• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

rdrr gnr

I am not enjoying how the interrogations whatsoever.
I was under the assumption I'd be able to ask questions like in a speech tree, and trap people with the aid of evidence. Instead, it's like a matching game that is not very well done. I hope this frustration is simply a result of my unfamiliarity with how the game works. Besides that, I am enjoying the game.

lush

Yeah, I'm sucking at questioning/interrogating as well. I think I'm striking out in the False/Lie department. It's usually pretty obvious when someone isn't giving you all that they know, I usually just end up second guessing myself, Phelps will respond completely different from what I was expecting, and then I get disappointed. I'm definitely going to be replaying these cases again to perfect them. It will be done.

It does seem like you end up having to guess which choice is correct a good bit of the time though as truth, false, and lie don't always seem to apply to some of the situations. Still having a blast though. Left off where it told me to switch to disk 2.

cackhyena

I have the triggers, it still feels awkward, but what can you do. Nothing is as good as the 360 triggers. I am really, really digging this game. just made it to Homicide. The beat cop stuff wasn't pulling me in, as soon as I hit Detective, it all clicked. I'm kinda floored by it all.

I hope these guys make plenty of these games in the future in all kinds of eras/fiction. Honing their craft and making, basically, my ideal adventure game right here. Little action, little snooping around, little story and a shitload of immersion.

Aspiring said:
Just rang en and asked if they will sell it since street date has been broken but they said no. Grrrrrrrr

Uploaded the receipt to my photobucket so it's there permanent now :)

image.png

Also - here's EB AUS Twitter... EB's Buyer is currently taking to Take Two about the break and getting Authorisation to sell RE: the break so there is still a chance for today. Don't give up hope fellow Aussies.

http://twitter.com/#!/ebgamesaus

BAH it seems like the street date break for Lego has been approved... it's positive that they're moving on the breaks at least.

Aspiring

ColonialRaptor said:
Uploaded the receipt to my photobucket so it's there permanent now :)

image.png

Also - here's EB AUS Twitter... EB's Buyer is currently taking to Take Two about the break and getting Authorisation to sell RE: the break so there is still a chance for today. Don't give up hope fellow Aussies.

http://twitter.com/#!/ebgamesaus

BAH it seems like the street date break for Lego has been approved... it's positive that they're moving on the breaks at least.

Fuck yeah! Its 2:30 now so hopefully within the next hour. Fingers crossed! Than again they are probably just saying shit so people dont bail on them and buy it elsewhere!

rdrr gnr

lush said:
Yeah, I'm sucking at questioning/interrogating as well. I think I'm striking out in the False/Lie department. It's usually pretty obvious when someone isn't giving you all that they know, I usually just end up second guessing myself, Phelps will respond completely different from what I was expecting, and then I get disappointed. I'm definitely going to be replaying these cases again to perfect them. It will be done.

It does seem like you end up having to guess which choice is correct a good bit of the time though as truth, false, and lie don't always seem to apply to some of the situations. Still having a blast though. Left off where it told me to switch to disk 2.
Yeah, I completely agree with this post. My feelings exactly. Whether or not it gets better (thus whether or not I enjoy this game) will depend on these interrogations.

The Lamp

suspecting lies is becoming harder and harder
(not specific plot or case spoilers but just general observations)
At the beginning you could tell who was lying based on their standard facial expressions. It seemed that they had designed one for truth, one for lies, and maybe one sort of inbetween. I could just pick which one they were based on the face and it would be relatively straightforward and correct. However, now the liars are getting good! They are keeping straight, pleasant faces, yet sometimes they'll look like they're lying when they're really telling the truth.

MuseManMike said:
I am not enjoying how the interrogations whatsoever.
I was under the assumption I'd be able to ask questions like in a speech tree, and trap people with the aid of evidence. Instead, it's like a matching game that is not very well done. I hope this frustration is simply a result of my unfamiliarity with how the game works. Besides that, I am enjoying the game.

I agree. Interrogations are kind of clumsy and I don't really like the way they did them. Then again I'm only a couple of hours in, maybe they will become a little more complex later on.

kaskade

This game is awesome. It's pretty crazy being able to identify actors and actresses by their looks. I'm 99% sure that the bishop wife is daisy from californication.

lush said:

What gets me is that sometimes people seem to say something that will look like a lie and you THINK you have the evidence to call them out on it but instead you should have doubted. I was doing seemingly fine in this game up until The Golden Butterfly. I felt kind of misled by the end.

Also, the amount of evidence you can collect in the game honestly becomes a bit overwhelming for me, so I feel I have something on ANYONE, and that's not always the case. I really hate that I'm conditioned to restart after fucking up in a game, because that's really hampering the experience a bit and it's something I really can't help.

Aspiring

Am i right is saying that this "Rockstar pass" did not get released? I cant find it on the store, and i am still curious as to what it is.

Milly79

kaskade said:
This game is awesome. It's pretty crazy being able to identify actors and actresses by their looks. I'm 99% sure that the bishop wife is daisy from californication.
Seriously! Im glad someone else thinks that. It looks and sounds like her. I tried finding some info, but I couldn't.

iratA

Aspiring said:
Fuck yeah! Its 2:30 now so hopefully within the next hour. Fingers crossed! Than again they are probably just saying shit so people dont bail on them and buy it elsewhere!

What the hell man?! I'm going down to my local Gametraders to pick me one up now.

Gooster said:
What gets me is that sometimes people seem to say something that will look like a lie and you THINK you have the evidence to call them out on it but instead you should have doubted. I was doing seemingly fine in this game up until The Golden Butterfly. I felt kind of misled by the end.

Also, the amount of evidence you can collect in the game honestly becomes a bit overwhelming for me, so I feel I have something on ANYONE, and that's not always the case. I really hate that I'm conditioned to restart after fucking up in a game, because that's really hampering the experience a bit and it's something I really can't help.

I was almost certain I was going to get a case failed pop up after the golden butterfly

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Aspiring said:
Am i right is saying that this "Rockstar pass" did not get released? I cant find it on the store, and i am still curious as to what it is.
Correct, no release yet. Maybe they delayed it on the count of the PS Store being down.

Aspiring

iratA said:
What the hell man?! I'm going down to my local Gametraders to pick me one up now.

I think this is the smart thing to do. I just want the DLC. So i will wait.

#EBAUNEWS Hey guys, We will update you about #LANoire as info comes. We will not sell it without approval from the vendors. Hold tight

I holding EB, dont you give me the shits!

Killthee said:
Correct, no release yet. Maybe they delayed it on the count of the PS Store being down.

Cool thanks for the answer! I really just want to know what it is lol.

Aspiring said:
I holding EB, dont you give me the shits!.

Apparently GameTraders Chadstone is clamming up their copies trying to cover their arses now as well.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/relax-folks-l-a-noire-has-not-broken-street-date/

At least Kotaku is putting the pressure on the retailers, BUT... Take Two are probably not going to allow the game to go on sale.

I don't know why not, because it's only the most KEEN of KEEN gamers that want it and it's just one day early... what's the difference to them? The only thing it does it make their customers happier earlier...

Aspiring

ColonialRaptor said:
Apparently GameTraders Chadstone is clamming up their copies trying to cover their arses now as well.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/relax-folks-l-a-noire-has-not-broken-street-date/

At least Kotaku is putting the pressure on the retailers, BUT... Take Two are probably not going to allow the game to go on sale.

I don't know why not, because it's only the most KEEN of KEEN gamers that want it and it's just one day early... what's the difference to them? The only thing it does it make their customers happier earlier...

Yeah and now EB are using this shit to try and NOT sell it. I dont get it, its one day, and its street date has been broken. Once that copy was sold, its was broken, just give me my fucking copy lol.

Put in about 3 hours today and just finished the first traffic case, along with a good handful of side missions. Absolutely loving it but like others, I'm having some difficulty with the interrogations. Most of the time I'm not picking the right piece of evidence.

Besides that, I'm really, really enjoying it. Not sure how I feel about Phelps yet as a character. And those facial animations? DAMN SON, so awesome.

Plasmid said:
Isn't gaming in AUS the hardest thing to do (restrictions, price etc)?

I feel bad for L.Aus. Noire bros :(.

Yep, I'm trying to Ninja myself a copy of the game but it seems that Take Two (the distributers for Rockstar in Aus) are really pulling in the reigns and stopping the break dead in it's tracks.

I think the Kotaku article hasn't helped :/

It's too bad the actual body animations aren't even close to matching the facial ones. The facial tech is so great that despite the body's being very well animated, they just feel totally off. It actually sort of takes me out of the scene sometimes because the difference is so jarring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ColonialRaptor said:

Another Kotaku article, another image pulled from GAF without credit given. Happens all the time.

megalowho

I lurve this game. It's a fucking old school adventure game, police procedural style. Really enjoying the methodical pacing and, of course, the tech is jaw dropping. Going back to play until I pass out on the couch.

bill0527

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Gunfight controls suck, driving is kind of meh... THE GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME THOUGH!

Totally agree about the game being awesome so far.

I also agree about the gunfight controls and driving. We're going on 10 years of awesome games and bad controls from R*. For this game, clearly they spent the money on the animation and voice acting.

Evlar

Banned
This is a transformational game. You take one of the most linear of game types- the adventure game- and you mash it up with the huge, detailed, explorable overworld of a GTA clone. You shake it up and it doesn't work, right? Correct, it doesn't work... Until you add about ten thousand hours of voice work and facial capture, a decent script and gifted actors, and this one golden idea- that sifting truth from lies based on expression and intonation can be a gameplay mechanic. Then you've achieved something new and exciting.

Fjordson

bill0527 said:
We're going on 10 years of awesome games and bad controls from R*. For this game, clearly they spent the money on the animation and voice acting.
Even the driving controls? I think driving is a lot of fun in this.

The combat feels similar to RDR to me, which I like (though I know most people don't).

Rockstar has another great game on it's hands. Hopefully they buy (if they haven't already) Team Bondi.

It's not quite on par with Red Dead (my favorite game this gen) but it's pretty damn close.

The only thing I dont like is that
too many cases devolve into chases

TheExodu5

Banned
The interrogations haven't been bad so far. Sure, it's a game of guess and match, but it's fun. It's basically Phoenix Wright with face reading, which is fine by me.

As for the gunfights... Just set auto aim to high and let the fights play themselves out. It's not the point of the game. I think the gunfights have been quite silly and unnecessary so far.

The driving is not that great, you're right. Vehicles are far too sensitive when steering.

I can tell a game is special when I lay in bed and think about the game... like right now I should be sleeping but all I can think about is my case and looking at the Noire thread on Gaf...

JaseC said:
Another Kotaku article, another image pulled from GAF without credit given. Happens all the time.

Hah... I didn't think of it like that... lol!

But I did take it from that other dudes blog before he took it down, and it there seem to be a few discussions on a couple of aussie forums happening about it...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ColonialRaptor said:
But I did take it from that other dudes blog before he took it down, and it there seem to be a few discussions on a couple of aussie forums happening about it...

Ah, I thought it was yours since you uploaded it to your photobucket account.

Knowing Kotaku they probably did pinch it from here, though. :p A year or two ago somebody made a thread about how Naughty Dog sponsors his local animal shelter. Kotaku snapped it up, cropped his picture of the place a little and passed it off as their own.

Video game journalism!

Evlar

Banned
2San said:
I still find it odd how crappy the marketing off this game. Unless you browse gamings sites with regularity you have no way of knowing of it's existence.

I first found this out when went paint balling with some friends(most of them casual gamers) I haven't seen in a while. While driving in the car we where talking about games. One guy mentions what are those Rockstar guys doing anyhow? So I say L.A.Noire and what's it about. None of them have heard about it. 5 of them pre-ordered the game a few days later. I've been asking my other friends if they are aware of it's existence. No one knew. A good chunk of these people where aware of Red Dead before release which wasn't even a Rockstar North game.

I'm from the Netherlands if that explains the situation somewhat. I can see this game doing a lot worse than expected.
It's getting massive coverage in the US. As in, I'm playing L.A. Noire while my wife sits next to me browsing the internet on her laptop. I glance over- she's loading a page on Youtube and, yes, there's a banner ad for L.A. Noire.

at the beginning of the 8th case now. gonna stop for the night.

couple of things:

•the presentation is superb
•why do they give you a couple hidden car locations (?) on the map?
•really like the car handling (spent some time just going back and forth going to those (?) locations)
•who plays the coroner?
•once they let you loose on the city("streets of LA") you realize the awesomeness of what your playing
•creepy neighbor guy from show "cougar town" is also creepy here lol
•why aren't coles partners pissed at how awesome he is?
•think i'm gonna stop replaying cases until i've finished all because it started to feel like it was taking away from the experience

Aspiring

JaseC said:
Ah, I thought it was yours since you uploaded it to your photobucket account.

Knowing Kotaku they probably did pinch it from here, though. :p A year or two ago somebody made a thread about how Naughty Dog sponsors his local animal shelter. Kotaku snapped it up, cropped his picture of the place a little and passed it off as their own.

Video game journalism!

lol. Bunch of clowns!

I wish restarting a case didn't start you ALL the way at the start of that level..unskippable cutscenes suck..I like watching a bunch of people trip over someone I knocked over.

pantyhelmet said:
I wish restarting a case didn't start you ALL the way at the start of that level..unskippable cutscenes suck..I like watching a bunch of people trip over someone I knocked over.

I haven't tried it yet but... I think as you're playing cases it's probably easier to quit game and then select "resume" from the main menu rather than selecting "restart" from the pause screen. I don't think the game saves that often that you can probably quit after making a mistake to save yourself... unless selecting resume starts you back at the beginning that's just terrible

JambiBum

pantyhelmet said:
Don't hit restart. Quit out to the main menu and you will reload at the last checkpoint

Top Bottom