• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Plasmid

I am so tempted to watch these videos popping up, but i'm not, the only thing i've seen are achievements but i hid the story ones, i am going almost 100% blackout on the story.

Plasmid said:
I am so tempted to watch these videos popping up, but i'm not, the only thing i've seen are achievements but i hid the story ones, i am going almost 100% blackout on the story.

I skipped around the video and watched maybe a minute of two of the entire thing and all it did was make my hype meter explode...

bender

What time is it?
Fjordson said:
This is why I hate these reviews that go all crazy with the praise. There are actually some of us out there who loved GTA IV (me included) but all anyone can remember is IGN saying the writing was "Oscar-worthy" or whatever.

Now it's gonna be "LOL L.A. NOIRE = CITIZEN KANE". Oh well.

I certainly don't think GTA IV was a bad game but it didn't resonate with me like previous entries in the series. I think that was mostly due to the cast of characters and how uneven the tone of the game was. The only character I liked was Playboy X and most people I've run into online hate him so I guess I'm just on a different wavelength. My hype for GTA IV was driven by it having the GTA name. The famous "Oscar-Worthy" quote just re-enforced that hype. I can appreciate loving the game as the city is lovingly detailed. It just wasn't for me.

And my fears about L.A. Noire are more gut feelings than anything else. The setting is right up my alley and I really don't know much else about the game as I've stayed away from every video/preview since it was revealed. I'll be extremely happy to be wrong. I'm hoping for L.A. Confidential the video game.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
Watched those first 15 minutes and my hype shot through the roof!

Quick and somewhat dumb question, but I wanted to get this game on PS3. With PSN down is there any reason why this game won't work to play?

Quick bump so I know before investing money in case there's something I don't know that would make the PS3 version not work.

zlatko said:
Quick bump so I know before investing money in case there's something I don't know that would make the PS3 version not work.

the only thing you would miss out on would be the DLC case that comes with the PS3 version.

correct?

and updates are still working as well I believe

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
zlatko said:
It will work, but you won't be able to get the exclusive PS3 case until PSN is back up.

edit: beaten!

Chesskid1

Banned
zlatko said:

only thing you wont be able to do is redeem code for extra case, otherwise game on! latest firmware update will be on the disc as well.

edit: beaten!

Fjordson

bender said:
I certainly don't think GTA IV was a bad game but it didn't resonate with me like previous entries in the series. I think that was mostly due to the cast of characters and how uneven the tone of the game was. The only character I liked was Playboy X and most people I've run into online hate him so I guess I'm just on a different wavelength. My hype for GTA IV was driven by it having the GTA name. The famous "Oscar-Worthy" quote just re-enforced that hype. I can appreciate loving the game as the city is lovingly detailed. It just wasn't for me.

And my fears about L.A. Noire are more gut feelings than anything else. The setting is right up my alley and I really don't know much else about the game as I've stayed away from every video/preview since it was revealed. I'll be extremely happy to be wrong. I'm hoping for L.A. Confidential the video game.
Naw that's cool, and I didn't mean to direct my comment at you. I just think some reviewers need to take some deep breaths and go back over their review one more time in some cases.

Montresor

zlatko said:

The unboxing video that was linked a couple of pages ago (and subsequently taken down by the Rockstar hammer) showed only an instruction manual and download card for the exclusive DLC. If some on-disc content was gonna get locked out via download code (to combat used game sales, SORTA like how Gears 2 did with the day one Flashback maps), there probably would've been a code inside the game box.

So you should be good. You just won't be able to download the exclusive DLC, but you should be able to play the main game fine.

bender

What time is it?
Fjordson said:
Naw that's cool, and I didn't mean to direct my comment at you. I just think some reviewers need to take some deep breaths and go back over their review one more time in some cases.

I didn't think you were. :)

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Wow the impressions that are rolling in sound incredible.

Hype rising.

Next week can't come faster. I want to just sleep all weekend just to make next week come faster. This and Witcher 2, two almost experimentally "new" games in one week. Will be one of the best weeks in gaming ever.

Kintaco

HYPE!! This game just begs for tons of DLC!!! Come on Rockstar do it, you know you want to! So many good deals on this game too, damn it's so hard to decide! Amazon, Best Buy or Kmart!?

M.W.

Gary Whitta said:
Got to bust out my LA CONFIDENTIAL Blu-ray to really get me in the mood for this.

I'm actually picking it up on BR this weekend. Great movie, can't wait for Noire.

M.W.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Anyone know if this has a full day/night cycle like Red Dead Redemption, or is it more like inFamous?

I know someone who's playing it and as far as he can tell, the time is tied to the cases. He also noted he hasn't done much free roaming so he's not 100% sure.

I just realized this will be the first multi-format game that I've ever bought the PS3 version over 360. It feels weird!

Are there any third-party PS3 controllers out there that are set up more like the 360 one?

Marcellus Wallace said:
I know someone who's playing it and as far as he can tell, the time is tied to the cases. He also noted he hasn't done much free roaming so he's not 100% sure.

Bleh, that would suck if true. Maybe since he hasn't really strayed off the path yet, he just hasn't noticed cause it's a longer cycle like GTAIV/RDR.

Gary Whitta said:
I just realized this will be the first multi-format game that I've ever bought the PS3 version over 360. It feels weird!

Are there any third-party PS3 controllers out there that are set up more like the 360 one?
Well, this game was going to be published by SCE.

duckroll

Net_Wrecker said:
Bleh, that would suck if true. Maybe since he hasn't really strayed off the path yet, he just hasn't noticed cause it's a longer cycle like GTAIV/RDR.

Expecting LA Noire to be like GTA is the first step to disappointment.

duckroll said:
Expecting LA Noire to be like GTA is the first step to disappointment.

I fully understand that this is going to be nothing like those games, and I don't expect it to, but I'm just talking about the day/night cycle. One of my biggest pet peeves is an open world game without a good day/night cycle, and the ones that only advance by mission don't fall in the "good" category.

I'll get over it in any case as I still love Infamous, but just sayin'.

duckroll

Net_Wrecker said:
I fully understand that this is going to be nothing like those games, and I don't expect it to, but I'm just talking about the day/night cycle. One of my biggest pet peeves is an open world game without a good day/night cycle, and the ones that only advance by mission don't fall in that category.

I'll get over it in any case as I still love Infamous, but still.

Well, I think it remains to be seen how "open world" LA Noire really is. Being able to explore a city does not automatically make an open world game imo. I'm just thinking of it as an adventure game for now. If there's more than that in the actual game, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Rockstar has the best fucking packaging ever. I love them, we got our copies in and the covers are gorgeous with the lifted font in shiny foil. The Gamestop DLC is packed in the game btw for those thinking they were going to snag a code.

Kintaco

Gary Whitta said:
All you people watching that 15-minute video are NUTS.
Totally! I clicked the link and turned it off after about 3 seconds. No point in ruining anything this close to release.

duckroll said:
Well, I think it remains to be seen how "open world" LA Noire really is. Being able to explore a city does not automatically make an open world game imo. I'm just thinking of it as an adventure game for now. If there's more than that in the actual game, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well "Open World" to me means exactly that, it's a game in an open world where you can stray off the path and go explore in a hub or a fully modeled city/state/country. How many different activities you can do then classifies it as a "SANDBOX" game or not. This might not be a sandbox game, but it's definitely open world.

And there are stuff like the 40 "sub-cases," finding all the cars, finding the police badges, buying suits, and who knows what else, so it's more than just a linear story with a big city. Like I said before, it seems like a day/night cycle very much fits in this game, and i would be disappointed if it advanced on a case to case basis.

Just found out you can turn off the clues. PERFECT.

Got my order in for the 360 version, ready for it to be here already!

No way in hell I am ruining the first 15 minutes for myself :p I'm outta this thread til it gets here!

Plasmid

SPACECADET said:
the 15 min gameplay really didn't spoil any of what the game will bring i'm sure. it was actually really tame.

Man it's a gateway vid, first you see a 15 minute vid, then an entire case, no big deal right? Then you find out the murderer is Kim jong il!

and boom, youre addicted to crack cocaine.

Chesskid1

Banned
i watched the 15 min video but only skimmed it, i just wanted to see how everything ingame worked and i really liked what i saw. didn't look too spoilery.

just one question, do you have to tap x to run? not sure if you could tell form the video, though.

Square Triangle said:
Rockstar has the best fucking packaging ever. I love them, we got our copies in and the covers are gorgeous with the lifted font in shiny foil. The Gamestop DLC is packed in the game btw for those thinking they were going to snag a code.

Canadian version will have useless (for me) French on it and no nice font I bet.

I hope this is not the case. See what I did there!?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
vidal said:
Saw the 15 minutes.

Ralph got knocked OUT.

Spoilers, I guess.

The brawling looks ridiculous and out of place. If a suspect is belligerent, I would think that a cop would want to quickly and efficiently subdue and cuff him, not get into a protracted fistfight with him.

amorbis

Gary Whitta said:
All you people watching that 15-minute video are NUTS.

I agree. I skipped to a driving part and closed the tab. That was even too much. I'll just wait patiently for Tuesday.

duckroll

Net_Wrecker said:
Well "Open World" to me means exactly that, it's a game in an open world where you can stray off the path and go explore in a hub or a fully modeled city/state/country. How many different activities you can do then classifies it as a "SANDBOX" game or not. This might not be a sandbox game, but it's definitely open world.

And there are stuff like the 40 "sub-cases," finding all the cars, finding the police badges, buying suits, and who knows what else, so it's more than just a linear story with a big city. Like I said before, it seems like a day/night cycle very much fits in this game, and i would be disappointed if it advanced on a case to case basis.

Yeah that seems like a fair definition. I agree though, a full day/night cycle would be nice, regardless of genre honestly. Even fighting games could use a day/night cycle for fight rounds. Every single game could be improved with a day/night cycle and random weather elements. Variety in settings is good!

duckroll said:
Yeah that seems like a fair definition. I agree though, a full day/night cycle would be nice, regardless of genre honestly. Even fighting games could use a day/night cycle for fight rounds. Every single game could be improved with a day/night cycle and random weather elements. Variety in settings is good!

I'm so far past just wanting day/night cycles. I know RAM is an issue this gen, but next gen I FULLY expect real time seasonal cycles in open world games, specifically GTA. Playing it on release, then coming back to it 3/6/9 months later, or anywhere in between could provide some GREAT visual variety. the seasons/holidays in Bully for example MADE the atmosphere of that game.

amorbis

JetBlackPanda said:
Why am I so torn on what version to get? Gah!

Ps3 version can't be worse graphic wise can it?

No, that's highly unlikely, considering the game was in development for like 6 years for the PlayStation 3 exclusively. I'm assuming they ported it to the 360 intelligently though.

Top Bottom