• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

canadian crowe said:
I'm I rushing or is the game a lot shorter than 20 hours? I'm about 4 hours in and started disc 2.
Some cases take more than an hour to solve. Take it easy. Also go to the main menu and look at the percentage youve completed

Grisby

? I think I missed something it said about desks and driving around at night. It was when I got a promotion (after getting past traffic) and it said something about unlocking desks or whatever.

Can anyone clarify that?

graywolf323

crap I don't know which one

in The Golden Butterfly
I can either charge the husband or the child molester and both seem like they could be guilty of it but even perfecting the interrogations of both I can't tell which one for sure did it
:-/

Angry Fork

I was sad when (game spoiler)
you go to the guys apartment who owned the gun, and apparently there's more evidence there then just the notebook in the drawer (i think?) I just went straight for the drawer without looking around the apartment and then the mission ended after =(.

Stuff like that is why i'll likely have just as much fun with another playthrough, just for stuff that I missed or got wrong and so on. I also turned off the vibrating cue for clues, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me when the game gets harder later on and I'm stuck. I can just turn it back on if that's the case but it'll feel like cheating >_>.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Angry Fork said:
I was sad when (game spoiler)
you go to the guys apartment who owned the gun, and apparently there's more evidence there then just the notebook in the drawer (i think?) I just went straight for the drawer without looking around the apartment and then the mission ended after =(.

Stuff like that is why i'll likely have just as much fun with another playthrough, just for stuff that I missed or got wrong and so on. I also turned off the vibrating cue for clues, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me when the game gets harder later on and I'm stuck. I can just turn it back on if that's the case but it'll feel like cheating >_>.
I have no idea why you'd turn off the hints, it'd just mean you'd blindly walk around tapping X and praying you're around evidence.

soloscout said:
I think the DS3 favors slightly larger hands and the 360 controller just seems to work for every hand size. And it has nothing to do with the size of the controllers, it's more on the spacing distance of the buttons in relation to the analog sticks
Actually it's the opposite. The DS3 favors smaller (Japanese) hands while the 360 pad favors larger (American) hands.

I had both versions in my Gamefly queue and they decided to send me the 360 one so I look forward to jumping into LA Noire tonight!

BobsRevenge said:
Well, that's really unfair.

Not really. I enjoyed the original Mafia, it was one of the first unique GTA-inspired games. Mafia 2 should have done more than stick in modern mechanics and purdiness on top of a predictably stale storyline.

It's not as if I'm alone in feeling this way - these are the most common complaints against it.

Now having said the above, I'm still only about 1-2 hours into LA Noire. I could have similar feelings by game end.

Gary Whitta said:
It's not you, it's the stick. Last night when I was doing a final hands-on controller comparison to decide which version I wanted to play, it just confirmed how much I hate the DS3 and love the 360 pad. No contest really. Mileage varies of course but other people have complained about the same thing in this thread.
Yeah . . . I picked up the PS3 version for all the reasons previously brought up but I sure wish I could use the 360 controller. I just don't like the DS3 controller.

The game should have put in difficulty levels for the gunfights . . . that way people who like shooters could get more mileage out of the game but those that just want the interactive fiction could set it for easy.

MWS Natural said:
Actually it's the opposite. The DS3 favors smaller (Japanese) hands while the 360 pad favors larger (American) hands.

I had both versions in my Gamefly queue and they decided to send me the 360 one so I look forward to jumping into LA Noire tonight!

41785_2215216776_3654_n.jpg

jahpanes hand eh so smaw!

JoeBoy101

pelicansurf said:
I have no idea why you'd turn off the hints, it'd just mean you'd blindly walk around tapping X and praying you're around evidence.

Adds uncertainty. You can never be too sure whether you have gotten or seen everything. I did the same thing; turned off vibrating clues and put the clue music to always on. Makes me feel more in control of the investigation and less like I'm being led around by nose.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
K' Dash said:
I'm playing trough optical too and no, everything normal.

My Sony receiver has an option to adjust lag, but you would have to adjust it again when you play another game.

Odd. It seems it is just through my Astros. I will try my normal surround over optical tonight and see if the issue still shows.

The Lamp

The game really reminds me of the good parts of Indigo Prophecy (where you investigated crime scenes or talked to people, like in the beginning). I feel like they handled clue finding a bit better, though.

Too bad the rest of IP was trash.

Plasmid

Do 5 star cases increase you toward 100%, like, say you have all landmarks, reels etc but your cases aren't 5 stars, is that preventing 100% access?

SixStringPsycho said:
God I wish that instead of killing enemies I could shoot the gun out of their hands and take them in for questioning. RDR had this.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game, but I agree and feel these sequences are a bit out of step with the main game's detective work. I went into those trying to be all Sonny Bonds, and was a bit puzzled that the game only offered one result. I'm pretty early on though, maybe they change it up later.

masterkajo

It was asked here before but I didn't find an answer to it yet. Can you complete the side quests (calls you get while driving) later on or do they disappear if you don't take them immediately. It's just because, IMO they take all the atmosphere away while in case. I'd much rather do them inbetween cases (not possible, I know) or afterwards.

soloscout

Neo Member
MWS Natural said:

How are those 10 year olds so nasty at Halo! :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
bonesmccoy said:
Not really. I enjoyed the original Mafia, it was one of the first unique GTA-inspired games. Mafia 2 should have done more than stick in modern mechanics and purdiness on top of a predictably stale storyline.

It's not as if I'm alone in feeling this way - these are the most common complaints against it.

Now having said the above, I'm still only about 1-2 hours into LA Noire. I could have similar feelings by game end.
I don't think the storyline was what drew criticism to the game. Not sure I recall thinking of it as stale being a popular opinion. People were mostly let down by the structure and amount of driving.

Uh, so how do I redo cases that I've already solved? Is that possible? I'd really like to go back and get better rankings on them, but I don't know if it means a full-on restart of the game :\

Angry Fork

timetokill said:
Uh, so how do I redo cases that I've already solved? Is that possible? I'd really like to go back and get better rankings on them, but I don't know if it means a full-on restart of the game :\
Kotaku video said this was possible I think, there's some option that allows you to retry stuff, although maybe I was mistaken and you're only allowed to retry stuff you 'failed'.

BobsRevenge said:
I don't think the storyline was what drew criticism to the game. Not sure I recall thinking of it as stale being a popular opinion. People were mostly let down by the structure and amount of driving.

You may be right about the story criticism among reviewers, but for me, I felt let down by the narrative. There just wasn't anything there that hadn't been done in film, literature, or the last Mafia game.

But as I said above, I'll have to see how much of my affinity for LA Noire remains after I finish it.

AdamMPSP

aperman said:
anyone else in the LA area get their amazon release date shipment delayed because of a mechanical issue with one of UPS' planes?

my copy is in Arizona instead of in my 360. :(

sad first post..

Yep. Looks like everyone in LA is delayed until today. Mine is out for delivery, though, so here's hoping.

I've complained to Amazon about it. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

UPDATE: Amazon gave me a $7 promotional credit for the messed up shipping. YMMV.

protonion

timetokill said:

You can from the tilte screen.

So I just checked the stats page and saw that I had 0/50 film reels. Are these like the GTA hidden packages? I've played for about 10 hours and never found one. The game must be a good 30 hours for main and side missions.

Plasmid

protonion said:
You can from the tilte screen.

So I just checked the stats page and saw that I had 0/50 film reels. Are these like the GTA hidden packages? I've played for about 10 hours and never found one. The game must be a good 30 hours for main and side missions.

I haven't seen any reels either.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So on marriage made in heaven:

I solved the case, got all clues and all questions correct, got 5 stars, and it told me that I could have seen more by going back to Rey's at some point. but nowhere in the case did it seem natural to go back to the cafe. Am I missing something, like a point of banter or something? Would have liked to have seen more and definitely will on a replay of the case, but it really seems extra.

The Lamp said:
If they're hidden throughout LA, I'm not going exploring around a useless LA for film reels. Sorry. It's not happening.
I'm through marriage made in heaven and 9 side missions. I drive everywhere and I've already seen a ton of the city. I get some of the complaints a little, but really you see all of the city already just playing the game. I already have like 8 landmarks by just driving from point a to point b.

Marleyman

Banned
borghe said:

I solved the case, got all clues and all questions correct, got 5 stars, and it told me that I could have seen more by going back to Rey's at some point. but nowhere in the case did it seem natural to go back to the cafe. Am I missing something, like a point of banter or something? Would have liked to have seen more and definitely will on a replay of the case, but it really seems extra.

I had the same thing happen to me. I even
went back to Rey's
and got nothing else from it.

Angry Fork

The Lamp said:
If they're hidden throughout LA, I'm not going exploring around a useless LA for film reels. Sorry. It's not happening.
That's why you use maps online, I think someone already found all of them and posted the locations. I did the same for AC2 when it came to those feathers. I'm not such a trophy whore anymore though so I probably wouldn't do that today, but I think i'm going to for LA Noire because I love the city so much.

JoeBoy101 said:
Adds uncertainty. You can never be too sure whether you have gotten or seen everything. I did the same thing; turned off vibrating clues and put the clue music to always on. Makes me feel more in control of the investigation and less like I'm being led around by nose.

I can see turning off the "all clues found" notification, but the chime/vibration just lets you know when you're near an object you can interact with; not all of them are clues. It doesn't feel any more/less "difficult" to me, it just removes the tedium of wailing on the A button with every step you take.

Miggytronz

borghe said:

Marleyman said:
I had the same thing happen to me. I even
went back to Rey's
and got nothing else from it.

I didnt get all questions right, never went back to Rey's and I solved the case yet the same message came up for me.

Gooster said:
On top of that, I think a lot of us are conditioned to retry what we did wrong immediately given the opportunity. I'm trying to just go with the flow but my mistakes always come off as more stupid than just being misled.

Basically the one thing David Cage was right about when he said he wanted you to play through the game without restarting a chapter when you did something you felt was wrong

borghe said:

So, I'm can't quite recall the exact chain of events but
I paid a visit to the coronor who discovered that the victim was stabbed and likely dead before he got hit by the car, then go back to Rey's and find a knife in the trash can in the alleyway next to the bar. You end up chasing the bar owner and arresting him for the crime. Did others end up bringing in the driver of the red lincoln?

Tobor

MrCompletely said:
I paid a visit to the coronor who discovered that the victim was stabbed and likely dead before he got hit by the car, then go back to Rey's and find a knife in the trash can in the alleyway next to the bar. You end up chasing the bar owner and arresting him for the crime. Did others end up bringing in the driver of the red lincoln?
That's exactly what I did as well. I got a message afterwards that
I could have brought in the driver for a no stop charge

Evlar

Banned
MrCompletely said:
Hmm. Interesting. Mine's different.
I found the knife the first time I visited the bar, never went back to Ray's. Caught up with the bar owner and the victim's wife at the victim's house. The bar owner shot the wife, then ran. By the time I caught up he had taken a hostage and I killed him. Got a 'Valorious' rating, but a message saying I could have learned more about what the bar owner was capable of if I had visited the bar a second time.

Miggytronz

MrCompletely said:

Heres the events that i took. (i forgot all the names to character involved)

-While doing my crime scene search i found the knife.
-Talked to the lady out front
-Talked to the bartender
-Went to Wifes/Victims house
-Went to Car owners house, He runs and gets chased down, arrested
-Went to Coroners, He tells us that the guy was dead before the car accident, Cole introduces the found knife bit.
-Went back to wifes/victims house, Wife and New Boyfriend layout all the details on how they killed Husband, Boyfriend shoots Wife, rundown/shootout, Boyfriend gets killed.
-Case closed

thats how it ended for me

Mikasangelos said:
Heres the events that i took. (i forgot all the names to character involved)

-While doing my crime scene search i found the knife.
-Talked to the lady out front
-Talked to the bartender
-Went to Wifes/Victims house
-Went to Car owners house, He runs and gets chased down, arrested
-Went to Coroners, He tells us that the guy was dead before the car accident, Cole introduces the found knife bit.
-Went back to wifes/victims house, Wife and New Boyfriend layout all the details on how they killed Husband, Boyfriend shoots Wife, rundown/shootout, Boyfriend gets killed.
-Case closed

thats how it ended for me

This is exactly how it played out for me too!

I knew the guy had been stabbed before the coroner told me because I found the knife, I wish there was a way for me to tell the game I figured this out and move forward instead of just going through the motions.

What's up with the hidden vehicles?

Are those question marks going to appear throughout the entire game, or were they just for the first few cars to let you know they're out there?

brentech

JetBlackPanda said:
This is exactly how it played out for me too!

I knew the guy had been stabbed before the coroner told me because I found the knife, I wish there was a way for me to tell the game I figured this out and move forward instead of just going through the motions.
Yeah, but
when you find the knife, you or partner states that you don't know if it's linked to the crime, as it could have been used on food or anything else. Basically, just because there is a knife, until coroner tells you there were stab wounds, you don't have huge reason to believe it's involved...even though it looks fairly obvious.

brentech said:
Yeah, but
when you find the knife, you or partner states that you don't know if it's linked to the crime, as it could have been used on food or anything else. Basically, just because there is a knife, until coroner tells you there were stab wounds, you don't have huge reason to believe it's involved...even though it looks fairly obvious.

This and
the coronor does acknowledge the wounds, but attributes it to the hood ornament on the car.

Lacking technology like DNA testing and other NCIS/CSI era forensic tools makes for a much more interesting investigation.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Do you guys know if the PS3 version has Spanish subtitltes? (For my dad)

Okay, so why is the game telling me how many questions I missed immediately after each questioning?

Wouldn't it be a million times better if I was allowed to keep thinking the wrong thing as the case progressed? Or at least until new evidence pops up that will change my mind? I think I'm reading the case perfectly, but then I see "Questions 1/3 Correct" pop up on the screen, I immediately know I'm not reading the case correctly at all.

That text should be considered a clue/hint and should be turned off when setting Clue Hints to OFF in the gameplay menu.

Top Bottom