• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

kewlmyc

These videos make me realize how bad I actually am at Tales games

I just mash buttons on the regular difficulty and hope the enemies die before I do
You just need godlike reaction speed and memorization of what arts inputs do what. So pretty much the same skills needed for fighting games.

Soriku

Xillia 1 had a bunch of side events, but they mainly amounted to extra cutscenes. Which I didn't really mind tbh.

The battle system isn't as fleshed out as Graces but it's still very fun. Plus I like how it had aerial combos unlike Graces...

From a story/cast + battle system perspective the game was very good.

RalchAC

So many people with great taste here. I love that so many people loves Vesperia. Need to get a second hand 360 + the game in order to play it again. Or I could try to import it and use the english script.

You just need godlike reaction speed and memorization of what arts inputs do what. So pretty much the same skills needed for fighting games.

I suck at fighting games but I consider myself to be good at Tales games. Maybe I just don't have the patience to go through those games while I've spent hundreds of hours into the series.

CentroXer

Banned
Xillia 1 had a bunch of side events, but they mainly amounted to extra cutscenes. Which I didn't really mind tbh.

The battle system isn't as fleshed out as Graces but it's still very fun. Plus I like how it had aerial combos unlike Graces...

From a story/cast + battle system perspective the game was very good.

Playing Xillia 2 though makes you realize how much more there is to do in the sequel. Deeper battle system and more side stuff to do. And the cast is less annoying this time (thank god they toned down teepo this time)

It's definitely improved upon.

So many people with great taste here. I love that so many people loves Vesperia. Need to get a second hand 360 + the game in order to play it again. Or I could try to import it and use the english script.

well yeah Vesperia is the pinnacle of the series for me. And the graphics is amazing and puts Xillia to shame.

kewlmyc

I suck at fighting games but I consider myself to be good at Tales games. Maybe I just don't have the patience to go through those games while I've spent hundreds of hours into the series.

I meant more of what Omega was doing in the video that was linked last page.

I've just got a question for those who have finished? Chapter 15 spoilers.

I read in this thread that to not miss an ending, I just need to keep refusing to do something, that became clear as soon as I was required to kill Julius to create the soul bridge. So I did that and fought my entire party and got this bad ending (and felt like an asshole, it felt so wrong D: ) - after the credits I saved to a different slot and I got the trophies and titles for that ending. I then loaded the same one back up. The game recognises that I chose wrongly last time, and therefore it isn't the same as fighting Julius immediately as intended. Will this affect the ending I'm going to get in anyway? Should I just load up a previous file, read the letter again and then fight him first time? Or just continue with the file I've previously killed my party on? Thanks!

galvenize

I've just got a question for those who have finished? Chapter 15 spoilers.

I read in this thread that to not miss an ending, I just need to keep refusing to do something, that became clear as soon as I was required to kill Julius to create the soul bridge. So I did that and fought my entire party and got this bad ending (and felt like an asshole, it felt so wrong D: ) - after the credits I saved to a different slot and I got the trophies and titles for that ending. I then loaded the same one back up. The game recognises that I chose wrongly last time, and therefore it isn't the same as fighting Julius immediately as intended. Will this affect the ending I'm going to get in anyway? Should I just load up a previous file, read the letter again and then fight him first time? Or just continue with the file I've previously killed my party on? Thanks!

As far as I know it doesn't affect anything.

Pachimari

I'm buying a new Xbox 360 again to play games like Tales of Vesperia, Red Dead and Vanquish that I never got around.

What is the release order of the Tales games anyway?

The store had Symphonia and Xillia and I chose the latter based on the cover and back of the boxes alone.

RalchAC

I'm buying a new Xbox 360 again to play games like Tales of Vesperia, Red Dead and Vanquish that I never got around.

What is the release order of the Tales games anyway?

The store had Symphonia and Xillia and I chose the latter based on the cover and back of the boxes alone.

I played Vanquish last month on PS3 and it worked nicely. Dunno about RDR.

Here you have the release order, by the way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finished the game last night, after spending about 20 more hours on it over the weekend. I loved it.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

- Really, really liked the darker storyline. It was much more emotionally involving. I also thought the characters were great, pretty much across the board.
- Loved the combat. I didn't like that certain characters are useless for linked arts if you're rolling with the dual blades, but whatever.
- Didn't like the Allium Orb system. I never felt like I quite understood it, and I didn't like the lack of control over how your character develops, compared to Xillia 1.
- Waaaaay too much recycled content. Like 90% of the game was basically just Xillia 1. But when actually playing the game, it didn't bother me... oddly enough.
- The character chapters were great. Even though I was more than strong enough to finish off the game, I still wanted to see all the characters' stories through to the end.

I'm still kinda sad the game's over, but I felt like this was a really satisfying conclusion to Xillia. I hope Zestiria can live up to this.

Pachimari

Vesperia and Blue Dragon are the only 360 games i want, and i can't really justify buying a system for 2 games, might import the PS3 version or hope for a PS4/Vita port

Does the Japanese (or Asian?) PS3 version of Vesperia come with English subtitles? Or is my luck out on that? :(

Ehhh..... I don't think it's quite as difficult as you make it out to be. It mostly just takes memorization of which artes to link with which characters.

demidar

Ehhh..... I don't think it's quite as difficult as you make it out to be. It mostly just takes memorization of which artes to link with which characters.

I think he means mixing 12 different artes in a single combo, combining downing, knock up, aerial, force up properties all at once. Linked artes are pretty bad imo, there's no real skill to it, just memorization.

dorkkaos

I wish Tales of games had a training mode.. would be nice to practice some combos or test some new artes haha.

Enjoying the game lots! Loving the strategy guide (it finally came haha)

Finalow

Xillia 1 is good, solid bs and decent story/characters.
the shitty fetch/killing side quests were in every tales of game mentioned here, as far as I remember. so I don't really see the point of those complaints in comparison to other tales of. you also get more optional stuff as in any other game.

You need the battle challenges for trophies.
yes you do but I meant that there is no* trophy for that specific battle challenge. I thought that he was referring to that hypothetical trophy, not the battle challanges ones.

Playing Xillia 2 though makes you realize how much more there is to do in the sequel. Deeper battle system and more side stuff to do. And the cast is less annoying this time (thank god they toned down teepo this time)

It's definitely improved upon.
it's definitely an improvement on some aspects.
battle system is slighly better, giganto monsters are back and the characters episodes are pretty nice. I also like the (old) characters more.
-
can't tell about the story since I've yet to finish it. I'll probably wait to finish the game before commenting the last chapters, starting from 11 or so.

just a question so far,
divergence catalysts, they explain more about them later on? So far it's "use chromatus too much = become a catalyst." which wasn't really the case for most of the divergence catalysts that you fight.
edit:
I also didn't understand why Ludger has no powers, but then again I might have to play more chapters to get some answers.

nice combos.
I never practiced them in this game but it's definitely doable. you don't need to do it anyway.

kewlmyc

I think he means mixing 12 different artes in a single combo, combining downing, knock up, aerial, force up properties all at once. Linked artes are pretty bad imo, there's no real skill to it, just memorization.

Pretty much. Doing a 120 hit combo with minimum assistance from the AI on a boss that constantly breaks free from combos and has no weaknesses sounds pretty freaking hard, especially on hard mode. The one of the hardest bosses in the game died in two combos on hard mode.

Started playing with a buddy some early impressions

-Debt system isn't as bad as I feared
-Ludger being a silent protagonist hasn't been as awkward as I feared, I wish it wasn't this way, but he does have a decent amount of character that most scenes work well enough.
-New weakness system seems really over powered, only having to do one power hit before you can use any and every other type of damage to increase the combo seems really strong. The first boss and the first giant monster pretty much were wombo combo'd
-Not sure if Jude got nerfed or Ludger is just mad OP because Ludger runs laps around Jude in combat even with my not as good friend playing him (he was playing Jude but he sucks at healing so we had to switch)

Enjoying it so far, not going to play it by myself until I finish Trails, Persona 3, and Persona 4 (blahhh) but my friend and I plan to play once a week.

Soriku

I'm on chapter 5 and the debt system is a non-factor. Even when Nova pops up more often (when you have a good amount of money), just pay a big amount and she's gone. Equipment is cheaper compared to Xillia 1 and it's easy to make a lot of money without realizing it so the debt isn't an issue there. The debt menu interface is fast too, so it's easy to pay (or not pay) and get out.

The area restrictions aren't too bad and I don't mind being paced a bit in where I can go. Did you guys want to explore the fields in one go? :p In chapter 5 in particular a bunch of areas in Rieze Maxia have opened up anyway.

Finalow

Pretty much. Doing a 120 hit combo with minimum assistance from the AI on a boss that constantly breaks free from combos and has no weaknesses sounds pretty freaking hard, especially on hard mode. The one of the hardest bosses in the game died in two combos on hard mode.
you just have to learn the order of all those skills and not being slow or not screw up in the middle of the combo. I think that he planned those combos, so it's just a matter of memorization and being able to deliver the combo effectively.
this is what it seems from that video anyway, so I might be wrong since I don't know how he actually planned that. it also seems that the boss won't break from that unless you screw up the combos.

I'm curious now on how he did those chained attacks when he transformed.

Can somebody explain
Gauis'
partner skill to me. I'm off the starting blocks with everybody elses, in fact a lot of them already have the trophies (
Muzet's
took just 5 battles of spamming it to go from 0 to 450), but I've yet to activate his even once. I'm not sure if I'm doing something to block it activating, such as using knock back recovery will stop Jude using restore.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The part that wowed me the most with that video was how long he stayed in the air while transformed, I have the skill that makes the timer go down slower while doing that but I never actually figured out a way to make it useful like that.

I'm on chapter 5 and the debt system is a non-factor. Even when Nova pops up more often (when you have a good amount of money), just pay a big amount and she's gone. Equipment is cheaper compared to Xillia 1 and it's easy to make a lot of money without realizing it so the debt isn't an issue there. The debt menu interface is fast too, so it's easy to pay (or not pay) and get out.

The area restrictions aren't too bad and I don't mind being paced a bit in where I can go. Did you guys want to explore the fields in one go? :p In chapter 5 in particular a bunch of areas in Rieze Maxia have opened up anyway.

I mainly have an issue when I'm trying to not pay stuff off and she bugs the hell out of you. Even when you pay off the initial debt needed to progress, she will still keep setting new amounts and popping up.

I had a particularly annoying spot where I was actually doing a story mission and she was popping up nearly every screen sucking out 12K from me each time when I wanted to actually buy a bunch of stuff from the store afterwards.

As an actual progress block I don't have a huge problem with it, as I've never had any issues actually making the amount needed.

Can somebody explain
Gauis'
partner skill to me. I'm off the starting blocks with everybody elses, in fact a lot of them already have the trophies (
Muzet's
took just 5 battles of spamming it to go from 0 to 450), but I've yet to activate his even once. I'm not sure if I'm doing something to block it activating, such as using knock back recovery will stop Jude using restore.

I'm pretty sure his is that he appears and blocks an attack while you're being hit, and he strikes them back. I'm not sure how to really make it consistently trigger though.

And yeah, Muzet's was super easy since you can do it at your own leisure.

Finalow

The part that wowed me the most with that video was how long he stayed in the air while transformed, I have the skill that makes the timer go down slower while doing that but I never actually figured out a way to make it useful like that.
when you jump you can stay in the air for quite some time while attacking with X, provided that the enemy doesn't block or move. but for making it last that long or chain the whole thing to a 50 hits combo I think you need some specific inputs.

FSLink

Banned
you just have to learn the order of all those skills and not being slow or not screw up in the middle of the combo. I think that he planned those combos, so it's just a matter of memorization and being able to deliver the combo effectively.
this is what it seems from that video anyway, so I might be wrong since I don't know how he actually planned that. it also seems that the boss won't break from that unless you screw up the combos.

I'm curious now on how he did those chained attacks when he transformed.

The chain attacks was pretty much Dark Projection, aerial attack towards 1 or 2 times. There's a rhythm to it.

when you jump you can stay in the air for quite some time while attacking with X, provided that the enemy doesn't block or move. but for making it last that long or chain the whole thing to a 50 hits combo I think you need some specific inputs.

Well there's also a skill that extends Chromatus time if you're in the air iirc. With a long power combo before transforming they won't break out.

-New weakness system seems really over powered, only having to do one power hit before you can use any and every other type of damage to increase the combo seems really strong. The first boss and the first giant monster pretty much were wombo combo'd
-Not sure if Jude got nerfed or Ludger is just mad OP because Ludger runs laps around Jude in combat even with my not as good friend playing him (he was playing Jude but he sucks at healing so we had to switch)

Enjoying it so far, not going to play it by myself until I finish Trails, Persona 3, and Persona 4 (blahhh) but my friend and I plan to play once a week.

- It's not really overpowered, but you definitely have to take advantage of it on harder difficulties. Doing crazy combos and switching weapons is really fun, and I'm really enjoying the nuances on Unknown mode right now in New Game Plus thanks to it (despite me complaining about Volt a page or so back). I really like it since it's a bit more involving than Graces' weakness system. If you use an earth arte and your AI partners also use an earth spell it'll screw it up, so there's a lot more situational awareness, and having to vary your artes more.

- Jude was definitely nerfed, by end-game he was pretty fast but he's nowhere near as fast as end-game Xillia 1 Jude.

Papercuts

Yeah, it seemed like that dashing attack held the momentum in the air. Wonder if it's an L1 + _ modifier, I usually just go nuts in that mode and never really checked out what each input was really doing.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, it seemed like that dashing attack held the momentum in the air. Wonder if it's an L1 + _ modifier, I usually just go nuts in that mode and never really checked out what each input was really doing.

You can do jump and attack, or jump then hold up, down, or left/right to do other attacks. It's probably one or two of those then Dark Projection. Don't know off hand which one it is specifically.

Zafir

I didn't like it because it was being annoying and limiting your choice in what you spend your money on. Majority of the chapters I always had way more money than I needed for the next chapter. So I had to spend money even though I didn't really want to because otherwise Nova would just constantly spam you with the window which you can't quit out of. Even though I'd already given her enough for the next chapter. Not to mention the debt thing doesn't really add anything at all to the story. It's effectively there just to lengthen the game.

I agree the area restrictions aren't an issue though. It's not like any other tales of game allowed you to go everywhere from the beginning.

Hey guys, how do I beat that worthless purple fungus bag of fuck in Labari Hollow? I've been steamrolling Elite monsters up until now. He didn't kill me, but I returned to the title screen because this shit was taking too long, and his HP kept going up and down, up and down. It's frustrating.

Vylash

Hey guys, how do I beat that worthless purple fungus bag of fuck in Labari Hollow? I've been steamrolling Elite monsters up until now. He didn't kill me, but I returned to the title screen because this shit was taking too long, and his HP kept going up and down, up and down. It's frustrating.

I went through this and just came back near the end of the game, much easier then

Seda

Kill his spawns and he'll use up his HP to create more. And repeat.

Papercuts

I think I found something on GameFAQs of all places. It says to kill the copies in order to force weaknesses onto the main body, which is normally resistant to everything.

The clones have weaknesses but the main body never does, it loses health as it makes more.

At one point at the end the main body will be at 1hp and keep regening health if you hit it normally, so I did a mystic arte on it to finish it off.

Kill his spawns and he'll use up his HP to create more. And repeat.

The clones have weaknesses but the main body never does, it loses health as it makes more.

At one point at the end the main body will be at 1hp and keep regening health if you hit it normally, so I did a mystic arte on it to finish it off.

That makes sense. I let my party fight the copies and I was trying to hack away at the main boss. :(

Thanks guys.

Only kill one of his copies. If you kill both he will immediately make two more.

Use Power Charge 3 (hold block for 4.5 seconds) then chain up those artes for a big power hit/weakness combo. You can just free run away from his attacks.

EDIT: I guess I did it the hard way.

I just finished Chapter 14 and was wondering about how to continue one of the character stories.

I know at the end of Jude's most recent chapter he mentioned summoning Celsius at three locations. I haven't seen any jobs mentioning it, though. Do I still need to go to the spots first to continue Jude's story or will that happen in Jude's next chapter?

I just finished Chapter 14 and was wondering about how to continue one of the character stories.

I know at the end of Jude's last chapter he mentioned summoning Celsius at three locations. I haven't seen any jobs mentioning it, though. Do I still need to go to the spots first to continue Jude's story or will that happen in Jude's next chapter?
It's what will happen in his next chapter.

Zafir

I know at the end of Jude's last chapter he mentioned summoning Celsius at three locations. I haven't seen any jobs mentioning it, though. Do I still need to go to the spots first to continue Jude's story or will that happen in Jude's next chapter?

His next chapter.

How do i upgrade my item shop? In previous games it's always been straightforward, but im in chapter 6 now and still seeing the exact same crap at the shops.

Top Bottom