• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jez supposedly just mentioned on his stream that his source was from Xbox.

Fucking lmao.

You made me look up a Jizz stream, the only thing he said re: Microsoft is that he knows people at Microsoft were blindsided by the delay announcement and removing the Xbox logo from the trailer at SGF.

Poor Adam trying to put out so many fires at the same time, I kinda feel sorry for him.

Discussion is fine, I'm just baffled that A azertydu91 is having such a hard time with me simply saying that game science should provide an update on a delay they announced 3 months ago.

If they don't have an update in 3 months, that's not exactly a positive nod towards the developer.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
On a sheer technical level, DF doesn't think there should be much problem getting the game running on Series S with some settings mitigation.

I'm sorry, but DF along with their sinking mother company are ass clowns at this point and you are not helping the cause because you clearly don't understand how hardware of even game engines work.

Series S has less shared RAM than One X, let alone Steam Deck or even some modern smartphones. If you played Wukong on PC (and I'm on Act 5) you'll see that due to the UE5s structure it uses VRAM/RAM quite a lot even with tame settings.

Less than 10gb VRAM (not even shared, VRAM only) is a problem even with modern PCs, that's why I switched my 8gb 3080 to 16gb 4080. You really need the memory even in QHD DLSS, because UE5 is getting popular and there's just so many things on the screen at once in modern games. It's a simple bottleneck that was apparent on both PC and consoles for two straight years now. Plus, despite the direct help from Papa Phil, split-screen co-op in BG3 is not a thing on Series S still (iirc). Why? Because you can't download vram. And thanks to the shrinkingf size of Xbox it is easier for a lot of devs to just skip the platform altogether, because extensive porting job will never generate enough ROI. Especially if your main market is EMEA and Asia.

There's no Game Science or rocket science here. Stop embarassing yourself (same could be said about the DF's silly shilling with totally ignoring the VRAM issue, but their credibility died with exclusive Xbox Series reveal IMO)

Last edited:

Three

To highlight that you can't just look at the PC versions minimum requirement of 16GB and say "that's why". There's plenty of examples of games with min 16GB RAM in the last 2~ years that have released and work fine on Series S.
Nobody said that's definitely why to the RAM issue either but that could possibly be the biggest optimisation effort. That's normal and not something controversial to suggest. The RAM amount is an issue on Series S. As I said your example of cyberpunk, on medium settings for example uses less RAM than Black Myth's low settings. The devs would take more time optimising RAM usage with reworked assets specifically for Series S than turning down sliders to match some steamdeck "running" state at sub-720p 19fps native/base framerate.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You made me look up a Jizz stream, the only thing he said re: Microsoft is that he knows people at Microsoft were blindsided by the delay announcement and removing the Xbox logo from the trailer at SGF.

Discussion is fine, I'm just baffled that A azertydu91 is having such a hard time with me simply saying that game science should provide an update on a delay they announced 3 months ago.
And you having a hard time to understand that comunicating for saying nothing is pointless just like talking to you.
Use your own logic you are doubting that they are working on the game even when they said they were, at this point why communicate, maybe more will doubt after that.
You know when I was younger I had a coworker that kept telling his boss that he was working hard , the hardest....Turns out he was the laziest piece of shit I've ever encounter...Maybe the ones that talk less do more.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Nobody said that's definitely why to the RAM issue either but that could possibly be the biggest optimisation effort. That's normal and not something controversial to suggest. The RAM amount is an issue on Series S. As I said your example of cyberpunk, on medium settings for example uses less RAM than Black Myth's low settings. The devs would take more time optimising RAM usage with reworked assets specifically for Series S than turning down sliders to match some steamdeck "running" state at sub-720p 19fps native/base framerate.
You can only optimize so much when even your basic assets and textures are just too good for 8 GB shared RAM.

There's a path with creating different assets (Hogwarts on PS4) or placing invisible walls (wolfenstein tnc on Switch), but thanks to parity clause it's out of the question and it's just too much work for the least popular platform.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'm sorry, but DF along with their sinking mother company are ass clowns at this point and you are not helping the cause because you clearly don't understand how hardware of even game engines work.

Series S has less shared RAM than One X, let alone Steam Deck or even some modern smartphones. If you played Wukong on PC (and I'm on Act 5) you'll see that due to the UE5s structure it uses VRAM/RAM quite a lot even with tame settings.

Less than 10gb VRAM (not even shared, VRAM only) is a problem even with modern PCs, that's why I switched my 8gb 3080 to 16gb 4080. You really need the memory even in QHD DLSS, because UE5 is getting popular and there's just so many things on the screen at once in modern games. It's a simple bottleneck that was apparent on both PC and consoles for two straight years now.

Hellblade 2 runs PC Medium equivalent settings on Series S.

Medium settings require 8GB VRAM + 16 GB System Ram

Even being generous and accounting for some other cutbacks the Series S might make this is still a game that, on PC, requires a lot more RAM than what Series S has on paper.

It runs on Series S with a fairly consistent 30 FPS cap.

It is also an Unreal Engine 5 game.

You can only optimize so much when even your basic assets and textures are just too good for 8 GB shared RAM.

See above.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Both sources are completely unreliable.

Paul Tassi is not credible and IGN has been trying to take this developer down for months.

I dont care if its true or not, but we need another source before confirmation.

Mainly because it just doesn't make sense to hide it.

If it is true, Playstation is dumb as hell.
Yet every rumor that comes out against Xbox is believed 100 percent.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It is also an Unreal Engine 5 game.
Hellblade 2? That game with tiny and linear curated locations and two-three models in the frame max? Without any sort of interaction or complicated game logic running in the backend? With locations that you can't return to that's why you don't need to store a lot of variables in the RAM?

Yeah, totally comparable with Wukong. A game that greets you with like a full high-poly army of 1000+ soldiers with dynamic clouds and huge bosses. And that's the intro sequence alone. With very agressive and extensive nanite/lumen usage.

Once again, it just shows that you don't understand some fundamental things behind the tech and you're only have other opinions to back up your clear bias but not the knowledge you can call your own. Me personally? I was active in game modding for almost a decade and even while not being a coder I understand at least a thing or two about quite simple bottlenecks in game engines.

upd: and LOL emoji is not an answer, but I expect nothing more here.

Last edited:

akira__

Let's be clear DF are just power users they didn't study computer science they don't know what a float is nor TFLOPS stands for.

And they are quite lazy as they often just walk through the first part of the game. And with pc they don't try that much.

Instead they focus on linguistics. That is why have the word "bespoke" now.

They have been perplexed by their own results for years now. If you would be expert you wouldn't always be perplexed.

adamsapple

Hellblade 2? That game with tiny and linear curated locations and two-three models in the frame max? Without any sort of interaction or complicated game logic running in the backend? With locations that you can't return to that's why you don't need to store a lot of variables in the RAM?

Yeah, totally comparable with Wukong. A game that greets you with like a full high-poly army of 1000+ soldiers with dynamic clouds and huge bosses. And that's the intro sequence alone. With very agressive and extensive nanite/lumen usage.

Once again, it just shows that you don't understand some fundamental things behind the tech and you're only have other opinions to back up your clear bias but not the knowledge you can call your own. Me personally? I was active in game modding for almost a decade and even while not being a coder I understand at least a thing or two about quite simple bottlenecks in game engines.

But you also said:

HB2 will go down visually as one of top 3 games of the year with incredibly detailed assets and whatnot. Don't scramble for other talking points now, lol.

That being said, other examples for games like Cyberpunk with its vibrant open world and more recently Star Wars Outlaws which has a base 16GB system RAM and at least 6GB for non RT GPUs and 8 for RT, which retains all of its RT on Series S mind you. So that's 16 + 8 GB system + GPU ram that works extremely fine within the Series S's RAM constraints.

Now quickly tell me how those games are also not taxing at all and how your knowledge of engine trumps the reality ;)

upd: and LOL emoji is not an answer, but I expect nothing more here.

You gotta give the other person a few seconds to reply brother, keep calm. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So where are we at now? Apart from still being rude to other posters because God forbid anyone should slight the reputation of the company that released Concord :pie_raybans:

God forbid? You throw a rock in this forum and you'll hit someone shitting on Concord and Sony for making it.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

adamsapple

So where are we at now? Apart from still being rude to other posters because God forbid anyone should slight the reputation of the company that released Concord :pie_raybans:

Nowhere new, Paul, Jizz or IGN haven't outright retracted their statements.
Game Science hasn't said anything new on the record since June.
And Apple is kicking ass, swallowing ball. :messenger_sunglasses:

God forbid? You throw a rock in this forum and you'll hit someone shitting on Concord and Sony for making it.

There are some men in boxes somewhere.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nowhere new, Paul, Jizz or IGN haven't outright retracted their statements.
Game Science hasn't said anything new on the record since June.
And Apple is kicking ass, swallowing ball. :messenger_sunglasses:

There are some men in boxes somewhere.
Yeah Tassi hasn't outright backtracked ... He just went from there is a deal to it seemed possible that maybe there was a deal....Still ironclad.
Adam's got advised by many to stop posting but he kept digging without realising...
I haven't updated him for more than an hour, he is fearing that I changed my mind ... I haven't... I will try to keep posting update that says nothing since it has become important now...
Will try to update when adam admit he is wrong on something .... this may take a while.

Three

That being said, other examples for games like Cyberpunk with its vibrant open world and more recently Star Wars Outlaws which has a base 16GB system RAM and at least 6GB for non RT GPUs and 8 for RT,
I know this wasn't a reply to me but have you actually seen Cyberpunks RAM usage on lowest settings or even medium?
which retains all of its RT on Series S mind you. So that's 16 + 8 GB system + GPU ram that works extremely fine within the Series S's RAM constraints.
No it does not "retain all of its RT on series s".

adamsapple

I know this wasn't a reply to me but have you actually seen Cyberpunks RAM usage on lowest settings or even medium?

Have I seen moment to moment RAM utilization? No.

According to this article, the 1080p Low non RT requires a 6GB VRAM capable GPU and 12GB system ram. This is the spec to run the game at 1080p/Low at 30 FPS.

It runs at 900p~ in its 60 FPS mode and 1080p in its 30 FPS Quality mode on Series S.

No it does not "retain all of its RT on series s".

Retains all of the RT re: PS5 and SX versions with minor difference in how far Lumen is calculated. Of course Series S isn't going to do more RT beyond those consoles, it shouldn't have to be said.

Three

Retains all of the RT re: PS5 and SX versions with minor difference in how far Lumen is calculated. Of course Series S isn't going to do more RT beyond those consoles, it shouldn't have to be said.
No it didn't have RT shadows at all. Both Series X and PS5 did. With the way you cite DF you would think you would know this. What exactly do you mean by "how far Lumen is calculated"? This is cyberpunk we're talking about, correct?

adamsapple

No it didn't have RT shadows at all. Both Series X and PS5 did. With the way you cite DF you would think you would know this. What exactly do you mean by "how far Lumen is calculated"? This is cyberpunk we're talking about, correct?

No I'm talking about Star Wars Outlaws.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Three

Have I seen moment to moment RAM utilization? No.
Go look at RAM utilisation and you will be surprised at how little it is. Just because CDPR used the hardware amounts for specific cards/configurations in recommended specs doesn't mean it needs that amount. It's lower.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Says the guy who worships the company that released Redfall and Starfield (both supposed game changers). Hardly anyone stood up for Concord because, unlike the zealots who protect anything green, people could see it wasn't looking good. Folks like you were stans for garbage. You finally get a bad game from Sony (in a year that also saw Helldivers, Stellar Blade, and FFVII) and it's all y'all talk about.

I'll give DenchDeckard DenchDeckard some credit, as he at least attempted to walk back some of what he said. You? Chasing Concord while still unable to play Wukong. Just buy a PS5. You'll live longer! :p

Last edited:

Ryan McCaffrey, from IGN, was the first person to imply that Sony had an exclusivity deal on Twitter and deleted after the dev spoke lmao

Radical_3d

Ryan McCaffrey, from IGN, was the first person to imply that Sony had an exclusivity deal on Twitter and deleted after the dev spoke lmao
Jesus. It’s been ages since I’ve visited there. No PS5 Pro wild speculation in the first page!!
Fii8.gif

Honestly, I don’t think it really matters in the end if Sony did or not. I hear XBox gamers complain about this title not being on XBox, yet how many of them do you actually think would actually buy and support the game contributing to that 10,000,000 + sales? Didn’t the Wukong developers even say who needs XBOX or something to that effect due to poor software sales of most games on the platform?

Taycan77

Jez supposedly just mentioned on his stream that his source was from Xbox.

Fucking lmao.
I listened to Jez last week on his podcast while at work.

The podcast in question focused on the Indy PS5 announcement.

His theory, in all seriousness, was Xbox where releasing titles on PS5 to fund a major hardware push. By launching early they'd become the market leader and not release any further titles on PS6. A short-term deviation from their strategy to fill the coffers - then back to full exclusivity and a big hardware push.

This guy is meant to be a serious journalist who Xbox execs use to push stories.

Last edited:
I listened to Jez last week on his podcast while at work.

The podcast in question focused on the Indy PS5 announcement.

His theory, in all seriousness, was Xbox where releasing titles on PS5 to fund a major hardware push. By launching early they'd become the market leader and not release any further titles on PS6. A short-term deviation from their strategy to fill the coffers - then back to full exclusivity and a big hardware push.

This guy is meant to be serious journalist who Xbox execs use to push stories.
He was pushing that same theory today but admitted it’s probably just copium.

He did at least say that no matter what the reason for BMW not being on Xbox is it’s on them for letting it happen. Which is my view on the situation as well.

Pop

No wonder

Ryan has the biggest boner for Xbox

RickMasters

"We can't comment on deals made by our partners with other platform holders" was right?

No Way Oh Snap GIF by Uninterrupted

Well…. They got no first party games worth talking about these days 😬

Bunch of clowns…. It’s not gonna make me buy a PlayStation…. I’ll just buy it on steam, consign it to my backlog and play it on the next-box via my steam side loader along with actual Sony made games…..

Sony are a joke.

RickMasters

If? MS has been doing that for some time now.
Not saying they never done that before but sonys way of doing it is slimy…… I expected a late release for this game on Xbox right up until now….. MS just come out and tell you…. Or just buy the whole company. Which approach looks more transparent to you, my brotha? 🤷🏾‍♂️

I don’t agree with their approach, is all. If you were gonna do that just do it in the first place. I’m still not gonna but a PlayStation so for me this is waste on their part….

But then again aside from Xbox games on PS… what else is there really to lol forward t from PS first party? Atleast MS own their shit. 🤷🏾‍♂️

RickMasters

If? MS has been doing that for some time now.

We hated it when Xbox did it…. Do we also hate it when Sony does it?

They sold 60 mill consoles….. maybe that makes it ok by gaf logic? I don’t know much about gaming biz and what game are think is ok , on these things so I’m all ears fam. But I don’t agree that one company is exempt from any standards we hole another too. I can’t go along with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom