• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Plasmid

Alright so collecting cars is frustrating but hilarious, i found a car and roy starting running down the block the other way, he ran a good 1.5 blocks and i couldn't get in probably due to that reason, so fucking funy :lol

Wow. I really hope this game gets better. So far the writing and the story are really terrible.
It's very disjointed and these segments are really short with terrible transitions.
I am disappoint.

delume

I'm loving it so far. Finding myself really immersed the world and intrigued by the characters. I'm also enjoying the mix between detective work and action (heavy on detective work). While the new face animation isn't perfect, I think I will find it very hard to go back to traditionally animated faces in the future.

I guess a good example of how this game has got me is: I stopped at a red light yesterday, just because it felt right. I have never done that in a game before. Ever.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Phantom Limbs said:
Wow. I really hope this game gets better. So far the writing and the story are really terrible.
It's very disjointed and these segments are really short with terrible transitions.
I am disappoint.
How far in are you? What department are you working for?

delume said:
I'm loving it so far. Finding myself really immersed the world and intrigued by the characters. I'm also enjoying the mix between detective work and action (heavy on detective work). While the new face animation isn't perfect, I think I will find it very hard to go back to traditionally animated faces in the future.

I guess a good example of how this game has got me is: I stopped at a red light yesterday, just because it felt right. I have never done that in a game before. Ever.

If anything is close to perfect in this game it is the facial animation...

Tawpgun

What the hell. Is the Black Caeser case glitched for anyone else?

I did the slot machine and radio and investigated the contents, but they never appeared in my Clues. When Jermaine Jones said he didn't distribute anything, I called him out, expecting to see the bag of drugs/morphine in my clues (Cole did say it looked like distribution) but I couldn't find it. So I used the popcorn guys confession who says Jones is the distributor and I got it wrong? What the hell?

Before I unleash on the game, remember.....I STILL LIKE IT, but:

I done a few more Homicide cases and things are getting so repetitive - the cases feel exactly the same. The facial expressions can be incredible (OMG the daughter of the suspected father on the Homicide case was incredible!!!) but they also get it embarrassingly wrong sometimes. In one flash back cut-scene one of the characters had a huge body and then a really tiny head, it looked ridiculous. Then you have the dead eyes on some characters. Speaking of characters, in this game they are unbelievably thin, boring and forgettable.

The cases are also paper thin, with zero attachment to any of the characters introduced in them, and unanswered questions plague them that just don’t make much sense - it really hurts the game.....and the fact that a lot of times it's a struggle to follow such basic stories at times is a big problem. The cases have zero depth, but at the same time the game is so, so sloppy at explaining things. And I feel no satisfaction from arresting anyone in this game and the culprit is 90% of the time exactly who you suspect. Compared to how Phoenix Wright does things this game is a pretty big FAIL!

**goes back to playing**

xxracerxx said:
How far in are you? What department are you working for?
I'm still right in the beginning. I'm still a regular cop.
Might be too soon to judge, I acknowledge that, that's why I'm hoping it gets better because the initial impressions are.....not too good.

delume

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If anything is close to perfect in this game it is the facial animation...
Don't get me wrong, it is amazing but funny things are still happening with lips and teeth. Or at least my eyes see it that way.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Phantom Limbs said:
Might be too soon to judge, I acknowledge that, that's why I'm hoping it gets better because the initial impressions are.....not too good.
Oh man, you are still in tutorial land. Way too soon for you to be posting disappointment.

delume said:
Don't get me wrong, it is amazing but funny things are still happening with lips and teeth. Or at least my eyes see it that way.

Fair enough, I just haven't noticed anything strange.

Phantom Limbs said:

It does get better, per se. However, there are times when it drags on and the mechanics just don't do it anymore. At least in
homicide
division. But, I think the success of this game is based personal experience for each player. It's tough to get any idea about the game from other opinions.

Irish

Phantom Limbs said:

Yeah, I'm not sure you'll end up liking the rest of the game if you are not really into the stuff you are doing now. I personally enjoyed the beat cop and traffic cases, but things really started to drag after that.

Just started Disc 3, and while it's still my GOTY, I get the complaints. It's not a game that you can play for hours on end. Too many cases are too similar and the investigations are too rigid.

I think the setting might have handcuffed them to the simplistic investigation techniques. If it was set in a later time period you could use more methods of investigating the scene and they could have hidden the clues better.

DCX

DCX
canadian crowe said:
Just started Disc 3, and while it's still my GOTY, I get the complaints. It's not a game that you can play for hours on end. Too many cases are too similar and the investigations are too rigid.

I think the setting might have handcuffed them to the simplistic investigation techniques. If it was set in a later time period you could use more methods of investigating the scene and they could have hidden the clues better.
NY Noire: Modern Policeman

DCX

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Would you have really liked to have waited weeks for evidence to get back from the lab?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually uploaded a (shitty phone camera recorded) video about what I think is stupid/broken about the interrogations. This is from The White Shoe Slaying case if you haven't gotten that far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttf6R4Gzdfo

I added annotations that should explain everything, but if not then
the bartender tells me that the girl was promised to go dancing with two guys. Then the next question is immediately asking him where she went, even though I already know. He says he "didn't catch that" despite just saying, so he obviously lied...yet doubt is wrong, truth is right. He also looks away, scratches his side, and says uhhhnope, which all are things that point to not being truthful. I just wanted to press him for more info, I don't see why truth was the way to do so.

Only complaint so far is Cole's tank-iness and driving controls, but to the latter I have never driven a car from the '40s so maybe it's spot on.

vidal said:
Question. Why is everyone touching evidence with their bare hands?
That's how they did back in the day.

Don't know if this has been said yet, but one thing I've learned is that it's a bad idea to save/quit the game in the middle of a case and return to it later because so much depends on remembering what was said in earlier conversations. I guess you could refer to the transcripts but that's no fun. I've found it's best to finish out a case before quitting for the night.

Makoto

Papercuts said:
I actually uploaded a (shitty phone camera recorded) video about what I think is stupid/broken about the interrogations. This is from The White Shoe Slaying case if you haven't gotten that far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttf6R4Gzdfo

the bartender tells me that the girl was promised to go dancing with two guys. Then the next question is immediately asking him where she went, even though I already know. He says he "didn't catch that" despite just saying, so he obviously lied...yet doubt is wrong, truth is right. He also looks away, scratches his side, and says uhhhnope, which all are things that point to not being truthful. I just wanted to press him for more info, I don't see why truth was the way to do so.
What part do you have a problem with exactly? The fact that the tells aren't always consistent in the game or that
the bartender told the truth as far he knew?

Papercuts said:
While I haven't gotten that far yet, I actually wrote about a similar situation a few pages back about the Fallen Idol case (except there most certainly was evidence that implied that it was not truthful, and even the reply that followed from the person being interrogated later showed that it wasn't the whole truth). I certainly don't agree with some of the game logic, especially when I know when a certain statement is not and cannot be true. It would seem there are more tenuous factors in play, such as motive and character, but it can get very ambiguous.

Papercuts

vidal said:
What part do you have a problem with exactly? The fact that the tells aren't always consistent in the game or that
the bartender told the truth as far he knew?

Both, kinda. When I said doubt to his second statement, he told me the two guys promised to take her dancing. The next question asked "where did she go?" he said "he didn't catch then" when he did, and just told me. So truth pressed him for more info, doubt made him say nothing, but truth shouldn't have worked there because he DID clearly know, so he wasn't telling the truth.

But the tells aren't consistent either, yeah. He starts off with uncertainty in his voice and makes a lot of body movement. There's a lot of tells in the game that are really obvious, either in the voice or the face, but the middleground is where stuff can get sketchy.

Necromanti said:
While I haven't gotten that far yet, I actually wrote about a similar situation a few pages back about the Fallen Idol case (except there most certainly was evidence that implied that it was not truthful, and even the reply that followed from the person being interrogated later showed that it wasn't the whole truth). I certainly don't agree with some of the game logic, especially when I know when a certain statement is not and cannot be true. It would seem there are more tenuous factors in play, such as motive and character, but it can get very ambiguous.

Yeah, I've posted about this type of issue before, that was just the breaking point where I decided to use a video to get the point across.

I do fine on the cases themselves, I got 5 stars on a handful, 4 on the rest, 2 stars on one case(which is actually 5 stars if you change ONE decision, and is the stupidest case in the game so far). But the few times I miss a question it's more often than not a case like this, where I don't feel like I'm in control of what the game is doing, even if I'm trying to examine the faces, voices, evidence, etc.

RPGCrazied said:
I hope to get this within the week. Do all PS3 buyers get that case? Is it in the box, or did you have to preorder it?
No extra stuff is in the box, everything is a PSN download. Which means you can't get at it until the store comes back up.

RPGCrazied

Gary Whitta said:
No extra stuff is in the box, everything is a PSN download. Which means you can't get at it until the store comes back up.

No, no. I mean, do you get the code in the box? Or did you have to preorder the game to get the code? I know we can't download anything without the store, but that should be up next week sometime.

Makoto

Papercuts said:
Both, kinda. When I said doubt to his second statement, he told me the two guys promised to take her dancing. The next question asked "where did she go?" he said "he didn't catch then" when he did, and just told me. So truth pressed him for more info, doubt made him say nothing, but truth shouldn't have worked there because he DID clearly know, so he wasn't telling the truth.
I watched the video but don't recall the investigation in its entirety,
does he tell you exactly where they went? Because if I overhear two people saying, "Let's go to school." And an investigator asks me where they went, I still haven't mentioned where exactly they went in a city full of different schools, which is what Phelps meant when he asked where they went, he wanted an exact location. The bartender merely overheard their plans to go dancing, he doesn't know if they actually did or where exactly they went, so I'd say he was telling the truth as far as he knew.

But I agree that his tells throw it off.

yellow submarine said:
Wait.... what? So far, I've had some "story" based conversations when my partner is driving and it only cuts to the loading screen after the conversation is over. Are you saying that there are other conversations I will miss by not driving, or are there specific events triggered by me driving to places?

I wouldn't worry about it. The traversing the "open world" is one of the lamest things about the game. If you miss out on a few dialog options, so be it. It's easier to let it automate.

I found the game to be pretty...Underwhelming when it was all said and done. Solid I suppose, but forgettable. A bunch of little things really kept it from shining.

I did really enjoy the Traffic cases though. They were just swell.

Grisby

Oh wow, I really liked the Naked Mission DLC mission. Just felt like a nice all around case and it was paced well.

Should be moving onto arson soon.

Papercuts

vidal said:
I watched the video but don't recall the investigation in its entirety,
does he tell you exactly where they went? Because if I overhear two people saying, "Let's go to school." And an investigator asks me where they went, I still haven't mentioned where exactly they went in a city full of different schools. The similar applies, the bartender merely overheard their plans to go dancing, he doesn't know if they actually did or where exactly they went, so I'd say he was telling the truth as far as he knew.

He never says the exact building, it isn't until right after you talk to him the guy in the red polo tries to run, you stop him and say something about the bartender saying they went dancing. He tells you the exact place IIRC.

The actual part in the video is pointless, really. You can still find out where they went dancing if you mess up the part with the bartender, I just recorded it as an example of me thinking the truth/doubt stuff crosses paths too often. He doesn't know the exact place, but says they went dancing on a line of questioning. The one asking where they went, would it not make more sense for him to say "I heard they were planning to go dancing" which you would then say is truth, and ask if he knows where, and he would say no. Instead he doesn't tell you anything despite atleast hearing, and doubt doesn't get the info out of him(and the tells don't help).

Grisby said:
Oh wow, I really liked the Naked Mission DLC mission. Just felt like a nice all around case and it was paced well.

Should be moving onto arson soon.

I thought arson wasnt available yet? How long was the naked truth case?

nib95

Banned
Amir0x said:
I'm getting close to the end now.

I'd say this game is like a high 7/10 if I'd have to rate it. There's a lot of successes and a lot of failures, and a lot of things I sort of don't know what to think of yet.

To preface, i turned off rumble and clue chimes and never used intuition, so I had to actually find things and examine things and put them together. The clues themselves are really only important as they apply to the way you interrogate people and call them out on their lies, which is the heart of the game's appealing structure. It IS appealing to find a clue, it IS appealing to put it together in the context of the crime and it IS fun to realize someone is lying and then, due to the way you interpreted the crime, nail them with the evidence you've found.

There's still structural issues with it though. They really needed more control over HOW you responded in the interrogation. Should have been more open ended than TRUE, DOUBT, LIE. Also, they really needed to retool how you responded during some selected answers. Sometimes you (Cole, I think?) responded so over the top if you chose even 'doubt' that it came off as forced. Like, one time he was chewing out a fifteen year old girl when I selected 'doubt' and I was like 'fucking jerk.'

But still, the foundation is in place. It works pretty decently.

The voice acting as well needs to be commended... the writing is wildly inconsistent so it's hard to give it straight praise, but the actors all seemingly delivered their lines consistently and the facial animation system is so astounding that their performances actually come through. This aspect needed to be nailed and they did it.

The story is a little mixed. This game is more like a series of episodes than a total appealing narrative. On the micro level, individual cases can frequently be engaging, mysterious and even well written. On the macro level, the main characters are often poorly mapped out and not given enough characterization to really get in line with. I know Cole has a family and a kid, but we almost never see them. Seems an important part of his life to be so overlooked. We know he went to war, but other than contextual commentary on how difficult it was to adapt to America after coming from the horrors of war, it never seemed particularly relevant to what Cole was doing. His war history didn't actually seem to change him as a person, in other words, so it didn't feel natural.

Now the gameplay itself is where the game tends to be the most controversial.

One, I liked the open world. I have no issue with this aspect whatsoever. It was hugely atmospheric, fun to traverse and filled with sights and sounds. Like Mafia II, it's not filled with boring little mini-games or sidequests. it is there specifically to heighten the experience of being a detective and actually performing your duties in the context of L.A. This is incredibly appealing as the apparent glamour and prosperity of L.A. directly contrasts with how the reality of the city is for most people, and I think it's important it was contextualized by this open world format. I'm honestly not even sure it's worth complaining about even if you DIDN'T like it, since you can just have your friend instantly drive you to whatever location you need to go to, thus effectively acting as if the game was a linear romp anyway.

Two, the driving is too loose for my liking. It's slippery around corners, the handling is often awkward for vehicles and so chases aren't as fun as they could be. That said, it's functional and I actually prefer it to the changes they made the vehicle controls in GTA4 compared to GTA3-San Andreas. But GTA3, VC and San Andreas have better vehicle controls than L.A. Noire easy.

Three, the shooting never gave me a problem. I've seen people say 'the shooting sucks', but this is inconsistent with my experience. The guns each have a healthy benefit or downside, I never had any problem with nailing my targets (auto aim off plz) and I was slipping in and out of cover with simplicity. I think a lot of the weapons are completely non-essential since the game takes a more realistic approach to how enemies go down (1-3 shots is all it ever takes), but I did like how if I tried to use my pistol to nail people from a roof Cole would try and miss 99.9% of the time saying (it's too far, I can't make it). But if I picked an appropriate distance weapon, all would be go.

Finally, I played the game in black and white and it really did capture that noir feeling. In this way, some of the visual issues seem to matter less. But it's not a completely attractive game... framerate can be iffy in a lot of the more intense action moments and outside of the facial animation, I'd term the rest of the game's visuals as "functional, but underwhelming." The audio however was consistently amazing throughout and is one of the best soundtracks of the year, hands down. The original stuff is just as incredible as the old classics, proving once again that whenever Rockstar helps out with anything, you can at least count on the music rocking.

So, yeah, I'd say... 7.5/10 if I had to go with a final score. Definitely liked it more than RDR.

Decent impressions. Quite shocked you thought so little of RDR though. Damn...

Need to take a break from this game. Ready to throw my controller at the wall for all the interview questions I get wrong without any clue why. Captain taking a big shit on me after it happened didn't help my mood. :lol

newsguy

I won't spoil anything, but so much of LA Confidential is close!! I'm playing and watching simultaneously and there are many little references.

Vexidus

I picked up this game today, after enjoying GiantBomb's quick look of it so much. I didn't really want to buy it at all, due to my enormous backlog which keeps on growing. I decided to just splurge and enjoy myself with it, and boy what a treat it has been!

First of all, the atmosphere in this game is top notch. Takes me back to my time with Hotel Dusk, one of my favourite games ever. The time period is different, but it gave me a similar vibe, for example the piano note cues and being able to inspect objects irrelevant to the case. I love combing areas for clues, even if it just entails walking around while mashing the X button.

The voice acting in this game is unbelievable. Listening to dialogue is a treat, and that coupled with the facial animation is a serious delight. I recommend turning OFF subtitles for this game. I usually have them on, but I found it detracts from peoples' expressions and subtleties. This game has me paying attention to spoken dialogue more than most other games, partially because you need to assess it afterward. I enjoy the Truth/Lie/Doubt mechanic, and especially the lack of time pressure for it. You can sit there and study the face of a suspect, and make a decision. The intuition points can give a gentle nudge too, if you're truly torn.

I like the pacing of the game too. Some clue finding, some driving where you can do a side mission or find new cars, engaging questioning, a chase here and there, etc. Things are broken up nicely, and keep me interested. I keep wanting to do just one more segment of a case.

I could go on and on about this game, and I've only played about 6 hours of it so far. I'll end with this: The music in this game is incredible. From the period pop radio while cruising around town, to the dark smoky jazz while sleuthing in the night. The soundtrack is golden.

I'm enjoying this game far more than I thought I would. I knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't see it being a GOTY contender. It's been a pleasant surprise, and I urge anyone on the fence to give this game a shot!

sixghost

I honestly can't tell if I'm enjoying the game so far. I'm only a few hours in and I can already see the cases getting extremely repetitive. Anyway, questions:

Does the actual investigation part of the game change at all further into the game, or does it always just fall into the, collect evidence->interview a few people->do the interrogations, cycle? For instance, are any of the cases long drawn out investigations? It seems a little too much like every case is a stand alone CSI or L&O episode at the moment.

Also, do the interrogations become any harder later on? I've done about 3-4 so far and the character's tells have all been painfully easy to spot. I almost wish you could turn that stuff off.

Hopefully I'm still just adjusting to the weirdness of this type of game. I've never been an adventure game fan.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
While I'm enjoying myself through the game so far, everytime I finish a case I still get a feeling of incompleteness - like I want to see how the case ends up during court proceedings, etc. Maybe being too used to Law & Order episode structure and having Phoenix Wright on the brain while playing is giving me this weird expectation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man, so this game has
chase
achievements that basically require hard resets if you fail. More frustrating than finding 50 hidden whatevers.

Vexidus said:
I decided to just splurge and enjoy myself with it, and boy what a treat it has been!

... I've only played about 6 hours of it so far.

Be interested to see if your impression changes after another 6 hours. It seems like the glowing impressions are universally from people in the first 5-6 hours or so.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looking through the ledgers at the Hall of Records is a real Chinatown moment, ha.

edit: Suckerhud Industries!

This game is really missing those "a-ha!" moments where the case clicks and you feel satisfaction for figuring it out. I'm a few hours in to disc 2 and not one single case has gave me a satisfying conclusion. It's either completely obvious from the start, or the case ends and I have no real understanding of the motive.

I think the game would really benefit from a closing cinematic for the cases, like the opening, showing the guy you charged doing it and how all the evidence is relavent. Phoenix Wright does a much better job at giving you a satisfying story than LA Noire so far.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Before I unleash on the game, remember.....I STILL LIKE IT, but:

I done a few more Homicide cases and things are getting so repetitive - the cases feel exactly the same. The facial expressions can be incredible (OMG the daughter of the suspected father on the Homicide case was incredible!!!) but they also get it embarrassingly wrong sometimes. In one flash back cut-scene one of the characters had a huge body and then a really tiny head, it looked ridiculous. Then you have the dead eyes on some characters. Speaking of characters, in this game they are unbelievably thin, boring and forgettable.

The cases are also paper thin, with zero attachment to any of the characters introduced in them, and unanswered questions plague them that just don’t make much sense - it really hurts the game.....and the fact that a lot of times it's a struggle to follow such basic stories at times is a big problem. The cases have zero depth, but at the same time the game is so, so sloppy at explaining things. And I feel no satisfaction from arresting anyone in this game and the culprit is 90% of the time exactly who you suspect. Compared to how Phoenix Wright does things this game is a pretty big FAIL!

**goes back to playing**

Quoting myself....I think I know what the big problem is that would fix most of my complaints. I mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. Longer, less cases > Shorter, more cases would have made a HUGE difference!

A27 Tawpgun said:
What the hell. Is the Black Caeser case glitched for anyone else?

I did the slot machine and radio and investigated the contents, but they never appeared in my Clues. When Jermaine Jones said he didn't distribute anything, I called him out, expecting to see the bag of drugs/morphine in my clues (Cole did say it looked like distribution) but I couldn't find it. So I used the popcorn guys confession who says Jones is the distributor and I got it wrong? What the hell?

From what I remember, the only thing you can call Jermaine Jones out on is that Fleetwood Morgan ratted him out. Be sure you visit Jones BEFORE visiting Ottie, BTW.

Trevelyon

Must say, the city looks gorgeous at night in the rain (White Shoe Slaying) just leisurely driving down Beverly or Broadway is quite striking with all the traffic.

I decided to give the game another go. I did about 3 homicide cases last night and it's all just insanely boring, repetitive and unsatisfying. The problem is a severe lack of continuity and a janky/wonky EVERYTHING.

The interrogations suffer from flawed logic and and insane levels of unpredictability. In one such interrogation last night, I had two pieces of evidence pertaining to the same allegation; one was implied by/directly related to the other and vice versa, but when I selected one to disprove the suspect, the game couldn't put two and two together, so it deduced that I was wrong. Irritating. There's also times when the "evidence" you need to call upon seems as though it's already been blatantly put out there and understood by both parties during conversation. It's all very confusing. And I'm pretty confident in the fact that I'm not a 22 year old idiot, so something's amiss here.

And where's the story at? And why the fuck did the police captain chastise me at the end of the
Hugo Moller case
, even though I discovered something like 9/10 pieces of evidence and answered 11/14 questions correctly? And to add to the confusion of it all, the next cutscene depicted the Captain and Rusty talking about how well I've been doing and how happy they are with the outcome of the case. AWESOME.

I could overlook the majority of these issues if the cases were actually INTERESTING and FUN, but they're not. They're exercises in repetition, punctuated by poor, unsatisfying and often nonsensical conclusions.

I don't know; it's like the game doesn't give a shit about what you're doing or what you want Cole to do. Usually, I wouldn't care about such things, but considering that this is BASICALLY the only thing this game has going for it, it's mighty disappointing. To be honest, I only want to finish this game in order to add merit to my opinion.

And if you're one of these people that's willing to go through this game again: how's masochism going for you?

mickcenary said:
And where's the story at? And why the fuck did the police captain chastise me at the end of the
Hugo Moller case
, even though I discovered something like 9/10 pieces of evidence and answered 11/14 questions correctly? And to add to the confusion of it all, the next cutscene depicted the Captain and Rusty talking about how well I've been doing and how happy they are with the outcome of the case. AWESOME.

HA! I just finished that case not long ago and got the exact same outcome (it's probably not even changeable! -_-) and I was like huh? This game makes Heavy Rain at times look like the greatest videogame of all time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tricky I Shadow said:
HA! I just finished that case not long ago and got the exact same outcome (it's probably not even changeable! -_-) and I was like huh? This game makes Heavy Rain at times look like the greatest videogame of all time.
Like Heavy Rain or not *glares at Amir0x* it at least makes you feel more in control of how the story is being played out. There is zero control over that in LA Noire.

And that's ok, I guess, I just didn't expect that.

Top Bottom