• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So Sony paid for console exclusivity and the game has a lot of issues on PS5 and looking at metacritic there are only 7 reviews?

Paul Tassi claims black myth is console exclusive at launch because of a deal, not any technical shortcomings.

IGN says their source corroborates the same.

An actually good journalist, Imran Khan, has also said that the source is ironclad.

And we're now waiting for the publisher to either confirm or deny this officially.

That's about it.
Imran said he thinks he knows who the source was unless something new has come up, I am still like 3 pages back

Oppoi

morshu-fast.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Imran said he thinks he knows who the source was unless something new has come up, I am still like 3 pages back

This is the exact quote for posterities sake.

I am relatively sure I know who the source is and, yeah, it's ironclad.

It is likely not productive to assume it is a weak source. I mean, do what you want, but it is a waste of your time to do so.

Last edited:
This quote is still on their website

"PC and PS5 users can enjoy the full game starting August 20, 2024. We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards, so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."

Topher

Gold Member
So Sony paid for console exclusivity and the game has a lot of issues on PS5 and looking at metacritic there are only 7 reviews?

True. And there is also the political element. Is the media lining up against Game Science because of the accusations of "sexism"? The ain't above that.

Something just feels off about it all. But Sony/GS need to speak up.

Last edited:
Sony should spend its money to get places like Naughty Dog and Bluepoint adequately staffed rather than paying millions for time exclusivity. These studios go forever between games. Surely some of this money could help them finally release a game.

True but their timed exclusivity deals this gen are one of the biggest reasons they've dominated Xbox so ...

Det

Neo Member
Talk about cope. An exclusivity deal that allows the dev to announce a Xbox version is coming as soon as they work out the tech issues before it launches, and doesn't include exclusive marketing from Sony. Never would this happen.

What I don't get is why does Xbox care so much about this PR astroturfing shit still? Just rip off the bandaid and go 3rd party already. You just announced a big exclusive is coming to PS5 before it even launched. Your HW sales are in the shitter. Stop tormenting these fanboys like there's any hope they aren't going 3rd party eventually.

It's the second year in a row that Xbox has been without the biggest third party AAA of the year.

Nadella and shareholders are questioning Phil Spencer, who is responsible for the strategy of "the most powerful console in the world with full rdna2 and sustainable performance" along with the weakest and most problematic console of the generation.

What is Phil Spencer's best alternative?

A) Admit that it was his stupid strategy and that ultimately the Xbox's failure is his fault.

B) Invent a "hidden and mysterious agreement" to blame Sony and play the victim to Nadella and the shareholders.

adamsapple

True. And there is also the political element. Is the media lining up against Game Science because of the accusations of "sexism"? The ain't above that.

Something just feels off about it all. But Sony/GS need to speak up.

I think this might be a bit of reach. In the grand scheme, this Xbox thing doesn't effect the games success. It's still a juggernaut with Steam's most concurrently played SP game regardless of the console drama.

It's not gonna be even a bullet point in the political arguments.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is the exact quote for posterities sake.
So he's chiming in for klout without any first hand knowledge on the matter. That's the reliable guy.

"Relatively sure", that's the level.
I don't put any weight on what he says just because he thinks he knows who the source is and hasn't spoken to anyone himself.

This quote is still on their website

"PC and PS5 users can enjoy the full game starting August 20, 2024. We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards, so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."
That just doesn't read like exclusivity to me, this reads we are having trouble with something on a game already not running well on a system with the power of a PS5
Who is Ironclad?
Who knows, nothing there says ironclad

Topher

Gold Member
I think this might be a bit of reach. In the grand scheme, this Xbox thing doesn't effect the games success. It's still a juggernaut with Steam's most concurrently played SP game regardless of the console drama.

It's not gonna be even a bullet point in the political arguments.

Not a reach at all. The press is never above petty cheapshots over political bullshit. The game's success makes it a bigger target. I'm not saying that is what this is. Simply that it could be.

Imran vouching for a source he "thinks" is legit on resetera, of all places, where the game is openly despised is not surprising at all.

Cheapshots usually don't make the "bullet point in the political arguments".

adamsapple

Not a reach at all. The press is never above petty cheapshots over political bullshit. The game's success makes it a bigger target. I'm not saying that is what this is. Simply that it could be.

Imran vouching for a source he "thinks" is legit on resetera, of all places, where the game is openly despised is not surprising at all.

Cheapshots usually don't make the "bullet point in the political arguments".

Personally, I don't see a reason for them to do cheap shots cause they already know the kind of social media backlash they got for other previous attempts at politicizing.

But in the absence of an official response, anything is fair game I guess.

phil spencer

Always.

It's stage 4 of Sony's plan to destroy Xbox. They will now start buying exclusives and have the devs say they are working on optimizing it for Xbox. Prepare to hear this a lot more.
The silly thing is, that is exactly what some people would want to believe.
Because at least that would imply that Sony actually CARE about the Xbox enough to directly attack it.

Coming up with an unlikely story that Sony would spend money on a third party game but NOT promoting it, purely because it makes Xbox seem relevant.

Sony doesn't hate or fear Xbox; in fact Sony doesn't think about Xbox at all.

Darsxx82

Steam Deck not only runs things in a fixed small resolution (1280x800), it also has more shared RAM than the Series S (16GB vs 10).

It's entirely possible for things to run better on Steam Deck than Series S.
A lot of games released under UE5 say otherwise....

adamsapple

Steam Deck not only runs things in a fixed small resolution (1280x800), it also has more shared RAM than the Series S (16GB vs 10).

It's entirely possible for things to run better on Steam Deck than Series S.

Possible ? Yes.
Probable? No.

Watch this if you have a few minutes.

BG3 doesn't support split screen on Steam Deck, which was the only thing keeping it away from Series S.

Last edited:

laynelane

They really don't though.

Like who does this really actually affect. The devs want their games to keep selling instead of waiting for a future release and Sony don't want potential Xbox gamers skipping playing it on ps5

I doubt they would, as well. It's possible, but they normally don't respond to this kind of stuff. The only time I can think of when they did was when Jim Ryan clarified information about CoD during the ABK acquisition. That had potential to hurt their bottom line, though, and this doesn't.

Last edited:
Sony does this kind of thing (apparently). They've already been accused of paying to keep games off Game Pass https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/23300133/microsoft-sony-xbox-game-pass-blocking-rights-accusation so this wouldn't really be anything new.

The weird thing to me is that if that's true why would MS play nice with Sony after Sony does something like that? Unless MS is just letting consoles go maybe? In that case they wouldn't care much I guess.

Are you under the impression MS is playing nice because they are just nice people? They are playing nice with Sony because they are losing money and need a return on that 70 billion they just spent.

jm89

The weird thing to me is that if that's true why would MS play nice with Sony after Sony does something like that? Unless MS is just letting consoles go maybe? In that case they wouldn't care much I guess.
There are probably 2 camps at ms right now.

One that is wanting all their games every where like Satya and Tim Stuart and then you have those who don't want any of their games going like Phil and booty.

The camp that is super pissed with the black myth situation is probably the latter.

Top Bottom