• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

LogicStep

lush said:
Yeah, I'm sucking at questioning/interrogating as well. I think I'm striking out in the False/Lie department. It's usually pretty obvious when someone isn't giving you all that they know, I usually just end up second guessing myself, Phelps will respond completely different from what I was expecting, and then I get disappointed. I'm definitely going to be replaying these cases again to perfect them. It will be done.

It does seem like you end up having to guess which choice is correct a good bit of the time though as truth, false, and lie don't always seem to apply to some of the situations. Still having a blast though. Left off where it told me to switch to disk 2.
I suck at it too, its obvious when they're telling the truth, but when it isn't I never know if I have to doubt or call a lie.

This game is amazing though, going back to other games is going to be really hard... these faces are too good.

jackrubyn

Is there any incentive to just fuck around in this game? I know this isn't GTA and that you can't (and really shouldn't, either) shoot civilians (can you run them over with your car, by the way? Or do they just dive away like in Driver or Midtown Madness?) but can you ignore whatever story mission that lies ahead, and just roam around? If so, what is there to do? I've read something about
hidden newspapers, is it like the packages from GTA?
. Is there anything else to do?
Stuff do to outside of the main story usually go a long way to keep me playing a game, whereas a game with "only" the main story usually only lasts the one playthrough.

JaseC said:
Ah, I thought it was yours since you uploaded it to your photobucket account.

Knowing Kotaku they probably did pinch it from here, though. :p A year or two ago somebody made a thread about how Naughty Dog sponsors his local animal shelter. Kotaku snapped it up, cropped his picture of the place a little and passed it off as their own.

Video game journalism!

Yeah, the dude had it on his blog, but he took it down - lucky I saved it though which is why it's on my photo bucket because I re-uploaded lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah, the dude had it on his blog, but he took it down - lucky I saved it though which is why it's on my photo bucket because I re-uploaded lol.

Fair enough! R* probably told him to take it down, the over-zealous buggers. :p

bill0527 said:
Totally agree about the game being awesome so far.

I also agree about the gunfight controls and driving. We're going on 10 years of awesome games and bad controls from R*. For this game, clearly they spent the money on the animation and voice acting.

MAN.
That's fucking lame.

Coming from the sublime movement, controller input and 'on-screen character doing what you want them to do 95% of the time'-ness of the GoW3 Beta, I'm thinking that I'm going to find this one hell of a jarring experience; GTAIV/RDR hardly satisfy the abovementioned attributes.

REPEAT AFTER ME: "CONTROLS AND ANIMATION". Balls to you, R*.

Anybody know when/how you get the Sword of Justice outfit?

I'm at the traffic desk (which is when the wiki says you get it), but it still hasn't unlocked for me.

JambiBum

zazrx said:
I suck at it too, its obvious when they're telling the truth, but when it isn't I never know if I have to doubt or call a lie.

This game is amazing though, going back to other games is going to be really hard... these faces are too good.
Look at it this way. If you think they are lying check your evidence. If you have something that you can call them out on then it is a lie. If not then it is doubt. More often than not it is doubt.

The Antitype said:
Anybody know when/how you get the Sword of Justice outfit?

I'm at the traffic desk (which is when the wiki says you get it), but it still hasn't unlocked for me.
Hmm... I think it unlocked for me after I did my 2nd or 3rd street mission. That's when a little notification popped up, at least. Wonder why I got it then...

The Lamp

As awesome as the facial animation is, the eyes are terrible. Glassy and unfocused. Uncharted/2 at least seemed to understand how to properly animate eyes, since they're the most important part of the face we focus on.

I'm watching these beautiful faces harbor dead, motionless eyes and it's very uncanny and annoying.

On the bright side, Cole controls much better than Niko or John Marston.

JambiBum said:
Look at it this way. If you think they are lying check your evidence. If you have something that you can call them out on then it is a lie. If not then it is doubt. More often than not it is doubt.

This bothered me (regarding the case shown in the Kotaku video--spoilers)
when Jessica was in the hospital and I asked her what happened, she said nothing happened last night. I said lie and selected the evidence that obviously proved that she was in a car accident and was drugged. The game told me I was wrong! And I just finished the case and that was all indeed true, so wtf!

jackrubyn said:
Is there any incentive to just fuck around in this game? I know this isn't GTA and that you can't (and really shouldn't, either) shoot civilians (can you run them over with your car, by the way? Or do they just dive away like in Driver or Midtown Madness?) but can you ignore whatever story mission that lies ahead, and just roam around? If so, what is there to do? I've read something about
hidden newspapers, is it like the packages from GTA?
. Is there anything else to do?
Stuff do to outside of the main story usually go a long way to keep me playing a game, whereas a game with "only" the main story usually only lasts the one playthrough.

You can run over people, but they are quite good at jumping out of the way, actually I believe that if you hit enough of them you'll fail your mission. As for messing around in the open world, there isn't much to do besides the side missions and roam around looking for landmarks and different vehicles to complete your collection. As for newspapers, there aren't many of them and I've only found them in missions so far, they all come with a story.

Just finished the Fallen Idol game game is really fun. But, boy am I have a hard time with interrogation, i was 7/14 in that case. I feel like im choosing the right answer based upon how they look, then nope it's wrong.

Teknoman

About the car collection, do you have to go to the specific garage at all times? And i'm guessing after the side missions are done, thats when it'll be time to have fun with the hidden cars?

The Lamp said:
As awesome as the facial animation is, the eyes are terrible. Glassy and unfocused. Uncharted/2 at least seemed to understand how to properly animate eyes, since they're the most important part of the face we focus on.
Whoa whoa whoa.

I'm fine with criticizing LA Noire's flaws but referencing Uncharted and properly animating eyes?

Too much sir. Too much.

IMACOMPUTA

Game's cool.
Kind of easy to read people.. I wish they didn't do an infinite loop while you get to select truth lie or doubt.

Also : It sucks that you cant push your partner out of your way. I walked into a gas station (for no reason) and my partner stood in the doorway. He wouldn't move no matter what and i had to restart the mission.

(just saw the thing about quitting to the main menu... wish i would have!)

I like the game though. I'm glad they're trying something new and cool like this.

DrBo42

Congratulations, you've been promoted from Burglary. Wait...wat? Haha. They took out content but still left in VA referring to it? Ouch.

The Lamp

Buckethead said:
Whoa whoa whoa.

I'm fine with criticizing LA Noire's flaws but referencing Uncharted and properly animating eyes?

Too much sir. Too much.

Making of documentaries talked about how carefully they considered the eyes, and yes, if you watch the cutscenes, they took great care in making sure the eyes bead and naturally move around in the socket during conversation. Moments when I would see Chloe's eyes dart around and search Nate's face were moments I recall vividly.

They hardly animated the eyeballs at all in LA Noire. They stare off into space in the middle of conversation when the head turns instead of looking at the subject sometimes.

So are there 40 street missions in the game total, or does it vary between cases/points in the story? Also, is there any way to save? It's annoying when I want to find new vehicles and add them to my tally, but have to look for some checkpoint in a mission so that it saves that data...

so if I'm replaying a case can I stop and resume from its checkpoint later or will that resume where I am in the actual game? I just failed again...

EDIT: okay, so it creates a new save file every time I replay a case, and I can choose which save to resume when selecting resume from the main menu. WHY does this game not explain any of this stuff?

The Lamp said:
Making of documentaries talked about how carefully they considered the eyes, and yes, if you watch the cutscenes, they took great care in making sure the eyes bead and naturally move around in the socket during conversation. Moments when I would see Chloe's eyes dart around and search Nate's face were moments I recall vividly.

They hardly animated the eyeballs at all in LA Noire. They stare off into space in the middle of conversation when the head turns instead of looking at the subject sometimes.
I wish I could see a making off this game. I think its not easy keeping your head still while a bunch of Hi Tech Cameras are recording up close on you to get those details and act like you were there, while trying to keep your body still. Its not like the whole scene were made in Mocaps so it could look like Uncharted. Animations are incredible in this game. Reactions, nervousness of the people. They capture what they really wanted and accomplished it. Whole focus of this game is face Animation and LA design model.

The Lamp

Buckethead said:
That's nice, I wish I could have seen the eyes over the hyper-teary eyes or 20 layers of gloss.

That has...nothing to do with the way they were animated.

SixStringPsycho said:
I wish I could see a making off this game. I think its not easy keeping your head still while a bunch of Hi Tech Cameras are recording up close on you to get those details and act like you were there, while trying to keep your body still. Its not like the whole scene were made in Mocaps so it could look like Uncharted. Animations are incredible in this game. Reactions, nervousness of the people. They capture what they really wanted and accomplished it. Whole focus of this game is face Animation and LA design model.

I know, I saw the videos, it looks very difficult to accomplish animating a person when the head is isolated from the body and they have to stay still.

However, I still wish they had kept the faces, but animated the eyes separately, and more carefully.

saunderez

The Lamp said:
You do realise you're interogating people right? Their eyes aren't going to be acting naturally unless they have nothing to hide. And in this game nearly everyone has something to hide. If they are lying or being shifty they deliberately try not to look you in the eye a lot of the time as well as making the usual tells.

The Lamp

saunderez said:
You do realise you're interogating people right? Their eyes aren't going to be acting naturally unless they have nothing to hide. And in this game nearly everyone has something to hide. If they are lying or being shifty they deliberately try not to look you in the eye a lot of the time as well as making the usual tells.

But that's not even what I mean. During the standard "doubt" and "truth" faces that they program for correct yes/no responses, they seem to move around naturally pretty well, I'll give you that. I remember
Mrs. McAffee's
shifty glances quite well after interrogation.

But in conversation, for some reason, the eyes do not look natural at all. They look like they are staring straight off the planet.

Necromanti said:
Hmm... I think it unlocked for me after I did my 2nd or 3rd street mission. That's when a little notification popped up, at least. Wonder why I got it then...

Street mission, as in, still in police uniform? Or just after you made detective?

JambiBum

The Lamp said:

I'm watching these beautiful faces harbor dead, motionless eyes and it's very uncanny and annoying.

On the bright side, Cole controls much better than Niko or John Marston.

This bothered me (regarding the case shown in the Kotaku video--spoilers)
when Jessica was in the hospital and I asked her what happened, she said nothing happened last night. I said lie and selected the evidence that obviously proved that she was in a car accident and was drugged. The game told me I was wrong! And I just finished the case and that was all indeed true, so wtf!
Did you choose the
underwear

iratA

Buckethead said:
Whoa whoa whoa.

Too much sir. Too much.

As much as I love the Uncharted games, eye detail and animations were probably my single biggest complaint. Eyes are tough and need a lot of attention. I think Heavy Rain had the best looking eyes so far this gen, although animations could still use some work. LA Noire's facial tech really is special though and is the big attention grabber.

styl3s

The Lamp said:
That has...nothing to do with the way they were animated.

I know, I saw the videos, it looks very difficult to accomplish animating a person when the head is isolated from the body and they have to stay still.

However, I still wish they had kept the faces, but animated the eyes separately, and more carefully.
maybe a few years down the road they will develop some kind of a harness cam for the shoulders/chest that allows people to move around it track their entire head/face while wearing mocap suits

it would take gaming to a whole new fucking level and it can be done, may not be able to do it now but by "next gen" it will and its gonna be fucking AWESOME

iratA said:
As much as I love the Uncharted games, eye detail and animations were probably my single biggest complaint. Eyes are tough and need a lot of attention. I think Heavy Rain had the best looking eyes so far this gen, although animations could still use some work. LA Noire's facial tech really is special though and is the big attention grabber.
Yeah I am not a fan.

Teknoman

styl3s said:
maybe a few years down the road they will develop some kind of a harness cam for the shoulders/chest that allows people to move around it track their entire head/face while wearing mocap suits

it would take gaming to a whole new fucking level and it can be done, may not be able to do it now but by "next gen" it will and its gonna be fucking AWESOME

As long as GTA V and the next Red Dead use this facial mapping+ Euphoria or an even better physics engine.

aperman

Neo Member
anyone else in the LA area get their amazon release date shipment delayed because of a mechanical issue with one of UPS' planes?

my copy is in Arizona instead of in my 360. :(

sad first post..

samdavis

Neo Member
Evlar said:
This is a transformational game. You take one of the most linear of game types- the adventure game- and you mash it up with the huge, detailed, explorable overworld of a GTA clone. You shake it up and it doesn't work, right? Correct, it doesn't work... Until you add about ten thousand hours of voice work and facial capture, a decent script and gifted actors, and this one golden idea- that sifting truth from lies based on expression and intonation can be a gameplay mechanic. Then you've achieved something new and exciting.

Altered Carbon adaptation using the best elements of L.A. Noire and GTA is next on the agenda. Replete with voice acting, facial tech, and script. It MUST happen.

Fjordson

samdavis said:
Altered Carbon adaptation using the best elements of L.A. Noire and GTA is next on the agenda. Replete with voice acting, facial tech, and script. It MUST happen.
Yep. Cyberpunk/Blade Runner-esque game with a massive open world city has been my dream game for years now.

Plasmid

Major, Spoilers.

So, i just "finished" the black dahlia case, my god, that was great, fuck the ending of it though! But now im Ad Vice, getting dope dealers and dealing with my new snarkie asshole partner.

Fjordson said:
Yep. Cyberpunk/Blade Runner-esque game with a massive open world city has been my dream game for years now.

Well, it's pretty obvious that the next thing we're going to be getting is a 1950s era sci-fi expansion. You know, Mars Attacks style aliens and the whole bit.

Like Zombies for Red Dead.

Oneself

Started playing about 2 hours ago and it's stunningly good. In fact, it's already my favorite Rockstar-published game this gen, bravo Team Bondi.

Also, don't worry if you don't "get into it" as soon as it starts.. because it starts a little slow IMO; once you learn the basics, it really becomes awesome.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Done the first two traffic cases so far -
The guy that faked his own death, and the "hit and run" set-up.

I'm liking the game quite a bit. As a mix of Heavy Rain and Phoenix Wright I'm just glad this is a thing that exists, on principal. I want to see more products like this. It's exciting that this is (seemingly) what a lot of gamers want to play, again. Since it's always been the sort of thing I was into.

Some elements I'm not happy with -

- As I suspected, the open world seems to add nothing. Seems like the game could have been a lot stronger (and easier to create?) with a series of several "sets" making up each case, instead of a complete LA map.

- Some very frustrating moments when Cole doesn't react the way that I was expecting or intending. When I was grilling (Traffic case 1 spoiler)
Adrian's buddy - the one helping him hide from his wife
I selected "doubt" for a moment he was obviously lying. Cole then launched into some tirade about how he had KILLED his friend and was covering it up & that he should just admit it. I was like "WTF no, you dipshit."

- It's not really LA Noire's fault, but the game another example in a long list of examples of why this medium can't really go toe to toe with books or movies (yet!) when it comes to telling stories. I was on Cole's first case and I responded to a random street crime. It was resolved with Cole shooting a dude in the fucking head. He then went about his business, stone-faced, and returned to the case at hand. Does this sound like something that would happen in one of the film noir flicks the game is emulating?

Again, I know that pointing this out is picking on the game a little bit, since it's more of a "video gamey" thing in general. But when a game is making a real effort to stand on it's storytelling, killing someone needs to mean something!

- Not really happy with the action controls. The contextual investigative controls are nice, but I keep fumbling around when shooting, using cover, aiming down gun sights, etc.

Top Bottom