• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift's New Ticket system that Disguises Profiteering as Fighting Scalpers

Monocle

The “pre-order and purchase boosts” are limited to 13 total across retailers.
Only 13??? Then how am I going to get a copy for every room of my house, my car, my friend's car, his glovebox and trunk, my favorite Grindr date's pad, and my local crack den?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Why not just sell plain white t-shirts for $100?

But that's totally worth it! These plain white shirts were in same room as Taytay herself!*

*Big Machine Records does not claim any responsibility regarding comments made about the advertised item and their presence or proximity to Ms. Swift or any Big Machine Records employees. Any value prescribed to the items in question in relation to such claims is purely at the discretion of the buyer at time of purchase. In completing this transaction, the customer waives any rights to seek legal or financial compensation regarding claims made by Big Machine Records, its affiliated advertisers, distributors, or any other associated person(s) or entities.

Sunster

Well, like the reason we shouldn't use them for voting, not everyone has one, as they are something you essentially have to pay for, it's not something the government just issues. Indeed, the most common ID accepted in the US is the driver's license, but a whole lot of people don't have driver's licenses because in order to get one you need to be able to drive a car, pass the test, do some other BS.

good point

lenovox1

The capitalist solution to blocking scalpers is obvious. Charge everyone the scalping price upfront. You can implement this directly via a Dutch auction. But some people say it's """immoral""" to deny everyone except Saudi princes access to the concert, so here we are.

Give the artists and their teams some credit.

If Swift and others wanted to only perform for Saudi royalty, they would never ever tour. She could easily plant her ass somewhere and not leave and have people come to her.

ZeoVGM

Banned
4711178-5282088910-Angel.jpg

This is a fantastic reference.

Keri

It's definitely not something I would participate in or pay money for, but who cares if other people want to spend their money and time, boosting their "maybe" spot in line? If they're disclosing there are no guarantees and people still want to participate then sounds OK to me.

Toparaman

Banned
Astonishing that she's basically embraced the fact she's a bitch

As if she makes the call on stuff like this. Taylor Swift (tm) is a brand, managed by at least a dozen people.

That's not me calling Swift's artistic credibility or talent into question. But most popular artists don't want to deal with the nitty gritty of the music business. They have people for that.

All that said, she should really step in and pull the plug on this thing.

lenovox1

As if she makes the call on stuff like this. Taylor Swift (tm) is a brand, managed by at least a dozen people.

That's not me calling Swift's artistic credibility or talent into question. But most popular artists don't want to deal with the nitty gritty of the music business. They have people for that.

All that said, she should really step in and pull the plug on this thing.

Eh. This is for pre-sale tickets.

Oozer3993

For what it's worth, here's my place in line after doing nothing more than watching the music video twice:

5nU17EH.png

(I'm not sure what the 3rd boost is. Maybe just signing up?)

DOWN

Banned
This system is powered by Verified Fan from TicketMaster. How does their Verified Fan program normally work?

Owari

I'm sure popGAF will be in here to defend her ASAP, just like when they defended her disgusting album release date.

lenovox1

I'm sure popGAF will be in here to defend her ASAP, just like when they defended her disgusting album release date.

So...
A) PopGAF isn't a thing anymore.
B) The only people that think she deliberately chose her album to release the same day as on the date a person she may not like anymore's mom died are insane. Equivalent to flat Earth truthers.

AHA-Lambda

Wow, this is impressively cynical.

And it's all "for the fans" of course.
Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

The correct way to fight scalpers without jacking prices up to in infinity is to force people to verify a phone number (no VOIP) to register, show ID name matching the ticket purchaser at the gate, limit the number of tickets purchased to 2 (effectively doubling the price and forcing the scalper to go to the concert in order to resell the second ticket), give tickets out in a lottery system (so no one is guaranteed a ticket, just an entry), and to schedule several shows so as to sate demand.

... they already do this.

You have to verify your phone number, there's a ticket limit, on high end tours you have to show your ID (Mayweather fight was Verified Fan and let no one is without ID, wouldn't be surprised if Taylor Swift was too), there's no guarantee after you register and is based on a scoring lottery system, and they do it across all shows.

I bought The National tickets in Toronto for December. I could only buy 2 per mailing address and have to show ID (it says).

Its funny because I got an email about presale and got 2 tickets but then when the real tickets came on sale I bought 2 more for my friend and the tickets I got at regular sale were 50x better for the same price! Your biggest fans who you email presale codes to get the worst seats.....fuck bands (and ticketmaster).

CloudWolf

Yeah, I actually laughed when I saw the trailer for this. It's so fucking stupid, but you just know that all the hardcore fangirls (and boys, if she has those) will fall for it. It's just straight up taking advantage of your fans.

This is hilarious.....

Friends on Facebook were excited about this, I mentioned that if she really wanted to get tix to real fans she'd do a fan club lottery system like Pearl Jam

lenovox1

Yeah, I actually laughed when I saw the trailer for this. It's so fucking stupid, but you just know that all the hardcore fangirls (and boys, if she has those) will fall for it. It's just straight up taking advantage of your fans.

Can't really agree with you there. While it's nowhere near as fair is a straight-up a lottery system, these tickets are only for pre-sales. Again, the Harper fans that are going to buy into this would have bought all of that shit anyways.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Man, what is Gaf's thing with Taylor Swift?

I thought PopGaf being removed was a Godsend at the time, but it sent a bunch of crazy motherfuckers into the Wild West and they went batshit insane.

This is actually how they do ticketing for fan club concerts and events and stuff in Japan.

Japanese fans of anything have too much money and the process for separating them from as much of it as possible is very efficient there.

Top Bottom