• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Amir0x

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
HA! When I read that you can turn of cues I was waiting for a reaction exactly like this from you. Its great news.....everyone wins!

It's like the developer was sitting there craddling me in their loving arms, singing to me quietly a lullaby about great games gone by. I sniffle at the nightmares of having my hand held in yet another title, a world where developers assume by default that all players are retarded and must be spoon fed their advancement, and here he comes bathed by the holy light of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to take me out of that horrible dream and allow me to rise to heaven.

Skill-based gaming: Gamer Nirvana.

ummo

Banned
even with clues enabled, you have to decide between three answering tones facing suspects, and if you mess up with the answers, the case resolution will take longer to get done. facial gestures are the key, cues switching doesnt care about that.

Someone got fired in a surrounding district for letting someone get a copy of L.A. Noire today.

People cannot wait fucking four days? They lost their job over it.

Amir0x

Banned
ummo said:
even with clues enabled, you have to decide between three answering tones facing suspects, and if you mess up with the answers, the case resolution will take longer to get done. facial gestures are the key, cues switching doesnt care about that.

sorry I want to be a gamer detective. i don't want games to gently glide me to the clues and jiggle my balls for me whenever I want to rub more than three brain cells together to produce an original thought.

The quicker developers realize we don't need our hands held, the better. L.A. Noire hype just went up +100.

Screw it, I just changed my Amazon pre-order from 360 to PS3. I prefer the 360 controller and I like achievements, but I like the idea of exclusive DLC and no disc swapping even more!

ummo

Banned
with shooting schematics simplified, limited city roaming and story full focused develop, the investigation gameplay surely will be the casual/hardcore variable, giving the option to difficult our progress significantly.

Gary Whitta said:
Why not just switch your Amazon order to PS3?

because I have existing credit on my 360 order and I'd need to call Amazon to transfer the credit and it's a whole thing. If I go through the trouble, I might as well take advantage of the Kmart deal, which is technically better by giving $20 credit and a free $20 game...but it means going to Kmart.

Amir0x

Banned
ummo said:
with shooting schematics simplified, limited city roaming and story full focused develop, the investigation gameplay surely will be the casual/hardcore variable, giving the option to difficult our progress significantly.

How is the city roaming limited? From everything I've read they've completely re-created the city and you can roam anywhere you want?

Montresor

Man I am such a god damn slave to my 360 games played list. I'm not particularly enslaved to achievements, but I love building up my games played list on my 360. It's like a checklist of everything I've played this gen. I want to get this game on 360 but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the exclusive case.

Honestly, I might just buy this game twice. Play one version first and then play the other version when all the Ballad of Gay Tony style DLC comes out.

Fjordson

Amir0x said:
How is the city roaming limited? From everything I've read they've completely re-created the city and you can roam anywhere you want?
Yep. You absolutely can. Hell, there's even collectibles.

Some of you guys need to be patient. No use cancelling your 360 pre-orders just yet. I know it’s unlikely, but comparisons could turn things right around.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Amir0x said:

It's that review from The Guardian. The game still has quite a bit of free-roaming.

ummo

Banned
Amir0x said:

limited in a way that dont affect game difficult, we was discussing that cues on/off thing.

LProtag

Man, now I'm all hyped up to preorder this even though I just graduated, have no job, and little money...

Debating waiting to see if it goes down to 40 bucks somewhere or just doing the Amazon deal and getting it for (technically) 45.

Also, I'm also wondering if I'll want to turn the musical cues off. I love musical cues in films and TV, so it might feel like more of a cinematic experience with them on, but I don't want the game to be "run around listening for cues".

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Need... To... Resist... THE TEMPTATION!

Dammit, this is getting worse than the launch of Portal 2, this game's release window is making it a spoiler mine field already!

dream

I can't confirm this first hand but a friend of mine tells me his girlfriend just picked up a copy of the PS3 version at a Walmart in Toronto.

Mayyhem

Debating on whether or not to look at that 15 minute video, fuck.

dream said:
I can't confirm this first hand but a friend of mine tells me his girlfriend just picked up a copy of the PS3 version at a Walmart in Toronto.
:eek:, I live in Toronto. But there's so many Walmarts.

Teknoman

Definitely not spoiler territory, but this game seems to do melee combat better than anything Rockstar's published. The hits really seem like they hurt...of course that might be attributed to the faces and sounds.

EDIT: Yeah I dunno if I want cues or not. Of course I played through Bioshock with shiny items on, and that didnt detract from the experience.

Teknoman said:
Definitely not spoiler territory, but this game seems to do melee combat better than anything Rockstar's published. The hits really seem like they hurt...of course that might be attributed to the faces and sounds.

The Warriors, and Bully had very good hand to hand combat. Hard hitting, very meaty, and even some MMA taketowns and stuff.

ummo

Banned
the trailers narrator saying "In L.A. Noire..." like when he said "In Red Read Redemption..." reminds me how hyped i was, history repeating. pure rockstar love.

dwebo

Fjordson said:
This from some random GameFAQs poster so take it with a large grain of salt, but apparently OXM UK gave it a 10/10:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/988983-la-noire/59107303
Closing comments:
"If you were expecting L.A Noire to be a reskinned GTA then you will be left severely disappointed. Many times we hear, "Who will be gaming's Citizen Kane?". Personally, I don't have the gall to say L.A Noire is that type of game. But it is a game that will revolutionize the gaming industry as we know it. Never in my 20 year history of gaming have I encountered a game with as much finesse, intelligence, and attention to detail as L.A Noire, and for that I applaud L.A Noire. A game which has the nerve to do so much, in an industry where a seldom few are."
Sounds hyperbolic enough to be legit.

dream

It's weird. I don't know a thing about this game. The only footage of it I've seen are from the commercials. Yet this is the first video game I've been genuinely excited for in the past 2 years.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
"If you were expecting L.A Noire to be a reskinned GTA then you will be left severely disappointed. Many times we hear, "Who will be gaming's Citizen Kane?". Personally, I don't have the gall to say L.A Noire is that type of game. But it is a game that will revolutionize the gaming industry as we know it. Never in my 20 year history of gaming have I encountered a game with as much finesse, intelligence, and attention to detail as L.A Noire, and for that I applaud L.A Noire. A game which has the nerve to do so much, in an industry where a seldom few are."
If it's not a re-skinned GTA I'll be very pleased personally, so that sounds good to me. I really doubt the rest of that quote though!

ToyBroker

Banned
Guardian.co.uk gave it 5/5

Have we heard anything on length? That's the only thing I'm not on media blackout for. I wanna know how long it is.

vehn

Would you be able to buy the game at walmart for the case, then return your amazon copy when you get it?

bender

What time is it?
Lafiel said:
If it's not a re-skinned GTA I'll be very pleased personally, so that sounds good to me. I really doubt the rest of that quote though!

I have a really bad feeling about this game. It reminds me a lot of the hyperbole we heard before GTA IV was released. I hope I'm wrong.

I went by my local mom and pop store that is good at breaking street dates and they don't think they'll get the game in early. :(

Teknoman

Net_Wrecker said:
The Warriors, and Bully had very good hand to hand combat. Hard hitting, very meaty, and even some MMA taketowns and stuff.

I still need to play The Warriors. Is that BC or on Xbox demand?

Fjordson

bender said:
I have a really bad feeling about this game. It reminds me a lot of the hyperbole we heard before GTA IV was released. I hope I'm wrong.
This is why I hate these reviews that go all crazy with the praise. There are actually some of us out there who loved GTA IV (me included) but all anyone can remember is IGN saying the writing was "Oscar-worthy" or whatever.

Now it's gonna be "LOL L.A. NOIRE = CITIZEN KANE". Oh well.

ToyBroker said:

Have we heard anything on length? That's the only thing I'm not on media blackout for. I wanna know how long it is.

Reportedly 25-30 hours for the main campaign. Probably longer for 100%.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ToyBroker said:

Around 25-30 hours.

zlatko

Banned
Watched those first 15 minutes and my hype shot through the roof!

Quick and somewhat dumb question, but I wanted to get this game on PS3. With PSN down is there any reason why this game won't work to play?

Its sad that there are so few single player story driven games anymore.. This is why I am a gamer.. I love playing halo too but nothing beats laying on the couch and playing a great story, for me its better then any other form of media.

Top Bottom