• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Gacha-pin

Got a copy (PS3 pal version).
I think some people asked about 1080 output support and didn't get an answer.
I can confirm PS3 version doesn't support it...you should consider to pick a 360 version or get a better TV.
And Consul's car is NA exclusive.

JonCha said:
Two people hope that GAME will send out L.A. Noire today, and then I literally get this (from GAME) in my inbox:

I will laugh hard if I get this today.

Mine was sent out yesterday or so they said. No show so i think it will come tomorrow.

Acquiescence said:
Comparisons to Heavy Rain? Shenmue?! Oh lord, this game can't arrive quickly enough. Such a torturous wait.

This! It's been compared to Heavy Rain, Shenmue and the Ace Attorney games...all some of my favourites of all time! <3

It's like the three of them all had one big orgy and the result is L.A Noire! It seems to borrow something from all of them.

Dries

So it seems the interrogations are what a lot of people are having trouble on. Don't you get better at them after a while?

Fjordson

Dries said:
So it seems the interrogations are what a lot of people are having trouble on. Don't you get better at them after a while?
Definitely. If you keep in mind that the lying option requires hard evidence to back it up then it makes things less complicated. I was all over the place at first, but towards the end of the Traffic desk I started getting the hang of it.

DrBo42 said:
Not saying that it's not the version to get, it definitely is. I'm just saying that as the best version, it's still pretty bad. Trying to at least give a warning to people picking it up that might think the PS3 version has no issues.

yeah when you pan the camera the framerate takes a major nosedive. it's really distracting.

seattle7997

Neo Member
I picked up my pre-order from Gamestop yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see a little transparent white envelope with 7 little film rolls that are clues for the locations of the badges in the "Naked City" case, iirc. It also included the codes for the case and the code for the "Consul's Car" case, which since the store is still down, can't be redeemed.

Did anyone else get the Piano Gun for being a powerup member and pre-ordering before April 20th?

Got a couple hours in last night and really really enjoying it. The interogation stuff is really hard but I'm finally getting to understand it, I'm glad its not easy as its one of my favorite parts. The 360 version has tons of pop in but I can get over that, can't wait to get home from work and play some more

Lakitu

st5fu
Cerebral Assassin said:
I just recieved the E-Mail too, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

I haven't received mine yet.

Favouritism is what it is. Screw you Game. Just because I have a funny name.

Stampy

Dries said:

Yes, but not because you suddenly become a better detective, but rather because you get used to the gameplay mechanics that the game is forcing on you.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The beginning had instructions written in Comic Sans.

2/10

harrytang

i decided i'm playing this whole game in black and white. the colors are fine but the atmosphere is elevated by the black and white filter. also when you turn it on its actually a lot brighter than you'd think it would be. obviously spent time making it work well. i think it enhances the facial animations as well, sort of how the flashbacks all seem to look more realistic.

Lakitu said:
I haven't received mine yet.

Favouritism is what it is. Screw you Game. Just because I have a funny name.

Maybe Game aren't the biggest Mario fans?

I can't wait for this to turn up though, Charlie Brookers impressions on Twitter have upped the hype considerably.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I could wade through the thread to get the info I'm looking for but I don't want to be unintentionally spoiled.

I saw the lens of truth comparisons and it's clear that the PS3 version looks a tad better but how does it perform? Any major frame dives or screen tearing? Any freezing issues? Long load times? Basically I'll only be able to buy either the Witcher 2 or LA: Noire. It may seem like a loaded question to ask, especially in a LA: Noire thread. But which should I get and which should I wait for a price drop on? My heart tells me to buy Witcher 2 but my brain says a steam sale might happen a bit sooner than a LA : Noire price drop.

What say you GAF collective?

edit: Sorry if I was unclear I would be purchasing the game on PS3

Tom Penny

The more I play the more I realize your probably not supposed to get every answer right because nobody does in reality. If you do. Great. If not you just move on. I used the back button alot when I'm about to call someone a liar because I realize I have no proof. Then it's just a doubt truth pick.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RbBrdMan said:
I could wade through the thread to get the info I'm looking for but I don't want to be unintentionally spoiled.

I saw the lens of truth comparisons and it's clear that the PS3 version looks a tad better but how does it perform? Any major frame dives or screen tearing? Any freezing issues? Long load times? Basically I'll only be able to buy either the Witcher 2 or LA: Noire. It may seem like a loaded question to ask, especially in a LA: Noire thread. But which should I get and which should I wait for a price drop on? My heart tells me to buy Witcher 2 but my brain says a steam sale might happen a bit sooner than a LA : Noire price drop.

What say you GAF collective?

edit: Sorry if I was unclear I would be purchasing the game on PS3
No screen tear, great framerate sans a few places here and there, and looks way better than GTAIV. (PS3)

So does anyone know if those street crimes come back again if I don't respond to them the first time around? I really don't like doing them during a case.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
chubigans said:
So does anyone know if those street crimes come back again if I don't respond to them the first time around? I really don't like doing them during a case.

they do come back. And if you respond to one it can affect the outcome of your current case.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
chubigans said:
No screen tear, great framerate sans a few places here and there, and looks way better than GTAIV. (PS3)

Thanks Chubs, looks like it's flip a coin time.

Definity

TONX said:
they do come back. And if you respond to one it can affect the outcome of your current case.
Yep, I responded to one and the main case I was working on ended a bit differently since I was taking my time getting to a crime scene.

Game is awesome. Loving it.

Kolgar

The game looks to be an important milestone in game development, but all I know is that I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Driving and walking can be clunky, but the atmosphere, dialog, and investigation and interrogation aspects elevate this to something special. I bombed out of my first few interrogations but have been nailing these perps something fierce ever since.

Glad the PS3 game-saves copy from console to console. Made it easier to switch from living room to bedroom last night, where I stayed up too late playing. :)

Game looks excellent and the only mild problem I have with the PS3 performance (aside from the damn DualShock) is that the PS3's blu-ray drive makes a heck of a racket during play. I have an 80-gig fatty and a 120-gig slim, and I guess I'm just used to the whisper-quiet of playing these types of games installed to the hard drive of my 360.

FYI, I *will* gobble up any and all DLC for this game--it's a foregone conclusion.

Tricky I Shadow said:
This! It's been compared to Heavy Rain, Shenmue and the Ace Attorney games...all some of my favourites of all time! <3

It's like the three of them all had one big orgy and the result is L.A Noire! It seems to borrow something from all of them.

I'm not seeing the Heavy Rain comparisons, to be honest. This game to me is more like Shenmue's investigation/clues journal gameplay mixed in with Deja Vu.

masterkajo

Just called my local game shop and convinced them (5 whole minute telephone call) to sell me the game today (Europe here). I am on my way as I write this. Love them!

Dries

Someone earlier posted that the game had comic sans in it. Someone please tell me that it's not the standard font for the whole game right?

Dries said:
Someone earlier posted that the game had comic sans in it. Someone please tell me that it's not the standard font for the whole game right?

Lmao no. I haven't even seen any Comic Sans in the game although I wonder what font Cole's "handwriting" is.

This game feels like an old school adventure game to me and like something new and different all at the same time. Interrogating poi's is infinitely engaging. The attention to detail is unparalleled.

ced

Kolgar said:
Game looks excellent and the only mild problem I have with the PS3 performance (aside from the damn DualShock) is that the PS3's blu-ray drive makes a heck of a racket during play. I have an 80-gig fatty and a 120-gig slim, and I guess I'm just used to the whisper-quiet of playing these types of games installed to the hard drive of my 360..

Yeah this is a huge annoyance, I wasn't sure if it was the drive or the fans, but it's so loud it will drive me crazy.

Miggytronz

cad-20110518-8cc03.png

LOL

Im loving this game so far. Each case is like an episode of NCIS (without the high tech nonsense) and I love NCIS.

CyReN

For those that got it from Amazon they changed their credit for it from $15 to $20. You can try contacting customer service to get the $5. Just got mine:)

Game is good so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kolgar said:
Game looks excellent and the only mild problem I have with the PS3 performance (aside from the damn DualShock) is that the PS3's blu-ray drive makes a heck of a racket during play. I have an 80-gig fatty and a 120-gig slim, and I guess I'm just used to the whisper-quiet of playing these types of games installed to the hard drive of my 360.

My PS3 (60GB launch) has a few fan modes: low, med, high. Most of the time when I'm playing, it'll be on medium, but then it shoots up to high for a few minutes and sounds like a jet engine. However, the blu-ray drive is nearly inaudible.

Anyways, due to the annoyance of the fan, I had picked up a Slim about a month ago. There was almost no fan noise, but to my surprise, the blu-ray drive was incredibly loud and clunky! In a way, it was even more annoying than the jet engine fan noise that I was trying to avoid. I have no idea what changed, but the new blu-ray drives are just ridiculously loud.

I ended up returning it. Besides taking my PS3 apart and messing with the internal cooling (might need the better fan with more fins), or putting it right in front of my window AC, I don't have many options to have a quiet PS3.

Numpt3

masterkajo said:
Just called my local game shop and convinced them (5 whole minute telephone call) to sell me the game today (Europe here). I am on my way as I write this. Love them!

Lol, how did you manage that? Is it a little independent shop?

TheExodu5 said:
My PS3 (60GB launch) has a few fan modes: low, med, high. Most of the time when I'm playing, it'll be on medium, but then it shoots up to high for a few minutes and sounds like a jet engine. However, the blu-ray drive is nearly inaudible.

Your PS3's fan shouldn't go into high unless the system is starting to overheat.

Chairhome

Only played up to "Buyer Beware" then screwed up on the interrogation and restarted, haha. Didn't realize it restarts the whole case. So I'm going to probably just try to do my best and not restart from now on.

What options did you guys set? I set Clue cues off, but turned on the option to have the clue music turn off when all clues have been found.

This game is amazing. I wasn't too into the faces when I saw videos before, thought they looked like that Conan O'Brien skit where they put fake lips on people, but actually playing it on my TV, wow. It is scarily realistic.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I feel like I'd like this game better if Mafia 2 didn't happen. That game's storyline is so much stronger than LA Noire's (from what I've played it, anyways), and with better atmosphere and open world mechanics.

Mafia 2 is also a beautiful game. LA Noire is quite ugly most of the time.

AEREC

Im a little confused when interviewing someone...I thought you would hear a chime when you got a (truth, doubt, lie) question correct and a clicking sound (kind of like the press of a key on a typewriter when you answered incorrectly.

Anyways ive gooten the "correct" on all questions in an interview but it will still say "2/4 correct." What gives?

Also is there anyway to change the aiming/shooting to L1/R1 (on PS3) ...the default method feels a little awkward.

Also I wish for the love of god there was a way to turn off the tool tips, Im getting tired of being told to turn an object until it vibrates for a closer look (among other tips) when Im 5 hours into the game and working on my 6th case...seriously, is the whole game a tutorial?

Im loving the game, just slightly disappointed at the amount of hand holding this far into the game.

Marleyman

Banned
I am enjoying the non-action aspect(questioning, interrogations, evidence gathering) while the action(shooting, driving) is not up to par with previous Rockstar titles. The shooting especially is off, to me at least. I have had that dot on heads numerous times, pulled the trigger and nothing - other times I have the dot nowhere near the head and bam - headshot. It isn't gamebreaking for me, but it is an issue.

AEREC

BobsRevenge said:
I feel like I'd like this game better if Mafia 2 didn't happen. That game's storyline is so much stronger than LA Noire's (from what I've played it, anyways), and with better atmosphere and open world mechanics.

Mafia 2 was ok...but the characters in it were terrible, Vito is completely unlikable. Also the game world was incredibly small and boring.

Marleyman

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

Mafia 2 is also a beautiful game. LA Noire is quite ugly most of the time.

I have recently completed Mafia 2 and agree(other than facial technology).

Top Bottom