• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Abyss is one of my personal favorites, but yeah... most of the cast was pretty damn hypocritical.
They have their moments but they're not supposed to be perfect. Of course if you're referring to the situation in
Akzeriuth
then no I don't think they were being hypocritical there.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Seriously? I know Tales games aren't shining examples of great JRPG stories, but damn... :lol
The plot is definitely atrocious, but I thought the actual characters were pretty well developed throughout the course of the game which does help things a little. I definitely still enjoyed the 'story experience' more than Vesperia which just had every single character making me want to break things randomly.

kiryogi

Banned
DMPrince said:
Does play-asia ship out early or on release date?
They'll usually ship out by tomorrow. Only with SE titles or similar are they usually really strict. Although P-A folks might get it early, the whole preorder bonus being a crap shoot with them isn't worth the gamble to me.

Datschge

Rpgmonkey said:
A Tales game that uses seamless battles to get rid of isolated battlefields and create more dynamic encounters, and emphasizes positioning and environmental interaction would be a pretty drastic change. Provided things like CC and Around Step stay, when I think of a Tales game like that it reminds me of fast-paced action games like Bayonetta or Kingdom Hearts (except with the traditional parts of Tales combat integrated), whereas current Tales games feel more like a 2D/3D fighter.
I didn't intend to go that far with my suggestion. :lol It's just that now while having 360° explorable "world" maps the battle screens still being the standard flat sceneries independent from where exactly the battle was started can and should be done away with, but the distinction between battle and exploration itself should stay. Kind of like battles are handled in Xenoblade for example.

Rpgmonkey

Nix said:
How the hell would that even work without first completely destroying the current overworld dynamic. If you wanted it to be like that, then how would CC/TP be implemented?

Would it be like Xenoblade, or FFXII? I do admit that would be pretty awesome if it comes to fruition, but the trade-off for that would be steep. I'm not one to say heresay, and etc, but I think if they're going to go in that direction, the length of the game we'll get, will ultimately be very paltry. This won't be another FFXII (as much as I salivate at the prospect) most likely because of the budget contraints, and hey, the usual formula is pretty good already.

But yeah, okay, if it's TD doing that I can understand. Let TS do the regular Tales and TD try this out. Should be interesting.

Presumably, it'd just be an extension of what Xillia's doing with it's overworld and dungeons. The overworld should be pretty easy, but they'd have to move away from the ridiculously narrow corridors they love putting in the dungeons of Tales games to accommodate the need for a wider range of movement. Something like Xenoblade would have to be done as FFXII's style is a little too seamless for Tales combat, there has to be a way for battles to begin and end so a few things can be properly set up or "turned off". I assume the seamless nature means other enemies that are around are capable of joining or being called into the battle, however. CC would only come up when battles are initiated as there's no reason for it to be around otherwise, and it would work mostly the same way it always has.

Don't know if it doesn't just sound cool on paper and would actually be a mess if they tried it, but it would be interesting if they could do it.

Edit: @Datschge, looking back on it, yeah that definitely seemed a little too far and really wouldn't make much sense at all, haha.

Proven

Shouta said:
Abyss' theme and general story is fine but I think that some of the character writing is pretty damn awful. It's a bit of the opposite of Rebirth where the story and theme is atrocious but the characters are not bad at all individually.

The first half and how the characters interact with Luke makes me cringe and even angry. Then when the big event for Luke's character happens, they just ridiculous. It actually makes me want to be into the game and tell them how asshole they were. I can't really enjoy a game if the characters piss me off with how moronic they are.

I'll take Legendia over Abyss any time, the story isn't great and some of the design choices are stupid as hell but I like the characters and I had a lot more fun with the battle system.
I literally couldn't play Abyss for more than an hour or two at a time until the first big plot twist. I kept telling my friends that it should have been titled "Tales of the Assholes". Every single character ticked me off, even Guy (although I honestly can't remember what he did anymore. He was still the nicest).

Shouta said:
Bad design would be, funnily enough, Abyss' FOF. Concept is great but you can't use it because you have no method of drawing enemies to you manually and the game uses free run to boot. Sure, you could get use of it sometimes but that was entirely accidental or so few and far between. So what's the point of having it in the game if you can't use it regularly and effectively?

This of course could be remedied if they didn't make it stupid circles on the ground and changed it to a charge system or something on the character instead but oh well.

Tales of the Abyss' FOF system was brilliant to me, and for one specific reason: I got to play the entire game multiplayer. When you have the ability to plan FOF circles (thank you spell aim) along with full control of your teammates the system becomes awesome. This alone makes it the best Tales game for me system wise.

Honestly, the one thing about Xillia's system that makes me laugh is the fact that it seems designed to give some of the benefits of multiplayer to people who play single only.

rykomatsu

kiryogi said:
They'll usually ship out by tomorrow. Only with SE titles or similar are they usually really strict. Although P-A folks might get it early, the whole preorder bonus being a crap shoot with them isn't worth the gamble to me.

In US dating:
Rorona shipped on Wed
Meruru shipped on Thurs
SO4 shipped on Thurs
ToV shipped on Tues
Ar Tonelico 3 shipped on Wed
FF13 shipped on Wed
Valkyria shipped on Thurs

Your order will most likely go into preparation on Monday or Tuesday, US time, but i've found they RARELY ship early. ToV was the single exception to this, so might get lucky, but I'm not holding my hopes on it.

kiryogi

Banned
rykomatsu said:
In US dating:
Rorona shipped on Wed
Meruru shipped on Thurs
SO4 shipped on Thurs
ToV shipped on Tues
Ar Tonelico 3 shipped on Wed
FF13 shipped on Wed
Valkyria shipped on Thurs

Your order will most likely go into preparation on Monday or Tuesday, US time, but i've found they RARELY ship early. ToV was the single exception to this, so might get lucky, but I'm not holding my hopes on it.

In my experience like with the Phantasy Stars, they would ship monday US and arrive by Tues (With overnight UPS) So I often went with them to get the edge on launch haha.

And re: streaming, no idea, I don't have the equipment personally. Be nice to have something to watch while waiting though. I'm watching the Tales and Gamefaqs forums like a hawk. Spoilers and all.

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked all the Team Symphonia games.
ohdear.png

Nothing wrong with that.

Shouta

Proven said:
Tales of the Abyss' FOF system was brilliant to me, and for one specific reason: I got to play the entire game multiplayer. When you have the ability to plan FOF circles (thank you spell aim) along with full control of your teammates the system becomes awesome. This alone makes it the best Tales game for me system wise.

Honestly, the one thing about Xillia's system that makes me laugh is the fact that it seems designed to give some of the benefits of multiplayer to people who play single only.

That is the one other possible way of making the most of the system. It's just, not many folks can or have the time to play with others. A Tales game where you went through the story with another player online would be interesting but just getting that to work would be a headache.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ugh, couldn't cancel the order from PA cuz it's preparing so I can't get the KR version. Sucks...

Proven

Shouta said:
That is the one other possible way of making the most of the system. It's just, not many folks can or have the time to play with others. A Tales game where you went through the story with another player online would be interesting but just getting that to work would be a headache.
It's a bag on the series more than the players. Half of the reason I think they don't make positioning matter much more is simply because your teammates don't have the best AI.

Shouta

Proven said:
It's a bag on the series more than the players. Half of the reason I think they don't make positioning matter much more is simply because your teammates don't have the best AI.

I generally don't have a problem with th AI in most Tales games. They're rather servicable for playingt he game regulary. It's just that when you start getting into the more complex strategies or tactics that it falls short. Most Tales games don't require that much thinking but in some cases it would be massively helpful.

Nix

Banned
Shouta said:
I generally don't have a problem with th AI in most Tales games. They're rather servicable for playingt he game regulary. It's just that when you start getting into the more complex strategies or tactics that it falls short. Most Tales games don't require that much thinking but in some cases it would be massively helpful.
I'm not really understanding here; what strategies exactly would you be trying to culminate in a tales game?

It's pretty much a think on your feet kind of game. Unless you mean the old 2D ones, then I'll just walk over here and get some air to shut myself up.

Shouta

Nix said:
I'm not really understanding here; what strategies exactly would you be trying to culminate in a tales game?

It's pretty much a think on your feet kind of game. Unless you mean the old 2D ones, then I'll just walk over here and get some air to shut myself up.

Divide and Conquer, Decoy, Traps, etc. It's not really complex in the overall sense but it is compared to what you normally do for Tales games. You get a lot more room in 3D Tales and using it more would make the game a lot more interesting overall. It doesn't really need to be super fancy, just enough that I can do more.

Proven

Shouta said:
Divide and Conquer, Decoy, Traps, etc. It's not really complex in the overall sense but it is compared to what you normally do for Tales games. You get a lot more room in 3D Tales and using it more would make the game a lot more interesting overall. It doesn't really need to be super fancy, just enough that I can do more.
Essentially this. You can even do a lot of it in 2D Tales. I finally got to play the PS2 Destiny remake with some friends over the summer and we managed to make stuff work. Practically have to if you want to avoid grinding on the harder difficulties.

Code:
Order Update: We Shipped Your Order Today‏

Order Items:
================================
AVCD-38351
Game Music/Tales of Xillia Original Soundtrack [Limited Edition][Limited Edition]
  CDA 1 x 5600 yen 2011/09/07 release

Yay Limited Edition OST is on its way!

matmanx1

InternHertz said:
Code:
Order Update: We Shipped Your Order Today‏

Order Items:
================================
AVCD-38351
Game Music/Tales of Xillia Original Soundtrack [Limited Edition][Limited Edition]
  CDA 1 x 5600 yen 2011/09/07 release

Yay Limited Edition OST is on its way!

Nice! Can I also say that Ayumi Hamasaki's Five album is pretty darn good and I've been listening to it almost non stop for the last few days? My bunny suit DLC is ready and waiting!

xero273

rykomatsu said:
Anyone planning on doing a live stream? If not, i coul potentially set one up IF my copy ships this week...

yes, i am planning to stream the game this friday, if it arrives.

kiryogi

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Nice! Can I also say that Ayumi Hamasaki's Five album is pretty darn good and I've been listening to it almost non stop for the last few days? My bunny suit DLC is ready and waiting!
Yeah, I've been listening to her single in the car since I got it. I really like the last track "Briilante"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
テイルズオブエクシリア 90/85/100/95 Dengeki PlayStation score.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
テイルズオブエクシリア 90/85/100/95 Dengeki PlayStation score.

Any details on the Dengeki review or what is it compared to the other Tales reviews?

Rarutos

Tales of Xillia this week! Get hype!

I'm not sure if I'll play it right away myself... I might just try it out at the very least!

Who's everyone going to choose as their main protagonist at first? I'm probably going to go with Milla...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm going with Jude. I want to see and experience his moveset first, and if he will play similarly to Senel. I'd like to know how well his moves flow in battle alongside that Integration Evasion skill as well.

Plus I was in pre-med at one time. </bias> >.>

Rarutos said:
Tales of Xillia this week! Get hype!

I'm not sure if I'll play it right away myself... I might just try it out at the very least!

Who's everyone going to choose as their main protagonist at first? I'm probably going to go with Milla...

Yup, my hype is building. Not sure who I'm going to play as first, my more pressing concern is that I was hoping to have Xenoblade wrapped up by the time Xillia arrived but it doesn't look like that'll happen considering I should have it in a week or so and will have Resistance 3 and Starfox 3DS to get through as well :p

Shouta

If everyone is playing Milla, I'll play Jude to start. Besides, I could use some ol'fisticuffs.

I'll have the game Wednesday night, PST so yay!

matmanx1

kiryogi said:
Yeah, I've been listening to her single in the car since I got it. I really like the last track "Briilante"

Yes that one is awesome and I also really like "Another Song". /Internet High Five!

I just realized that if NCSX ships my X Edition out on Thursday it won't arrive until Monday. =( I might call and change my shipping option. I'm off Saturday so that would be perfect actually.

salromano

Would it be alright to post a scan of the controls pages from the manual here? Found it on the Japanese blogosphere.

Also, this:

Japanese fascination with pixelated upskirts: I will never understand you.

LiK

salromano said:
Would it be alright to post a scan of the controls pages from the manual here? Found it on the Japanese blogosphere.

Also, this:

Japanese fascination with pixelated upskirts: I will never understand you.

not even that revealing.

Kyon

Banned
salromano said:
I know Japanese, but for the people importing who do not, or if this is their first Tales game you should post it for them

Top Bottom