• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift's New Ticket system that Disguises Profiteering as Fighting Scalpers

balohna

Ticketmaster already has bullshit VIP tickets and reselling through their site. Makes it nearly impossible to get tickets at face value for some events. Terrible practice.

the1npc

That is quite a greasy move. This is why I go to medium sized and local shows. Seeing bands in these big shitty arenas generally sucks anyway

Alienfan

Ed Sheeran was all like "fuck the Scalpers" too, all he's done is stopped third parties from selling tickets and forced people to resell through ticketmaster so he gets a cut. All its done is make second hand tickets even more expensive

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The correct way to fight scalpers without jacking prices up to in infinity is to force people to verify a phone number (no VOIP) to register, show ID name matching the ticket purchaser at the gate, limit the number of tickets purchased to 2 (effectively doubling the price and forcing the scalper to go to the concert in order to resell the second ticket), give tickets out in a lottery system (so no one is guaranteed a ticket, just an entry), and to schedule several shows so as to sate demand.

You're anti-capitalism!

But yes, this.

Xe4

Banned
Jesus, fucking shameful doing it under the guise of "fighting scalpers" is probably the worst thing about this.
The correct way to fight scalpers without jacking prices up to in infinity is to force people to verify a phone number (no VOIP) to register, show ID name matching the ticket purchaser at the gate, limit the number of tickets purchased to 2 (effectively doubling the price and forcing the scalper to go to the concert in order to resell the second ticket), give tickets out in a lottery system (so no one is guaranteed a ticket, just an entry), and to schedule several shows so as to sate demand.
I'm a fan of this, except maybe the lottery system part. At the very least I feel like if I get tickets way in advance, I should be prioritized in any lottery. Also, I feel that the other measures effectively deal with the issue.
I've dealt with lottery systems before and they're a damn pain. I like to avoid them whenever possible.

7Th

Japan has been doing this for years. This is how it works idol groups like AKB or even anime properties like Love Live and Idolmaster.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You're anti-capitalism!

But yes, this.

The capitalist solution to blocking scalpers is obvious. Charge everyone the scalping price upfront. You can implement this directly via a Dutch auction. But some people say it's """immoral""" to deny everyone except Saudi princes access to the concert, so here we are.

This is a bit stupid. If it was about scalpers, just tie the ticket to the person who purchased it, show ID when going to the concert and done, problem solved. This is just some suits thinking they found a good idea to make more money.

Yes yes it is.

It's gouging disguised as a service

The social media spamming part of this scheme should be easy to bot. So obviously the solution to this is to remove that and keep the parts that involve paying money.

Swift has been all about the money since that bullshit with Apple Music. Not liking Spotify's free model would be understandable, but when she became an advertisement for Apple Music it was obvious something else was going on. There are other paid-only services out there like Google Play Music and Tidal which did not get the exclusive.

Hex

Banned
I honestly think it is not finished but a start.
More and more bands these days have paid fanclubs where you get to prebuy tickets, and then the next wave goes out to people who have a certain credit card.
By the time tickets go on general sale all that is left are over priced nose bleeds.
The problem with this is, these scalping companies will just buy 30 copies of the cd from each place, buy this and that, and then throw them on ebay after using whatever code system there is.

There is no real answer to the ticket mess which is why I mostly go to shows at select clubs and venues here and not major arena stuff.

They usually do ID matching at smaller venues. It sucks if you give it to a friend though.

Kibbles

Other artists have been doing this for a while with ticketmaster so not sure why it's a big fuss now whereas Bruce Springsteen, Jay Z, and others were praised for "combating" scalpers for doing the same.

Sunster

This is a bit stupid. If it was about scalpers, just tie the ticket to the person who purchased it, show ID when going to the concert and done, problem solved. This is just some suits thinking they found a good idea to make more money.

yep that's what they do in other countries like, The Philippines. I have family there and one of them was in a situation where they needed cash and they regretted buying a ticket to a concert earlier. I suggested they sell the ticket but they explained you need to present ID to even enter the concert, it must match the ticket. idk why we don't do that here.

riotous

Banned
She's a product, products are advertised on lies... cars will make you an adventurer, cologne will make you sexy, and up-selling items saves you from scalpers.

Meh; I mostly support artists who don't use ticketmaster personally. Ever since Eddie Vedder /Pearl Jam boycotted ticketmaster loads of local shows here in Seattle are sold by less scammy sites where people don't have bots as nailed down.

But most arena shows are still ticketmaster; most club shows aren't.

I'm sorry, but fans actually do buy these things, why not include it in a system to combat scaplpers?

If y'all have better ideas on how to make a non anonymous way to purchase small amounts of tickets for you and your friends, without fighting scalpers, please throw the first stone.

Also its a well reknown factoid that the extensive fees charged by Ticketmaster, are usually associated with the locale. The system was made to have ticket sellers take the brunt of the blame, while the artists save their image and keep ticket costs low.

Skux

Aren't scalpers just selling tickets to "true fans" who are willing to pay that much anyway?

This won't change the makeup of her concerts. The only difference now is that her label gets a cut.

cruets

depeche mode did the same thing for their tour. buy a cd get a place in line, more cds you bought the better spot you got. but when it was time to buy tickets they just herded everyone in groups so the person who was first in line had the same chance as the person 100 in line lol

i just bought one cd and picked a less desirable city and ended up getting ok tickets in group two.

she wanna fight scalpers just do like bruce springsteen. have names on tickets and need id to enter with name matching tickets.

lenovox1

she wanna fight scalpers just do like bruce springsteen. have names on tickets and need id to enter with name matching tickets.

Did Springsteen do that for his last stadium sized tour? The amount of people he had to employ to check IDs alone must have been massive.

Other artists have been doing this for a while with ticketmaster so not sure why it's a big fuss now whereas Bruce Springsteen, Jay Z, and others were praised for "combating" scalpers for doing the same.

Because none of them used a buy stuff to get betyer but not guaranteed access. None of them said buy the album 13 times from 13 different places to get better but not guaranteed access.

This is new.

And Springsteen's plan was a disaster so he's not getting praised

DiscoJer

yep that's what they do in other countries like, The Philippines. I have family there and one of them was in a situation where they needed cash and they regretted buying a ticket to a concert earlier. I suggested they sell the ticket but they explained you need to present ID to even enter the concert, it must match the ticket. idk why we don't do that here.

Well, like the reason we shouldn't use them for voting, not everyone has one, as they are something you essentially have to pay for, it's not something the government just issues. Indeed, the most common ID accepted in the US is the driver's license, but a whole lot of people don't have driver's licenses because in order to get one you need to be able to drive a car, pass the test, do some other BS.

Kill3r7

Pearl Jam does this so much better but then again they actually care about their fans and hate Ticketmaster.

nomster

Pearl Jam does this so much better but then again they actually care about their fans and hate Ticketmaster.
I was just writing up the same response. Pearl Jam's system is awesome. The best tix in the house go to the fan club, and at cheap price (though you still have to pay a yearly fan club fee).

I'm sorry, but fans actually do buy these things, why not include it in a system to combat scaplpers?

If y'all have better ideas on how to make a non anonymous way to purchase small amounts of tickets for you and your friends, without fighting scalpers, please throw the first stone.

Also its a well reknown factoid that the extensive fees charged by Ticketmaster, are usually associated with the locale. The system was made to have ticket sellers take the brunt of the blame, while the artists save their image and keep ticket costs low.

People have already posted much better solutions, like requiring ID to match the ticket.

Oozer3993

This program is ONLY for presales. As far as I know, nothing has changed for the general sales. They will still be a free for all just as they always have been. To access the presales for her previous tours, one only needed to sign up for her email list and give a location. Every person who chose a given location got the same code. As you can imagine, scalpers abused the hell out of this. Presales for her last tour lasted about 30 minutes and few actual humans got the best seats. There were thousands of tickets available for every show before the general sale had even started. Which lasted for, again, about 30 minutes.

I'm not happy how this rewards spending money, but it's hard to tell at this juncture just how much that will help. I haven't spent a cent and the site claims I'm in a good position just from watching the music video a couple times. We'll see if that holds out. Scalpers are a severe problem for Taylor's shows. I'm not sure this is the best way to combat them, but it is something. And something was needed.

As an aside, tickets for Taylor's previous tours have always been far cheaper than those for other stars. I have never paid more than $180 for a ticket, and that was literally the best seat in the house. I was inside the damn stage! That same amount of money is what other artists charge for the lower bowl. It would take a hundred dollars more to get on the floor for Lady Gaga or Beyonce.

This program does many of those things, though it's not mentioned in the article. You must verify a phone number while registering, and you can't get more than 4 tickets. I think ID matching at the gate is controlled by the venue and several of the venues Taylor has used in the past do some form of it. My tickets for Cleveland and Detroit on her last tour were tied to the credit card I used to buy them. I could add additional cards or transfer the tickets, but even this seemed to cut down on the scalpers somewhat. Both shows had fewer tickets available second hand than the Pittsburgh show I went to that used Ticketmaster. And Taylor has a history of scheduling multiple shows in a city. She did it a bunch during the 1989 Tour. She played LA five times; Minnesota three times; Columbus two. She stopped at several football stadiums twice. She played nearly twice as many shows in North America during her last tour than Beyonce did during hers.

Kill3r7

I was just writing up the same response. Pearl Jam's system is awesome. The best tix in the house go to the fan club, and at cheap price (though you still have to pay a yearly fan club fee).

The fee is not a deal breaker. No more than what most folks donate to Patreon or to their favorite podcasts.

Top Bottom