• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Plasmid

I might be an idiot but i'm on case 13 and now
we're getting HEAVY into the black dahlia, i'm looking for a Los Angeles Cave with flowers, clues are maybe a painting.

Good job Team Bondi, you're making me search google maps for Los angeles landmarks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
rhino4evr said:
I dont think Sci Fi really fits in the Noire genre...would be cool to interrogate an alien faking being human though.
Cyberpunk does though!

And that typically has no aliens.

I'm going to be picking this up soon. Can someone tell me if the interogations are more "gamey" or more fluid and open ended? Is it video-gamey like you have to ask all the right questions and have that one specific piece of evidence to do well? I ask this, because my job involves this stuf on a second-hand basis. The art of the interview is a lot about psychology and bluffing. A really good detective can get the perp to spill everything even if they don't have that one piece of evidence. I hope this isn't something like if I don't have the candle stick Col. Mustard is going to walk.

Tom Penny

I need to just deal with the interrogations even if I don't nail them. I'm assuming it will open different paths anyway. I'm not so sure it's always better to be right as far as playing and seeing the whole game.

samdavis

Neo Member
Lafiel said:
Cyberpunk does though!

And that typically has no aliens.

Can you imagine Rockstar using this tech to finally cater to the futurism crowd? Unless they go modern day again, this seems like the next logical step for Rockstar to take if they're looking for another time period to base a game in.

binary

ferr said:
The on-foot chases (especially the one near the end of the fallen idol) for some reason reminds me of what I was hyped up for with Shenmue.

This game really reminds me of Shenmue too between the foot chases and picking up objects with your hands and looking at them in great detail.

LyleLanley said:
Perhaps because it's the first time we've seen anything like this in a video game?

Lol... what kind of question is that anyway...

Lemme get this straight, motion captured animation isn't impressive because someone didn't write code?

WHAT?

That's like saying that Motion Captured animation's haven't helped to improve animations in games in any form.... not everything is done by code and an animator...

So what if it's all captured, it's still running in real time and it still looks incredible and it's the first time it's ever been done and it has set a new standard and it is going to put to shame any other game that DOESN'T have similar facial animations from now on.

ferr

binary said:
This game really reminds me of Shenmue too between the foot chases and picking up objects with your hands and looking at them in great detail.
I hope I get to investigate the murder to Ryo's father soon. LAN DI GOIN DOWN

I should have gotten this game on 360 I'm about 10 hours in and my hands hurt from the dual shock 3 I absolutely hate the thing.... oh well

DrBo42

GillianSeed79 said:
I'm going to be picking this up soon. Can someone tell me if the interogations are more "gamey" or more fluid and open ended? Is it video-gamey like you have to ask all the right questions and have that one specific piece of evidence to do well? I ask this, because my job involves this stuf on a second-hand basis. The art of the interview is a lot about psychology and bluffing. A really good detective can get the perp to spill everything even if they don't have that one piece of evidence. I hope this isn't something like if I don't have the candle stick Col. Mustard is going to walk.
It's pretty much what you fear it to be. Someone will go down for it, but it might not be the right one. If you miss a piece of evidence or fail to correctly judge a reaction you can miss out of suspects or P.O.I's entirely.

I've been flipping around on this game for a while, and I think I should just wait for it when I'm ready. I want 1945 GTA, but I know that isn't it, and if I got it now I would be disappointed. I need to be in more of a shenmue vibe for this I think.

samdavis

Neo Member
Plasmid said:
I'm going to agree with Dacvak, i feel stupid as shit with this game sometimes.

I don't know if I'm overthinking it or not but some of the visual cues which appear to be blatantly obvious, apparently aren't. On the one hand you could say "it's good that it isn't telegraphed for you" but at the same time there are instances where it's clear that someone is lying, I choose it, and it's wrong.

In that "A Fallen Idol" case, I got like 7 questions wrong and for one of the suspects it was nearly impossible to determine what the correct response was. Poker face in full effect. Still solved the case, but with only three stars. Seems a tad cheap to replay the mission to get a better rating now that I know what the responses should have been (or at least shouldn't have been).

TheExodu5 said:
First case...wow lol

Phelps just told a Jew he's going to the gas chamber D:

whoa...

by the way that interview was pretty amazing. Really floored me in terms of the facial animation. "goy motherfucker!" made me laugh out loud.

LProtag

Got through traffic, had a little difficulty with the last case but still pulled off 4 stars.

Starting to get a little difficult to figure out doubt or lies and what evidence I should use.

GillianSeed79 said:
From what I've heard (haven't played it) those parts are similar to Phoenix Wright. So pretty much what you don't want it to be.

Man, the paranormal cases are a must. I really hope they do it (has there actually been any word on it or is it just wishful thinking?)

I'd love some sort of creepy alien/paranormal case. It would be so cool.

I'm still early in the game, but man,
is Flashback-Cole a dick. Kinda feel like smacking him across the mouth, he's so douchey. Also, does Cole's wife ever have a more prominent role or anything? She's only in the beginning for a second, pecks him on the cheek before work, and on we go.

binary said:
This game really reminds me of Shenmue

PhjBz.gif

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Man, the paranormal cases are a must. I really hope they do it (has there actually been any word on it or is it just wishful thinking?)

I'd love some sort of creepy alien/paranormal case. It would be so cool.

I'm still early in the game, but man,
is Flashback-Cole a dick. Kinda feel like smacking him across the mouth, he's so douchey. Also, does Cole's wife ever have a more prominent role or anything? She's only in the beginning for a second, pecks him on the cheek before work, and on we go.

I can't answer your questions yet but yeah, Phelps is a dick. Workaholic dick. I can't imagine many people will enjoy him as a character. He looks like such a weiner too. Thank god for orange and green suit guy, he brings the character.

Grisby

Really great game so far, few hours in. I'll throw my penny in with everyone else saying the game is making them feel stupid. Still, the breakthroughs are strangely exhilarating.

Framerates taking multiple shit on me though in the 360 version. Slide show at some points. Then it feels fine for a while. Oh well, kinda wished they would have had a better engine.

ferr

Grisby said:
Framerates taking multiple shit on me though in the 360 version. Slide show at some points. Then it feels fine for a while. Oh well, kinda wished they would have had a better engine.
I've had that happen a couple of times in the PS3 version.. not to that extent, but some obvious slow-down. Seemed to happen when I was messing with the camera.

whitehawk

Banned
Ben Pierce said:
I've been flipping around on this game for a while, and I think I should just wait for it when I'm ready. I want 1945 GTA, but I know that isn't it, and if I got it now I would be disappointed. I need to be in more of a shenmue vibe for this I think.
This is a dumb reason not to buy the game.

samdavis

Neo Member
VGChampion said:
Haven't played much but I think I'm going to like it. I wish I never read about X-files DLC for Halloween because I know they won't do it and I cannot not play that now. Gah!

Did someone just make that up? Do you recall what post in this thread started the speculation?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been thinking about this game.

So if I love the early 1900's era + mystery solving (Agatha Christie, etc.), will I like this game?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have to say, as an OCD completionist, this game is driving me a little nuts since I'm constantly messing up the interrogations and you have no second chances.

A question about the PS3 codes, if the codes I have are for parts of the game that I've already finished like traffic, when we can finally redeem them are they selectable in some other way?

bhlaab

ULTROS! said:
I've been thinking about this game.

So if I love the early 1900's era + mystery solving (Agatha Christie, etc.), will I like this game?

It's more mid 20th century.

I've only seen stuff from the beginning of the game, does it actually have any noir in it ever? Besides the menu screen, I mean.

i dont know if it's just that i suck, but im doing pretty damn bad with the interrogations......i keep having to do side missions just to get some intuition points.
also, why is every single car or pedestrian on the street a complete moron?

Dead

well not really...yet
mattiewheels said:
I have to say, as an OCD completionist, this game is driving me a little nuts since I'm constantly messing up the interrogations and you have no second chances.

A question about the PS3 codes, if the codes I have are for parts of the game that I've already finished like traffic, when we can finally redeem them are they selectable in some other way?
At some point during the game there was a message that said you could select old and downloaded cases from a menu of some sort, but Ive yet to find such a menu...

mattiewheels said:

Yeah, there's a menu that lets you replay cases including ones you download down the line.

Plasmid

ProtoCents said:
I can't answer your questions yet but yeah, Phelps is a dick. Workaholic dick. I can't imagine many people will enjoy him as a character. He looks like such a weiner too. Thank god for orange and green suit guy, he brings the character.

Cole is a great character, he's a dick in war because he has to be, but he respects his enemy, he respects his fellow army, he puts that before feelings, which is how a good detective works, i really do enjoy Phelps.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question on a weird sound issue I am getting. Using my Astro A40s over optical I get a slight delay that is noticeable from when the voice starts and when their mouth starts moving, but when I switch to TV sound it matches up perfect. If I have bot running I can hear my Astros just befor the (correct) TV sound. Anyone know why this is happening?

That link seems to have died now... is it still working for anyone else?

At least I've saved the receipt image.

I'm going bonkers that's for sure. I've got Witcher 2 to play and I can play that no worries, but this comes out tomorrow but I won't be calm until I've got it... I have this crazy no patience OCD like you wouldn't believe :/

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Dead said:
At some point during the game there was a message that said you could select old and downloaded cases from a menu of some sort, but Ive yet to find such a menu...
It's the main menu after the title screen. Press down on the Dpad till the Cases option appears.

Grisby

ferr said:
I've had that happen a couple of times in the PS3 version.. not to that extent, but some obvious slow-down. Seemed to happen when I was messing with the camera.

Yeah, it can get 'jittery' for a while and then smooth out.

Plasmid said:
Cole is a great character, he's a dick in war because he has to be, but he respects his enemy, he respects his fellow army, he puts that before feelings, which is how a good detective works, i really do enjoy Phelps.

Yeah, I haven't really reached that part yet. Present-day Cole is ok, if a little tight-assed, but Flashback Cole in Officer Training is just a dick. Not only a dick, but an arrogant jerk just looking for a glory and shit. He feels more like a school yard bully to me than anything. But perhaps when he actually ships out, he'll change. Like I said, it's still early, and I kinda like Present day Cole though his occasional anger outbursts during interrogation are funny (cause they seem to come out of nowhere), like he's a little bipolar.

CrazyDude

I am afraid to play this game because of the facial animation, I feel like it will pretty much ruin all other games that don't have such realistic facial animation. Maybe I am just thinking about it too hard. :p

ferr

CrazyDude said:
I am afraid to play this game because of the facial animation, I feel like it will pretty much ruin all other games that don't have such realistic facial animation. Maybe I am just thinking about it too hard. :p
It does that. I can't imagine games without it now.

brentech

Evidence is fairly easy and fun, but I'm doing worse and worse with questioning. No sure if I'm just thinking about it the wrong way or what. Kind of frustrating, but with a first play through - I'm just sticking with my results.

I just get a sense that I'm missing some key concept (I get that if you think they're lying you need evidence, but something just isn't working out for me).

Tom Penny

Dead said:

It's on the main menu. Just push up on the D pad and it should show up. I redid some but I'm going to stop because it probably leads to other game play elements I wouldn't have seen if you get a few questions wrong. Gotta just roll with it.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Have to start the case all over again after the game crashed. :( STUPID INFREQUENT CHECK POINTS. Yay for more long, unskippable cutscenes.

EDIT: IT FROZE AGAIN ON THE SAME FUCKING SIDEQUEST WHEN I TRIED TO DRAW MY WEAPON. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Top Bottom