• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Bebpo

Banned
Of course there are fewer. Before DLC we got swimsuit/bath outfits in every 3d Tales. Now we have to pay for them :X

//unless they're unlockable in game for free as well...but at those prices I kind of doubt they are.

Zhund0r

Neo Member
Crap. How can I reactivate my japanese PSN account? I didn't touch it since the hack and the password recovery doesn't seem to work anymore :/ Please don't tell me I have to create another one...

Zhund0r said:
Crap. How can I reactivate my japanese PSN account? I didn't touch it since the hack and the password recovery doesn't seem to work anymore :/ Please don't tell me I have to create another one...
Try qriocity.com or whatever site Sony changed it to. I think they don't ask too many questions to change it

Zhund0r

Neo Member
DMPrince said:
Try qriocity.com or whatever site Sony changed it to. I think they don't ask too many questions to change it

They want to have the birth date and of course I didn't use my own because I thought it might be suspicious. Damn it. ^^

Bebpo said:
Of course there are fewer. Before DLC we got swimsuit/bath outfits in every 3d Tales. Now we have to pay for them :X

//unless they're unlockable in game for free as well...but at those prices I kind of doubt they are.

It looks like we might be getting oodles of silly hats instead?

kiryogi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm curious if there are, on average, fewer in-game costumes because of the DLC.

That would suck.

I am worried about that, but Team Symphonia titles tend to have a lot. So here's hoping.

Aeana: Yea and hopefully it makes them see the light about Vesperia.

Bebpo said:

Well its still possible there's spa outfits ingame, but yeah swimsuit D: But maid was usually ingame too. School wasn't... I can only hope.

InternHertz said:
I did get it on Tuesday morning, but haven't opened it yet, is the costume code on the slip on the right on your photo? Don't really want to open it that much, so if it is it's only a matter of opening the plastic bag and take it out for a few minutes.

Nope, that's a special cover for the backside. The code is on a small white slip of paper inside the case.

Aeana said:
Graces finally lets western gamers experience a superior Team Destiny combat system. It has the best combat in the series, so I'm really pleased that English only gamers will get to experience it. Hopefully reviews will highlight this, but I'm not confident about that,

I keep hearing about how amazing Team Destiny battle systems are, but never see anything in video that actually proves the point. Can anyone explain it to me? Because all I typically see in videos about Graces looks like de-evolution, where you're forced onto a straight line again with no awesome Free Run and mostly standing in the exact same spot with the occasional odd looking side-step thing, combined with Artes.

Maybe it's one of those things where you have to play it to understand. I have yet to, but I'm excited to try it out when it comes out here.

Huh, apparently the new Nintendo Power says that Abyss 3DS was pushed back to Q1 2012 in North America. That's a shame, I was looking forward to playing it this year :/

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Huh, apparently the new Nintendo Power says that Abyss 3DS was pushed back to Q1 2012 in North America. That's a shame, I was looking forward to playing it this year :/
Oh, I didn't know that. I really feel like NB in America is really slacking and not very good. They keep doing this kind of stuff and expect us to take it in the ass.

Rarutos

I hope that they're wrong. :(

Does it really take all that long to bring over a port of a game that's already localized I wonder...?

FSLink

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
I keep hearing about how amazing Team Destiny battle systems are, but never see anything in video that actually proves the point. Can anyone explain it to me? Because all I typically see in videos about Graces looks like de-evolution, where you're forced onto a straight line again with no awesome Free Run and mostly standing in the exact same spot with the occasional odd looking side-step thing, combined with Artes.

Maybe it's one of those things where you have to play it to understand. I have yet to, but I'm excited to try it out when it comes out here.
Team Destiny battle systems tend to be faster paced, same with the Mystic Artes in those games because they tend to flow much better into combos and are quick but flashy.
CC over TP also makes the games much more fun since you're not constantly pausing the game to use Orange Gels early on, or you have so much TP late game that spamming isn't an issue (Vesperia). It provides a nice balance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z5zKJP-a28

Tales of Destiny remake is usually consistently known for having the best battle system in the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z5zKJP-a28
Just VERY fast paced, and the speed compared to the original Destiny is crazy.

Team Destiny also isn't afraid to be a bit experimental, like with Tales of Destiny 2 and the having a player and enemy "zone", or Tales of Rebirth that has 3 lines to shift through.

_Xenon_

Banned
Man it's just depressing to think we probably have to wait another 2 years to play a localized version of this game.

Paznos

If it's taking them that long with Abyss then we won't have Graces F til the Fall :(

_Xenon_ said:
Man it's just depressing to think we probably have to wait another 2 years to play a localized version of this game.
I think that's exciting! What's depressing, and probable, is that you'll never play a localized version of this game.

Shitty, but not unexpected

It basically harpoons whatever chance that game had in the chest, though.

kiryogi

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:

Pretty tired so I'm not going to go in depth. But there is nothing awesome about Free Run, in fact, it's an abomination.

Zhund0r

Neo Member
Mandatory install (2,3 GB)! Hell yeah!

backxillia.jpg

Why does it say for Japan only?! It's for ENTHUSIASTIC Tales fans around the world, stfu! xD

kiryogi said:
Pretty tired so I'm not going to go in depth. But there is nothing awesome about Free Run, in fact, it's an abomination.

Has Free Run been confirmed to be in Xillia though? I don't think I've seen them do it in the trailers, other then the AI at least.

Maybe the enemies will be more aggressive or have better tracking on their attacks. Free run saved me so many times in Abyss and Vesperia.

Pretty funny when you can just juke enemies at the last second to avoid any damage. I can see why it would be a bad thing gameplay wise though.

Shouta

AlphaDragoon said:

Free Run isn't bad per se but the problem is that most Team Symphonia games, the ones that use free run the most, aren't designed around them and in general kind of just gets in the way of the game rather than add anything particularly useful. It would change if the design philosophy did but the basic idea remains so most of the time free run feels a bit bland.

Remember that Tales games runs on an action battle system that emphasizes combos. Free run typically actually slows down the combat because you usually move slow and it often can get in the way of doing combos on enemies. Graces F's sidestep is the serves the same function as a free run and it has the plus of being a defensive measure as well.

If positioning played a bigger role in Tales games, free run would be pretty nice but that isn't really what the teams are aiming for when they make these games.

kiryogi said:

I thought it was one of the best ideas they ever came up with. No longer do you have a "oh I'm a character who can't double jump so Sword Dancer's gonna rape me in the corner" situation. Or a "I could easily avoid this AoE magic spell simply by moving over that way a little bit, but the line I'm on offers me no possible way of moving out of it's path. Guess I'll just get hit and die".

In the 2D games it was understandable. The moment they went to 3D for battles not having a way to move through the space was unacceptable, IMO.

PoorFate said:
Maybe the enemies will be more aggressive or have better tracking on their attacks. Free run saved me so many times in Abyss and Vesperia.

Pretty funny when you can just juke enemies at the last second to avoid any damage. I can see why it would be a bad thing gameplay wise though.

This is exactly why I like Free Run. Things I know I can avoid, I can actually avoid. But this will be all I say on the subject, since I'm off topic somewhat. Thanks for the responses.

Seda

I like Free Run. Gotta turn up the difficulty though to compensate. Otherwise it makes the game too easy.

Tales games are some of the only games I play on the hardest difficulty the first time through.

EDIT: OIC in Tales of Graces, you can only free run for a little bit, and then must wait for a period of time before you can do it again. I like the idea.

kiryogi

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
I thought it was one of the best ideas they ever came up with. No longer do you have a "oh I'm a character who can't double jump so Sword Dancer's gonna rape me in the corner" situation. Or a "I could easily avoid this AoE magic spell simply by moving over that way a little bit, but the line I'm on offers me no possible way of moving out of it's path. Guess I'll just get hit and die".

In the 2D games it was understandable. The moment they went to 3D for battles not having a way to move through the space was unacceptable, IMO.

This is exactly why I like Free Run. Things I know I can avoid, I can actually avoid. But this will be all I say on the subject, since I'm off topic somewhat. Thanks for the responses.

Tales combat is based around the whole premise of Linear motion. If you wanted movement in 3D, that's more Star Ocean if anything. Around Step allows you the movement in a 3D space while adhering to the core gameplay, not to mention it's really effective for tactical evasion.

Seda said:
I like Free Run. Gotta turn up the difficulty though to compensate. Otherwise it makes the game too easy.

Tales games are some of the only games I play on the hardest difficulty the first time through.

EDIT: OIC in Tales of Graces, you can only free run for a little bit, and then must wait for a period of time before you can do it again. I like the idea.

I've said this before in the Graces topic, if you're using Free Run in Graces, you're doing it wrong.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm praying for a demo before the end of the month. The game itself would be day 1 import, but sadly I'll be far away from my PS3 for the next year, so I'll just buy it then.

salromano

Zhund0r said:
Mandatory install (2,3 GB)! Hell yeah!

[image]

Why does it say for Japan only?! It's for ENTHUSIASTIC Tales fans around the world, stfu! xD

I'm pretty sure all Japanese games say that on the back of the box.

2.3GB isn't so bad. I don't mind that.

matmanx1

So with reports of the First Print run being sold out I wonder if that means that the 500k number that was the estimated number of copies shipped will pretty much all be sold? Sounds like it could be close.

As of yesterday Gamestop did not have Tales of the Abyss listed for a 2011 release (and up until a month ago they did have it listed with the generic 11/1 placeholder date) because I went by and checked at my old workplace. Not that Gamestop is always right but it would back up what Lucky Number Seven Force posted.

For what it's worth they have Graces F listed as releasing on 2/8/12 which would be very reasonable. I just hope Graces doesn't get pushed to allow for the Tales of the Abyss release. And yes, it's beyond ridiculous that it's taking so long for the Abyss remake. I wonder if Europe is still on tap for a Nov release or if they got pushed also?

Datschge

kiryogi said:
But there is nothing awesome about Free Run, in fact, it's an abomination.
Word.

Look, the whole great thing about Tales battles are the LMBS (linear motion battle system, linear motion referring to the straight line between the player and the selected target). All the player's actions are done based on the target. If the controls are done correctly this gives the player the ability to make instant responsive movements, be they of offensive (attacks) or defensive (back step, around step) nature. Eternia was the first Tales game where this was realized perfectly. Its battle designer/programmer Tatsuro Udo created polished experimentations of this solid base in the later "Team Destiny" games, Graces being the first realization in 3D.

The first thing "Team Symphonia" did was throw out LMBS out of the window. In Symphonia enemies were allowed to "free run" while players were stuck to the straight line between the player and the target. To "fix" this LMBS was broken even more in Abyss by allowing the player to free run as well. Why is free run an issue within LMBS? Free run ignores the target. The player is allowed to move the character into positions where the target is no longer in front, essentially taking away responsive offense and defense actions toward the target from the player. Abyss also showed the broken nature of free run if its speed is not balance to the enemies attacks (especially slow magic attacks). It's only the latter problem they "fixed". The internal inconsistency of having non-linear motions in LMBS is still there, apparently even in Xillia (if around step is indeed not included at all).

What sours the "Team Symphonia" battle experience even more in addition to the above is the kind of conservative design they keep applying (hello there 1998's face chat system). In the games Tatsuro Udo worked on every next game had completely different mechanics to which the battle system adhere to. The closest are Destiny PS2 and Graces, "Team Symphonia" on the other hand takes 1995's TP, some basic 2002's overlimit-esque take to execute Mystic Artes, and some additional gimmick. The biggest change to the core mechanics so far was the Artes Ball added in Vesperia PS3, allowing unrestricted combo sequences. A very "Team Symphonia" thing to do, throwing a new feature on the top of the pile and call it a day instead making sure the whole system works in a more consistent way. Now Artes Ball returns Xillia, and AC is the new crown on the top of the old pile. That said the additional gimmick Link Mode looks rather nice, I just hope it's balanced and enemies can do it as well.

xero273

kiryogi said:
What's this... Free DLC?! Recolors :O Folks @ Abyssal Chronicles were able to dig this up on the flash site.

well namco has to get you hooked onto that dlc somehow so you can buy it.... it's like a drug....

kiryogi

Banned
I'm already planning to get most of the DLC D: It's nice that they're tossing us a bone. But I'm really wondering what outfits are going to be available in game.

I can get behind costume DLC, especially if it's an alternate way to obtain costumes otherwise obtained through easy to miss sidequests.

I'm looking at you, Dark Enforcer. >_>

FSLink

Banned
Datschge said:
What sours the "Team Symphonia" battle experience even more in addition to the above is the kind of conservative design they keep applying (hello there 1998's face chat system). In the games Tatsuro Udo worked on every next game had completely different mechanics to which the battle system adhere to. The closest are Destiny PS2 and Graces, "Team Symphonia" on the other hand takes 1995's TP, some basic 2002's overlimit-esque take to execute Mystic Artes, and some additional gimmick. The biggest change to the core mechanics so far was the Artes Ball added in Vesperia PS3, allowing unrestricted combo sequences. A very "Team Symphonia" thing to do, throwing a new feature on the top of the pile and call it a day instead making sure the whole system works in a more consistent way. Now Artes Ball returns Xillia, and AC is the new crown on the top of the old pile. That said the additional gimmick Link Mode looks rather nice, I just hope it's balanced and enemies can do it as well.
Yeah, and don't forget their love of limiting the battle system severely at the beginning. You can't free run at the beginning of Abyss? You can't even use Backstep or Advancing Guard right away in Vesperia? And you can't use items on other party members until you get Item Thrower? It's really silly, and it's really artificial depth to limit the battle system like that.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
That color scheme works well for the loli
Yah, I think I'm gonna go with the green alt for Elise and Red for Jude.

FSLink said:
Yeah, and don't forget their love of limiting the battle system severely at the beginning. You can't free run at the beginning of Abyss? You can't even use Backstep or Advancing Guard right away in Vesperia? And you can't use items on other party members until you get Item Thrower? It's really silly, and it's really artificial depth to limit the battle system like that.
It's always going to come down to this until other folks have played a TD or Team Destiny game. . . I've said it before, but I hope with Graces F that domestic folks realize how horrid Vesperia was.

kiryogi

Banned
I guess the whole first shipment thing is for real. NCSX posted this on the 1st:

Update: September 1, 2011 9:00AM
We are presold out of our first shipment of this game; new orders placed after the above time stamp will ship on or around September 15, 2011 when second shipment is expected

Great to know so many folks are importing.

rykomatsu

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujibiji/index.html#infomax-top

No spoilers...looks great imho. Gameplay doesn't start until ~5 min in or so.

Baba talks about the camera function...free rotation unlike the locked camera angles of past. It's hard to determine whether it's just horizontal rotation or vertical as well....maybe y'all knew about it already, but new to me :p

kiryogi said:
I guess the whole first shipment thing is for real. NCSX posted this on the 1st:

Or NCSX's allotment sold out...either way a good thing imho.

matmanx1

I think I saw a page or so back where someone mentioned the same scenario from AmiAmi. Initial shipment was sold out and expected ship date would be when the 2nd batch came in. Again, this could just be the story for isolated web sites who export the game while the actual brick and mortar stores have a surplus but it is at least an encouraging sign.

I got my Five LE in yesterday. I'm really impressed with the packaging (although my wife was less than impressed with the mini poster of Milla in her bunny outfit!) although I haven't listened to it yet.

Aeana

kiryogi said:

Great to know so many folks are importing.
Play Asia closed preorders for the Asian version, too. Although they're still taking orders for the Japanese version, it seems.

Aeana said:
Play Asia closed preorders for the Asian version, too. Although they're still taking orders for the Japanese version, it seems.
Hopefully I made it for first run shipment. LOL but then again I ordered Asian version on the 2nd lol

Top Bottom