• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Tiktaalik

Duckroll said:
Is there any proof? Like have they said anything as such? Or are you just assuming? A lot of the familiar looking map and interface systems could simply be suggestions which were implemented by Bondi at the publisher's request. I haven't see any interview or report suggesting that Rockstar has any actual development stuff from North or San Diego working on this game at all.

The 1up interview with Brendan McNamara indicates that Bondi had plenty of help from Rockstar. It sounds like Bondi was responsible for the concept and scenario but Rockstar helped a bunch on polish near the end of the project and as well threw manpower toward animation and some gameplay control elements.

1UP: So your end result comes out next week. When you look at it now, what do you think is more the Team Bondi part of the game, or in what other aspect would you say Rockstar helped in bringing to the game?

BM: Well Rockstar is a couple-of-thousand-people type of organization, so when we did things like motion capture, they brought a lot of tech to clean it up because we had more than probably any other game ever made, including GTA4 and things like that. That stuff ended up being a phenomenal amount of work, and we had animators from Rockstar North come out here and churn through that stuff with our guys here. We had a key gameplay group from Rockstar North that came and helped us out with tweaking things like cameras, basic controls, and all that kind of stuff -- just make it feel as smooth and comfortable on a lot of really basic levels. Team Bondi made the game and we designed it. People have been at it for this long, so... [Laughs] We absolutely appreciate the help, and we think it's made the game a much better game, but we're pretty proud of what we did as well.

1UP: If Rockstar came in to help with little tweaks and polish here or there, then what makes this a Team Bondi game?

BM: Well, I don't think anyone has seen this type of game before. This game is about personal interactions and humanity, and that came from our design. We wrote it, directed it, put it together, and came up with the different gameplay elements that we wanted to do. I think the pace of it is slightly different than anything you've ever seen before, and that's part of the design decision in making it. The whole idea that you could do a police procedural interview in a game is our concept.

http://www.1up.com/previews/la-noire-interview-why-seven-years

It'll be interesting to see if the handling of the game feels very "Rockstarish" much in the way that Red Dead felt like GTA with horses.

mik

mik is unbeatable
"NOT RENTABLE"

wtf is that shit?

mKoBa.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not getting the game till next Saturday, now the videos are out, it's going to be a long week. I'm out of the LAN threads till I'm done with the game. Enjoy the game ladies and gentlemen.

duckroll said:
Is there any proof? Like have they said anything as such? Or are you just assuming? A lot of the familiar looking map and interface systems could simply be suggestions which were implemented by Bondi at the publisher's request. I haven't see any interview or report suggesting that Rockstar has any actual development stuff from North or San Diego working on this game at all.

I mean, just look at this, clear Rockstar systems in play. I'm not trying to take ANYTHING away from Team Bondi, but I'm also a bit tired of the people complaining that "Oh why is Rockstar's logo all over the place, this isn't a Rockstar game." Team effort people, team effort.

Chesskid1 said:
1st 15 min of LA Noire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPyXVWL1OM

youtube search by date = <3

Looks so good. Love the slow pace.

dwebo

Tiktaalik said:
The 1up interview with Brendan McNamara indicates that Bondi had plenty of help from Rockstar. It sounds like Bondi was responsible for the concept and scenario but Rockstar helped a bunch on polish near the end of the project and as well threw manpower toward animation and some gameplay control elements.

It'll be interesting to see if the handling of the game feels very "Rockstarish" much in the way that Red Dead felt like GTA with horses.
Nice interview - hadn't seen it before. Apparently, they've been basically just doing QA for a year. That bodes well.
The last year, 2010, I suppose we were really QAing the game. One of the great things about Rockstar is when other people finish a game -- when you get it functioning and complete -- they tend to want to ship; and Rockstar will give you a year to iron it out and make it look as good as possible. I think it really shows in the game.

mik said:
"NOT RENTABLE"

wtf is that shit?

http://i.imgur.com/mKoBa.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Welp, there goes my backup plan.

duckroll

Tiktaalik said:

Thank you. That's what I was looking for. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if it's the terrible video encoding or if they cherry picked scenes for trailers, but almost nothing looks too hot in that 15 minutes footage. Cutscenes don't seem up to quality of some of the memorable trailer scenes, and worse, the gameplay looks really clunky.

Chesskid1

Banned
youtube quality kinda sux and it will probably be pulled soon

but damn this game reeks atomsphere, and that's in very cruddy quality. music really helps.

~Kinggi~

Banned
game almost seems like an old-school adventure game of sorts.

And yeah, this has very clear Rockstar connections in pretty much everything involving the interface and movement.

The interactive detective music with playing chords and chimes more frequently based on clue locations is a brilliant idea.

LProtag

To me it seems like Bondi's got the idea for the vision, the story and the investigation mechanics, Rockstar just seemed to give them an engine to do it all with.

That's a good partnership if you ask me. Good engines being given to people with good ideas.

dwebo

From that 1up interview, apparently they've made two additional desks of cases, and disc size limitations were at least part of the reason why they were cut.

1up said:
1UP: So if you looked back at the original design document back when you were making the company in 2003-04, is it pretty much the same game as we see today?

BM: Yeah, it is. I mean, it's a little bit different in terms of scope. Not massively. We did more desks and more cases. We still have those in the bag -- all of them we did work for, you know, like art and design. It just came to the point and was pretty obvious, like, "Are we going to do a two-layer Blu-ray and then what are we going to do, like seven Xbox 360 discs?" [...]

1UP: Actually, since the game does come out next week, you're obviously done with it, so what's your mind thinking about right now?

BM: Well, we're done and we're finished. We're looking at doing the Japanese one so we can make Mr. Kojima happy. We're very proud that he was complimentary about our game. We're done on that one, and as I said earlier, we've got two full desks -- burglary and bunko [Editor's note: '40s cop slang for "fraud"] -- that never made it into the game, so we've been thinking about those and whether we'll do them. We're actually working on a new project idea now, so we're kicking that around as well. Most of the team are on holiday, to be honest.
So, plenty of fodder for DLC at least.

dwebo said:
From that 1up interview, apparently they've made two additional desks of cases, and disc size limitations were at least part of the reason why they were cut.

So, plenty of fodder for DLC at least.

I actually just read that too. A little disappointing that disc space held them back like that. I mean, I'm sure we'll get it as DLC eventually, but still.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mik said:
"NOT RENTABLE"

wtf is that shit?

http://i.imgur.com/mKoBa.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Haha, what the hell? I have the 360 on in my queue but I also see not rentable for the PS3 one.

Amir0x

Banned
God I can't wait to start reading hands on impressions of the final version. I really hope the investigation has a reasonable level of freedom and requires real deduction skills. If they pull this off it'd be the dream game I've always wanted.

Hype...going too high...

Montresor

Is it wrong that I'm now more excited after learning two desks were cut? I hope DLC support for this game is staggering. I'm so hyped for this Tuesday.

Argh, still can't decide which version to get, I pre-ordered 360 but I'm actually leaning toward PS3 now. Someone hurry up with a comparison!

Amir0x

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Argh, still can't decide which version to get, I pre-ordered 360 but I'm actually leaning toward PS3 now. Someone hurry up with a comparison!

I am leaning PS3 too now. I'm guessing since it was lead on PS3 so long, plus the multiple disc issue, PS3 is the go-to version for once in its life.

Chesskid1

Banned
guy who uploaded video is answering questions in comments. says you can turn cues off while being a detective for it's harder to find clues, i guess. i'm def gonna try with it off at first.

Amir0x

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
guy who uploaded video is answering questions in comments. say you can turn cues off while being a detective for it's harder to find clues, i guess.

HOLY FUCK YES! MY DREAMS ANSWERED!

L.A. Noire does love me! I knew this was going to be no stinkin' Heavy Rain abomination. They know what gamin' is about, yo.

kaskade

Amir0x said:
God I can't wait to start reading hands on impressions of the final version. I really hope the investigation has a reasonable level of freedom and requires real deduction skills. If they pull this off it'd be the dream game I've always wanted.

Hype...going too high...
It really is. I was the same way with RDR, though that delivered for me 100%.

Watching L.A. Confidential right now isn't helping either.

Amir0x said:
I am leaning PS3 too now. I'm guessing since it was lead on PS3 so long, plus the multiple disc issue, PS3 is the go-to version for once in its life.
All I need to know to confirm PS3 purchase is that graphically it doesn't look or perform any worse than 360. But nobody seems to have seen the 360 version in the wild yet.

Gary Whitta said:

yes...I'm actually thinking about canceling my 360 Amazon order and travel to the Kmart wastelands to pick it up on the PS3.

Fox Mulder

cackhyena said:
I only skipped around but I was set on waiting for a price drop, previously. That 15 minute look just sold me on it.

yeah, all the preorder bullshit kind of turned me off, but damn it looks like a nice game to play.

Amir0x said:
HOLY FUCK YES! MY DREAMS ANSWERED!

L.A. Noire does love me! I knew this was going to be no stinkin' Heavy Rain abomination. They know what gamin' is about, yo.

HA! When I read that you can turn of cues I was waiting for a reaction exactly like this from you. Its great news.....everyone wins!

MMaRsu

Amir0x said:

Hype...going too high...

This is the most important thing, it can't be too easy.

Top Bottom