• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Zeliard said:
"I honestly re-loaded several times while investigating, cause I kept screwing up Rooney"

This is the issue with telling you which questions you got right and wrong.

You don't have to reload anything. The story moves on no matter what you do. If you really want to get everything 'right' you may as well just use a guide.

I don't mind getting the occasional question wrong, but If I really screw something up I'll re-do it. I just want to get the complete picture, if you read a suspect wrong you can really mess up a whole train of questions and evidence (and sometimes, well, I just want to see where Cole is going with something. In this particular case, I WANTED he option to charge Rooney, but there you're wrong: if you get too many questions wrong, you can't even charge him to continue down that path. So, I feel slightly justified in re-starting the line of questions, heh

Zeliard

John Harker said:
I don't mind getting the occasional question wrong, but If I really screw something up I'll re-do it. I just want to get the complete picture, if you read a suspect wrong you can really mess up a whole train of questions and evidence (and sometimes, well, I just want to see where Cole is going with something. In this particular case, I WANTED he option to charge Rooney, but there you're wrong: if you get too many questions wrong, you can't even charge him to continue down that path. So, I feel slightly justified in re-starting the line of questions, heh

Eh, I thought that was the fun of it myself. It would be far more annoying if they actually forced you to restart the interrogations if you got things wrong.

You could also be missing out on other things as well by trying to get everything right. If you don't manage to squeeze a clue out of one person, you might have to talk to someone else or go to a location you didn't have to before. So getting every question right isn't necessarily going to get you the "full picture" - it just gets you to where you need to ultimately go more quickly.

The issue is, like someone mentioned earlier, that the interrogation responses feel a bit too artificial. One thing that doesn't make much sense is the doubt/lie difference - if someone is lying and you doubt them instead of picking the "lie" option, that shouldn't always be seen as an automatic incorrect response. From the perspective of the guy you're accusing, if he is actually lying, doubting him should also be effective to some degree even if you aren't presenting evidence at the time. Not every single person should be able to call you out on it; that should be personality-based, which is something you're already trying to get a bead on anyway.

Hopefully in the next installment they'll make the interrogations feel more natural and seamless.

Finished the Naked City Vice case. God I love Roy Earle as a partner. I know we're supposed to think he's a dick, but he's definitely my favorite partner. I hope we get some more Vice cases as DLC. Best line?
"I'm glad I didn't park there."

After doing Naked City, I'm definitely on the bandwagon of picking up any and every DLC that they put out for this, case-wise at least. Already got the Rockstar Pass, but I'm itching for the Burglary desk as well as any other cut cases. You can see the DLC cases actually fit into the story, so hopefully more things will get fleshed out.

Working on Slip of the Tongue now.

Zeliard said:
Eh, I thought that was the fun of it myself. It would be far more annoying if they actually forced you to restart the interrogations if you got things wrong.

You could also be missing out on other things as well by trying to get everything right. If you don't manage to squeeze a clue out of one person, you might have to talk to someone else or go to a location you didn't have to before. So getting every question right isn't necessarily going to get you the "full picture" - it just gets you to where you need to ultimately go more quickly.

The issue is, like someone mentioned earlier, that the interrogation responses feel a bit too artificial. One thing that doesn't make much sense is the doubt/lie difference - if someone is lying and you doubt them instead of picking the "lie" option, that shouldn't always be seen as an automatic incorrect response. From the perspective of the guy you're accusing, if he is actually lying, doubting him should also be effective to some degree even if you aren't presenting evidence at the time. Not every single person should be able to call you out on it; that should be personality-based, which is something you're already trying to get a bead on anyway.

Hopefully in the next installment they'll make the interrogations feel more natural and seamless.

If you pick Doubt even if the "right answer" is Lie, you still shouldn't get it "wrong," the game should just keep the case going and branch into another set of lines, or a backup situation created by the developers. They kind of do that, but the the whole scorecard approach really takes away from the experience, especially since you can't skip most cutscenes, and it takes so long to reload. On top of that, even if you're wrong, everyone just keeps on truckin' so it's like, what's the point of case grades at all?

Finished up Vice today. The first few cases weren't that great, but they definitely pick up at the end in my opinion. Also, whereas I just disliked Roy after The Set Up, I really hate the guy now. I caused around $2000 in vehicle damage with his car. Tried to run him over, but you can't do that :(

Dries

I'm on the last case of Homicide and will be so glad when this is over. The whole homicide desk left a pretty fucking sour aftertaste. Too repititive and there's nothing more frustrating than seeing where this is all going but your protagonists don't even have a clue. Was enjoying greatly until homicide..but now it's running out of steam.

Please tell me GAF, is Vice much better or should I just stop now?

jackdoe

Ugh. The Quarter Moon Murder. Interesting concept, some of the worst execution I've ever seen in a video game. To have a freaking story mission rely on on an optional, non essential sidequest is one of the most idiotic design decisions ever.

daviyoung

Banned
Dries said:

So you bought this game on launch, praised everything about it, and have only now got halfway through?
You trolling?

It does get better in Vice. How much better will be your own opinion.

Not ready any of this thread
But got L.A Noire last night and played an hour or so this morning, just done the first shooting case (in the jewellery store)
I'm really liking it, nice music and voice acting, and I really like the facial animation

The interrogation bit seems quite tricky, I had to try the Kalua guy 3 times before I got a conviction, so I'm hoping it won't always be an issue, not that I mind though.

Also the shooting/chasing etc of what little I've sampled so far seems surprisingly competent

Generally I just like the presentation as a whole the most, I don't particularly care for the LA theme but I'm enjoying it in this context

Will update with some impressions later

Turnstyle

Anyone else come across any bugs?

I'm playing on a 360 slim, and so far I've had two lock ups, as well as a few smaller bugs (super-late pop ups, missing icons).

The frame rate really dips at times, but I can live with that.

Guzim

In my statistics, it says I viewed 12/13 newspapers, but when I look at the case files there's a newspaper to the 13 cases where they appear. Any one have an idea what's up with that?

lucius

The Playstation store access in game locks up the game still!

Making the Rockstar Online Pass useless until they fixed it.

Pretty disappointed with these DLC cases so far. Not because they're bad (they're not), but because they were very clearly cut from the game for no apparent reason but to sell it separately at a later date.

The Naked City has a scene where you run into Bekowsky and find out
he was finally promoted to Homicide - something that is never revealed without the DLC case being installed
. There's also foreshadowing in there towards the game's twists as well.

They should've just kept them in the game. :/

Turnstyle said:

I'm playing on a 360 slim, and so far I've had two lock ups, as well as a few smaller bugs (super-late pop ups, missing icons).

One bug I had was a classic Getaway bug: The chase vehicle sinks into the asphalt and disappears off the map. I can't follow the invisible car. Game Over: I lost the bugged car!

jackdoe

lucius said:
The Playstation store access in game locks up the game still!

Making the Rockstar Online Pass useless until they fixed it.
Just go to the actual store and download the items one by one. They should ring up as "Free" after the pass.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dries said:
I'm on the last case of Homicide and will be so glad when this is over. The whole homicide desk left a pretty fucking sour aftertaste. Too repititive and there's nothing more frustrating than seeing where this is all going but your protagonists don't even have a clue. Was enjoying greatly until homicide..but now it's running out of steam.

I think it gets "better" in Vice, but it's where the repetition really hit me and I started to really shorten my play sessions with the game. Then Arson is amazingly shit.

Revolutionary said:
Pretty disappointed with these DLC cases so far. Not because they're bad (they're not), but because they were very clearly cut from the game for no apparent reason but to sell it separately at a later date.

The Naked City has a scene where you run into Bekowsky and find out
he was finally promoted to Homicide - something that is never revealed without the DLC case being installed
. There's also foreshadowing in there towards the game's twists as well.

Awesome to hear. Got to love anti-consumer tactics like this!

Montresor

tiff said:
After Homicide it'd be hard for Vice not get much better.

The real question is how bad it gets after that.

The game gets much better IMO. Homicide was fine but it was so repetitive! The cases get a lot more varied afterwards. You'll still be solving murders but now youre dealing with narcotics and arsonists, which I loved.

Guzim said:
In my statistics, it says I viewed 12/13 newspapers, but when I look at the case files there's a newspaper to the 13 cases where they appear. Any one have an idea what's up with that?

I don't understand your question. FYI the final case has two newspapers.

daviyoung

Banned
Revolutionary said:

I have no intention of buying them but this is interesting because I felt this was the case when I played through the game.

Who are your partners in the DLC?

jackdoe said:
Ugh. The Quarter Moon Murder. Interesting concept, some of the worst execution I've ever seen in a video game. To have a freaking story mission rely on on an optional, non essential sidequest is one of the most idiotic design decisions ever.

If you're talking about
the landmarks, I'm pretty sure the game displays the relevant ones you haven't already found as question marks on the map during the mission

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Guzim said:

I hit level 20 right after Vice was over, but the stats showed me as level 19 about to hit 20, it never fixed itself. I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

Dries

daviyoung said:
So you bought this game on launch, praised everything about it, and have only now got halfway through?
You trolling?

It does get better in Vice. How much better will be your own opinion.

I don't have a lot of time to play games, so yes, I've only now started Vice. I did LOVE the game to shreds until like the 4th homicide case though... No doubt about that. After that it got meh, but here's hoping the Vice and Arson desks will be awesome.

Man, if only they would've tweaked those homicide cases. The game could be so much better. Everything before mid-homicide has been completely awesome, so no. Not trolling.

Post Game Thoughts:

- Whenever Chicago Noire/New York Noire/London Noire is hatched, Rockstar & Bondi need to hire a proper writer to pen the story. The muddled pace and direction really detracts from the strengths of this game.

- More focus on crime scene investigation and sleuthing, less focus on the often frustrating interrogations. I had fun when the game forced you into the city to search for clues
that one time.

- No motorcycles?

- Introduce Euphoria.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Turnstyle said:

I should record this and put it online, but there's a really funny glitch, not sure if it's been posted.

Get out of a car and walk to one of the ranch houses. If you go toward the side of the house, usually the right side, there's a small stair that leads to a door you can't open. It seems to be on almost every house of that type.

Back up as far as you can, and run toward the stairs full speed... you run right up the wall and onto the roof! Except Cole isn't suppose to be on the roof haha, so he spazzes out with limb's a-flyin, screams, and falls flat on his face near the stairs. Oh, and he loses his hat.

This happened the same exact way every time I've done it to a number of different homes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Revolutionary said:

This is very true, and I think the game as a whole suffers for it, due to the butchery of the story points and tidbits that many people will not see.

Guzim

Montresor said:
I don't understand your question. FYI the final case has two newspapers.
Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes I did get the 2 newspapers in the final case.

When I look at my statistics for the game, it says I have 12/13. However, I will be looking at the case files and there's a newspaper icon next to the 13 cases indicating that I have viewed all 13 newspapers.

Papercuts said:
I hit level 20 right after Vice was over, but the stats showed me as level 19 about to hit 20, it never fixed itself. I don't think there's anything you can do about it.
Thanks!

daviyoung said:
I have no intention of buying them but this is interesting because I felt this was the case when I played through the game.

Who are your partners in the DLC?
The partners are the same as the main game for the DLC missions. Vice is Earle, Traffic Bekowksy, etc.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
If you're talking about
the landmarks, I'm pretty sure the game displays the relevant ones you haven't already found as question marks on the map during the mission
Indeed they do. I found like maybe 5 total prior to that case, so it was clear as day to me that
the influx of new question marks that popped up on the map were related to the case. Made it too easy, I think. I would have preferred being kept in the dark and being forced to look for the landmarks like in a real investigation - but I see that other people wouldn't have liked that at all.

tiff

Banned
I didn't know if those question marks were
actually new (because there's no reason to check the map and hover over every question mark outside of that case unless you're hunting for cars), I thought they might have just been the city's most major landmarks that are given to you at the beginning of the game. I tried to solve every one but I was pretty quick to give up if I thought I wasn't equipped to handle it. Some of them, at least, seemed like you had to have been to the location in question to even have a chance.

The Lamp

sneaky77 said:
Ultimately it doesn't matter

The problem with this game is that
none of the cases you solve except for the first few traffic ones and the ultimate, final conspiracy
matter at all in the game whatsoever.

Revolutionary said:

I thought they were removed for space/length reasons. I mean, the game was already three discs long. I would have definitely loved Naked City as a regular case in the main game, though.

Revolutionary said:
Indeed they do. I found like maybe 5 total prior to that case, so it was clear as day to me that
the influx of new question marks that popped up on the map were related to the case. Made it too easy, I think. I would have preferred being kept in the dark and being forced to look for the landmarks like in a real investigation - but I see that other people wouldn't have liked that at all.

What I wish they had done was given you an option, like after a while of searching you can use an intuition point to give you an idea of where to search for the landmark, instead of just putting the ? marks on the map if you haven't gotten them yet. Or put some dummy ? marks on there too, for landmarks that didn't actually apply to the case, just to mess with your head.

Dries

Will those WWII flashbacks ever make any sense btw? They all now seem completely random to me. Even the flashbacks themselves don't feel connected.

lucius

I just installed 3 new DLC cases but my save game was like halfway through will the DLC cases popup in the regular game now, or do I have to start a new game to get them activated.

fernoca

Dries said:
Will those WWII flashbacks ever make any sense btw? They all now seem completely random to me. Even the flashbacks themselves don't feel connected.
It is connected to a few of the characters and the main story...though it's during the
Vice
desk; were it makes the most sense.

lucius said:
I just installed 3 new DLC cases but my save game was like halfway through will the DLC cases popup in the regular game now, or do I have to start a new game to get them activated.
If you have them installed, ithe cases will appear on the respective desks/folders to be chosen independently..and also through the game.

If you finish them earlier and the jump on the main story; you'll be asked if you want to replay the case or just jump to the next one. If you play it through the story, after finishing the case you'll be thrown back to the main menu; and you'll have to choose the next case/save.

rvy

Banned
Can someone help me out here:

Is there any other way to take out Leroy Sebo? I don't want to shoot him, but warning shots doesn't make sense given the circumstances. Can I shoot him in his arm, after he grabs the hostage, instead of killing him?

fernoca

rvy said:
Can someone help me out here:

Is there any other way to take out Leroy Sebo? I don't want to shoot him, but warning shots doesn't make sense given the circumstances. Can I shoot him in his arm, after he grabs the hostage, instead of killing him?
Warning shots are only for when they're running.
The moment he
grabs a hostage, you have to kill him
. That applies to all similar situations; from what I remember.

iNvid02

if anyone has a kindle you can get the collected stories for free
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052CHOKA/

105335927.JPG

rvy

Banned
fernoca said:
Warning shots are only for when they're running.
The moment he
grabs a hostage, you have to kill him
. That applies to all similar situations; from what I remember.
Thanks a lot.

Incendiary said:
I thought they were removed for space/length reasons. I mean, the game was already three discs long. I would have definitely loved Naked City as a regular case in the main game, though.
That's the "official" reasoning behind the removal of the cases, I think, and I'm sure there's some truth to it as well. After all, the DLC missions I've downloaded so far amount to 2.6GB combined.

However, in terms of the story, I just don't think removing these cases (The Naked City in particular) was worth it when they nudge the overarching plot forward as much as some of the other cases do. It was very clearly once a part of the main game, and was exorcised either in favor of reducing disk space or to sell it for a profit later (or both). As someone mentioned earlier, it lends to a somewhat disjointed feel towards the end of the game, as though something is missing (because there is). Very disappointing.

jackdoe

Revolutionary said:
However, in terms of the story, I just don't think removing these cases (The Naked City in particular) was worth it when they nudge the overarching plot forward as much as some of the other cases do. It was very clearly once a part of the main game, and was exorcised either in favor of reducing disk space or to sell it for a profit later (or both). As someone mentioned earlier, it lends to a somewhat disjointed feel towards the end of the game, as though something is missing (because there is). Very disappointing.
Well, I started to play Naked City before I got through homicide and immediately stopped once I realized that it was tied into the overarching narrative.

fernoca

Revolutionary said:
That's the "official" reasoning behind the removal of the cases, I think, and I'm sure there's some truth to it as well. After all, the DLC missions I've downloaded so far amount to 2.6GB combined.
Darn! :O!
All (current/combined) DLC on Xbox 360 takes 667MB. That doesn't include Consuls Car; but is not like that case would take 2GB.

Montresor

Guzim said:
Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes I did get the 2 newspapers in the final case.

When I look at my statistics for the game, it says I have 12/13. However, I will be looking at the case files and there's a newspaper icon next to the 13 cases indicating that I have viewed all 13 newspapers.

Thanks!

You say that there's a newspaper icon next to the 13 cases... but only 12 cases in the entire game have newspapers. 11 of the cases have one newspaper each, and the final case has two newspapers.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not you got each newspaper, there will always be those newspaper icons next to those 12 cases. Maybe you have to beat the mission once for the icon to show up, but you've clearly beaten the game so that's a moot point. ANYWAY, the icon will be washed out if you haven't collected the newspaper, and the icon will be brighter and more pronounced if you have collected the newspaper. In the cases menu, look for the case that has a washed out newspaper icon next to it - that's the one you're missing.

Guzim

Montresor said:
You say that there's a newspaper icon next to the 13 cases... but only 12 cases in the entire game have newspapers. 11 of the cases have one newspaper each, and the final case has two newspapers.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not you got each newspaper, there will always be those newspaper icons next to those 12 cases. Maybe you have to beat the mission once for the icon to show up, but you've clearly beaten the game so that's a moot point. ANYWAY, the icon will be washed out if you haven't collected the newspaper, and the icon will be brighter and more pronounced if you have collected the newspaper. In the cases menu, look for the case that has a washed out newspaper icon next to it - that's the one you're missing.
Thank you so much. It turns out it was the first case I was missing.

Top Bottom