• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
bonesmccoy said:
It was a Mafia 1 with a higher resolution and new textures. Nothing about it was innovative or exciting. Recycled tropes/cliches, banal and small world, and NO reason to do anything but drive to your next mission.

I can understand why LA Noire isn't for everyone, but at least its trying something new.
Well, that's really unfair. The characters were very different, and the plot was a lot more earthy. The gameplay was also hugely improved. I don't know if you've played the original lately, but the on-foot gameplay doesn't hold up. The flow of the game largely remained the same, but imo its still fresh in its approach, although LA Noire is similar but with a different gameplay angle.

It wasn't the most innovative game, but it did visuals, atmosphere, and compelling plotting right. LA Noire, in a similar time period, is lacking in these. That's where I'm trying to draw a contrast that feels salient to me about 50% of the time I'm playing Noire. Many of the areas that the games overlap leave me wishing that they were more like Mafia 2. LA Noire feels like biting into a lean steak. Mafia 2 feels like biting into duck magret, or something else fatty.

I was also hoping for more drama in the force; something along the lines of LA Confidential. Maybe that comes later. There's hints of it with the Vice character. I also wish the main character was more like Guy Pearce, but I'm a freak for LA Confidential, so that's probably just me. I suppose they're already similar enough.

Am I doing something wrong? playing on PS3 I feel like I am battling with my DS3! my fingers slip off the sticks, my hand is cramped and with the real triggers they stick out and pinch the top of my fingers on the back of the controller.

its been a nightmare

wtf is wrong with me gaf?

ScOULaris

Is anyone else kind of saddened that there's no Euphoria physics on display in L.A. Noire? Not that they would have added that much, since you're generally discouraged from wreaking havoc in the city, but it would have been nice to see them.

JetBlackPanda said:
Am I doing something wrong? playing on PS3 I feel like I am battling with my DS3! my fingers slip off the sticks, my hand is cramped and with the real triggers they stick out and pinch the top of my fingers on the back of the controller.

its been a nightmare

It's not you, it's the stick. Last night when I was doing a final hands-on controller comparison to decide which version I wanted to play, it just confirmed how much I hate the DS3 and love the 360 pad. No contest really. Mileage varies of course but other people have complained about the same thing in this thread.

soloscout

Neo Member
JetBlackPanda said:

its been a nightmare

I'm having a hard time visualizing your dilemma here... I now see you are using real triggers - are you using your index fingers or middle fingers??

ScOULaris said:
Is anyone else kind of saddened that there's no Euphoria physics on display in L.A. Noire? Not that they would have added that much, since you're generally discouraged from wreaking havoc in the city, but it would have been nice to see them.

Yeah, Euphoria would have been very cool here. Just cause we don't shoot often doesn't mean it shouldn't look realistic when dealing with criminals. Also, location specific damage would have been interesting as well (like in RDR). Big missed opportunity, though since Bondi uses their own engine, maybe it wouldn't have been easy.

soloscout said:
I'm having a hard time visualizing your dilemma here, but I do recommend you invest in something like what Gamestop calls "Real Triggers" for the PS3 controller. They are over priced for two pieces of cheap plastic at something like $5 dollars USD, but the difference is night and day and may solve your issue.

edit: ah yes, here's a link http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-real-triggers-pdp/74516
Um read his post the "real triggers" are exactly what he is complaining about.

Vega

Do we know yet that the burglary desk briefly mentioned in a cutscene will become available in a dlc later on? Seems like a obvious opportunity to add some content to the game.

soloscout

Neo Member
Gary Whitta said:
Um read his post the "real triggers" are exactly what he is complaining about.
Bah! If that's the case then I think what he may be doing is using his index fingers - middle fingers on those triggers may be a better option

Falagard

BobsRevenge said:
It wasn't the most innovative game, but it did visuals, atmosphere, and compelling plotting right. LA Noire, in a similar time period, is lacking in these.

I was also hoping for more drama in the force; something along the lines of LA Confidential. Maybe that comes later. There's hints of it with the Vice character. I also wish the main character was more like Guy Pearce, but I'm a freak for LA Confidential, so that's probably just me. I suppose they're already similar enough.

I'm liking L.A. Noire's pacing in the fact that I can sit down and play bite sized sessions of the game, almost like a T.V. episode. I can convince my wife to play the game with me if it's only for 30 to 45 minutes per case.

I had the same feeling about Alan Wake. I knew that I could go and play for an hour or so to make it through an "episode".

Vega said:
Do we know yet that the burglary desk briefly mentioned in a cutscene will become available in a dlc later on? Seems like a obvious opportunity to add some content to the game.

They mentioned that it might be something they'd look at for DLC.

Gary Whitta said:
It's not you, it's the stick. Last night when I was doing a final hands-on controller comparison to decide which version I wanted to play, it just confirmed how much I hate the DS3 and love the 360 pad. No contest really. Mileage varies of course but other people have complained about the same thing in this thread.

I never have any issues with either pad, i never get the hate for either pad. I dont think i have had an issue with a pad since my launch day jag and the amount of buttons melted my pre teen mind.

Gary Whitta said:
Man I made a real hash of my first interview in the Fallen Idol case. She was drunk and dumb and I still only got 1/4! I suck as a detective.

Is there any way to start a case over?

You can also "Quit" from the start menu, and then "Resume" from the main menu, and it should put you at the beginning of that particular witness's location, before you've done any questioning. I think if you "Restart" the case you have to watch the opening cinematic, drive, do all your sidestuff all over again.

soloscout

Neo Member
supermackem said:
I never have any issues with either pad, i never get the hate for either pad. I dont think i have had an issue with a pad since my launch day jag and the amount of buttons melted my pre teen mind.
I think the DS3 favors slightly larger hands and the 360 controller just seems to work for every hand size. And it has nothing to do with the size of the controllers, it's more on the spacing distance of the buttons in relation to the analog sticks

soloscout said:
It's hard for me to tell if you should give up on the chase at times and pull the trigger or just continue to run them down. Usually if they are shooting back at me I'm more inclined to end things with my pistol ;)

I know there are street crimes where you don't shoot people, but whenever a chase is involved I've always chased them the entire way and they always end up shooting me or taking someone hostage and the only course of action at that point is to shoot them.

soloscout

Neo Member
tc farks said:
Don't know why people are so concerned about getting things wrong. Enjoy the play-through, not getting #/# answers correct.
agreed, and ironically I got like 0 correct with the gent in your avatar :D

Gary Whitta said:
People like to do well at games?

On top of that, I think a lot of us are conditioned to retry what we did wrong immediately given the opportunity. I'm trying to just go with the flow but my mistakes always come off as more stupid than just being misled.

tc farks said:
Don't know why people are so concerned about getting things wrong. Enjoy the play-through, not getting #/# answers correct.

Because replaying every single case in the game after beating the game just to get 1 more question correct that I missed the first time just so I can get the "5 star every case" trophy would be annoying.

ultron87

The Giant Bomb quick look combined with Amazon still giving you 20 bucks for buying it just sold me on this game.

I didn't realize it was essentially a next gen Phoenix Wright.

BobsRevenge

soloscout said:
agreed, and ironically I got like 0 correct with the gent in your avatar :D
You
didn't believe him
because he was black, didn't you? Racist.

Miggytronz

tc farks said:

this is why i will play this game over and over and over......ect.

thanks for all the feedback guys! I am using my index fingers, I will try my middle fingers tonight and see if that helps! I don't think there is anything I can do to fix the sticks though they slip out from under my thumb.

I honestly hate the dual shock 3 and I don't know why.. I loved it so much on my PS2

tc farks said:

Old habits die hard.

I have been conditioned for +20 years that it is either right or wrong. Is not easy to shake that. It would've been easier if the game did tally the correct answers until the end of the game. But oh well, it is what it is...

tc farks

Gary Whitta said:
People like to do well at games?

The point of being a detective is to be wrong at times. You can do well without being perfect, and you're not having to cheat by going back. Wouldn't make me feel any better. Doesn't even need to be an option until your 2nd play-through.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I agree with the folks saying the open city is a waste, and is actually more of a hindrance to the gameplay experience than a help. I posted something similar a few pages back.

My guess is that L.A. Noire was probably conceived of as a much more open-ended game, and was developed that way for a good while, before it got set up into rigid cases.

I think the "vision" was for players to stumble across the major investigations in the same way they stumble across street crime, now. So, for example, you're driving around, doing your thing, and come across a wrecked car. Or a body. You can then investigate it, call it in, and the case then proceeds as normal.

Hopefully for a sequel we can see things blended together more naturally. Have something start off organically (bank robbery in progress). Player shows up, but the robbers escape. They leave behind a scrap of evidence. At that point, the hunt is on.

tc farks

Oh and to be clear. "Don't know" isn't the best wording. Especially since people have their reasons and the ones already stated in this thread are perfectly applicable.

It's more like, I wouldn't do it that way. It interrupts the game play IMO, just let me roll at it with warts and all.

The Lamp

I love how the game blatantly tells you it cut out a good portion of cases.

*promoted to burglary*
6 MONTHS LATER!
*promoted to murder*

The game is really fun, but it's not quite like I expected. The different elements feel discombobulated and not intuitive or refined enough. Gunfights and chases feel somemwhat out of place and not polished enough (not sure how they could have solved this, but I always wished there weren't "set, definite clues" for you to where's waldo over. In my wildest dreams, you would simply take notes as you explore your environment, and use all of that together to piece together a picture...not just find random objects). Investigating is just walk around and press X until you run into something you can pick up. Interrogation is challenging, but its simplicity is the fact that it's just a matching game to pre-determined faces. The open-world is, as mentioned, useless and boring. I feel like the game might have benefited better from pre-made levels like Heavy Rain, especially since the game is trying to narrow in on a focused narrative. The side-missions feel awkward...like OH HEY I HAVE THIS SUPER IMPORTANT MISSIO--wait gotta go kill this robber--LET'S GET BACK TO WORK!

I'm enjoying myself, a lot, and I can't wait to finish it, but it's not really that revolutionary except for the facial-animation. If anything, it's refreshing because it's one of few games that do adventure-type-investigation like this, so I give it major props for that and really enjoy that. However, it's not a stable, well-defined package, in my opinion.

I mostly give major props for the fact that this game didn't turn out a total disaster, what with all the years in vaporware/developmental hell and the focus/shift what this game ACTUALLY WAS until it fell under Rockstar's wing and budget. It's a miracle the game turned out as polished and enjoyable as it did.

My two cents, but I'm only about...5 hours in maybe? Hopefully it gets really good :)

tc farks said:
I agree, if you're set on uncovering every clue, exhausting every line of questioning, you're doing it wrong. It's a very human game, you're expected to make mistakes.

BobsRevenge

GDJustin said:
I agree with the folks saying the open city is a waste, and is actually more of a hindrance to the gameplay experience than a help. I posted something similar a few pages back.

My guess is that L.A. Noire was probably conceived of as a much more open-ended game, and was developed that way for a good while, before it got set up into rigid cases.

I think the "vision" was for players to stumble across the major investigations in the same way they stumble across street crime, now. So, for example, you're driving around, doing your thing, and come across a wrecked car. Or a body. You can then investigate it, call it in, and the case then proceeds as normal.

Hopefully for a sequel we can see things blended together more naturally. Have something start off organically (bank robbery in progress). Player shows up, but the robbers escape. They leave behind a scrap of evidence. At that point, the hunt is on.
I think its supportive of the artistic experience, which for me makes it worth it. The gameplay perhaps suffers for some drag, but as part of an artistic product it lends weight. The random little missions that pop up are less significant than needed to justify themselves though. I do them for the intuition points more than fun, so it feels like grinding in Final Fantasy 7 or something. Just with the added annoyance of actually having to go to the thing that randomly pops up instead of your screen spinning into it.

Struct09

Amazon just automatically gave me an extra $5 credit (on top of the $15 for preordering), probably matching WalMart's deal. <3 you forever Amazon!

Played the game for a bit last night, and like it so far. Not sure what I think of the gameplay yet, but the cinematics are top-notch.

dexterslu

This has probably already been answered but is there anyway to take someone down without killing them in the Street Crimes? or are they all pretty much 'Code 4's'?

Struct09 said:
Amazon just automatically gave me an extra $5 credit (on top of the $15 for preordering), probably matching WalMart's deal. <3 you forever Amazon!
Yup, they just announced it on their game twitter account:
PSA: Customers who ordered L.A. Noire by 5/17 will be sent an additional $5 credit to bring their total credit up to the current $20 level.

Karish

Is there word on how much DLC is coming down the line for this? I could see myself spending lots of money on this game. I rarely buy DLC but it is just soooo good.

I would easily pay $20 for an expansion like GTA IV had, even if it is with a different main character. What are the chances of them doing that?

GDJustin said:

That would be very cool.

tc farks

MrCompletely said:
I agree, if you're set on uncovering every clue, exhausting every line of questioning, you're doing it wrong. It's a very human game, you're expected to make mistakes.

Well said. And I agree with Lord-Audie. I don't like the almost instantaneous knowledge of whether you got the right answers. You should be at the next stop in your investigation, find something and think to yourself, that bitch lied to me.

BobsRevenge

tc farks said:
Well said. And I agree with Lord-Audie. I don't like the almost instantaneous knowledge of whether you got the right answers. You should be at the next stop in your investigation, find something and think to yourself, that bitch lied to me.
Yeah, I think the instant feedback is negative. It feels counter-intuitive, considering the nature of the game otherwise. That and the leveling system, or at least the spirit of it.

This is a great game. I'm about 5 hours in (probably not as far as other people at 5 hours since I'm doing a lot of roaming around the city) and I'm loving it so far.

One thing though: I wish this got the FULL free roam treatment. It's still a great game without it but actual random crimes (like RDR random events), a more lively city, a house or two for Cole, GTA/RDR style "distractions", etc., etc. would've just added another great layer to this experience. Maybe they just couldn't do it since they're already on 3 360 discs, but I'd love to see stuff like that in an eventual sequel.

EDIT: Oh and a proper day/night cycle. It's even more disappointing now that I'm actually playing. Open world w/o a day/night cycle should be a sin.

K' Dash

GDJustin said:

I agree, actually I posted the same yesterday, the game would've been better with predetermined levels ala Ace Attorney, look for clues, make anotations, explore and interrogate people, less hand holding, focus on the detective part of the game the, the city is a waste of time and effort, 3 discs to recreate a dead LA.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's not the way I imagined it, also, the faces and expresions and lipsync are fucking awesome, now all the other games characters look like fucking lifeless dolls, lol.

The Lamp

K' Dash said:
I agree, actually I posted the same yesterday, the game would've been better with predetermined levels ala Ace Attorney, look for clues, make anotations, explore and interrogate people, less hand holding, focus on the detective part of the game the, the city is a waste of time and effort, 3 discs to recreate a dead LA.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's not the way I imagined it, also, the faces and expresions and lipsync are fucking awesome, now all the other games characters look like fucking lifeless dolls, lol.

Yeah, like I said, the game would have benefitted better from Heavy Rain-style pre-made levels that are polished and focused to the brim on the detective work.

BobsRevenge said:
I think its supportive of the artistic experience, which for me makes it worth it. The gameplay perhaps suffers for some drag, but as part of an artistic product it lends weight. The random little missions that pop up are less significant than needed to justify themselves though. I do them for the intuition points more than fun, so it feels like grinding in Final Fantasy 7 or something. Just with the added annoyance of actually having to go to the thing that randomly pops up instead of your screen spinning into it.

that's pretty funny :) - & just about perfectly captures my feelings, too (tho i hadn't thought about it like that)...

Damn, just bought LA Noire (360 version) at GameStop and I'm having freezing issues when I try to get to the main menu. I'm running the disc update beta but my other games aren't having any freezing problems and run fine. Guess I'll go see if I can return this and get a different copy.

I was really excited to play this too.

Top Bottom