• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

megalowho

The Lamp said:
Yeah, and I was also wondering about
lol at the end the assistant DA was asked to sell out for his information by that cop outside the sewer tunnel in the last level. I guess that...didn't happen?
Nah, it happened - that was Police Chief Worrell, he got the Assistant D.A. his promotion while saving his ass and Roy's, even though they were part of the Suburban Redevelopment Fund. At least that was my interpretation of the ending.

Zeliard

pakkit said:
I loved L.A. Noire, but I do think this (spoilery) review highlights a lot of what L.A. Noire didn't do right, which, essentially is being a detective game.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/reviews/review-l-noire

Haha, I enjoyed his 'theory' about Cole. It actually gives the dead open world and its denizens some reasoning to exist and function in the way they do.

I agree with that review; the game tries so hard to be grounded but does too much to make its artifices stick out.

And LA Noire has some serious pacing and storytelling issues. I think there was a lot of missed potential, but hopefully now that they don't have to worry about the tech side of things as much, they can concentrate more on other aspects. A great, ambitious first effort by the Bondi guys, but one with many issues.

BeeDog

Square Triangle said:
Anyone have any tips on The Moose trophy, the killed with every gun trophy and the car collecting?

Only two holding me back from a platinum.

For the "all weapons" trophy, there are two trickier weapons you have to use:

1) During the early bank robbery mission (when you're still a beat cop) you have to drop the shotgun you automatically start with and use the standard-issue revolver.

2) During the endgame, you have to kill at least one enemy with the flamethrower (lol) you can pick up in one of the rooms.

For the Moose trophy, you simply hang back as much as possible and try to cut through backyards and open areas, staying far away from her. Do not press X or R2 during the entire mission, and if you're caught, you have to exit back to the main menu and resume from the save file to make sure you can unlock the trophy.

netguy503

BeeDog said:
For the Moose trophy, you simply hang back as much as possible and try to cut through backyards and open areas, staying far away from her. Do not press X or R2 during the entire mission, and if you're caught, you have to exit back to the main menu and resume from the save file to make sure you can unlock the trophy.

Can you get this trophy after you've beaten the main game or are you screwed by that point?

BeeDog

netguy503 said:
Can you get this trophy after you've beaten the main game or are you screwed by that point?

You can always replay missions from the Cases menu, so shouldn't be a problem.

Tiktaalik

So in the Gold Butterfly case it looks like I botched the last question on
hugo
and now it seems like there's nothing I can do except charge the other suspect. Is that what I have to do or am I missing something?

Edit: Went ahead and charged the other suspect and got "distinguished" even though I feel like I had no evidence against the guy. WTF is up with this case.

Edit2: Given the start of the next case I suspect I was supposed to be dissatisfied with my performance...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
BeeDog said:
Can you not even stand behind stuff to get this, even if you don't use the cover function? I was really quite baffled about why I didn't unlock this the first time around.

fernoca

Dan said:
Can you not even stand behind stuff to get this, even if you don't use the cover function? I was really quite baffled about why I didn't unlock this the first time around.
Yeah you can. I got it on my first playthrough by just running around, standing behind walls/trees and running on the opposite side of the street, but always aiming at her. :p

What you can't do is use cover and/or sit down to read the newspaper (aside the beginning when it's mandatory).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
fernoca said:
Yeah you can. I got it on my first playthrough by just running around, standing behind walls/trees and running on the opposite side of the street, but always aiming at her. :p

What you can't do is use cover and/or sit down to read the newspaper (aside the beginning when it's mandatory).
Weird. Pretty damned sure that's what I did.

Made it up to Vice desk now. I don't know. The game isn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to play it more than an hour at a time. Once the initial wow factor is over, it's just so dull for most of the part. I don't even bother driving around the city any more because it's just a big waste of time. Does the game start to pick up when you get to Vice?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
samus4ever said:
Made it up to Vice desk now. I don't know. The game isn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to play it more than an hour at a time. Once the initial wow factor, it's just so dull for most of the part. I don't even bother driving around the city any more because it's just a big waste of time. Does the game start to pick up when you get to Vice?

I'm towards the end of Homicide, and it still follows the same pattern. Investigate a scene, interrogate people, repeat both of those steps in new areas with a few chases mixed in.

I agree with the driving thing, I always make my partner drive when I can. I like the color palette of the city, but it's so empty and plain. I personally see no reason to do the driving myself, unless I wanted to stretch out the length of the game. I mean, you can't even run over people, so whats the point.

fernoca

samus4ever said:
Made it up to Vice desk now. I don't know. The game isn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to play it more than an hour at a time. Once the initial wow factor, it's just so dull for most of the part. I don't even bother driving around the city any more because it's just a big waste of time. Does the game start to pick up when you get to Vice?
Some say yes, some never..in my case, it never slowed-down was; and still a blast.

In the end, play it on your terms and at your own pace. Don't force yourself to like it or even finish it; if there's a time when you're not enjoying it at all.

Snuggler said:
I'm towards the end of Homicide, and it still follows the same pattern. Investigate a scene, interrogate people, repeat both of those steps in new areas with a few chases mixed in.

I agree with the driving thing, I always make my partner drive when I can. I like the color palette of the city, but it's so empty and plain. I personally see no reason to do the driving myself, unless I wanted to stretch out the length of the game. I mean, you can't even run over people, so whats the point.
Well, you're in for a few surprises (gameplay -wise)...;) ...and you can run over people...heck there's an achievement for breaking havoc all over the city, and running people counts towards injuries.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fernoca said:
Some say yes, some never..in my case, it never slowed-down was; and still a blast.

It just depends on how willing your are to put up with doing the same routine again and again. I would say that I like the game so far, but I'm definitely starting to feel the fatigue, and it doesn't help that I'm clearly chasing loose ends that will be solved later in the game.

Snuggler said:

One aspect of the driving I didn't understand was what's the point of having the siren? No one gets out of the way! You just end up crashing into people when you are in a chase or trying to get to a side mission call and all the damage makes your case ranking go down.

fernoca

samus4ever said:
One aspect of the driving I didn't understand was what's the point of having the siren? No one gets out of the way! You just end up crashing into people when you are in a chase or trying to get to a side mission call and all the damage makes your case ranking go down.
The siren does makes (most of) the cars to get out of the way and also people to run away. Though there were a few cases were the cars always changed to your lane.. :p ....

EDIT:
Yep, that:
| | | |
VVVV :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
samus4ever said:

The cars only move to the right lane, so stay in the left. There's still some shitty drivers that just stop in the middle of an intersection though, if you really don't want to get any penalties just have your partner drive because the civilians are horrendous.

Papercuts said:
The cars only move to the right lane, so stay in the left. There's still some shitty drivers that just stop in the middle of an intersection though, if you really don't want to get any penalties just have your partner drive because the civilians are horrendous.

Probably a good representation of 1940's driving capabilities of most people :D

PigSpeakers said:
I love the log. One of the best features in the game. I wish more games had it for people like me who are easily distracted.

It certainly proved itself essential in some of my interrogations.

daviyoung

Banned
Papercuts said:

For what seems like really simple AI they do some really stupid things. The stopping in the middle of an intersection is ridiculous, like they do it on purpose. The other one is oncoming cars waiting, waiting, waiting, then turning into your path just as you get near them.

The siren helps a little.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:

The only real reason to drive around is to hit the Street Crimes, but those are just crappy condensed gameplay segments, and LA Noire's gunplay and driving are hardly stand-outs.

The city does look nice and some environments are packed with cool incidental details appropriate to the period, but it's all on the surface.

It's like the Kill Screen review said - with a city so dead, mostly due to the player as Cole having such limited interactivity with it and the citizens, it feels more like a pretty ghost town.

Kill Screen said:
Soon I had run more than a mile, down alleyways and across parking lots, past cars and buses and trains, through side streets and straight up Hollywood Boulevard. Cars always stopped just short of striking me; police officers made no note of my passing. I could not draw my gun, I could not use the phone, I could not even speak. I could only run.

I ran up to a steep ledge but found that I could not jump off. Nothing could harm me, no one would fight me; it was as if I wasn’t here at all. The hard edges and shiny metal of postwar Los Angeles were as false as the city's ubiquitous movie sets.

Omg, is GAF done with L.A. Noire already? Never really seen a new release thread get all quiet.

I only need 8 cars damn it!

Ford V8 Sedan
Mercury Custom
Lincoln Model K Convertible Roadster
Buick Ambulance (I have NEVER seen this drive around)
International Police Wagon
International KB8 (I guess there are two version of this truck?)

What reason is there to even continue? I lost interest in this game days ago when I realized how shallow and contrived it all was.

Bummer, I know. I tried my best to enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
What reason is there to even continue? I lost interest in this game days ago when I realized how shallow and contrived it all was.

I think we were all expecting too much out of it, and eventually we saw that it was just too good to be true. Hopefully if there's a next game, Team Bondi and Rockstar can fix and improve the formula of the game.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Oh I completely agree, and my previous posts in this thread back up the same shit you're saying too. It's just I'm OCD with collecting items in games. lol.

I started playing the game a few days ago. I'm on Homicide right now. Really enjoying it. I haven't seen anything yet with the interrogations where I thought Cole was being an out of character dick. His character is a dick. I mean when you use doubt Cole is trying to get the characters to admit they are concealing information, it would be out of character if he wasn't aggressive about it as I'm not sure how he's going to get them to admit anything otherwise. But I did suggest earlier in this thread that in a sequel they should have a passive doubt and aggressive doubt option. Still seems like a good idea, and I always like more options.

I'm terribly inconsistent with my interrogations too. I either do great or poorly. I can definitely see myself playing at least some of the cases again if just to see the different dialogue during the interrogations.

I do like the LA of 47, too. It's pretty neat driving around and seeing landmarks. I'm definitely glad they have it in the game and subsequently happy that a lot of you aren't programmers over there at Rockstar/Team Bondi.

And I actually like the street crimes. I thought it was smart to make them small short diversions. I do sometimes have my partner drive, though, when I just want to get the game moving. I do like that the on foot chases are very smooth about and ladders and such. It's sort of like being on a ride, especially with the pre-programmed obstacles that get in your way.

A lot of people say the story shits the bed, so I'm just trying to enjoy it for the investigation and interrogation, but so far so good.

dwebo

Square Triangle said:
Omg, is GAF done with L.A. Noire already? Never really seen a new release thread get all quiet.

Ford V8 Sedan
Mercury Custom
I used this to get the last few cars I was missing. The buick ambulance only drives around the good samaritan hospital landmark. When I found it, there were two parked around the building.

fernoca

Square Triangle said:

Ford V8 Sedan
Mercury Custom
Hell no, my favorite game this year...at the moment.
I just finished A Slip of the Tongue..dumb "thing"..and darn, missed one achievement for that case, will need to look around for tips to get it! :p

Going to look for the remaining 9 cars during the rest of this days (and badges, etc.)...just that I don't want to drag the thread around around too much by posting my overly-positive impressions of the game. XD

I also got Black Ops with all the DLC and FFXIII for really cheap; to play LA Noire less...so I'm alternating games. :p

EDIT:
And got it now!
Was "Nowhere in a Hurry"..I did the exact same thing earlier though he took a slightly different route originally, so maybe that influenced not getting the achievement the first time. :p

EDIT: Added "thing" instead of the gender of a dumb character... :p

Still playing, got about 3 or 4 more cases to go. Just finished the 2nd Arson case.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the game a ton. I've put around 22 hours into it and I think I have 4 more side missions to complete.

I really am enjoying the story (despite the complaints). Very interested to see how it all wraps up.

When all is said and done, the game has been a blast. Not sure if/when I'll replay it, but it was a great ride for me.

fernoca

Square Triangle said:
Dude. Spoiler. Tag.
There's no spoiler in what I said I said..the "dumb thing" is not a direct spoiler... :p

Wait..the sex/gender of the person was the spoiler? it's very minor character that I found funny...will remove the "gender of the dumb person" of it just in case.... it wasn't a spoiler. XD

Acquiescence said:
It certainly proved itself essential in some of my interrogations.
One small nitpick, but I would have preferred if the log was actually in your little book instead of having to press start. I didn't even know it was there until I was pretty far into the game.

Zeliard

VistraNorrez said:
I do like the LA of 47, too. It's pretty neat driving around and seeing landmarks. I'm definitely glad they have it in the game and subsequently happy that a lot of you aren't programmers over there at Rockstar/Team Bondi.

I'm a sucker for open world. This game does nothing with the open world, unless you're an LA resident and get a kick out of seeing recognizable landmarks, or really enjoy collectibles.

40s LA is always a great setting, but this is a game that would have actually benefited from going linear. It has issues with pacing and storytelling and the non-interactive open world design doesn't help, especially if you're going to do a lot of driving. You barely even have to see the open world; they put a skip-to option in there that allows you to skip every driving bit except chases. The open world design just isn't meaningful.

Fjordson

Just played the Slip of the Tongue and Naked City cases. Both were awesome. Can't wait for the Arson and Reefer Madness cases.
VistraNorrez said:
Same. It's why I'm not minding going back for all the free roam achievements (finish street crimes, all cars, landmarks, etc.) the city looks great.

fernoca

Well, jumped back into car-hunting...back to the remaining/last 5 cars. (Was there 2 days ago, before quitting and the game not saving up to that moment)...

It's 11:20 PM right now...let's see how many hours it takes to find those 5 cars.. XD ..will edit when I'm finished. :p

EDIT: 2:50 AM! Done! XD
A little longer than expected in some way..mostly because of the disc-swapping (some cars seems to only appear during specific cases/desks) and having to restart.

Also got the achievement for driving 194.7 miles. :)

Now..only remaining things to do are:
-Landmarks (10)
-Filmreels (50)
-Street crimes (19)
-One guy wit hevery gun (??)
-Badges (18 -to unlock an outfit)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zeliard said:
It's like the Kill Screen review said - with a city so dead, mostly due to the player as Cole having such limited interactivity with it and the citizens, it feels more like a pretty ghost town.

OK, that Kill Screen review is hilarious. Thanks for mentioning it, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I agree with the review, but I'm still enjoying LA Noire more than GTA IV (mostly because Niko Belic is such an unappealing and contradictory protagonist I really hated having to play as him for hours in that game). RDR is a better open world game than Noire is, for sure.

In my ideal world, Rockstar would just stick to period pieces like RDR and Noire. I love their re-imaginings of the past.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm on my second playthrough. A few cases into homicide. This is one of my favorite games I've played this gen. I seriously love it!

Sad to see so much of GAF not like it, but I understand most of their complaints. Doesn't mean I agree with them though : )

Getting all the cars was a piece of cake for me. I only had 15 to go once I beat the game and they were all in the correct location according to the guide I used. Some of them took a few reloads to appear, but in general I found that achievement easy.

It's so weird that they put so much effort and painstaking detail into the city and the landmarks, and into making so many cars... there's so little incentive to bother exploring, I bet most players will never bother to see much of it. They should have funneled their resources into other areas of the game. The world doesn't need to be so huge and totally open.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
fernoca said:
Darn..that's nice..no Nook or Kindle.. :?
Anything similar to be able to get them...PDF? :p

Amazon has a Kindle reading app for PC desktops and Android Smartphones/IPhones, so you can still read the book if you don't have an actual Kindle (I actually read most of my Kindle purchases on my G2 phone - the Kindle app is quite nice). Don't know about Nook.

Kindle Reading Apps for about every platform under the sun.

Nook Apps

fernoca

luxarific said:
Amazon has a Kindle reading app for PC desktops and Android Smartphones/IPhones, so you can still read the book if you don't have an actual Kindle (I actually read most of my Kindle purchases on my G2 phone - the Kindle app is quite nice). Don't know about Nook.

Kindle Reading Apps for about every platform under the sun.
Hahaha..thanks. Shows how much I read. :p

burgerdog

How long is this game? I just got to Vice and I have 14 hours on the clock. Seems a bit much, then again I have only played about an hour or so since release day.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
burgerdog said:
How long is this game? I just got to Vice and I have 14 hours on the clock. Seems a bit much, then again I have only played about an hour or so since release day.

Sounds about right. I reached Arson (Next desk after Vice) and was on about 17hrs. Think the game is close to 20ish.

I've hit a brink wall. Start of 2nd Case in Arson.

While searching the first house I get told to talk to the neighbours. I've talked to the man on the left who didn't like the victims and got all the info I could. Music still plays around the house. I had vibration hints turned off but have since turned them on. Can't find anything and when I talk to my parnter he says I should question the neighbours but I've exhausted the only dot on the map.

Is there another house I should go to? DOn't want to leave with potential clues left around but there is nothing vibrating or chiming, just constant background music.

Top Bottom