =D )

Zafir

Man speaking of difficulty(ending spoils ahead)
they really don't make it easy to get the bad ending lol. I know I'm underlevelled due to getting bored of the side quests but jesus, they can just lock you into a corner and kill you in one combo. o_O I think I'm just gunna have to buy a bunch of those revival accessory's...

Edit: Beat it,
man that ending was not worth the annoyance that was the boss lol...

When do areas unlock tp send kitties to? I'm in Helioborg but it won't let me send kitties to Torbalan Highroad. I have like 4 contracts that require items from there.

Quick question. Was watching a review and it mentioned somewhere where you can turn Luger's voice on? Does that mean he does talk and there is no reason for him to be mute?

Zafir

Quick question. Was watching a review and it mentioned somewhere where you can turn Luger's voice on? Does that mean he does talk and there is no reason for him to be mute?
In new game plus you can apparently enable it. Though I don't think it adds anything, just the same choices/dialogue now voiced.

It's a new game+ option, and there is no reason for him to be mute at all in this game because his character is much better voiced,

What a stupid thing to omit on first playthrough. Seems there is absolutely no reason for it. I guess it could be worse. Namco could've made his voice paid DLC.

RalchAC

man even at lv27 Chronos was a pain, not having Elize hurts man, had to make leia do nothing but heal

The lack of Elize and Rowen in that fight really makes things harder. Locking characters can be pretty annoying at times, it's a shame they didn't keep the in-battle switching system. I loved it in the original Xillia.

I'm going through Chapter 7 right now, don't want a big spoiler. But I wonder how is Bamco going to handle when
prime Milla and cooking Milla finally meet
. She is supposed to be
locked somewhere if Chronos wasn't lying
. So we'll meet her sooner or later.

I've been toying for a while with the idea of what would happen if the party members meet
their fractured versions, tbh.

I'm really liking the character chapters. Leia's second character was really good D: But I hate
destroying worlds...

I'm about 5 hours in and good grief this is the most depressing game on the planet story-wise.

Yeah, it's quite depressing. But so far (for me) the story is really good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The difficulty curve is really odd in my opinion. Some bosses are quite tough, but most are a walk in the park.

I think the game got way easier once you can get the chromatus up to a second level. It's not uncommon to start a hard fight by immediately popping it, doing a lot of damage and ending in a mystic arte, then being close to doing another from the link gauge.

Some encounters are still hard, but that helps being able to cheese it a lot.

Zafir

I think the game got way easier once you can get the chromatus up to a second level. It's not uncommon to start a hard fight by immediately popping it, doing a lot of damage and ending in a mystic arte, then being close to doing another from the link gauge.

Some encounters are still hard, but that helps being able to cheese it a lot.

Well, I'm even taking into account that. Even when you upgrade it, it still has the odd difficulty curve.
Is there any reason to not pay back debts immediately when the window pops up?
To stop her from spamming you until you get near the payment amount again?

Zafir

If it's highlighted red then it should appear again straight away. The white ones however, you'd have to wait till it cycles on the board again which could be never. I never saw the white one I abandoned again.

chip123

I just beat chapter 11 at 38 hours, how much more is there? I've been doing as much of the job board, elite monsters and character stories as I can between each story chapter. Enjoying the game far more than Graces and Xillia.

Mohasus

Normal ending is better.

Anyway, omega uses only 1 linked arte during the overlimit, what a noob.
I wish I could combo like he does. So many bonus exp points.

what's special about arcane arts again? I totally forgot?

Also, are there any tips to maintaining healthy amounts of TP for the party? Seems like no matter what I do, they just constantly burn TP until they are basically empty...

Top Bottom