• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

M.W.

This might be old and maybe untrue but someone just told me if you buy it at Kmart you get a $20 Gaming Coupon + Free $19.99 or under game.

jackdoe

Marcellus Wallace said:
This might be old and maybe untrue but someone just told me if you buy it at Kmart you get a $20 Gaming Coupon + Free $19.99 or under game.
True. But you apparently need to be a "Shop Your Way" member which is something akin to a RewardZone member from Best Buy I suppose.

i guess i better pre-order my 360 version soon. i have tuesday all free so playing this all day would be great.

now if only i could get amazon to give me a secure checkout, for some reason my browsers padlock is red and is making me too nervous to put the order in.

Kintaco

Marcellus Wallace said:
Yeah that is what is posted in Fatwallet.com
Fatwallet Post

SPACECADET said:
i guess i better pre-order my 360 version soon. i have tuesday all free so playing this all day would be great.

now if only i could get amazon to give me a secure checkout, for some reason my browsers padlock is red and is making me too nervous to put the order in.
Same day delivery on 360 version is gone now too.

supermackem said:
This is the 40s man this how it use to go down with a bit of civility in your brawls.

Haha. It is a step above slapping someone with a dueling glove. I expected Phelps to say, "I said GOOD DAY!" and walk away after he defeated the other guy.

samdavis

Neo Member
Nobody wants the standalone case that Gamestop offers? I know that people around here hate on Gamestop, and I don't even really go there anymore, but if all of the retailers are going to have some sort of pre-order bonus, I'd rather have something playable instead of a suit that increases gun accuracy.

I know there's the issue of special offers, discounts, and credit but if you're not really worried about that stuff, I'd imagine that Gamestop has the best extra content no?

Kintaco

samdavis said:
Nobody wants the standalone case that Gamestop offers? I know that people around here hate on Gamestop, and I don't even really go there anymore, but if all of the retailers are going to have some sort of pre-order bonus, I'd rather have something playable instead of a suit that increases gun accuracy.

I know there's the issue of special offers, discounts, and credit but if you're not really worried about that stuff, I'd imagine that Gamestop has the best extra content no?
Well Wal-Mart has an extra case as well and a $10 GC, and Best Buy is giving out an extra case for their midnight launch along with the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Marcellus Wallace said:

Always checkout Cheapassgamer's video game deal thread about Kmart deals. An employee for Kmart posts all the deals over there and are all 100% legit. They also are great at responding to anyone who is having any problems with the deals they posted.

Anyway I'm getting LA Noire paid off thanks to the Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat 60$ credit and plus the 20$ credit for buying LA Noire along with a free 19.99 game? Game, set, match.

M.W.

AwesomeSauce said:
Always checkout Cheapassgamer's video game deal thread about Kmart deals. An employee for Kmart posts all the deals over there and are all 100% legit. They also are great a responding to anyone who is having any problems with stores honoring the deals.

Anyway I'm getting LA Noire paid off thanks to the Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat 60$ credit and plus the 20$ credit for buying LA Noire along with a free 19.99 game? Game, set, match.

Good to know. Thanks!

The lack of a proper day/night cycle is disappointing (if it’s even true), nothing major, but still. Watching it go from day to night in real-time ads a lot to the atmosphere. I've got so many good memories of it from Red Dead Redemption.

Also I don’t see the big deal about watching the first 15 minutes of the game if you’re still unsure if you want it. It’s the first 15 minutes.....not the last 15 minutes. I got a taste of things and it confirmed for me that this is a no doubt buy!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Review from OXM UK.

A lucky Gamefaqs user has gotten his hands on the newest issue of OXM UK which features a review for L.A Noire. Receiving a perfect 10/10 L.A Noire is set to be one of the top games this year. Check out the details from the review below.

+ Very meaty, very lengthy (took them about 30 hours to finish the main story, and took them around 40ish to complete everything)

+ Very cinematic, takes many cues from LA Confidential they said. Also according to the reviewer “A game that bridges cinema and the gaming universe.”

+
Motion Scan is the highlight for them, and the feeling of actually being a detective. They said no game comes close to the experience that they had with L.A Noire.

+ Great Narrative. In there opinion they said it has the dramatic, and cinematic storytelling of Heavy Rain, with the complexity of Metal Gear Solid, mixed with the length of Red Dead Redemption (but longer).

+ Excellent pacing. At first you start somewhat slow, but you quickly rise within the ranks. Once you finish the 30 hour epic you become attatched with the world, the characters, the cases. Not many games have done that for him (said the reviewer).

- Gameplay is a bit clunky. If your fan of Red Dead, or GTA IV then the gameplay of LA Noire won’t feel out of place. That said, they were hoping for some advancement in this aspect.

Overall Score: 10/10

“If you were expecting L.A Noire to be a reskinned GTA then you will be left severely disappointed. Many times we hear, “Who will be gaming’s Citizen Kane?”. Personally, I don’t have the gall to say L.A Noire is that type of game. But it is a game that will revolutionize the gaming industry as we know it. Never in my 20 year history of gaming have I encountered a game with as much finesse, intelligence, and attention to detail as L.A Noire, and for that I applaud L.A Noire. A game which has the nerve to do so much, in an industry where a seldom few are.”

HYYYYYYYYYPE

Edit: It has been confirmed this Review is fake.

Kintaco

Tricky I Shadow said:
The lack of a proper day/night cycle is disappointing (if it’s even true), nothing major, but still. Watching it go from day to night in real-time ads a lot to the atmosphere. I've got so many good memories of it from Red Dead Redemption.

Also I don’t see the big deal about watching the first 15 minutes of the game if you’re still unsure if you want it. It’s the first 15 minutes.....not the last 15 minutes. I got a taste of things and it confirmed for me that this is a no doubt buy!
True about the first 15 mins, but I myself already know I want this game and I want everything to be new and on a HDTV screen. :p

Makoto

Sn4ke_911 said:
Very meaty, very lengthy (took them about 30 hours to finish the main story, and took them around 40ish to complete everything)

Oh my. Even if they weren't breezing through crime scenes (they took a while to find clues for example) that has to be at least 20-25 hours of gameplay.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Ohhh shit does that mean tank controls for cole?. One thing i hate about rdr and gta was the fucking tank controls. I was hoping you would get that feeling of attachment, i wonder if you talk to relatives of the victims etc. I really cant wait to play this alough im worried about tank controls.

Jtrizzy said:
30 hours is just overkill...no way it takes that long if you plow through without doing lots of side missions.

Those completion times never make sense to individual players. You can quick-travel all over the place so I'm guessing you can trim 10 to 15 hours of play-time if you blaze through. Then again, why would you want to? :D

Welp that's it release date delivery is gone for good on this.

I just got done with my 5th amazon customer service person and they said it's all automated so there nothing they could do.

I was hoping they could just give me my old 360 order with release date delivery but nope.

Now I won't get either day 1 :(

I'm looking at the front cover again, and does anyone else hate it a lot?

If it wasn’t for the dead girl on the side it would be great, but she just looks so out of place and it looks really amateurish.

The older one they had going for a while looked so much better.....I don’t get why they had to change it for the worse! : /

Jtrizzy said:
30 hours is just overkill...no way it takes that long if you plow through without doing lots of side missions.

30 hours for these types of games is perfect. GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption were fine.......this will be too.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Tricky I Shadow said:

If it wasn’t for the dead girl on the side it would be great, but she just looks so out of place and it looks really amateurish.

The older one they had going for a while looked so much better.....I don’t get why they had to change it for the worse! : /

30 hours for these types of games is perfect. GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption were fine.......this will be too.

I think the cover is awesome.

U4op1.jpg

Makoto

Tricky I Shadow said:

For me it's that random smudge of red on the top right. The majority of the background is blue, why did they just throw red in there?

rdrr gnr

Beelzeboss said:
Welp that's it release date delivery is gone for good on this.

I just got done with my 5th amazon customer service person and they said it's all automated so there nothing they could do.

I was hoping they could just give me my old 360 order with release date delivery but nope.

Now I won't get either day 1 :(
Dang. Good effort though. Well, I guess I can join the "Non-Day 1" club as well.

The Lamp

Where's the cheapest place to pre-order this right now? I know I missed out on the sale a few weeks ago, but I didn't have the money then...

vidal said:
For me it's that random smudge of red on the top right. The majority of the background is blue, why did they just throw red in there?

Indeed...it would have been better if the whole background was just black LOL. Cole looks awesome, but the background is a fugly mess.

The Lamp

vidal said:

To balance out the overwhelming amount of blue.

Blues + Orange/red is a very common color combination.

The blue/red background is supposed to represent police lights.

Jtrizzy said:

30+ hours is perfect. I'm tired of these 10 or less hour games. Rockstar (yeah, I know, Team Bondi) is one of the few devs still giving you a ton of value for your money.

Kintaco

The Lamp said:
Where's the cheapest place to pre-order this right now? I know I missed out on the sale a few weeks ago, but I didn't have the money then...
Amazon - $15 GC
Walmart - $10 GC
Best Buy - $15GC and $10 RZ coupon
Kmart - $20 GC and free $20 game for their reward program customers.

I think that's about it, also consider the bonuses if it matters to you. I like the Best Buy savings/bonus dlc combination myself.

pre-order made. just went with gamestop. i don't really care about which dlc or the extra savings. just want to have a lazy tuesday and have it brought to my door.

Switched my pre-order from 360 to PS3 based on all the info that PS3 is the lead platform + 3 disc thing. Hope I made the right decision & I hope Newegg handles my order switch. This is actually the first multi-plat game that I'm getting for the PS3. Let's just hope they don't have a requirement you sign in to PSN to "activate" or some such -- the DLC part doesn't come into question for me since Newegg doesn't have the pre-order DLC included, just a $15 GC after the fact.

Fjordson

samdavis said:

Free release date shipping + $15 in credit is why I went with Amazon. Also got in on some sort of deal where it was only $50 when I pre-ordered back in January. I'll just pick up the case as DLC if it actually ends up being cool.

demolitio

It's funny how I keep saying I won't get these games although I want to since I have no income and very little money due to some medical bills, but I think games are needed to keep me sane from time to time and the BB deal is too good to pass up since I already had $20 in gift cards which I could use on this game to get it for $40 while getting $25 in gift cards in return. Then whenever I beat it, I could sell it and almost break even as I see the gift cards more of an investment than anything else since I use BB more than anything else.

Does that make any sense or am I crazy? I loved RDR and this game reminds me of that game in a lot of ways due to the atmosphere. I love unique games and this one is definitely unique!

Pandemic

Hey peoples, just a quick question if someone is able to answer.

I'm hoping to order LA Noire from Amazon.com for it to be shipped to Australia because it's at a good price, but I have a concern. If I were to buy it from Amazon, and it highly likely being a US version, would DLC be region locked, meaning I wouldn't be able to purchase DLC off the AU PSN store, but only the US PSN store?

Here's the link for the game,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J5UQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the help.

AiTM

Banned
Pandemic said:
Hey peoples, just a quick question if someone is able to answer.

I'm hoping to order LA Noire from Amazon.com for it to be shipped to Australia because it's at a good price, but I have a concern. If I were to buy it from Amazon, and it highly likely being a US version, would DLC be region locked, meaning I wouldn't be able to purchase DLC off the AU PSN store, but only the US PSN store?

Here's the link for the game,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J5UQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the help.

Probably would be region locked, but you could make a US account, easy to do...

Pandemic

AiTM said:
Probably would be region locked, but you could make a US account, easy to do...
But what if the downloadable content had a price tag, which would then mean I need to get a pre-paid card, which could be a problem.

Might just get it locally I guess, unless someone else has an opinion?

jackdoe

Pandemic said:
But what if the downloadable content had a price tag, which would then mean I need to get a pre-paid card, which could be a problem.

Might just get it locally I guess, unless someone else has an opinion?
Hell, if you're getting US products shipped to you already, why would it be a problem to get US PSN cards as well?

MBison

What is the Best Buy deal exactly, you instantly get a $15 gift card and what is the $10 RZ coupon? Another $10 off something?

I may cancel Amazon at this rate.

jackdoe

MBison said:
What is the Best Buy deal exactly, you instantly get a $15 gift card and what is the $10 RZ coupon? Another $10 off something?

I may cancel Amazon at this rate.
You get a $15 GC and if you're a RewardZone member (which is just a simple free application) you get an additional bonus 500 points which equates to a $10 GC. It takes about 30 to 35 days for the points to process however. There's also a subgroup to RZ known as Gamer's Club. Buy $150 worth of games and you get an additional 500 points (or $10 GC). I went with BB cause I was $55 away from that additional 500 points. So I would end up getting $35 in GCs.

demolitio

Be careful. They say you won't get the 500 RZ bonus points if you use a gift card to buy the game so that kills the deal for me unless there's a way around it.

jackdoe

demolitio said:
Be careful. They say you won't get the 500 RZ bonus points if you use a gift card to buy the game so that kills the deal for me unless there's a way around it.
I actually used a $10 GC on Lords of Shadow and was still able to get the 500 RZ bonus points with that pre-order.

demolitio

jackdoe said:
I actually used a $10 GC on Lords of Shadow and was still able to get the 500 RZ bonus points with that pre-order.
I think I did too on Portal 2 while others have said they didn't get anything from their orders and it's in the terms and conditions. I guess they don't want people to abuse it and double dip on points but I don't get why it's inconsistent.

Maybe I'll go with it and see what happens. If not, I'll be extremely pissed since that will ruin my plan, lol.

Top Bottom