• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Evlar said:
Hmm. Interesting. Mine's different.
I found the knife the first time I visited the bar, never went back to Ray's. Caught up with the bar owner and the victim's wife at the victim's house. The bar owner shot the wife, then ran. By the time I caught up he had taken a hostage and I killed him. Got a 'Valorious' rating, but a message saying I could have learned more about what the bar owner was capable of if I had visited the bar a second time.

Wow, that is COMPLETELY different than how the case played out, for me.

That's really impressive, actually.

Makes me wonder how wildly the game's cases can diverge...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Do you guys know if the PS3 version has Spanish subtitltes? (For my dad)

Posted for the new page.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Okay, so why is the game telling me how many questions I missed immediately after each questioning?

Wouldn't it be a million times better if I was allowed to keep thinking the wrong thing as the case progressed? Or at least until new evidence pops up that will change my mind? I think I'm reading the case perfectly, but then I see "Questions 1/3 Correct" pop up on the screen, I immediately know I'm not reading the case correctly at all.

That text should be considered a clue/hint and should be turned off when setting Clue Hints to OFF in the gameplay menu.

I feel this way too, I don't like it telling me I got it right or wrong.. what is the point?? even if you get 0/6 and they did commit the crime the game will make sure you find evidence and finish the case no matter what anyways. (I don't really like that but oh well)

Fersis said:
Do you guys know if the PS3 version has Spanish subtitltes? (For my dad)

Posted for the new page.
Do you have your system set to spanish? If it is, and subs are on then NO. If not try it.
Also I wish this was translated in spanish so my wifes dad could see it. He loves movies that are like this.

BKXB

Economist
Evlar said:
I found the knife the first time I visited the bar, never went back to Ray's. Caught up with the bar owner and the victim's wife at the victim's house. The bar owner shot the wife, then ran. By the time I caught up he had taken a hostage and I killed him. Got a 'Valorious' rating, but a message saying I could have learned more about what the bar owner was capable of if I had visited the bar a second time.

There's also an achievement for finding it the first time.

UfSzk.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
A lot of people are missing investigation questions because they don't understand the distinction between lie and doubt. It works like this:

Truth - Derp
Doubt - You think they are lying, but don't have any specific proof.
Lie - You think they are lying, and have a specific piece of evidence in your possession that proves it.

Basically, the times you pick "lie" are generally pretty obvious:

"I wasn't at the movies!"
*player selects 'lie' & pulls out the dude's movie ticket stub*

In defense of the player, the game DOES explain this point, but doesn't explain it very well, in my opinion. Since doubt/lie are fuzzy anyway, the tutorial interview should have really hammered on this point, so everyone got it. Cole probably should have verbalized his thoughts for that first one "Hmm... I don't trust them, but I don't have any proof. I should push by 'doubting' their story..."

It's amazing that you get this much diversity in one of the first REAL cases. Can't imagine what's in store down the road!

And that comic is hilarious.

Impressions of the first ten minutes - the driving is way too touchy.

I only have impressions of the first ten minutes because my PS3 got its third YLOD as I walked up to the first store you visit.

(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻

Marleyman

Banned
petethepanda said:
Impressions of the first ten minutes - the driving is way too touchy.

I only have impressions of the first ten minutes because my PS3 got its third YLOD as I walked up to the first store you visit.

(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻

YES. I perfected GTA driving but Team Bondi threw that out the window.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but just wanted to say that I'm playing 360 off the disc and haven't had a single framerate issue, no freezing or slow down, nothing. Not sure if there's been Pop because I speed like a maniac and am too focused on dodging stuff to focus on the outer city. I can say I haven't seen it in my regular field of vision. Really enjoying the game so far as the interrogations are a blast and I love trying to find all the clues before the questioning. It stings when I see I missed a clue in the end case results though haha Stopped at the Fallen Idol and I've seen a few of you say that's an awesome case so can't wait to play it tonight.

The Antitype said:
Damnit. I've become a detective, and I'm past rank 3 (which some people are saying when it comes up), but I still don't have it. So lame. :(
Are you a Rockstar community member? Check out that community option from the main menu, you have to be a member to get that outfit.

Evlar said:
I had the exact same occurence as you. Did anyone go back to Ray's and see what was different? Also, I somehow missed a single clue on this case, no idea how because I searched the area pretty damn thoroughly. Look foward to finding out what it was when I go back for the five star rating later.

To those that want perfection: You should really just play the game normal for the full experience and then just do a seperate 5 star run after you beat the game. You're only going to mar your experience by replaying most missions right after beating them and what's the fun if you're perfect right from the start? It's equivalent to playing a mario game with invinciblity and the inability to fall off cliffs...

Marleyman said:
YES. I perfected GTA driving but Team Bondi threw that out the window.
Whats funny is these cars had no power steering and they play like they have, while GTA's cars are supposed to have power steering and they play like they dont.

Miggytronz

Man this latest discussion on that case makes me happy that there can be various outcomes to cases. OH man more hype while playing this game!

Struct09 said:
Amazon just automatically gave me an extra $5 credit (on top of the $15 for preordering), probably matching WalMart's deal. <3 you forever Amazon!
That means my $4 Dark Souls is now FREE! YAY!

I probably missed this in the thread, but I also just got this 30 minutes ago:

Amazon said:
Reason for refund: Pre-order price protection

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $0.99
Item Tax Refund: $0.09

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Gift Card: $1.08
Amazon just keeps giving and giving.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SixStringPsycho said:
Do you have your system set to spanish? If it is, and subs are on then NO. If not try it.
Also I wish this was translated in spanish so my wifes dad could see it. He loves movies that are like this.
Im asking because i dont have th game yet.

owlbeak

Well....I was on the Fallen Idol case. I was racing my car over to
Mark Bishop's apartment
, I was driving up a hill and couldn't see the top. Turns out there was a cliff at the very top. I did almost exactly the same thing that the case was about in the first place. Both doors blew off the car, it flipped upside down, Cole and Berkowski (or whatever your partners name is) were both mangled inside the car. But they kept talking like nothing was wrong. I had to restart the case! :lol :lol :lol

Pic:

qyNRm.jpg

birdcity said:
Mark Bishop's apartment
, I was driving up a hill and couldn't see the top. Turns out there was a cliff at the very top. I did almost exactly the same thing that the case was about in the first place. Both doors blew off the car, it flipped upside down, Cole and Berkowski (or whatever your partners name is) were both mangled inside the car. But they kept talking like nothing was wrong. I had to restart the case! :lol :lol :lol

Pic:

qyNRm.jpg
IRONY!!!

birdcity said:
Mark Bishop's apartment

Pic:

qyNRm.jpg

LOL Thats awesome!

Evlar

Banned
birdcity said:
Mark Bishop's apartment
, I was driving up a hill and couldn't see the top. Turns out there was a cliff, and I did almost exactly the same thing that the case was about in the first place. Both doors blew off the car, it flipped upside down, Cole and Berkowski (or whatever your partners name is) were both mangled inside the car. But they kept talking like nothing was wrong. I had to restart the case! :lol :lol :lol

Pic:

qyNRm.jpg
Damn, full weight of the car resting on the roof. They don't make 'em like they used to! Someone earlier said you couldn't flip the cars... there goes that theory.

I did the same thing regarding driving off a cliff trying to get to the apartment, but did NOT flip. Landed on the nose, dropped down on the tires and kept driving.

Kintaro said:
This is 100% true and it WRECKS any immersion this game has when it happens. It makes me laugh every time...which is not good.

Even better is that most of the questionings end with a polite, unironic "Thank you, have a nice day" type of response after all that grilling.

The Lamp

Wow, this was just annoying (animation-wise and dialogue-wise), and lifeless eyes moments all-around!
Cole: Michelle, your mother is dead!
Michelle: (starts sobbing like crazy)
Cole: Can you answer some questions?
Michelle: I could try!

lol wtf

bumpkin

Uh oh... So apparently there's chatter in the PSN thread that LA Noire is causing problems with PS3s like over-heating and so on when the latest firmware (3.61) is installed. Has anyone here encountered the problems yet? If so, what model of PS3 do you have?

Copied from my post in the PSN thread... Does the game give the option to install, and does the problem still occur if you do install it? I picked up the PS3 version last night but haven't opened it yet... Might suck up the 3-disc nonsense and exchange for the 360 version if the PS3 version is going to give me problems (I have the 80gb "Motorstorm bundle" PS3).

Just terrible, terrible timing.

Evlar

Banned
bumpkin said:
Uh oh... So apparently there's chatter in the PSN thread that LA Noire is causing problems with PS3s like over-heating and so on when the latest firmware (3.61) is installed. Has anyone here encountered the problems yet? If so, what model of PS3 do you have?

Copied from my post in the PSN thread... Does the game give the option to install, and does the problem still occur if you do install it? I picked up the PS3 version last night but haven't opened it yet... Might suck up the 3-disc nonsense and exchange for the 360 version if the PS3 version is going to give me problems (I have the 80gb "Motorstorm bundle" PS3).

No.

EDIT: Late-run 60 gig, btw.

Still on the first case, why does it restart the interogation everytime I pick the wrong answer or evidence? Is this basically a tutorial and later on it doesnt let you do that?

R2D4

Banned
bumpkin said:

Slim and not having any problems.

Miggytronz

Outtrigger888 said:
Still on the first case, why does it restart the interogation everytime I pick the wrong answer or evidence? Is this basically a tutorial and later on it doesnt let you do that?

yeah

Iceman

I've only played through the first detective case.. but I've already taken part in five side missions.. how do you possibly ignore a dispatch call when they say an officer needs assistance or that there's been an officer involved shooting? I can't not go.. plus, because it's LA, where I live.. I feel a weird kind of duty.

Anyone get the
crazy person side mission yet? Is it possible to finish that mission without the guy dying?

I do get the impression that I've put several dozen people into the ground in a single afternoon. Why am I alwasy calling for ambulances? There must be less violent ways of getting through these missions, right?

Teknoman

GDJustin said:
Wow, that is COMPLETELY different than how the case played out, for me.

That's really impressive, actually.

Makes me wonder how wildly the game's cases can diverge...

Thats kinda cool then. I didnt find
the knife until the second visit, and I think I should've visited the supect driver and the coroner before going to the house to question the other two.

Iceman said:
I've only played through the first detective case.. but I've already taken part in five side missions.. how do you possibly ignore a dispatch call when they say an officer needs assistance or that there's been an officer involved shooting? I can't not go.. plus, because it's LA, where I live.. I feel a weird kind of duty.

Anyone get the
crazy person side mission yet? Is it possible to finish that mission without the guy dying?

I do get the impression that I've put several dozen people into the ground in a single afternoon. Why am I alwasy calling for ambulances? There must be less violent ways of getting through these missions, right?

Tackling or firing your gun in the air (aim at their back until the circle fills). Not sure if you can do either in every side call though.

bumpkin said:

I have not had any problems at all (besides a noisy drive) but if anything is happening inside my PS3 I will rage!! this is the first multi platform game I have got on PS3 and I am already regretting my decision because of the controller, I don't need anything else to worry about.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm on the last desk (set of cases)...so late game spoiler...don't really understand why
Cole suddenly got demoted because of the scandal. Why did that even happen in the first place? I remember seeing the cutscene of him going that girl's place but why was he doing that? I must have missed something in the story because it felt way too forced. I thought i messed something up in the case but Im assuming its part of the story anyway

God damn is this game sloppy with its story telling, the end of vice was so forced and out of no where it makes you wonder how much was cut from this game. It really ripped me out of the experience, it was so shitily foreshadowed and so poorly built up. Any thoughts? I am surprised it was never discussed in reviews.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Each case has presented an interesting Case Note at the end of it.

The Fallen Idol one:
Said that if I had made it to Bishop's aparement faster, I could have given McAfee's Goons "Whats for." Old English phrasing :jnc

On The First Homicide case
I ended up solving the case with both the husband (because of the note) and the Latino (because of the license plate number from the bar owner) for the murder.

But something feels totally wrong about that situation, specifically the bar owner. He says she left with someone he really didn't know, and just happens to notch down the complete plate number and write it down. That + a bloody box, wrench and lipstick just left open on the floor in that same guy's apartment, just seems off. Feels like a setup between the bar owner and husband to implicate the other guy, instead of just the husband hiring a random guy to kill his wife.

I wonder what would have happened if I had went back to station after arresting the husband, and not went straight to the other guy's apartment. A possible interrogation?

On the second homicide case now.

oh, and knock on wood, I've got a launch PS3, the new FW, and played LA Noire for 5 hours yesterday. KNOCK ON DAT WOOD

Fjordson

I'm surprised some people don't like the open city. I love driving around in it and when I don't feel like it I simply let my partner drive and go straight to the next scene.

Tawpgun

Without spoilering anything, are all the clue's going to be so obvious that they are on the ground or on desks or something? I'm on the first homicide case and there hasn't been anything like the gun you find in the first mission.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TheFuryMGS3 said:
God damn is this game sloppy with its story telling, the end of vice was so forced and out of no where it makes you wonder how much was cut from this game. It really ripped me out of the experience, it was so shitily foreshadowed and so poorly built up. Any thoughts? I am surprised it was never discussed in reviews.
Are we sure the reviewers played that far in? I'm not reading any reviews until I beat the game. Even been avoiding the scores.

But, honestly, this is a long game and they've got deadlines.

Top Bottom