• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gen X said:
Sounds about right. I reached Arson (Next desk after Vice) and was on about 17hrs. Think the game is close to 20ish.

I've hit a brink wall. Start of 2nd Case in Arson.

While searching the first house I get told to talk to the neighbours. I've talked to the man on the left who didn't like the victims and got all the info I could. Music still plays around the house. I had vibration hints turned off but have since turned them on. Can't find anything and when I talk to my parnter he says I should question the neighbours but I've exhausted the only dot on the map.

Is there another house I should go to? DOn't want to leave with potential clues left around but there is nothing vibrating or chiming, just constant background music.

There's clues on the neighbors yard. I think around the front or a tree somewhere, it was really hard to find and I also needed to turn the clue hints on for it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Papercuts said:
There's clues on the neighbors yard. I think around the front or a tree somewhere, it was really hard to find and I also needed to turn the clue hints on for it.

Success, thanks. That was the exact piece I was missing to progress.

One thing though.
Found it weird that your partner finds the origami right next to where you were standing

Yerolo

Did any other PS3 users not get a code for The Consul's Car in their box and not showing up in the PS Store ?

Jipped.....

Yerolo said:
Did any other PS3 users not get a code for The Consul's Car in their box and not showing up in the PS Store ?

Jipped.....

Consul's Car is still missing in action :( Got to download the Naked City though.
and from what i understand the code for Consul's Car was only for americans?

sneaky77

samus4ever said:
Made it up to Vice desk now. I don't know. The game isn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to play it more than an hour at a time. Once the initial wow factor is over, it's just so dull for most of the part. I don't even bother driving around the city any more because it's just a big waste of time. Does the game start to pick up when you get to Vice?

I am on the same boat, I feel the game could have used a shorter more tighter story arc, right now I just feel compelled to keep going just to finish it, but I am not doing any driving around anymore, just want to get the game finished.

Kobiekun

Yerolo said:

Jipped.....

If memory serves, I put in all of the codes that were included in the box, including The Consul's Car, and it downloaded fine. I'll check when I get home to be sure, and amend this post if it turns out I was wrong.

Dunbar

Is it still supposed to be crashing when you select Playstation Store from the menu? I want to use my Rockstar Pass.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dunbar said:
Is it still supposed to be crashing when you select Playstation Store from the menu? I want to use my Rockstar Pass.

I got hard lockups when I tried to access the DLC store from within the game itself. However, if you purchase the Rockstar Pass from the PSN store, download it and then immediately go back to the LA Noire page in the store listing all the available DLC, you'll see that all the DLC that used to cost money is now listed as free. You can then queue up everything for download and it will show up in the game (under cases, for each appropriate desk) after you install it from the XMB.

Consul's Car showed up for download in the PSN Store when I input my code and downloaded without any problems

rvy

Banned
Loving it so far. Those newspapers seem off though, but I guess that the doc and Shelton have something to do with the story at some point.
Oh, car handling is crap. GTA IV is where it's at.

I just found the most hilarious thing ever in this game! Wow, I burst out laughing... I can't believe Cole even said that...

In "The Consul's Car" DLC PS3 exclusive case, when Cole Phelps asks Valdez what his relationship to Gabriel is, if you accuse him of lying... well:

Spoilers, of course
Cole:
You fuck young boys, Valdez?
Valdez:
Are you a madman? This will cause an international incident!

Unbelievable... there's really no basis for Cole making this accusation. It's so hilarious
EDIT: NEVERMIND, THIS IS THE CORRECT ACCUSATION HOLY SHIT. I completely forgot about that evidence I found at the very beginning of the case.

It is a shame you can't examine evidence in the same way as you do when you first find it. You can only read Cole's notes on the evidence. =/

Oneself

StunandStab said:
It's so hilarious
EDIT: NEVERMIND, THIS IS THE CORRECT ACCUSATION HOLY SHIT. I completely forgot about that evidence I found at the very beginning of the case.

It's still is quite hilarious if you ask me. I just did it about an hour ago and was all "Damn, Phelps is such a badass detective."

ALSO: I'm not quite sure how the save system works.. once I replayed a case or simply played a downloaded one, the "resume" save file still lies there.. can I deleted it once the case is done or will it erase the progress for that particular case?

Oneself said:
It's still is quite hilarious if you ask me. I just did it about an hour ago and was all "Damn, Phelps is such a badass detective."

ALSO: I'm not quite sure how the save system works.. once I replayed a case or simply play a downloaded one, the "resume" save file still lies there.. can I deleted it once the case is done or will it erased the progress for that particular case?

I've reached the maximum amount of save files from replaying various cases and have had to delete a few. I'm pretty sure it saves your progress... I haven't lost my 5 star rating from replays anyway
Also: my game just froze trying to load the cutscene at the end of the case =/

Bliddo

StopMakingSense said:
It's safer to drive through a intersection with a red light than green light in this game.
Not a problem, it's always red.
There was really so much traffic in the 40s?

I'm playing it on the 360 and just on the second disc. Don't see any real plot development yet.

Initially it was fun solving cases but please tell me it gets better.

dreamfall

StunandStab said:
I just found the most hilarious thing ever in this game! Wow, I burst out laughing... I can't believe Cole even said that...

In "The Consul's Car" DLC PS3 exclusive case, when Cole Phelps asks Valdez what his relationship to Gabriel is, if you accuse him of lying... well:

seriously hilarious! as I was proceeding through the case, I was thinking, "well how are we going to address this piece of evidence?" And Cole declared it wonderfully!

burgerdog

So we can redeem codes now on PSN? Yesterday it ate a few of my codes, luckily I didn't try to redeem the ps3 exclusive case. Will try if others have downloaded it.

dwebo

Yeah, I just redeemed my amazon suit and consul's car a few minutes ago. 664mb for the latter - pretty chunky.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to from these dlc cases is the hopefully reduced disc seeking noise. LA Noire had some of the worst squealing I've ever heard from my slim's drive.

A Slip of the Tongue spoilers:

Cole Phelps:
Give me something, Belasco, or I'll take you back to the cells and tell the whole station you're a child molester. how long do you think you'll last?

lol, Cole, I am really enjoying his lines in these DLC cases. He's being a huge dick and it's awesome.

Yerolo

Noisepurge said:
from what i understand the code for Consul's Car was only for americans?

Yep, certainly looks that way (I'm in Australia btw). Not too fussed about it, Ive heard it isnt that great anyway. I just don't think it was widely reported pre-release that it was only the American's getting it, everything I read was PS3 exclusive, all PS3 users get it blah blah

Maybe one day it'll turn up in the store

Just played The Set Up last night... and understood NOTHING. Seriously, I shot the person I thought I was supposed to, and then the chief comes in and yells at me and tells me I have street duty. Can someone explain to me what exactly happened in that case? I had no idea who was trying to rip off who or the whole deal with the girl or anything.

I also got pissed because Roy said "Look for any prominent Tommies" when I was looking through the ledger. Not understanding the slang from back then, I took it literally and spent a good five or so minutes looking for people ACTUALLY named Tommy or Thomas. My brother finally looked it up for me, and it turned out it had something to do with British soldiers.

If you don't know what a Limey or a Tommy is, you will never know the guy's British until you hear him speak... which isn't till near the end of the case.

This is the only case I've had problems with. Everything else so far as been pretty easy to understand and made sense. This case also made me hate Roy Earle. I'm going to crash his car so much in the next case.

vehn

Any ps3 owners get the dlc working? I boughtit directly from the store, but it didn't show up in cases. Then when I go to ps store in game it freezes

Fjordson

burgerdog said:
How long is this game? I just got to Vice and I have 14 hours on the clock. Seems a bit much, then again I have only played about an hour or so since release day.
In-game clock at the end of the last desk said 32 hours for me, but I never had my partner drive and did all the street crimes.

dwebo

vehn said:
Any ps3 owners get the dlc working? I boughtit directly from the store, but it didn't show up in cases. Then when I go to ps store in game it freezes
Well, I got consul working, and the amazon outfit shows up in the menu. Haven't tried buying the pass yet or any other cases, since the in-game store freezes for me too and I'll wait for that to sort out first.

Speaking of Consul's Car, I've only played a few minutes of it, but it's just like any other case, for better or worse. There's even partner dialog during the car drives, referencing the story case before it. RDR "exclusive" hideout this is most definitely not. Assuming the rest of the case ends up being as good as the first few parts, I'll definitely be picking up the pass at some point. Disc still seeks like a motherfucker, though, which is unfortunate.

fernoca

Yep. Game-time varies from person.
I finished the game (story) at 22 hours, but I'm currently at 30 hours.

Overall I'd say that it's 15-20 hours if you play the game and ignore the other misc. things like looking for cars, street crimes, film-reels, etc....and don't replay cases.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone have the Platinum Trophy?

How big of a pain is it to replay the game if I were to just play it through the first time without targeting Trophies. Is cleaning up Trophies and going after 5 stars a real bitch?

Chanser

I got platinum trophy. You can get most of the trophies by going through the game first time. Any trophies missing, you can load the relevant cases or free roam.

Ridley327

Adam Prime said:
Anyone have the Platinum Trophy?

How big of a pain is it to replay the game if I were to just play it through the first time without targeting Trophies. Is cleaning up Trophies and going after 5 stars a real bitch?
Getting 5 stars on a case is really easy. The trouble comes in when you start tracking down the cars and the film reels.

Plasmid

Ridley327 said:
Getting 5 stars on a case is really easy. The trouble comes in when you start tracking down the cars and the film reels.

This, i took more time gathering cars then i did the story itself.

Oneself

I read complaints about the in-game store freezing already and found out something last night, so here's a tip for PS3 owners:

Once you buy the Rockstar pass directly from the PSN Store (not in-game), all the DLC for L.A.Noire on the store becomes automatically free of charge (except the avatars..)

Everything works fine when you don't access from in-game.

Just started the Arson desk, and I think this game could've really been something special if it was a bit more "visceral." Everything from the chases, to shooting, to the investigative process, and the cinematography (or lack there of) during interrogations reek of being too clean, too sterile, and a bit bland. Everything should be faster, harder hitting, more dramatic, grittier, moodier. Honestly though, this is something Rockstar still hasn't nailed quite yet. As much as I love their games, they DO lack a certain cinematic flair and briskness in the gameplay that would push them onto another level.

An LA Noire sequel should take inspiration from Se7en. Darker, gritter, faster.

Still enjoying it, and will probably pick up the Rockstar Pass.

unomas

Banned
boundedseven said:
I'm playing it on the 360 and just on the second disc. Don't see any real plot development yet.

Initially it was fun solving cases but please tell me it gets better.

It doesn't, I'm on the third disc and it's just become a chore to play the game. I have 5 cases left and I just want it over with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A week later, I think what I really found didn't work in this game was how simplistic Bondi tried to keep the interrogation system. I'm playing some other more RPGish games and thinking back it really seems like Bondi's goal with that system was to try and prevent the game from being seen as being heavily text based; I think that the dialogue system would have worked a lot better if you had more than three concrete options and it wasn't so "black and white" as to whether you got it right or not. If a character is lying and you bluff without evidence, it should actually work sometimes.

Angry Grimace said:
A week later, I think what I really found didn't work in this game was how simplistic Bondi tried to keep the interrogation system. I'm playing some other more RPGish games and thinking back it really seems like Bondi's goal with that system was to try and prevent the game from being seen as being heavily text based; I think that the dialogue system would have worked a lot better if you had more than three concrete options and it wasn't so "black and white" as to whether you got it right or not. If a character is lying and you bluff without evidence, it should actually work sometimes.

There should've been branching answers. It's more work, but I think it would've fixed some of the problems people had with picking the "wrong" answers. On top of that, the game should've never pointed out that you got something "wrong," at least not immediately.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just completed The Golden Butterfly case, I'm sure this was discussed, but,
does it ultimately matter who you accuse? Do you find out the end verdict, if he was sentenced? I honestly re-loaded several times while investigating, cause I kept screwing up Rooney (I evidently missed a clue, I ended with 11/12) but I ultimately ended up accusing him. Obviously there are enough clues toward either, but I ended up going down to motive. He just had more reason to kill her in my mind. The husband sure looked guilty and I didn't buy his 'victim' act, but why murder? Big deal they fight on occasion, but it wasn't heavy abuse or anything. The fact that the watch, ring, and butterfly were stolen didn't seem like something he'd do, while Rooney could use the money. Though it's silly - if this were real life, they'd find the husbands coworker and try and corroborate the rabbit skinning story. And how come I couldn't check Rooney's shoe size? ha

John Harker said:
Just completed The Golden Butterfly case, I'm sure this was discussed, but,
does it ultimately matter who you accuse? Do you find out the end verdict, if he was sentenced? I honestly re-loaded several times while investigating, cause I kept screwing up Rooney (I evidently missed a clue, I ended with 11/12) but I ultimately ended up accusing him. Obviously there are enough clues toward either, but I ended up going down to motive. He just had more reason to kill her in my mind. The husband sure looked guilty and I didn't buy his 'victim' act, but why murder? Big deal they fight on occasion, but it wasn't heavy abuse or anything. The fact that the watch, ring, and butterfly were stolen didn't seem like something he'd do, while Rooney could use the money. Though it's silly - if this were real life, they'd find the husbands coworker and try and corroborate the rabbit skinning story. And how come I couldn't check Rooney's shoe size? ha
Keep playing

Zeliard

"I honestly re-loaded several times while investigating, cause I kept screwing up Rooney"

This is the issue with telling you which questions you got right and wrong.

You don't have to reload anything. The story moves on no matter what you do. If you really want to get everything 'right' you may as well just use a guide.

Top Bottom