• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Montresor

I didn't have a problem with the instant feedback. I always felt a "fuck yeah" moment coursing through my veins whenever I saw 4/4 pop up on the screen.

90% of the criticisms written in this thread are things I had no problems with or loved dearly.

Zeliard

Montresor said:
I didn't have a problem with the instant feedback. I always felt a "fuck yeah" moment coursing through my veins whenever I saw 4/4 pop up on the screen.

90% of the criticisms written in this thread are things I had no problems with or loved dearly.

Wouldn't you have gotten a similar feeling by just seeing the total on the results screen?

They do a cool thing with the "case notes" part of the results screen, where they tell you what you could have done better or what you screwed up, if either applies. And they give you your final results there for different categories. So why is it necessary to tell you what your progress is on literally a question-by-question basis? The only thing it does is encourage people to reload in order to get the "right answer" - except there actually is no "right" answer because it just means you have to take a different path. You may be missing funner bits of dialogue or characters by being 100% correct all the time.

They not only tell you you got 4/4 or whatever at the end of each individual interrogation, but after each question. You know if you judged an answer right or wrong because Phelps will write an X or checkmark next to it after each question you ask.

It just takes you out of it and I think it's partly what can make the interrogation scenes feel repetitive.

Since you're already judging whether or not a person is telling the truth by doing things like looking at their facial expressions and gauging their general personality, you should also be doing exactly that to know if they're bullshitting you or not after you've responded to their original answer. Instead the game itself just gives that to you. You would also naturally know how you did or if that person was worth interviewing based on how many leads or clues, if any, you were able to get from them. If you come away from an interrogation empty-handed and with the person pissed off at you, then you know you probably weren't very effective, so why tell you explicitly?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Chanser said:
Finally got all the cars, just the film reels and landmarks left to go.
The reels and landmarks are easy if you turn to guides. The cars however...not sure where I'll ever find those last 20 cars.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Montresor said:

Seems I might like the game fully as I previously thought.

My gaming tastes can greatly adapt.

Lesath

jgminto said:
The only good characters of this game are Cole's partners, Captain Donnolly and Jack Kelso. Cole has absolutely no motives and his wife was barely a character.
Spoiler Warning

I disagree; from the start it is fairly obvious Cole is not only very idealistic, but also driven to climb up the ranks and gain recognition, both in the war and in LA. I suspect his decision to work as an officer was to atone for the mistake he made in Japan, which failed to really alter his perspective. He became a poster boy for the LAPD, but this worked against him when his own hypocritical vice made the news. After the humbling experience, wherein he loses both his family and the respect of his peers, Cole was pretty much tossed aside for Kelso after the critical moment of character development, which really annoyed me.

It baffles me that people like Jack Kelso. He is a cardboard cutout, with zero personality quirks and little background; there's nothing you can really say about him except "he's a good guy. I like him more than Phelps so he is the better character."

Chanser

mattiewheels said:
The reels and landmarks are easy if you turn to guides. The cars however...not sure where I'll ever find those last 20 cars.

I keep getting this feeling that the game will give you the cars or it's entirely by luck they appear near you.

There's a few vehicles like the Polar Bear truck, which only exists at a specific location.

jett

D-Member
I have exhausted all the street crimes in the "free roam" options in all the desks, but I only have 37/40 street crimes. ???

jgminto

Lesath said:
Spoiler Warning

I disagree; from the start it is fairly obvious Cole is not only very idealistic, but also driven to climb up the ranks and gain recognition, both in the war and in LA. I suspect his decision to work as an officer was to atone for the mistake he made in Japan, which failed to really alter his perspective. He became a poster boy for the LAPD, but this worked against him when his own hypocritical vice made the news. After the humbling experience, wherein he loses both his family and the respect of his peers, Cole was pretty much tossed aside for Kelso after the critical moment of character development, which really annoyed me.

It baffles me that people like Jack Kelso. He is a cardboard cutout, with zero personality quirks and little background; there's nothing you can really say about him except "he's a good guy. I like him more than Phelps so he is the better character."
Well that is what Team Bondi was planning but the execution was way off.

seat

jett said:
I have exhausted all the street crimes in the "free roam" options in all the desks, but I only have 37/40 street crimes. ???
I believe some street crimes may only be available at specific desks in the "cases" option from the main menu. Go into the "free roam" option for each desk (Homicide, Vice, etc.) to see what's left.

Chanser

jett said:

Got all street crimes, maybe the last few are available by radio only?

Montresor said:

Agreed. There's a lot to like here. Yes, there are shortcomings. To me, the incredibly detailed world and game structure overshadow the problems. Personally I like that this game is trying something new - to add a little wrinkle to the Rockstar formula in the form of the interrogations and crime scene search sequences. I think they did a fine job. I would've loved to have multiple quest lines going at once, filling up bars and grabbing loot. But I think this is just a first stab at something pretty unique, and from here, we'll just get better sequels (I'm an optimist).

jett

D-Member
seat said:
I believe some street crimes may only be available at specific desks in the "cases" option from the main menu. Go into the "free roam" option for each desk (Homicide, Vice, etc.) to see what's left.

That's what I did...ah well, meh.

jett said:
It will tell you "you have completed all street crimes on this desk" in top left corner.

There's one for I think homicide that's only available for a half-hour in game time at night.
Some are at more tricky hours of the day.

If shit isn't showing up, swap disks and swap back.

Also Vice and Arson have separate street crimes although all content is one same disk.

wilflare

Jack Kelso was a good character.
He would have made a perfect partner for Cole.
Cole had irritants for most of his partners.
The only decent ones were Ralph, Stefan and Biggs..

I was hoping the case on Floyd will develop though.
The one at the end of the Patrol Desk or something...

Fjordson

Montresor said:

Ditto. I wish more people here had enjoyed it, but oh well.

I just hope we get those two desks Bondi has mentioned (Robbery and Bunco?) as DLC.

before i got to vice i recommended the game to several people. after finishing i don't know if that was a good idea.

the last few cases were good but the story was so poorly handled and *end game spoilers*
cole such an unlikeable douchebag that i was rooting for him to die and was pleased when he did.

there's one thing i'm sure of and that's how badly a first person view was needed.

Incendiary said:
I've found one film reel so far, it was
at the air field in a hangar and the only reason I found it was I was cruising by and looked around, hoping I could fly a plane.
No dice.

Originally you could.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Can anyone help? I don't know whether I'm missing something or I've just uncovered a glitch that I don't think I'll be able to get around...

I'm on the Fallen Idol case and have got to the part where I've just left the prop store having interrogated Mark Bishop's associate (you have a gun fight / chase fight afterwards) Now I'm being prompted to Use the Notebook to assign a location (either investigate movie set or locate Mark Bishop), but when I go into Case Objectives I get these two possible places but it won't let me place the cursor over and select either (they're not striked through, so they're active). My pencil simply stays at the bottom right corner of the open page Despite me trying to press up...

Am I missing something? I've played the part over 3 times and always the same. :-(

pakkit

Banned
Lesath said:
Last Act Spoilers:

He's the foil to Cole. The antihero that knows to get the job done you need to get your hands dirty from time to time. Too often Cole will denounce others for their personal actions, while not offering up a viable alternative. Kelso both takes the higher ground morally, but also in his actions. He understands that Cole is using him for personal motives (both so that Cole can win over Elsa's affections by getting back at those who were responsible for her best friends death, and so that he can seek revenge on those that took him out of the police force), but Jack still moves forward.

Plus, he's pretty badass. It's nice to see a game character talk big without being 300 pounds of steely muscle.

jett said:
Some cases are only available at certain times. Unless the game prompts you that the desk is completed in free roam, you're not done. If you just quit out and resume free roam, the game will restart you at a time when a fresh street case is starting.

My 18th platinum and it was a piece of piss; especially compared to something like Red Dead Redemption. Now I wait for the Store to get back online so I can grab myself more L.A. Noire goodness.

Plasmid said:
Good luck to anyone trying to get cars, took me over 6 hours to find 15 cars.

I can attest, finding the Cadillac 61 took me 2 hours even with tips. After finding it of course the motherfucker spawns practically everywhere, trolling me right in my face. I guess it was one of the car models loaded into the system memory just like in GTA 4.

This nitpick aside, I REALLY REALLY applaud Rockstar for their Social Club integration. More single-player games should do this, especially if you have a collectathon ( I'm looking at you Infamous 2 ;-) ). Even better would be to have it in game but it's still good. I loved using it to platinum LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption.

It's also cool to compare your stats with other people and your friends. When I last checked the Fallen Idol was the hardest case for most (on PS3).

Montresor

Acquiescence said:
My 18th platinum and it was a piece of piss; especially compared to something like Red Dead Redemption. Now I wait for the Store to get back online so I can grab myself more L.A. Noire goodness.

Congrats man. I've also completed LA Noire on 360! Is there a list on PSN/PS3/XMB/whatever that tells you how many games you've platinumed? 360 has a 100% achievement list but LA Noire isn't up there for me because for whatever reason the Slip Of The Tongue DLC which I have not downloaded is in my LA Noire achievement list. So I'm stuck at 1100/1200 instead of 1100/1100. LA Noire is not in my aforementioned "completed" list, even though it should be, and I would like to know if it's in your PS3 completed list, if one exists.

Montresor said:
Congrats man. I've also completed LA Noire on 360! Is there a list on PSN/PS3/XMB/whatever that tells you how many games you've platinumed? 360 has a 100% achievement list but LA Noire isn't up there for me because for whatever reason the Slip Of The Tongue DLC which I have not downloaded is in my LA Noire achievement list. So I'm stuck at 1100/1200 instead of 1100/1100. LA Noire is not in my aforementioned "completed" list, even though it should be, and I would like to know if it's in your PS3 completed list, if one exists.

It tells you that you've "1000/1000"a game (platinumed it) by putting a Platinum icon before the percentage list in your XMB trophy list. The percentage represents the total amount of trophies for the game including the DLC-components, i.e. the extra Cases, which are also individually percentaged when opening the trophy folder for said game.

Since I haven't dl'd the DLC cases yet b/c I'm on PS3, the game has a plat icon and a percentage of 70-80% or something because I haven't got the DLCs yet. So yeah the PS3 tracks your 'completed' retail-list by counting your Plats, no such thing for most PSN games except for some who do have a Platinum trophy, such as Trine. In that case percentage stats shoud suffice

How did you guys solve that "Golden Butterfly"-case?

I found all clues, except for one.
I got the husband and that pedophile, yet I couldn't solve the case and now have to patrol. :/

What did I do wrong?

daviyoung

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
I found all clues, except for one.
I got the husband and that pedophile, yet I couldn't solve the case and now have to patrol. :/

What does that mean? You got 1 star? Me too on the first go, haven't got round to replaying though.

daviyoung said:
What does that mean? You got 1 star? Me too on the first go, haven't got round to replaying though.

I had the option to accuse the husband of murder or to leave the room. I've chosen to accuse him. Seemed to be wrong.

Montresor

Patrick Bateman said:
I had the option to accuse the husband of murder or to leave the room. I've chosen to accuse him. Seemed to be wrong.

This is one thing I think the game did poorly, and that's just for that particular mission, but apparently you 100% accused the wrong person - the game just doesn't tell you why. So you're demoted to the beat. From what I read that mission is literally impossible to 5-star if you accuse that guy.

BTW, you don't actually have to patrol the streets. =D You get to do the next homicide case right away.

Patrick Bateman, absolutely do not highlight the next spoiler! Do not! Anyway, I'm not very bothered by the way the game handled The Golden Butterfly because (end of Homicide Desk spoilers)
at the end, neither of these two men did the crime. If you put the husband in jail, a clerical error will get him scott free in the end. If you put the kiddie rapist in jail, well hell, doesn't matter if he did it or not, which he didn't, but he's staying in jail because he's a kiddie rapist

daviyoung

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:

Yeh, these are the parts where the game starts to come apart unfortunately.

Atomski

How come I can enjoy a game like Ace Attorney yet I find this game to be a complete chore? Not sure I will ever complete it..

tiff

Banned
Montresor said:
Patrick Bateman, absolutely do not highlight the next spoiler! Do not! Anyway, I'm not very bothered by the way the game handled The Golden Butterfly because (end of Homicide Desk spoilers)
at the end, neither of these two men did the crime. If you put the husband in jail, a clerical error will get him scott free in the end. If you put the kiddie rapist in jail, well hell, doesn't matter if he did it or not, which he didn't, but he's staying in jail because he's a kiddie rapist
Wait, they really explain it like that if you charge the pedophile? Christ.

Montresor

tiff said:
Wait, they really explain it like that if you charge the pedophile? Christ.

No they don't. But it's an educated guess at would happen after the events of the final homicide case. Have you played the final homicide case?

tiff

Banned
Montresor said:
No they don't. But it's an educated guess at would happen after the events of the final homicide case. Have you played the final homicide case?
Yeah but I charged the other guy.

Looking back on this game after completing it last week I've decided that it's deeply flawed in some important ways but great fun and totally absorbing nonetheless. I am hopeful that Team Bondi will take the lessons learned from this first game and apply them to creating some even better DLC and sequels.

Gary Whitta said:
Looking back on this game after completing it last week I've decided that it's deeply flawed in some important ways but great fun and totally absorbing nonetheless. I am hopeful that Team Bondi will take the lessons learned from this first game and apply them to creating some even better DLC and sequels.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Its a must-play game, IMO.

jgminto said:
Cole has absolutely no motives and his wife was barely a character.

I just finished the game, 21 hours on the clock, all sidemissions done as well.

And yeah the wife could have been a more important character, felt like a wasted opportunity for some good drama :D

I understand it's contextual but one thing I really missed that I always enjoy doing in other Rockstar games is the inevitable bit where you just decide to start murdering people and seeing how much chaos you can create until you get killed. Maybe that's why I perversely enjoy the Saints Row games so much, they actually made levels based on that!

After playing LA NOIRE a lot what I'd really now like to see is a hybrid style in GTA 5 where you play a cop and you could decide to be as honest or as crooked as you wanted to be. Play it straight down the line as a Phelps-type character or beat suspects, plant evidence and outright commit crimes like Vic Mackey. Best of both worlds!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've got the Consul's Car and Slip of the Tongue sitting here, unused and taunting me. For what, almost two weeks? The PSN Store would be really nice right about now!

Really my biggest problem with the game was a narrative issue. I didn't mind them
killing Phelps but putting me in the shoes of a new character who's only been on the very periphery of the action up until then and suddenly asking me to care about him was a big storytelling mistake, IMO. I cared a lot less about what was happening after that, but that may have been compounded by the fact that the whole insurance scam plot felt inconsequential and boring.

I know Team Bondi have a massive boner for their motion capture but that's no excuse for unskippable cutscenes. I accidentally blew myself up trying for this $47,000 damages trophy (which I think counts as this game's patented 'obnoxious achievement/ trophy in a Rockstar game') and now have to watch the whole opening case cutscene.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I know Team Bondi have a massive boner for their motion capture but that's no excuse for unskippable cutscenes. I accidentally blew myself up trying for this $47,000 damages trophy (which I think counts as this game's patented 'obnoxious achievement/ trophy in a Rockstar game') and now have to watch the whole opening case cutscene.
That one is terrible. Took me idk 45 minutes...

What ones did you think were bad in RDR?

Red Dead Redemption - complete 20 missions with the same horse, exactly the same horse, if it dies in a random cougar attack you're fucked.

GTAIV - finish the story in 30 hours or 'how to make your needy attention seeking acquaitances even more annoying.

I guess the $47000 damages isn't as bad because at least it isn't missable, the other two you could get to the end of a 30+ hour game and realise you'd missed it.

On the plus side, after this I've only got 3 more cars to find and 2 more cases to 5 star and then I can wait for some DLC.

Speaking of which, are the pre-order cases going to be released for everybody at some point (paid presumably)?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gary Whitta said:

I doubt it,I don't see any major improvements over the team first game (The Getaway), I guess McNamara is lost cause just like David Cage, they both focus on non important thing in their "games" and leave the actual gameplay in the mud, The Getaway was horrible, L.A Noire was awful and both games share so many problems.

The horse one didn't bother me in RDR but basically the entire list in GTA IV is tedious as hell.

Got 1000/1000 anyway....

The shame. -_-

FStop7

Banned
I admit that I'm still early in the game. I'm on my third case as a detective, in the traffic division. But so far I'm absolutely loving it. The facial expressions are the best I've ever seen in a game. They're not always great, sometimes they land smack in the middle of the uncanny valley. But when they're on, they're amazing.

One of my favorite games is Westwood's Blade Runner, so this could be why LA Noire resonates so strongly with me. Maybe after 15+ hours I'll feel different.

Top Bottom