• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

The funny thing is, that all this is bringing more attention to the game. Which as of now, is console exclusive to PS5. This is beneficial to both the studio and sony, but a negative for Microsoft. Whatever the outcome, Microsoft lose out once again. Just L after L for the xbox brand. They are legit cursed. Either that or somebody is writing the fucking script here. Maybe God himself dislikes xbox? Lol

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The funny thing is, that all this is bringing more attention to the game. Which as of now, is console exclusive to PS5. This is beneficial to both the studio and sony, but a negative for Microsoft. Whatever the outcome, Microsoft lose out once again. Just L after L for the xbox brand. They are legit cursed. Either that or somebody is writing the fucking script here. Maybe God himself dislikes xbox? Lol
Angry Badass GIF by Yellowstone

Astray

Microsoft insists on putting these people in maximum pain by prolonging their exit from the HW scene into a long and painful divorce. Yet these guys still cape for them..?

Stupidity on display.

This is what they've always done though, defend their missteps and mistakes by attacking the competition without fully thinking the ramifications through. But I guess that's far quicker and easier than actually dealing with the self-created mess they find themselves in.
Whoever was behind this at Xbox has really created a no-win situation for themselves:

- If it's true that Sony moneyhatted the game, then this makes them look like chumps who were beaten to the punch.
- If it's not, then they gave Sony free publicity and yet another inadvertent exclusive.

Both alternative endings likely mean that Microsoft has soured relationships with Game Science. Why the fuck should these guys ever considering bringing their business to you anymore after the way you tried to make them look like liars?

Klayzer

Microsoft insists on putting these people in maximum pain by prolonging their exit from the HW scene into a long and painful divorce. Yet these guys still cape for them..?

Stupidity on display.

Whoever was behind this at Xbox has really created a no-win situation for themselves:

- If it's true that Sony moneyhatted the game, then this makes them look like chumps who were beaten to the punch.
- If it's not, then they gave Sony free publicity and yet another inadvertent exclusive.

Both alternative endings likely mean that Microsoft has soured relationships with Game Science. Why the fuck should these guys ever considering bringing their business to you anymore after the way you tried to make them look like liars?
Microsoft will do what they always do, throw a bunch of money their way to smooth things over. No hard feelings, when millions of dollars are on the table.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'd rather trust tech folks that are closer to Game Science. The 10GB ram is a huge issue.

Anything that can run on a Steamdeck above 30 fps with its paltry 88GB/s memory bandwidth with low/medium settings realistically shouldn't have problems running on Series S with similar settings at its 4x memory bandwidth.

DF ran a similar comparison with major games like Cyberpunk 2077 running on Series S and Steam Deck, and in all the cases where there was a native Series S version, it outperforms the Deck.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Anything that can run on a Steamdeck above 30 fps with its paltry 88GB/s memory bandwidth with low/medium settings realistically shouldn't have problems running on Series S with similar settings at its 4x memory bandwidth.

DF ran a similar comparison with major games like Cyberpunk 2077 running on Series S and Steam Deck, and in all the cases where there was a native Series S version, it outperforms the Deck.

We went from "the series S will outperform the PS5" to "at least it beats the Steam Deck" real quick.

And you're missing the headline figure here, 16gb vs 10gb.

LectureMaster

Gold Member

The ram bandwidth is not the issue, it is the shared ram size.

Even if it could run the steam deck settings, I don't think it is realistic for either Microsoft or game science to accept a 30 fps 720p with super resolution performance on series s.

CP2077 and Wukong are completely different games, you are comparing Adam's apple to orange, xD.

PeteBull

Gold Member
u might have stumbled onto something, apparently particular god is defo ps fanboy
200.webp

On a sheer technical level, DF doesn't think there should be much problem getting the game running on Series S with some settings mitigation.

It's always about development time. They could make it run on a Switch. Some people ported bloodborne on a genuine PS1. But they didn't want to spend that time on the Xbox version and wanted to prioritize the PS5, and even then that version is really not good.

adamsapple

We went from "the series S will outperform the PS5" to "at least it beats the Steam Deck" real quick.

Considering most are using it as the unverified scapegoat for the reason of the Xbox versions delay, it's worth pointing out that the game already runs on much weaker hardware.

And you're missing the headline figure here, 16gb vs 10gb.

Cyberpunk's min is 12GB, 'higher' than Series S.

Or, heck you can use other 16GB examples like Hogwarts Legacy or even Hellblade 2 which generally run better on Series S based on some youtube videos of those games running on decks.

And then there's some 16GB RAM games that aren't even Deck verified like Avatar or Star Wars Outlaws that run well on Series S. Avatar even added a 40hz quality mode while Star Wars has all of its RT features from PS5/SX.

CP2077 and Wukong are completely different games

Yes, no one is saying monkey-man is a reskin of V. That wasn't the point I was making and you know it.

Plenty of games which have 16GB RAM requirements as minimum on PC run reasonably well on Series S. That alone can't be the one thing you point and say "see that's why".

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Considering most are using it as the unverified scapegoat for the reason of the Xbox versions delay, it's worth pointing out that the game already runs on much weaker hardware.

Cyberpunk's min is 12GB, 'higher' than Series S.

Or, heck you can use other 16GB examples like Hogwarts Legacy or even Hellblade 2 which generally run better on Series S based on some youtube videos of those games running on decks.

So we're back to "blame the devs"? Because that's what it sounds like.

You can cite other games and other hardware all you want, but the fact is every game is different and to date they've not been able to get this game up and running on the Series S to a satisfactory level. Consequently, Series X owners are also having to suffer a delay caused by the weaker machine. You should try asking Microsoft why that has to be the case.

adamsapple

cixalt-gif.gif

You share multiple tweets talking about Series S's optimization issues in light of this game's delay and use examples like lower memory pool. I'm just highlighting a few of many cases where a lower memory pool than the games PC minimum requirements hasn't had an issue with the Series S version before.

You can cite other games and other hardware all you want, but the fact is every game is different and to date they've not been able to get this game up and running on the Series S to a satisfactory level. Consequently, Series X owners are also having to suffer a delay caused by the weaker machine. You should try asking Microsoft why that has to be the case.

We literally do not know that, unlike Larian, Game Science have not said anything specific about Series S.

Yes, Series X owners are having to suffer a delay too but exactly what the cause is, whether it is a lack of time / budget on the dev part, or a memory leak or whatever, we don't know.

As for myself, I'm not getting it on either console until it gets an actual physical release, not a 'code-chit-in-case' like it has right now.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Damn! Is that a rumor ?
Somebody has the obligation to answer now.

kevboard

Xbox’s own engineers couldn’t even get parity for BGIII on the Series S despite assisting for months.

It doesn’t matter the pedigree of the game or studio, it’s never Xbox’s fault.

is it surprising that a game that can barely run at 60fps on high end PCs has issues on Series S?

Baldur's Gate 3 has atrocious CPU performance

GHG

Gold Member
cixalt-gif.gif

You share multiple tweets talking about Series S's optimization issues in light of this game's delay and use examples like lower memory pool. I'm just highlighting a few of many cases where a lower memory pool than the games PC minimum requirements hasn't had an issue with the Series S version before.

You've specifically cited the Steam Deck, multiple times, which has a ram pool which is 16GB in size.

We literally do not know that, unlike Larian, Game Science have not said anything specific about Series S.

Ok it's the Series X's fault then.

Yes, Series X owners are having to suffer a delay too but exactly what the cause is, whether it is a lack of time / budget on the dev part, or a memory leak or whatever, we don't know.

We do know, you're just refusing to acknowledge it.

As for myself, I'm not getting it on either console until it gets an actual physical release, not a 'code-chit-in-case' like it has right now.

*renting.

Damn! Is that a rumor ?
Somebody has the obligation to answer now.
What would be the point? They would just release some vague statement that somehow puts the blame somewhere else.

Phil said it wasn't a fatal flaw in the system it was where devs choose to prioritize their time. You see if Larian would have prioritized their time focusing on the Series S version first then port to all the other systems the game would have released day 1 on all systems.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You've specifically cited the Steam Deck, multiple times, which has a ram pool which is 16GB in size.
Yes, as an even weaker hardware with a functionally working version of the game. And we have already established with multiple examples that that difference in RAM alone is likely not the problem.

Ok it's the Series X's fault then.
Or a conveniently timed marketing agreement. 🤷‍♂️

We do know, you're just refusing to acknowledge it.
Considering the vagueness of the original statement and lack of follow ups from the developer, we kinda don't.

*renting.
Soon, hopefully.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What would be the point? They would just release some vague statement that somehow puts the blame somewhere else.

Phil said it wasn't a fatal flaw in the system it was where devs choose to prioritize their time. You see if Larian would have prioritized their time focusing on the Series S version first then port to all the other systems the game would have released day 1 on all systems.
Sorry I think you missed the joke there , it is my fault I forgot the /s.
It was in no way a serious response but a parody of what some and particularly one thinks.

Yes, as an even weaker hardware with a functionally working version of the game. And we have already established with multiple examples that that difference in RAM alone is likely not the problem.

Considering the vagueness of the original statement and lack of follow ups from the developer, we kinda don't.

Soon, hopefully.
So do you believe there wad a marketing agreement for BMW or not? You keep straddling the fence based on what's suits you.

GHG

Gold Member
And we have already established with multiple examples that that alone is likely not the problem.

Soon, hopefully.

Marketing agreement? Where's the marketing then?

I don't know why you're making all of this so difficult for yourself.

91xpnb.jpg

laynelane

It'd be pretty stupid for Sony to respond. Imagine having an exclusive (at least in the minds of everyone) without paying a dime. What would they even say? "Don't worry guys, an Xbox version is coming." Seems like the people running damage control for MS are doing free marketing.

There's also the issue that if Sony responded to this and other things like this, it would never end. Once this blows over, there will be something else and on and on.

adamsapple

So do you believe there wad a marketing agreement for BMW or not? You keep straddling the fence based on what's suits you.

From page 2, I've said this can be very easily dismissed by the publisher. There's absolutely no reason game science can't have someone make a new tweet refuting it and the matter will be quashed instantly.

Now, predictably, I can already tell some replies like "why should they? they have no reason to". And that's why this thread is now 20 pages long. Or 10 pages if you're a 100 posts per page degenerate.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Xbox management continues to be the gaming industry's biggest failsons this side of Embracer at their jobs, while maintaining or even elevating their positions, and reason in part of that is at the heart of this story: they've gotten very good at shifting blame and dodging accountability. A contagion of corporate affluenza has swept thru their entire division for well over a decade, which has made them entirely too comfortable playing the helpless, bullied victims. So much so that they're now writing persecution checks they can't cash.

True. I mean considering their resources both financially and in talent, the sheer degree of underperformance is eye-watering.

What's particularly painful is how good the original Xbox team was in so many ways.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
From page 2, I've said this can be very easily dismissed by the publisher. There's absolutely no reason game science can't have someone make a new tweet refuting it and the matter will be quashed instantly.

Now, predictably, I can already tell some replies like "why should they? they have no reason to". And that's why this thread is now 20 pages long. Or 10 pages if you're a 100 posts per page degenerate.
Yeah they need to answer again every rumors because apparently their answer aren't enough for you.
And arguing that the thread has too many replis when you probably are in the top 5 for the most posts itt.

adamsapple

Yeah they need to answer again every rumors because apparently their answer aren't enough for you.
And arguing that the thread has too many replis when you probably are in the top 5 for the most posts itt.

'answer again every rumor', they haven't answered a single rumor, what are you on about :messenger_unamused:

They haven't said a single thing since that original statement. The game is now out, you'd expect them to follow up with a release estimate or window or something.

images

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
'answer again every rumor', they haven't answered a single rumor, what are you on about :messenger_unamused:

They haven't said a single thing since that original statement. The game is now out, you'd expect them to follow up with a release estimate or window or something.

images
Xbox versions delayed for optimisations ...How in the hell is that so hard for you to understand?
When in doubt, read 1st sentence again.

Three

'Runs above 30fps'. The game struggles on a steamdeck even with FSR and medium settings.

Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: Off): ~25-31 FPS
Medium preset (FSR 90% and FG: Off): ~18-28 FPS

And that's with more RAM than Series S too.
With these setting VRAM usage is 5.4GB and RAM usage 8.3GB on steamdeck.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Xbox versions delayed for optimisations ...How in the hell is that so hard for you to understand?
When in doubt, read 1st sentence again.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

let me put it in simpler terms in a point by point manner for you.

- The original optimization statement was said almost 3 months ago
- Since then, the game has in-fact come out on retail
- In the last 3 months, the publisher has not communicated anything about their status with the xbox version, what exactly the hold-up is or an expected window by when the game might release
- Now, multiple people and their sources are saying that the delay may in-fact have been part of some deal

All the above being said: Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the publisher of the game for a status / release window update on the game on a platform they've pledged to release on, but haven't provided an update in the last 3 months ?

Please, a simple yes or no answer.

'Runs above 30fps'. The game struggles on a steamdeck even with FSR and medium settings.

Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: Off): ~25-31 FPS
Medium preset (FSR 90% and FG: Off): ~18-28 FPS

And that's with more RAM than Series S too.
With these setting VRAM usage is 5.4GB and RAM usage 8.3GB on steamdeck.

The devs are already using frame gen on the PS5 version, so no need to just use the results with FG off.

• Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: On): ~38-48 FPS
  • Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: Off): ~25-31 FPS

Also, I've given multiple examples above of games that have higher than Series S's RAM as minimum requirements (Cyberpunk, Hogwarts, HB2) that run better there. PC requirements don't scale linearly to consoles. You know that.

Last edited:
Honestly seeing how MS is playing dirty,if I was Sony, I'd now actually try to money hat the game and even make the dev say that it is because both Xbox can't handle it...Maybe two can play the lying game now?

Nah; that money would probably be better spent investing into the development of Game Science's next game and at least doing a marketing deal with it. I'm guessing BMW will be on Xbox by the middle or end of Fall.

As for Tassi, I'm gonna love seeing the hit this has done to his credibility. Well deserved, too. Maybe if he wasn't such a shill for companies like Disney and Microsoft, he wouldn't embarrass himself with these fabricated stories.

Series S bandwidth is 224 GB/s. That's not 4x Steam Deck's 🤣

Also Steam Deck probably has slightly more efficient memory controllers , and better storage I/O, than the Series S. Steam OS is also less bloated than Xbox OS.

Last edited:

Three

The devs are already using frame gen on the PS5 version, so no need to just use the results with FG off.

• Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: On): ~38-48 FPS
  • Medium preset (FSR 75% and FG: Off): ~25-31 FPS

Also, I've given multiple examples above of games that have higher than Series S's RAM as minimum requirements (Cyberpunk, Hogwarts, HB2) that run better there. PC requirements don't scale linearly to consoles. You know that.
Yes to hit 60fps. On steamdeck with FSR 75% with framegen on would mean you're playing at sub-720p at 19fps internal. Pay attention to RAM usage too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom