• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, I just had to restart an investigation because Ken sunk into the ground and I couldn't control him any more. There have been a few interesting bugs so far.

glaurung

Snuggler said:
Lol, I just had to restart an investigation because Ken sunk into the ground and I couldn't control him any more. There have been a few interesting bugs so far.
I managed to brush up against a woman in the very first "semi-real" case, the shoe shop killing, so hard that she bounced against a wall and then bounced into the street, pinball style.

But the game is awesome.

Turnstyle

Lionel Mandrake said:
Oh, and even though I liked the game...
This is bullshit.
XNGVs.jpg

I think this is a great feature. It's not there for your average Gaffer. It's there for people who perhaps aren't used to playing action games, and want to pursue the story.

My girlfriend has been playing this, and really enjoying it. However, when she fails a shooting or driving sequence she quickly becomes frustrated, and loses interest. Unlike me she hasn't spent the last twenty years wrestling with various game mechanics, so she struggles with the action sequences. However, she loves searching for clues and interviewing suspects.

If you don't like this feature, fine, turn it off. However, realise that there are lots of people out there who have an interest in this game, and they should be able to play it and enjoy it just as much as us. Introducing video games to a wider audience should always be welcomed.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend hasn't had to use the skip feature yet, but she knows it's there if she needs it. I have helped her with a couple of the shooting sections though!

crispyben

I just completed the second case on the Ad Vice desk, and I was wondering if I can go back and replay cases or free roam on any desk without screwing my progression/stats in the main story. Anyone know about that?

crispyben said:
I just completed the second case on the Ad Vice desk, and I was wondering if I can go back and replay cases or free roam on any desk without screwing my progression/stats in the main story. Anyone know about that?

Yes you can. The game saves replays on separate slots and it puts ...(Replay) at the end of the save game name

crispyben said:
Yes you can go back and replay cases that you have finished. It creates a separate save file so that it wont effect your main playthough. Also, you can free roam once all cases from a desk is completed.

I'm getting really frustrated here. There's so much I like about this game but some of it is handled really poorly. I hardly ever feel like I know what a particular piece of evidence is going to prove, and the penalty for getting it wrong is far too harsh. You accuse someone of lying and if you don't use the right evidence they just shut down instantly. You can never ask them about it ever again. Doesn't matter if you've just spent three hours on a case and you make a mistake on the very last question when you're interviewing the guy you know did it. He's sitting at the Police Station in cuffs and you only get one chance at convicting him? It's ridiculous.

I just finished the first Arson case and I forgot to mention
the Mosquito Coils to Varley
and that's it. No second chance, no "OK, well what about this?" just my Chief telling me I done fucked up and it's on to the next case. I hate that.

Rockstar Pass is now up to download - 800msp.

The L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass includes all the following: The Broderick Detective Suit, The Sharpshooter Detective Suit, The Badge Pursuit Challenge & Button Man Suit, "The Naked City" Vice Case, "A Slip Of The Tongue" Traffic Case, "Nicholson Electroplating" Arson Case and "Reefer Madness" Vice Case. Individual items will become available to download when released.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...7dd117-25c9-4034-82bb-d5f5917c3a93?cid=search
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...7dd117-25c9-4034-82bb-d5f5917c3a93?cid=search

Fjordson

Awesome! Going to download it tomorrow. At 30 something hours, about to 100 percent the core game (so many film reels). Can't wait to see the extra cases.

LiK

wonder how they will price individual cases. hope the total is for $10 as well cuz people who preordered already have one of them.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finished the game last night. I'm totally serious when I say this is one of the best games I've ever played.

Started a second playthrough immediately.

Sectus

I'm extremely confused. I downloaded the Rockstar Pass... and there's no new cases or anything unlocked.

So um... what?

Sectus said:
I'm extremely confused. I downloaded the Rockstar Pass... and there's no new cases or anything unlocked.

So um... what?

I suspect you just bought permission to download all of the DLC as they become available.

Sectus

... permission to buy DLC? So I didn't get anything at all?

I'm just extremely confused. I'm looking at the marketplace now and I'm seeing the cases being sold individually for 320msp each. Is the pass needed for buying any of those? If that's the case, then it's pure bullshit. And it's horribly explained since the description for the pass makes it sound like you get all of it.

Sectus

Well, I'm looking through the marketplace and they're still costing money to me. They're big downloads too so they have to be the actual DLC.

dk_

Sectus said:
Well, I'm looking through the marketplace and they're still costing money to me. They're big downloads too so they have to be the actual DLC.
WTF is going on? Can someone explain this nonsense?!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Maybe there's an in-game option to download them without being charged anything? This might sound stupid but since I'm at uni I haven't got the game yet...

Rodhull

Superimposer said:
Maybe there's an in-game option to download them without being charged anything? This might sound stupid but since I'm at uni I haven't got the game yet...
Nah there isn't, it just says owned - coming soon.

Seems a strange way to do things especially as those who buy the cases individually can play them straight away.

wetwired

Looks like the cases are 320MS points each and there's 4 of them. That's 1280 plus is has a ton of useless suits thrown in.

So even though I already have Slip of the Tongue via preorder it looks like I'm better off getting the rockstar pass

I had a good laugh when Biggs was telling me en route to a crime scene that he hadn't fired a gun since 1917, had never used his gun on duty, and was worried that he would finally have to use it on our next stop. This after we had just brutally killed a shitload of criminals during street crimes, and him hanging out the window firing at like 5 different cars.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ok, so clear something up for me, is this Rockstar pass just to get the Pre-order stuff and 2 new DLC cases, or is it for all future L.A. Noire DLC free too?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ok, so clear something up for me, is this Rockstar pass just to get the Pre-order stuff and 2 new DLC cases, or is it for all future L.A. Noire DLC free too?

There will be future DLC included too. I think there are two more cases left to come out.

"Nicholson Electroplating Disaster" DLC case - June 21 - $4
"Reefer Madness" DLC case - July 12 - $4

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
canadian crowe said:
There will be future DLC included too. I think there are two more cases left to come out.

Yeah, the 2 cases coming out soon, but they have a ton of DLC in the pipe, so I am curious if this pass gets you each and every L.A. Noire DLC free.

Erekiddo

Picked up the Rockstar Pass this morning.

It doesn't allow you to download any DLC cases yet, it says 'Coming Soon'. If you purchase them a la carte, you can play them immediately.

Odd. :|

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yeah, the 2 cases coming out soon, but they have a ton of DLC in the pipe, so I am curious if this pass gets you each and every L.A. Noire DLC free.

Oh, I'm not sure. I'm willing to bet that the pass only includes what they announced today. I'd imagine that after that they will release full desks, and charge 800-1200 each for those. Just a guess though.

Yeah, the Pass specifically lists what it includes--I seriously doubt you now have carte blanche to download all future DLC. There were two entire desks that were cut out, so there are likely 8-10 cases beyond the pre-order bonuses.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
canadian crowe said:

Hmm, $4.00 per case seems kind of high. I hope the remaining two desks aren't more than $15 each (preferably $10).

dk_

NeoNess said:
Picked up the Rockstar Pass this morning.

It doesn't allow you to download any DLC cases yet, it says 'Coming Soon'. If you purchase them a la carte, you can play them immediately.

Odd. :|
Yeah, I don't get that either. :-/

I only buy the pass when it's clear what I actually get for my monies.

Korosenai

Right now you can buy two costumes for 80 msp a piece, and then you can buy The Naked City and A Slip of the Tongue for 320 msp a piece. That means for those four things it would cost you 800 msp, and you can play both of those cases right now. The rockstar pass is 800 msp and gets you all four of those things, along with the other two cases that are not available right now. Meaning you save around 5 dollars if you purchase the rockstar pass instead of everything individually.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NubInaTub said:
Right now you can buy two costumes for 80 msp a piece, and then you can buy The Naked City and A Slip of the Tongue for 320 msp a piece. That means for those four things it would cost you 800 msp, and you can play both of those cases right now. The rockstar pass is 800 msp and gets you all four of those things, along with the other two cases that are not available right now. Meaning you save around 5 dollars if you purchase the rockstar pass instead of everything individually.

Soif you preordered the game and got a case, you're still better off buying the pass anyway.

chase

1. So many times the "correct response" doesn't follow logically. There shouldn't have been even one of these instances in the game, and there are dozens and dozens.

2. Good story, needed to be better presented in terms of introducing, and re-introducing, new names and characters. Gets to be confusing.

Really like the story, seems like a great attempt at putting a "movie" story into a game. Hope all kinds of developers can learn from this and see that it can be done.

Korosenai

Papercuts said:
Soif you preordered the game and got a case, you're still better off buying the pass anyway.
Yep, and as of right now the cases should be working. So if you bought the rockstar pass you are free to play the dlc.

Edit: You also get the badge pursuit challenge which is 160 msp itself, so you actually save more. Basically if you have one dlc case right now, you need to buy the rockstar pass. You will save alot.

graywolf323

okay almost finished Vice and I just don't want to play this game anymore

I had been enjoying the story up until now but it's just gone completely stupid IMO

it started with the end mission in homicide, I still swear some of those guys I arrested for the previous murders definitely did it yet somehow this serial killer did it and managed to frame all of them with no one ever seeing him? such bullshit

fernoca

Added this in the other thread...

fernoca said:
pVxaC.jpg

Awesome deal, since I was planning on paying $10 for Slip in the Tongue..only. XD

The 108kb, puts all content as "owned" and sends you to download each individual file (A Slip in the Tongue is 240+MB).

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Im on the second case in vice now and Im still enjoying it even with all of it's faults. I really wish we had the opportunity to explore
the whole serial killer thing more in homicide. Perhaps a choice to go that route or just accuse people who had the evidence planted on them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
graywolf323 said:
okay almost finished Vice and I just don't want to play this game anymore

I had been enjoying the story up until now but it's just gone completely stupid IMO

You better just stop right now because the ending is even worse, I still trying to forgot how bad it was.

graywolf323 said:
it started with the end mission in homicide, I still swear some of those guys I arrested for the previous murders definitely did it yet somehow this serial killer did it and managed to frame all of them with no one ever seeing him? such bullshit

Yeah the entire thing must be one of the most stupid things ever in video games history, we got people who burn or hide evidence, run away from you, told you their motives for killing,even admit it,have same tools and stuff.. yet..in the end the game throw that stupid plot...

Mcnamara destroyed David Cage in bullshit competition with this awful "story" arc and bad story telling here.

dreamfall

I just 100%-ed the game (no Platinum yet!). I loved much of it, though there are some story qualms. Getting ready for this PS Store to go up so I can get the Rockstar Pass!

Do not even dare to highlight, until you've finished the game!

Playing as Jack really took me by surprise, and was a welcomed change of pace from Cole's narrative. I loved Biggs as a partner- some of the banter was hilarious! I do feel like the ending was very abrupt, but the cutscene after the credits really cemented pieces of the narrative together. It was interesting to think how all the men in the war came back- some scarred, some opportunistic yet almost all got killed in the crossfire. I think the Fontaine/Sheldon relationship in regards to taking the morphine was rushed through. I wanted more explanation on the transfer! Too much shooting near the end, but I enjoyed it!

I'm ready to watch that Day/Night cycle in action during some blissful free roam sessions. Cheers to Rockstar!

Sectus

I wonder if they did a last minute change regarding "failing" cases. If you don't do well enough (not get a confession from someone or charge the wrong guy), your boss gets mad as hell and always tells you to do mundane tasks before getting another case. But you get another case right afterwards regardless. I wonder if you were originally forced to do side missions at that point.

Top Bottom