• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Eusis

Still just the Limited Edition. There's only been one CE unboxing I know of and instead the game got completely ignored in the unboxing. Not that I'm very optimistic anyway, but they did go a bit further for Ni no Kuni so it's not out of the realm of possibility it's a stealth extra for CE buyers.
The Western game industry is gradually phasing out manuals.

In Japan, Vita games have physical manuals. In North America and Europe, all Vita game boxes are 90% empty space, just that game card and absolutely nothing else.

I expect that the PS4 and Xbox One will follow the same pattern.

I personally don't really care about manuals, but it's still annoying that Japan gets more shit than we do in their retail games.
I'm mainly frustrated that it not only seems to have completely collapsed here, but that a lot of is either EA, Ubisoft, or Walmart's fault. The first two for making a big deal going with that, the last because they want to keep cutting costs every damn place they can and so probably pressured publishers and manufacturers to stop putting them in cases and making them heavier or they'd no longer stock their games. Well, I only know for sure that they're the reason we have holes in game cases now, but they're legendary for how much they pressure and practically order companies to cut costs wherever they can even if it results in an inferior product.

I was planning on cancelling my CE online order but I just got an email that they shipped it! Wasn't this supposed to be released on the 6th? Maaaan

Q: I heard Xillia isn’t a whole game and that it’s unfinished. Is that true?
A: You’ll get varying answers but the best answer I can give is “no.” The game is definitely a finished product. However, there are certain features and extras that the game is lacking when compared to the series’ other games. This is remedied in Xillia 2 but by no means is Xillia 1 a gimped game.

This is really vague. What exactly are the drawbacks? Is the story really short/half-baked?

Rhapsody

Banned
This is really vague. What exactly are the drawbacks? Is the story really short/half-baked?

There aren't that many extra areas or sidequests compared to other Tales games. No traditional Hot Spring scenes or even Tales cameo battle. The story definitely feels complete but you feel like they could've added more areas to explore, but that also helps remove the padding you feel in most Tales games.

One thing that bugged me is (spoiler for gameplay and I guess kinda story)
the lack of a better final dungeon.

It's mostly gameplay and systems related not story related. The main fault of the story is that
it falls apart in the final dungeon

There's no real bonus content in terms of cameo battles or a Namco island like in other games.

The shop systems and the orb system looks pretty nice but are definitely lacking in terms of real depth.

It's just small stuff that hurts it but it's mostly things you notice after playing the game for a while not right away.

Jiraiza

I felt the first half was pretty good story wise but somewhere in the middle, you definitely start to feel there was definitely something lacking compared to other mothership titles. Mentioning what would be a spoiler so you'll see.

I felt the first half was pretty good story wise but somewhere in the middle, you definitely start to feel there was definitely something lacking compared to other mothership titles. Mentioning what would be a spoiler so you'll see.

And now a shadow has been cast over my entire playthrough

Giolon

If I'm only planning on playing through this game once, should I play as Millia or Jude?

Or is this one of those games where you HAVE to play through on both characters? I don't think I have time for that w/ Dragon's Crown coming out the same day...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I'm only planning on playing through this game once, should I play as Millia or Jude?

Or is this one of those games where you HAVE to play through on both characters? I don't think I have time for that w/ Dragon's Crown coming out the same day...
No. Not unless you're chasing after the plat.

If you're in it for the story and want to get full comprehension of the narrative with some foreshadowing in general, I'd go with Jude.

Voror

I've sort of heard this as well, but then I find every Tales game I've played has a point that just feels boring or like the game is dragging. It's usually around the midway point or a bit further.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've sort of heard this as well, but then I find every Tales game I've played has a point that just feels boring or like the game is dragging. It's usually around the midway point or a bit further.
In Tales, the last third of the game generally feels like a Direct-to-DVD sequel.

Stuart444

I usually don't feel like that myself. I tend to enjoy most Tales games from start to end without thinking "This is being dragged out" or "This is dragging on" or anything like that.

edit: Xillia 2s last third is fantastic ^

Jucksalbe

Banned
I tend to enjoy most Tales games from start to end without thinking "This is being dragged out" or "This is dragging on" or anything like that.

I don't think all Tales games are like that, but some certainly are. Vesperia being the most extreme example.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not with Xillia 2!
That remains to be seen for my part. I know a few GAF members didn't like how Xillia 2 ended at all. Or at least the true ending anyway. And I'm still feeling like the pacing and general game design in Xillia 2 wasn't the best thing ever, despite the second game being better than the first in many ways.

...you know, I shouldn't be talking about good/bad stuff in RPGs when I'm playing one of the worst RPGs of the generation at the moment.
bSVr5cd.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That remains to be seen for my part. I know a few GAF members didn't like how Xillia 2 ended at all. Or at least the true ending anyway. And I'm still feeling like the pacing and general game design in Xillia 2 wasn't the best thing ever, despite the second game being better than the first in many ways.

...you know, I shouldn't be talking about good/bad stuff in RPGs when I'm playing one of the worst RPGs of the generation at the moment.
bSVr5cd.gif

Time and Eternity
Cross Edge
The Last Rebellion
Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Enchanted Arms
Infinite Undiscovery

Which one?
KuGsj.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Time and Eternity
Cross Edge
The Last Rebellion
Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Enchanted Arms
Infinite Undiscovery

Which one?
KuGsj.gif
First one was correct. I really dislike it. I don't want to do the plat run for it because I really despise it.

Played: Cross Edge (platinumed on JP account), Last Rebellion (easy plat), platinumed FF13, platinumed FF13-2, finished Star Ocean: The Last Hope, finished Enchanted Arms.

I haven't played Infinite Undiscovery because I don't have a 360.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
First one was correct. I really dislike it. I don't want to do the plat run for it because I really despise it.

Played: Cross Edge (platinumed on JP account), Last Rebellion (easy plat), platinumed FF13, platinumed FF13-2, finished Star Ocean: The Last Hope, finished Enchanted Arms.

You deserve a Purple Heart Medal my friend.

You aren't missing much, it's a pretty awful game.

He is talking about worse of the generation so it would fit. *Dinner Dance Flashbacks*

Coxy

Someone knows my pain

I liked Cross Edge actually, lots of characters I like

Jiraiza

And now a shadow has been cast over my entire playthrough

It's a great game, but considering that it was the "15th anniversary release", you'd expect them to care a little more but well, what can you do? Aside from a few personal grievances regarding how the story ended (in both 1 and 2), it shouldn't be too bad so get rid of that shadow!

Despera

Banned
Oh shit, only 3 days till release. What a pleasant surprise. Been busy with the 3DS so I wasn't paying much attention to some gaming news.

Still, I have a lot of shit to go through, including Grace f. So perhaps this won't be a day 1 purchase.

How long is this game compared to Graces F? I remember there it took me 40+ hours to get the main story out of the way. Future arc not included. This is without side quests btw.

There aren't that many extra areas or sidequests compared to other Tales games. No traditional Hot Spring scenes or even Tales cameo battle. The story definitely feels complete but you feel like they could've added more areas to explore, but that also helps remove the padding you feel in most Tales games.

One thing that bugged me is (spoiler for gameplay and I guess kinda story)
the lack of a better final dungeon.

but there are sidequests right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You deserve a Purple Heart Medal my friend.
It says something when I can play Sonic 06 more than once, and yet I can't stand Time and Eternity for more than a few hours. There's literally nothing ironic to enjoy about it.

Shh... saying that just makes her want to play it.
Hey... My name isn't "Noi".

but there are sidequests right?
Yes there are. Some of them are fetch quests, some of them are beat these enemy for me sidequests, there's the Fell Arms sidequest, some sidequests where you talk to certain people after a storyline event for some character background stuff.

No Wonder Chef since I know some people were wondering about that. You buy food at restaurants now. No cooking in this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I feel a rant about the shop build system coming on. I'll try to control myself. (._. )
Go ahead or I'll do it for you. You disliked the shop build / restaurant system before I even realized I didn't like it.

Schala, you need to quit it.

Stop playing bad games.
I've tried! I really have! It's just kind of weird that I feel like I've played more games I've disliked this year than games I've liked.

I promise I'll go right back to SMT4 after this, since I think I'm almost finished this silly thing. I'm just playing through it so I can write impressions about it later on.

I am sure I can muster a full playthrough of this game considering I finished Tales of Innocence. There is only one Tales of game that I havent finished and it is Legendia. That game was garbage. I think I quit like 60% into the game or something when I felt I didnt care for any of the characters or the world in general.

qsk4.jpg

Can't believe I'm about to go through a totally new Tales experience.... nothing can satisfy the JRPG boy inside me like a brand new Tales game:D

2 years of waiting are finally over... yuuuupppiiiiii.

Top Bottom