• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

JonCha

Watched the GiantBomb Quick Look just now. Really excited to be playing this (hopefully) tomorrow, though I'm not completely sure why. Haven't really been hyped for a game for a little while now.

Dries

Evlar said:
The street cars are there, so that's different. The actual layout of the streets are the same (or similar enough). The interstate and freeway system doesn't exist yet, which obviously changes the way you move through the city compared to your likely commute today. Some of the major city landmarks from 1947 still exist today; I was happy to see a lovely reproduction of Union Station, for instance.

How do the big main streets (like Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset) compare? Just long stretches of road with low buildings? That's how it looks today at least. When I was watching those gameplay videos the buildings all seemed really tall, kinda like New York. That doesn't really look like LA I thought. So how is this done?

Btw, is there anyone who actually does like the city? Only things I've read about the city are negative.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Dries said:
Btw, is there anyone who actually does like the city? Only things I've read about the city are negative.
I like it in principal, it just could've been done better. I definitely prefer this game be open-world and I appreciate the effort in recreating the city.

K' Dash

Deadly Cyclone said:
Anyone else having this issue?

I'm playing trough optical too and no, everything normal.

My Sony receiver has an option to adjust lag, but you would have to adjust it again when you play another game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Woohoo!! Back from my ban just in time for this!!

Love the game. Crazy amalgamation of police quest wrapped with shenmue, heavy rain and Phoenix wright. Not having quite the problem some of you are with investigations but I'm nit getting 100% every time either.

Have played in B&W and color so far. the game is really suited nicely for B&W and the effect looks great. But at the same time the coloring of the game fits great with color films of the period. Torn between which version to play so I switch off.

Not quite my goty, but I don't regret my day one purchase in the slightest. One of the few games this gen which IMHO justifies a $60 purchase.

vehn

DrBo42 said:
Congratulations, you've been promoted from Burglary. Wait...wat? Haha. They took out content but still left in VA referring to it? Ouch.

Are you blind or did you miss the part where it said
6 months later
? Obviously he was in burglary during that time

dark10x said:
This feels much more like an adventure game mixed with a sandbox title..

i'd say with the emphasis on 'feels like', to the extent the sandbox aspect is chiefly appearance over substance...

Montresor said:
Also, I might be too early into the game to make this call, but does anyone else feel that the scale and scope of this game's city is a huge waste of resources and potential? What's the point of faithfully re-creating such a huge city if the game has you bouncing around from mission to mission, with no real need to free roam?

said pretty much the same thing a few pages back. all i can figure is that they fabricated an environment that would allow for a number of things, but ended up focusing on elements that really don't make much use of it. the biggest benefit, of course, would be if they were thinking of reusing lots of it in either a sequel or (even better) a spin-off that would incorporate some sandbox gameplay...

Dries said:

i love the city - it's very pretty. but i also i loved the world in shadow of the colossus, & that was also despite the fact that there was little if anything to actually do in that one, as well :) ...

Clunker

The gushing on the Giant Bombcast got me to impulse-buy this bad boy after I'd completely written it off. I was one of the many, many people who assumed it would be "GTA in 1940s L.A.," and I'm thrilled that my initial assessment was incorrect. Love adventure games like Phoenix Wright and Heavy Rain (even though the story of HR tanked in the endgame), love cop procedurals, love the Mad Men aesthetic and mood.

First new game I've bought on PS3/360 at launch in ages, though the $20 Amazon credit helped seal the deal. :)

Horns

Any one know if you can do the side missions after you complete the singleplayer? I'd like to do them after I am done with the game, but I am not sure if they're located on all 3 disks or only specific side quests are on each disk.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i'd say with the emphasis on 'feels like', to the extent the sandbox aspect is chiefly appearance over substance...
That's a huge positive for me. I'm not a fan of sandbox titles any more but it's nice to have some of that freedom present in an otherwise very linear game.

Horns said:
Any one know if you can do the side missions after you complete the singleplayer? I'd like to do them after I am done with the game, but I am not sure if they're located on all 3 disks or only specific side quests are on each disk.

I need to know this as well, I feel like I need to respond to every call I get over the radio.. but it interrupts the flow of my case and I hate doing 2 or 3 of them on my way somewhere, not to mention it is always me chasing a guy for 20 seconds then telling him to drop his weapon then killing him.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Horns said:
Same question here. On my first real case as a detective and I've had 5 side missions so far. Really breaks up the pacing. Would be nice to know I can do them when I want instead.

AEREC said:
Mafia 2 was ok...but the characters in it were terrible, Vito is completely unlikable. Also the game world was incredibly small and boring.

It was a Mafia 1 with a higher resolution and new textures. Nothing about it was innovative or exciting. Recycled tropes/cliches, banal and small world, and NO reason to do anything but drive to your next mission.

I can understand why LA Noire isn't for everyone, but at least its trying something new.

dark10x said:
That's a huge positive for me. I'm not a fan of sandbox titles any more but it's nice to have some of that freedom present in an otherwise very linear game.

same here. sandbox was never my favourite, but the illusion of freedom is great

btw: am i the only one thinking that the new face-animations are some uncanny valley-shit?
something feels so off.

Marleyman

Banned
borghe said:
Same question here. On my first real case as a detective and I've had 5 side missions so far. Really breaks up the pacing. Would be nice to know I can do them when I want instead.

Third. I want to know if you can answer the dispatch call and finish it whenever you want.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
bonesmccoy said:
It was a Mafia 1 with a higher resolution and new textures. Nothing about it was innovative or exciting. Recycled tropes/cliches, banal and small world, and NO reason to do anything but drive to your next mission.

I can understand why LA Noire isn't for everyone, but at least its trying something new.

I agree. I hated Mafia 2, to be honest. Drive here, engage in boring gunplay, unlock more of the cliched story, drive to new location.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
In New Mexico and PSN store is still down for me. Doesn't allow me to pick up the DLC cases that came with the game. Anyone else having the same problem? I take it the store just isn't back up yet?

Kintaro said:
In New Mexico and PSN store is still down for me. Doesn't allow me to pick up the DLC cases that came with the game. Anyone else having the same problem? I take it the store just isn't back up yet?
Uh yess

Mafia 2 was awful, the non stop driving drove me crazy

Forsete

God is small! God is small!

Copy has been shipped. Probably only packed though, will arrive by Friday. :/
I hate friday releases.. always stress me out (if they miss delivery I'll have to wait for MONDAY).

I love the option to skip driving, I use it quite a lot unless I feel like doing a side mission. This WAS a big problem with Mafia 2 and other games of its ilk, all the transitional stuff. If you want your game to be truly cinematic, you have to do what cinema does and cut out all the pointless transit sequences between scenes that matter. Try skipping a few driving scenes and the game feels much more like a movie, particularly with the title titles that pop up as you arrive at each new location.

The only downside is that sometimes you can miss some interesting conversation between Cole and his partner.

protonion

Gary Whitta said:
The only downside is that sometimes you can miss some interesting conversation between Cole and his partner.

As I wrote in the previous page, you don't! You hear the conversation while your partner drives the car, and then it skips to your destination.

LukeSmith

After getting out of the early tutorial phase, my game hard locked while engaged in an on-foot chase (360 version).

Anyone else experiencing hard locks?

Gary Whitta said:
I love the option to skip driving, I use it quite a lot unless I feel like doing a side mission. This WAS a big problem with Mafia 2 and other games of its ilk, all the transitional stuff. If you want your game to be truly cinematic, you have to do what cinema does and cut out all the pointless transit sequences between scenes that matter. Try skipping a few driving scenes and the game feels much more like a movie, particularly with the title titles that pop up as you arrive at each new location.

I avoided fast tracking in Read Dead Redemption because I loved the experience of traversing the country side and coming upon random events. I was hoping for a similar experience with L.A. Noire but it sounds like traveling from point to point is a drag.

Simo

Gary Whitta said:

Yeah but the only problem is that I think doing that during The Fallen Idol case seemed to blow a portion of the case and result in a bad rating when
you had to race over to Bishop's apartment after the 911 disturbance call. I had my partner drive there and when we arrived the goons had already turned the place upside down but the notes at the end of the case mention that if I had gotten there fast enough I could of caught them in the act and stopped them.

So I'll be driving myself to all the case locations.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Simo said:
Yeah but the only problem is that I think doing that during The Fallen Idol case seemed to blow a portion of the case and result in a bad rating when
you had to race over to Bishop's apartment after the 911 disturbance call. I had my partner drive there and when we arrived the goons had already turned the place upside down but the notes at the end of the case mention that if I had gotten there fast enough I could of caught them in the act and stopped them.

So I'll be driving myself to all the case locations.

Do you just drive very slow and cautiously, follow all the traffic rules? I do poor on cases because of the damage caused to my vehicle and city property haha

Simo

Not a Jellyfish said:
Do you just drive very slow and cautiously, follow all the traffic rules? I do poor on cases because of the damage caused to my vehicle and city property haha

No my partner did the driving and the final case notes mentioned that if I had drove to a destination faster I could of had more evidence and suspects.

Horns

DoctorWho said:
I avoided fast tracking in Read Dead Redemption because I loved the experience of traversing the country side and coming upon random events. I was hoping for a similar experience with L.A. Noire but it sounds like traveling from point to point is a drag.

I wouldn't say it is a drag. It's not as random as RDR or packed with as many NPC pedestrians and vehicles as IV. However, the goal is to avoid damage to your vehicle, other vehicles, NPCs and public property and that can be a challenge when you're flooring it between locations. It's still challenging traveling the roads.

Evlar

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
On that particular case:
I drove as fast as I could, even drove off a cliff at a dead end unintentionally (but landed on a road and didn't slow down, probably saved myself some time). I didn't get there fast enough. I think the window of opportunity has something to do with how the investigation has proceeded up to that point; I went to the apartment after trailing one suspect to a cafe and overhearing her conversation using the old "reading a newspaper to hide my identity" bit. I felt it may have been possible to get the location of the apartment without that step if I had performed better in interrogations, which in turn may have given me more time to get there.

If not, then wow... You must need to drive like a bat out of hell to get there on time.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Uh yess

Mafia 2 was awful, the non stop driving drove me crazy

i love them when they are unintended ^__^
No_Puns.jpg

DoctorWho said:
Transit in RDR is very different because it feels like part of the language of the genre; traveling across the countryside/desert on horseback is something we all know from westerns. Plus it's largely open terrain so it's easy just time-consuming. Games like LA Noire are more of a hassle because there's a specific "maze" to navigate with lots of obstacles that you can be penalized for hitting. Not as much fun nor as appropriate to the genre IMO.

DanielJr82

Heh... nice pun. :p

Ended up getting L.A. Noire for the Xbox 360 after all. Controller, achievements, and playing off the hard drive were the driving positives.

protonion said:
As I wrote in the previous page, you don't! You hear the conversation while your partner drives the car, and then it skips to your destination.
Oh that's cool! I wondered why sometimes you got a little driving vignette and other times it just skipped right there. I guess if there's a vignette that needs to be played the game makes sure it happens before it cuts you to your destination. Nice.

LukeSmith said:
After getting out of the early tutorial phase, my game hard locked while engaged in an on-foot chase (360 version).

Anyone else experiencing hard locks?
I got one hard lockup on 360 when I was
doing the water heater puzzle

Simo said:
No my partner did the driving and the final case notes mentioned that if I had drove to a destination faster I could of had more evidence and suspects.
That's just weird. What could be faster than skipping right there! I guess the auto-driving puts you there at a set speed which you can beat if you drive yourself and go really fast.

Numpt3

StunandStab said:
Is there any way to complete a street crime that isn't shooting down the criminal?

Whilst your on the subject is it always shoot to kill? Or can you say... shoot them in the leg to take them down? (I don't have the game yet)

Evlar

Banned
m0ngo said:
Whilst your on the subject is it always shoot to kill? Or can you say... shoot them in the leg to take them down? (I don't have the game yet)
On the particular cases in question
You have to shoot to kill. He's holding a hostage; if you shoot anywhere other than the head, he shoots the hostage before he goes down.

I don't know if that's true with EVERY case.

DoctorWho said:

It's definitely not a drag, yet it's not Liberty City or RDR's Old West either. You're not going to find as much activity, but the atmosphere is just as thick. It feels like a real 1940s city.

In my first run, I'm playing with the queues, in colour, and not really getting into the side missions.

My second run will be delayed until more DLC cases are available, and I think I'm going to rock the black and white.

Gary Whitta said:
I got one hard lockup on 360 when I was
doing the water heater puzzle

That's just weird. What could be faster than skipping right there! I guess the auto-driving puts you there at a set speed which you can beat if you drive yourself and go really fast.

i have a feeling it has less to do with driving fast and more to do with how he approached the case, possibly going to the location earlier in the investigation would have helped.

Miggytronz

Evlar said:
On the particular cases in question
You have to shoot to kill. He's holding a hostage; if you shoot anywhere other than the head, he shoots the hostage before he goes down.

I don't know if that's true with EVERY case.

I shot him in his throat!

Man I made a real hash of my first interview in the Fallen Idol case. She was drunk and dumb and I still only got 1/4! I suck as a detective.

Is there any way to start a case over?

soloscout

Neo Member
Gary Whitta said:
I've already solved a few street crimes that don't involve shooting the suspect.
It's hard for me to tell if you should give up on the chase at times and pull the trigger or just continue to run them down. Usually if they are shooting back at me I'm more inclined to end things with my pistol ;)

soloscout

Neo Member
Gary Whitta said:
Man I made a real hash of my first interview in the Fallen Idol case. She was drunk and dumb and I still only got 1/4! I suck as a detective.

You can from the start menu - there's an option to restart a case entirely

Evlar

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Start > Pick Restart from the menu. It'll take you back to the beginning (the precinct in this case).

Top Bottom